Exchanging Numbers

Ours is a Secret Love

Just because I'm at a party conversating

That doesn't mean telephone numbers are exchanging

I know I'm no angel, girl

But I'm not so bad no no no 

Coz beautiful girls, all over the world~

“So.” 

Nabi handed Hyuna a cup of milk and sway her head gently to the relaxing background music. Hyuna cringed at Nabi’s imitation of her interrogation-mode and accepted the warm offering. 

“You’re pretty early for our evening reviews.” Hyuna glanced at the clock that has its arms on 6:52 and the steam from the milk patiently grazed her skin.

“The move went pretty smoothly, Jeon Jungkook did most of the work though.” Nabi plodded herself besides Hyuna and linked their arms together, her head landed softly on Hyuna’s frail shoulder.

“So.” Nabi repeated.

“So?” Hyuna parroted.

“How’d you get his number?”

“The freshman today? He offered, since I’m pretty.” Hyuna flipped her hair and Nabi knuckled her forehead in response.

“Come on, don’t be petty.” Once again, Nabi had used Hyuna’s words against her. Hyuna lips uttered a sigh and her hand placed Nabi’s head back on her shoulder in surrender.

“Let’s see, was it the day after we met?”

---

Hyuna examined back and forth the business card that was in her hands and the colorful sign atop a white building. Once she had confirmed that this plain building was indeed Hope Orphanage, Hyuna slid the card into the back-pocket of her tight jeans and swung open the door with enthusiasm. As soon as she entered, a slight gasp escaped Hyuna’s pink lips as a middle-aged woman spun around and greeted her with a motherly smile.

“Hello, I’m the new volunteer Kim Hyuna, nice to meet you.” Hyuna did a small bow and held out both her hands in respect. The elder lady took Hyuna’s hand and shook it amiably.

“I’m Mrs. Cho.” She introduced as her eyes simultaneously looked Hyuna up and down. “I’m so glad to have such a pretty volunteer.”

A rosy pink colored Hyuna’s cheeks and the way her lips slightly curled portrayed the humbleness of this beauty. Hyuna had yet to look around the small and cozy building when Mrs. Cho tugged on her sleeves and directed her toward the back of the building.

“This is the employee are where you can keep your things. We do have uniforms but they’re not required, as long as your clothings are work appropriate.” Mrs. Cho winked and a genuine smile followed her playful action. Hyuna found herself mirroring that smile.

“I’ll go give the children a heads up, you take your time.” With that, Mrs. Cho excused herself with a salute and a chiming giggle slipped past Hyuna’s lips - she was loving this place already.

Excited to get started, Hyuna turned the knob without hesitation and barged into the room. Within seconds, she found herself fixed on the spot as she stared, with slightly agape, at the half boy in front of her. Hyuna’s surprise elevated to another level as she recognized the almond-brown, somewhat messy hair that fell gently on the boy’s chiseled face and barely covering his charming eyes.

“Kim Taehyung?”

“Yes, but um...do you have any plans to stop staring?”

Hyuna consciousness snapped back to their current situation.

“Sorry, you don't look like you mind it though.” Her lips curved into a feline smile as she drew the door closed behind her. At that moment, Taehyung released the air that was clogged in his throat and tried his best to silently inhale more oxygen.

“Don't look like I mind it?” Taehyung hurriedly put on a white, long-sleeve shirt and collapsed onto the bench right behind him. He hugged his torso and felt a hot current radiating through his body. He turned to his left and stared at his blank reflection. His nervousness couldn’t possibly have shown, could it?

“Kim Taehyung, are you done?”

Taehyung didn’t know why but he jolted slightly at the sound of Hyuna’s voice. The way his name sounded coming from her lips somehow filled his insides with a tingling sweetness.

“Is it because she resembles Taehee?” Taehyung tried hard to recall the image of his younger sister.

“Kim Taehyung~”

The way she oozed out his name wasn’t fair at all.

Taehyung got up and took two long breaths before prying the door open. Hyuna was on the other side, smiling brightly at him, and Kim Taehyung went “woah” for the third time in his life.

“Sorry, that surprised me.”

“No worries.” Hyuna shrugged her petite shoulders and pushed past Taehyung.

“I won’t be changing so you can feel free to stare as, let’s see, revenge?” Hyuna teased and threw her bag and jacket into the nearest open locker.

And Kim Taehyung? Well Kim Taehyung did just as he was told and...stared. He examined the black-haired beauty in front of him and was mesmerized at the way she pulled her hair up into a ponytail, revealing her pale nape. Was it normal to think that a person’s nape was attractive? And honestly, he didn't think that plain long-sleeve and those dark blue jeans were appropriate at all. The way the shirt clung to her curves and how the jeans accentuated her defined legs. 
*She should change.* Taehyung was startled at the spontaneous thought and decided to repressed it in a far corner of his mind. 

“You really did stared, huh?” Hyuna shook her head and approached him. “We should head out to the common area, I can’t be late on my first day right?”

Hyuna motioned for Taehyung to follow her and once again, he did as he was told.

“I’ll be working with you from now on?” Taehyung questioned with a pleasant tone in his voice. Hyuna just nodded as she pulled out a rectangular object from her pockets.

“Number, for future communication.”

Taehyung accepted the phone and entered his contact information. Before handing the phone back to Hyuna, Taehyung took a brief moment to notice her simply-designed phone case. A red “V” wrapped in roses against a solid black background. It was rather cute for someone with such a strong and charming image.

“Who’s V?” He mumbled.

“Hi, I’m Kim Hyuna and I’ll be working with you guys from now on~” Hyuna ignored his question, or perhaps she didn't hear him, and shined a smile toward the orphanage kids. They all welcomed her with love, obviously happy to have such a beauty caring for them.

In the back, Taehyung was unable to ward off the disappointment at how fast it took to travel between different areas in this small, rustic building.

---

“And you guys been texting ever since?” Nabi looted Hyuna of her phone and entered the password. “It’s been a few days and you didn't tell me?”

“Well, you were busy with other...things.” Hyuna winked and Nabi rolled her eyes.

“Wait, I can’t find his name on here.” Nabi muttered incoherently and her finger froze when she scrolled past a certain name.

“OH NO YOU DIDN’T! KIM HYUNA!” Nabi’s shriek filled the room which was then accompanied by a frantic giggle and a few jumps up and down the couches.

“What, what?!” Hyuna confused expression was instantly resolved once she understood what had just happened.

“You.saved.his.name.as.V?!” Nabi was all up in Hyuna’s face with her phone and the lad hid herself from embarrassment.

“I can’t believe this day would come.” Nabi covered her face as tears rolled down her eyes from pride, shock, and mostly amusement.

Hyuna reclaimed her phone and pushed Nabi down on the couch, her knees resting on each side of Nabi’s slim waist.

“Han Nabi, I hereby request of thou the oath of ultimate best friend secrecy.” Hyuna pointed the phone at Nabi the way a soldier would point a sword at his fallen enemy.

“I, Han Nabi, accepted thy’s request on the condition that thou shall do the same for moa.” Nabi giggled as Hyuna fell next to her on the couch, which was definitely wasn’t big enough for the both of them.

“I humbly offer my gratitude.” Hyuna tickled Nabi’s left ear with her soft breath. Both girl stayed in the rather uncomfortable position for a good ten minutes before Nabi urged the other party to get up and be productive. Hyuna groaned and plopped her heavy onto the floor, her head resting against the crook of Nabi’s neck. The prodigy heartlessly pushed her best friend’s head off and tapped impatiently at the sprawled open textbook on the table.

Fine, fine. Hyuna scrunched up her perfectly adorable nose and assume a student’s responsibilities.