And at Last I See the Light

Ours is a Secret Love

“So where exactly is the water fountain?” Nabi asked as she munched on the strawberry cotton candy she had just gotten from a stall nearby.

“I think we can just follow the crowd of people, it’s close to 8 so they should be heading there.” Jungkook answered before stealing a piece of cotton candy from Nabi. She sent him a look but otherwise continued to let him steal from her.

“So, why the lanterns?” Jungkook typically didn’t pay much attention to these festive events.

“Oh, it’s an annual event organized by this old couple. Apparently they were inspired by the movie Tangled, you know, about how you make a wish upon the release of the lantern, hoping your loved ones will find their way back to you.”

“That’s quite romantic.”
“Yeah...I stopped going a couple of years ago, ever since dad left.” Nabi didn’t mean to bring the mood down, but seeing how Jungkook stopped sneaking cotton candy from her, she probably did.

“Don’t look so down, Jungkook-ah. I’m not hurt anymore, theirs was a healthy break-up.” She smiled and passed the cotton candy to Jungkook.

“I’ll give you the rest of the cotton candy, so cheer up?”
Jungkook let out a weak laugh. If he was 
to be honest, he was feeling down not because he was worried that Nabi was sad, but because he was reminded of his parents’ divorce. It was a mutual separation, but he was still hurt over it. He still scorned his father for not holding on to his mom. Jeon Jungkook felt so immature.

“I’m not a kid you know.” He managed to respond after what seems like an eternity.

“I know.”

Honestly, Jeon Jungkook felt so immature.


 

“I ran to get us some lanterns but they only have one left.” Nabi positioned the lantern between her and Jungkook, a small pout playing at her lips.

Jungkook chuckled at the sight. How could so much cuteness be contained in such a small body?

“It’s ok noona, we can share a wish.”

“No, it’s fine.” Nabi pushed the lantern toward Jungkook. “You take it, you seem to be in greater need of a wish than I do.”
Jungkook placed his hand over Nabi’s and pulled her a closer with the width of the lantern being the only thing that separated them.

“We can share a wish, noona.” He repeated, this time with a voice so gentle that it matched whisper.
Nabi simply nodded. They both closed their eyes and the world went silent. After a few seconds, Jungkook 
let go of Nabi’s hand and Nabi let go of the lantern. They both watched in contentment as their lantern joined the others to form a mini galaxy.

Jungkook gazed down at Nabi, admiring her features amidst the soft lighting created by the thousands of lanterns.
“What did you wish for?” Jungkook finally spoked.

Nabi looked down to meet Jungkook’s eyes and a mysterious smile crept up her lips.

“It won’t come true if I tell you you know.”
“Typical...Are you not going to ask what I wished for?”
“Will you tell me if I did?” Nabi teased.

“No, since I want it to come true no matter what.”

*I wished for a forever with you.*

“Then no, I won’t ask what you wished for.” She smiled and they both continued to admire the view.



 

“We forgot to look for Taehyung and Hyuna!” Nabi realized after a while and they both just looked at each other, like deers in headlight, before bursting out in laughters.

---

“So where exactly is the water fountain?” Taehyung asked as Hyuna stole cotton candy from him.

“It’s just up ahead. But with this crowd of people, I hope we can find Nabi and Jungkook.” Hyuna remarked.

“It’s ok if we don’t find them. So, you know, they can be alone for a bit longer.”

*So we can be alone for a bit longer.*

Hyuna turned to look at Taehyung. “Woah, Kim Taehyung, to think that you understand romance.”

“We should go get lanterns before they run out!” Hyuna dashed to the stall but regrettably, there was only one lantern left.
Really, it’s almost as if there’s always only one lantern left.

“You can take the lantern Tae, since I don’t have anything to wish for right now.” Hyuna amiably handed Taehyung the lantern.

“I also don’t have anything to wish for.” Taehyung said as he stared at the lantern. “I think it’ll be better if you take it after all.”
“Lanterns are no-take-backs you know.”

“But…”
“No buts.”
“But…”
“Why don’t you two just share a wish?” The stall owner suggested. “That’s what this one other couple did.”
“We’re not a coup-”
“Thanks, we’ll do 
that.” Taehyung replied before Hyuna could even finish her sentence. He turned back to meet two questioning eyes.

“Kim Taehyung, what was that?”
“What was what?” Playing dumb seems to be the right move here.

“Anyways, let’s just make a wish, everyone else already released their lanterns.” Changing the subject seems to be another right move.

Hyuna just shook her head and placed her hands over Taehyung’s. Taehyung smiled brightly at the interaction.

“Do you want to come closer?” He suggested. “It looks weird being so far apart when we’re both holding onto the same lantern.”

“You’re being surprisingly smooth today, my heart skipped a beat.” Hyuna let out a small laughter before stepping closer.

“I wish…”
“Wait, you’re going to say your wish out loud?” Taehyung questioned. Isn’t that going against every
rules ever established about not saying your wishes out loud?
“Why not? If a wish doesn’t come true simply because it is said out loud, then it will never have come true anyway.”

Hyuna smiled and continued with her wish. “I wish,” she shifted her gaze to meet Taehyung’s, “I wish for a romantic, heartfelt, earth-shattering confession from my ideal guy on the day of my birthday.”

Taehyung laughed, “what a silly wish.”

“Let see if yours is any better?”

“Um, let’s see. I wish for this world not to have body hugging white clothing and high-waisted skinny jeans.”

“There goes half of my wardrobe.”

“I’m just kidding, I already made my wish as you were making yours.”
“Wow, so you’re not going to tell me what it is?”
“Um, maybe?”
Hyuna rolled her eyes and gave Taehyung’s hand a slight nudge. As if understanding her cues, he let go of their lantern, a satisfying grin appeared on their faces.

Taehyung looked down at Hyuna and watched her as she watched the rising lantern. Who knew that he could find someone he had only met for a short amount of time so endearing. Was it the way the messy black hair gave way to the wind, or was it her flushed cheeks that appeared even more flushed due to the light of the lanterns? Kim Taehyung didn’t know what it was, but he thought that he would do anything to make this girl’s wishes come true.

But wait...did she wished for an ideal guy? Who? Which guy? Did she have a specific guy in mind? Was this guy him? Was this guy Kim Taehyung?

A strong but sudden urge of curiosity, mixed in with some unknown bitterness, washed over Kim Taehyung.


 

*Who do you want a confession from?*

---

That night, both Nabi and Hyuna went to bed early due to the exhaustion of the day. Hyuna insisted on taking Nabi home, leaving Jungkook and Taehyung to walk home by themselves. Taehyung invited Jungkook over and the latter agreed, seeing as how they both have things left to say.

“Hey Tae, am I immature? For resenting my dad even though it was clearly a mutual divorce?”

“Well, we are all entitled to our own emotion.” Taehyung answered as he fidgeted with his phone, debating whether or not to text Hyuna.
“I just felt like such a kid. And here I thought I can get Nabi to finally look at me, turns out I haven’t even caught up 
to her yet.”
Jungkook buried his face in Tae’s pillow. Taehyung
know that being a listener is the best option for now. Besides, he himself was also too immature to even know what to say to comfort his best friend.

“I’m in the same boat. I’m still just a kid who feel awed at a girl for being too beautiful and get irritated and possessive for some reason when she mentioned another guy. In front of her, everything’s just exposed, I can’t hide anything. Even now, I’m debating whether or not to text her and asked about the ideal guy she mentioned, even though I have absolutely no rights to. I’m probably the only one feeling this attraction, and having such thoughts make me even more immature.”
“Kim Taehyung, are you dumb?” Jungkook turned to face his best friend. He could clearly see that Hyuna 
noona was interested in Taehyung, but why couldn’t Taehyung himself see that? Maybe it really was true that the people involved were more oblivious than those who are simply observing.

“Me? Why?”
“Not telling, my love life is struggling yours should too.”

Taehyung simply gave Jungkook a blank stare. “You really are immature.”