Record

Ours is a Secret Love

 


“So.” Hyuna placed a cup of warm milk on the dresser next to Nabi, a smirk playing at the corner of her lips. Nabi’s flushed expression was one of realization and all Hyuna had to do was waited for the secrets to start spilling.

“So.” Nabi repeated after Hyuna, her own self incapable of any thoughts at the moment. She took a small sip of milk and the heat calmed her down. Hyuna snuggled next to Nabi and pulled the thick blanket over their legs.

“So.” Nabi continued while resting her head on Hyuna’s shoulder.

“So? I don’t have all night hon.” Hyuna poked Nabi’s right cheek and Nabi chuckled meekly.

“So.” Nabi swatted Hyuna’s hand away. “I realized.”

“That’s always a good start.”

Nabi nudged Hyuna playfully and pouted at her friend for being a know-it-all.

“I realized, I might still be attracted to Jeon Jungkook.” Nabi blew out a puff of air and a feeling of relief washed over her now that she finally said it out loud.

“Might? You’re definitely attracted, since the beginning.”

Nabi massaged her temple. “Pika, why are you so nosy and so annoying and so right?” Nabi covered her face as she remembered her obvious behaviors that could have substituted for a confession.

---

“You’re the man.” Hyuna whispered to herself. She headed out a bit later than Nabi and decided not to third-wheel. As Jungkook carried Nabi past Hyuna, both girls were aware that Nabi was staring up at Jungkook, her blush reaching up to her ears. When they entered the hallway, Nabi did feel uncomfortable from the stares of the students, but what’s suffocating was the rapid heartbeat that drummed in her ears and made her head spinned.


 

Jungkook reached up and held a lock of Nabi’s hair in his palm and brought it closer.

“What shampoo do you use? Smells nice.”

“It’s called Everyday’s Christmas, I can show it to you later if you want. Thanks again for the emergency treatment but class is starting so I’ll see you.” Nabi gave a little laugh and headed out the door.

As soon as she was out, Nabi released the breath she has been holding. She scurried to class while fiddling with her hair.

---

Jungkook bent down slightly and touched his lips to the palm of her hand. He opened his eyes and looked longingly at Nabi. His temperature rose, and so did hers. Nabi willed herself not to turn away from his intense stare. She grinned widely and wished that somehow the smile would mask her bashfulness. Her hands were shaking as she reached up to feel his forehead.

“You must still be tired.” Nabi pulled her hand away and placed it on Jungkook’s forehead. “Lie down and get some rest, I’ll go down and inform Mr. Jeon.”

Nabi escaped.*

---

“Record of playing a good sister?” Hyuna teased while looking at her imaginary watch.

“One day twenty three hours and thirty minutes.” Nabi answered. She then set her cup back on the drawer, took the pillow she has been leaning against, and stared at Hyuna.

“Oh no you do-” Hyuna shrieked before a soft punch landed on her face and ruffled her nicely-combed hair.

Hyuna picked up her own weapon and stared Nabi down. The girls laughed their ways into the night with a few screams here and there. It was almost two in the morning when the noise finally stopped. The moon shined through the window and onto the two sleeping faces as if she was protecting their peacefulness.

---

Nabi yawned into her forearm and prayed silently for a miraculous snowstorm to come and sweep her back to the comfort of blanket and pillows.

“Didn’t get enough sleep?” Hyuna yawned out her statement and patted Nabi's shoulder.

“Whose fault do you think it was?”

“Isn’t Jeong Jungkook moving in today?” Hyuna quickly changed the subject and Nabi scoffed playfully.

“Yeah, I’m helping them this afternoon.” Nabi rested her cheek on her best friend’s shoulder.

“You're going to have lunch together again?” Hyuna shrugged her shoulder to try and pushed Nabi off, not that she actually minded.

“Unn.” Nabi complained before letting her head fall back onto Hyuna’s thin shoulder. “I don’t know, I feel like he should eat with his friends.”

“Don’t you want to check up on him?” Hyuna pushed Nabi’s forehead back with her forefinger and Nabi wiggled her nose.

*She’s not wrong.* Nabi let a sigh escaped her lips. “I’ll text him and ask.”

Hyuna winked and have an ok sign. “That’s my girl.”

Bahlalala

“He replied.” Jeti sat up straight and pressed the pop-up icon, a wide smile stretched across her face. “Same place for lunch, Pika.”

Hyuna sighed and rolled her eyes. “You have zero sense. I’ll eat with other people, so you two have a nice chat.”

Hyuna blew a kiss in Nabi’s direction and redirected her head to the black board. Nabi rested her elbow onto the desk and smiled into her palm. For the first time in her three years of high school, Han Nabi didn’t write down any notes.