Chapter 12

On that day

Junhyung's POV

 

"And... that's a wrap! We're done for today, thank you!" The photographer yelled and we wooped, thanking all the staff before heading off to get changed. We were at a photoshoot for a magazine, and I was glad that it was over. It was early in the morning, and although we were exhausted from yesturday's night practice we were in a good mood, especially Kikwang who had seemed to have drank something strange because he was jumping all around the place like a excited child.

 

"Someone's happy," Hyunseung said as we were getting our makeup off.

 

"I know right?" I nodded my head at Kikwang, who was now singing an old trot song, and forcing a sighing maknae to dance with him.

 

"I didn't mean him, he's always like that. I meant you," Hyunseung peered at me suspiciously, as if I had done something. "Your smiling more than ever and skin is glowing. What are you so happy about?"

 

"Don't overeact Hyunseung, can't I be smiling for no reason?" I asked, and although I tried to frown the corners of my mouth turned up. Hyuseung was right; I was happy today, although I wasn't quite sure why.Maybe I had a goodnight's sleep, or something like that. But I had a strange feeling that wasn't the reason why when we came back changed into our normal clothes.

 

"Hello!" Eunha chirped, smiling at us even though she had woken up earlier than any of us. She insisted on going to our photoshoot, even when it meant having to wait for two hours inside the studio.

 

"Eunha!" Kikwang yelled, grabbing her cheeks and squeezing them. "I missed you so much!"

 

"Yah, what are you doing?!" I pulled Kikwang's hands off her, outraged. Eunha just laughed, and then pulled out 6 containers.

 

"I made you guys something!" She said, handing each of us a container. Her hand slightly touched mine as she gave mine out and I couldn't help feel a tingle in my fingers. What on earth was wrong with me.

 

"WOW!" Dongwoon shouted, everyone turning around to look at him. "This is so cool, Eunha!" he said in a slightly quieter voice, grinning from ear to ear.

 

I opened mine, and was stunned to see what she had made. Inside the box was our breakfast; cute little pig-shaped sausages, bright red cherry tomatos and colourful sushi and the words 'Beast!' written on the rice with beans. It wasn't the best, but it was the fact that Eunha had bothered to make this for us that made me smile.

 

"You woke up early in the morning to make us this?" Doojoon asked, already digging in.

 

"I just wanted to show you guys how thanksful I am for being so friendly and nice to me from the day we meet," Eunha looked down at her fingers, suddenly shy. "I know it's not enough but..."

 

"Stop! This is more than enough," Yoseob told her, smiling. "We owe you, not the other way around. Besides, your our little sister."

 

"She's so cute that I want to hug her!" Kikwang reached his arms out, crinkling his eyes. "Come to oppa!"

 

"Kikwang! Stop it!" We all yelled at him, protecting Eunha from him. "Your so weird!"

 

After that, we began to eat and every now and then I began to look up at Eunha, who was laughing at something Doojoon said. The first time I had seen her she had looked plain, just another girl. But suddenly, although she was wearing the same clothes as she had been that day, she looked healthier, brighter... and pretty. Her hair was glossy, skin just like how I imagined Snow White's to be. Her eyes were a light brown with a tinge of amber, almost honey like. Her eyelashes...I remembered the small incident two days ago, how I was so close to her that I could see her long curly eyelashes, her surprised expression and a small scar above her eyebrows. It had been quick, but it felt like how it looked in those movies: as if time had frozen. The only way I knew that it hadn't was how hard my heart had been beating, as if I had just gone for a run. We had been so close...

 

Suddenly I felt extremely hot and I blushed from my neck to my face. Holding my cool hand to my burning cheeks, I could feel my heart beating fast again.

 

"Junhyung, you've gone red! What are you thinking?" Dongwoon asked me in surprised, trying to take a good look at me.

 

"Maybe he's thinking dirty thoughts," Doojoon slyly said, and I gave him a glare.

 

"It's h-hot in here," I grumbled, staring only at my almost empty container. "And I do not think of dirty thoughts."

 

"Of course you do! I mean, you are a guy." Hyunseung rambled on. "Why, it was only last week when you said-"

 

"I think Manager hyung is calling us," Yoseob interrupted. He was right, but now he was shouting at us to hurry up. Quickly standing up, we ran to the van where he scolded us for being so slow.

 

As he was lecturing us, I whispered "thanks", into Yoseob's ear.

 

"For what?" he innocently asked, and then smiled.

 

Eunha's POV

 

 'They're very hyper today,' I noticed as we were in the van. They were singing along to songs, and dancing along. Kikwang was the loudest, and accidentally hit Hyunseung in the face while he was enthusiastically dancing. While they fussed over him, I looked over to Yoseob who had been in my mind ever since I saw him with that girl two days ago. Who was that girl? And how important was she to have made Yoseob so happy?

 

Don't get me wrong; I wasn't jealous. But I was curious, although I perfectly knew that it was none of my buisness. So curious that in the end I couldn't help ask the person I was most closest to in the house: Junhyung.

 

"Junhyung!" I whispered to him when we were back in the house. Everyone else was resting, and their eyes were glued to the tv which wasn't surprising as there were pretty girl idols on.

 

He looked at me, and then actually turned around to see whether I was talking to someone else called Junhyung.

 

"Junhyung!" I whispered again, this time pointing at him. "Could you help me with something?"

 

Slightly avoiding my eyes, he walked to me and asked, "What?"

 

"Could I ask you a strange question?"

 

"Depends really."

 

I took in a deep breath. "Does Yoseob...have a girlfriend?"

 

This caught his attention. He was staring at me now, curiously. "And why would you want to know?"

 

"For no reason, I was just wondering," I said as casually as I could. From how secretively Yoseob had been meeting the girl, I suspected that either s just didn't know or he didn't want them to find out. If he didn't want anyone to know, I didn't want to make anyone suspicious.

 

He kept staring at me and not answering, a funny expression on his face. Finally he said, "I'll tell you if you do something for me."

 

Now I was suspicious. "Like what?"

 

"Nothing bad. Just close your eyes."

 

I hesistated, before doing as he said. "Fine. But you have to answer my question!"

 

"Okay, just kept them closed. Okay, you can open them now."

 

I slowly opened them, and then jumped. Junhyung's face was a few centimetres away from me and he was staring at me with huge eyes. I was shocked, and then annoyed.

 

"Why did you do that? You gave me a shock!" I smacked Junhyung, whose cheeks were slightly pink. He rubs his arms where I had hit him but didn't say anything. "So are you going to answer my question?"

 

"I don't know."

 

"But you said you would!"

 

"That's my answer:I don't know."

 

I opened my mouth, and then closed it in disbelief. He was grinning cheekily at me, and laughing at my expression.

 

"Not fair!" I hit him again, this time harder. "You cheated!"

 

"Ouch, for a girl you can sure hit hard!" he yelped, slapping my hands away.

 

"I get to ask another question then. Do you know someone called Jieun?"

 

This caught him off track and he stopped slapping my hands. "How do you know Jieun?"

 

"Nevermind, would it be okay if I asked who she was?" I said as politely as I could. He looked confused and then just as he opened his mouth someone noogied him.

 

"Sorry Eunha but I need to borrow Junhyung. We have some cleaning to do!" Doojoon dragged him, despite how hard Junhyung fought.

 

I had been so close. "It's okay, I don't mind. Do you know where Yoseob is?" I asked.

 

"Um he just went outside, he's on rubbish duty." He answered, as he covered Junhyung's cursing mouth.

 

"Oh okay! Thanks for helping me Junhyung!" I told him, and then raced outside to the elevators. After waiting for the elevators for a while, I decided to just run down the stairs. By the time I finish I was exhausted-I hated any form of exercise. But I knew that if I didn't ask Yoseob soon I would probably drive myself insane from curiousity. The air was extremely cold outside, and I stood for a while trying to catch my breath. After searching for a while, I spotted Yoseob and yelled, "Yoseob!" and ran to him. "Oh there you are-" and stopped running, realising that he wasn't alone once again. Why did I always seem to meet him at the wrong time?

 

"If this the type of people your friends with?" the woman looked at me up and down. I suddenly realised that I was in my bright red sweatpants and old slippers and was slightly embarrassed. Seeing the woman up close, I saw that she was beautiful but cold, with no warmth in her. Her short haircut made her seem fierce, and she was dressed very formally. She was a little taller than Yoseob, and had a hard expression on her face. Yoseob wasn't looking too happy himself, and almost seemed angry.

 

"Oh, hello... My name is Eunha Park..." i bowed uncertainly at her but she ignored me.

 

"I'm telling you Yoseob, you made your point. Your famous now, you've won. We'll forget everything that happened if you just come back. This is your last chance."

 

"And I told you, I'm not coming back. I plan to stay here for a very long time. Singing is my dream," he stared directly at her, with no expression but his eyes were slightly sad. "I wish you could understand that."

 

The woman looked at him for a long time, before answering back with a more harsh voice that gave me goosebumps. "This was your last chance, and you still choose this?"

 

"I choose whatever the hell I want."

 

"Then I see there's no point in me being here. Your very stubborn Yoseob, and that's pretty much the only thing we have in common. I won't be seeing you from now, and don't even think about coming back." She turned her back on us, and then walked away without turning away once. As soon as she was gone, I looked at Yoseob who had an expressionless look on his face, before he turned to me and smiled.

 

"I'm sorry you had to see that, I was hoping no one would." Yoseob said warmly to me, not forcefully but genuinely.

 

"N-no, I'm sorry for disturbing your conversation," I stuttered, embarrassed at my nosiness. It had been none of my buisness, and yet I had stuck my nose into it. When was I ever going to learn that knowing less was sometimes better?

 

"No, it's fine. She's quite a character, isn't she." Yoseob asked me, this time with a forced smile. I could tell me meant the woman.

 

"Er... she seemed very clean," I said, trying not to offend Yoseob in case she was someone close to him. I still didn't know whether she was her girlfriend, or at least a previous girlfriend. I noticed that as they were talking the atmosphere was stiff, and cold.

 

He laughed. "I'm sure you're curious to know who she is, aren't you?"

 

"No, I fine..." I lied.

 

"Nonsense, it's written all over your face." He sat down on the steps and I followed his actions. "So, who do you think she is?"

 

I gulped; I was hoping that he wouldn't ask me that. "Your... girlfriend?" I hesistantly asked.

 

He smiled, but didn't answer. When he saw that I really didn't know, he took in a deep breath. "This might be a long story, but I want to share it with you if you don't mind." I nodded, turning my attention all on him and he began.

 

"That woman that you saw isn't my girlfriend. Her name is Yang Jieun and she's my sister."

 

Yoseob's POV

 

I saw Eunha's eyes go round, but if she wanted to say something she didn't.

 

"You might've noticed, but her and I aren't exactly what you would call on friendly terms. And neither is the rest of my family and I.

My sister and I look very different, almost unrelated. She looks mature while I look like a little kid, she's tall while I'm short, and we have completely different facial features. But what's more different is our personalities. Since she was young she was calm, logical and sensible. I wasn't rebellious or anything, but I was just louder, crazier and immature compared to her.

Ever since she started school that was all I was, compared to her. Although I was slightly older than her, it was my sister that my family favoured. She was the one who won all the prizes, came first in class all the time and became class captain. She was exactly how the rest of my family was, perfect. Yet I could never live up to the standards my parents wanted me to be. The only thing I won was a pencil in kindergarden and although I tried my hardest I always came second or third in class. I was never the best.

My parents never said they were disappointed in me, but I could tell just by the way they looked at me, and then at Jieun. They already had my elder brother as their son, and I knew that they didn't need me."

 

"Yoseob." Eunha whispered to me but I carried on.

 

"I was always a pretty bubbly person at school, and the one who laughed the most. But slowly as I grew older, I grew quieter and quieter until one day I was just a shadow, someone who never said a word. Someone who just took up space, sat on the fifth chair at dinner, and one of those people in class who you didn't even know existed. Sometimes I wish I hadn't existed.

It was in high school when I found the thing that saved me. I don't know if I would be here right now if I hadn't discovered it. Music. We had our first music lesson one day, and we had a teacher called Mrs Kim. Mrs Kim was an old lady, who looked fragile but had sharp eyes. She was strict, but the moment she sang she was someone else. I envied her for that. From then on, I always tried extra hard in music lessons, and soon I found that music class was the only time where I could drift away from my cold family, and to somewhere else. It was my escape.

A few lessons after our first, Mrs Kim told me to wait for her after class and I remember waiting for her nervously, wondering what I had done. It surprised me when she told me I had an astonishing singing voice.

That was the first time someone had ever praised me. She said that she'd never seen someone who loved singing so much, and she then told me that she also taught lessons after school to students like me. She offered me to come, and it wasn't until she told me that it was for free that I said yes. My family wasn't poor; we were actually quite well off but money wasn't the problem. It was the fact that I knew my parents would be strongly against me singing.

I was born into a high rank family. My father is a doctor, my mother a lawyer and my elder brother is currently studying to become a dentist. Actually, he might be dentist now, but I can't be sure. It was common knowledge to know that they expected Jieun and I to go into a career with a high position. However, I didn't want to become a doctor, or anything like that. I had nothing that I wanted to become, until I went to those lessons.

At those lessons I meet Junhyung who was a year above me, and other people who shared one thing in common with me: we all loved singing. Those lessons were the reason why I looked forward to each day, and I slowly became more social, and began to enjoy my life. But Mrs Kim was an old lady, and soon she passed away. I still miss her to this day.

Before she past away, she told me and Junhyung about an audition for a company that was an opportunity of a life time. Although I was uncertain, she really wanted us to try it out. She said that she had faith in us, so after her funeral we went to the audition and although we barely made it, we got in.

I hadn't told anyone in my family about my singing, and I didn't plan to. Junhyung at last persuaded me since they were bound to find out soon, and so I told them the day I got accepted into the company."

 

I paused, catching my breath and looked at Eunha. She was serious, and was intentely looking at me. I carried on.

 

"To say it simply, they were 100% against me singing as soon as I told them. They were embarrassed, and ashamed at my choice and even more appalled when I told them that I was going to become a singer. They said that they wouldn't let me go to the company, and that even if I did I would never reach the top. My parents told me that I was a failure and always would be, and then told me that if I wasn't going to stop singing that I would have to leave the house. I was sick of them discouraging me, and sick of how I was living. And so I left my family.

I lived with Junhyung's family from then on, and they treated me like their second son. I never saw the rest of my family again, but I had to see Jieun everyday at school and watch her ignore me as if I didn't exist.

When you first came to move in with us, it was my sister's birthday. Although I still felt anger towards my family for not respecting my choice, I still loved them and every year even though she didn't reply I sent her a text saying happy birthday. That was why I was acting weird that day, and I'm sorry to say the reason why I didn't talk to you a lot. Then, on that day where we picked you up from your old job, I saw her for the first time since I graduated from high school. Although she was all grown up now, I instantly recognised her. But she ran away, and I didn't know why. Later that night, she sent a text to me telling me to meet her and I did. To my surprise, she seemed glad to see me, and told me that the rest of the family missed me. I didn't know that she had met me for a reason, and I fell for it.

Today, when I met her again she told me that if I gave up my dream as a singer, that my family would gladly take me back in as their son and everything could go back to normal. But I told her that I couldn't, and she got angry, saying that I was betraying the family for a hopeless dream. That was when I realised that everything was a lie, and that they hadn't changed. So we began to fight, and you pretty much saw the rest of it."

 

When I finished saying this, it was quiet. All I could hear was Eunha breathing and the wind howling. Even after I had said all that, I wasn't finished.

 

"I know that I should hate them for not loving me for who I am, but I can't. I know that I should go back to them and live how they want me to live, and be that perfect son but I just can't. As you can tell, I'm a extremely selfish person, and now I've lost my family thanks to that." I bitterly laughed, and then covered my face with my hands.

 

There was a silence, and then Eunha softly spoke. "I don't think you're selfish at all. In fact, although I've not known you for long, your easily the most unselfish person I know. And you do have a family; you have Beast."

 

I looked at her in surprise at what she said, and then realised she was right. Beast had been more of a family than my real family had ever been. They'd helped me gone through the hard times, and always been there for me.

 

"You can't choose your family, and that's that. But I hope you know that there are people who will always support you. I know I will." she smiled, and I suddenly felt a rush of gratitude for her. It had been over a week since Eunha had saved our lives, and now although she hadn't saved me again, she was beside my side, helping me. I owed her so much.

 

"Thank you, Eunha." I said, and then looked down to find myself holding hands with her. However it wasn't weird... just comfortable. Almost as if she was my real sister.

 

She looked at me confused. "What for?"

 

"For just being here with me." I said, then blushed at what I'd said.

 

She smiled, and I found myself staring at the same angel I had seen on the first day I had meet her. "This is what family do."