Playing with Fire

Writings

Playing with Fire

 

 

-

 

 

“ you.”

 

This is what Luhan spits out between clenched teeth as Kris approaches his cell and laughs spitefully at him.

 

“ me all you want, but don’t forget that you’re the one behind bars and not me,” Kris smiles, although it doesn’t quite reach his eyes. “You practically played right into my trap!” He adds with a satisfied smirk. “‘Tell Yixing that Jongdae wants to meet him!’ And you believed me. Just like an obedient lapdog, you ran off to the deliver the message while Jongdae blew up Yixing in your own house. We didn’t even have to worry about getting you out of the way. In a way, it’s partly your fault Yixing died. After all, if you had questioned me just a little bit, you might have been smart enough to save Yixing. And when we put the blame on you in court, you didn’t even defend yourself. Stupid. So stupid.” He shakes his head mockingly. “That’s why you’re in prison for life, and we aren’t. Because we’re smart enough to know what really matters, and how to get it.”

 

“Murderer,” Luhan hisses at him. “Killer. Betrayer. Bastard. Yixing thought you were his best friend. How could you do this? How can you live with yourself!?” The last part comes out in a bit of a shriek, but Luhan knows he can’t take it anymore.

 

Kris sighs, riffling casually through a thick stack of bills. “Why, because of the money, of course. Money is power, and I enjoy power very much.” His eyes gleam slightly.

 

“You-” Luhan loses it and spits directly into Kris’ face. “You sick, backstabbing monster! You would choose wealth over a friend’s life!”

 

Kris produces a handkerchief and calmy wipes his face clean before approaching the bars and slapping Luhan square on his cheek. The force pushes Luhan back slightly, but he doesn’t move, glaring defiantly at Kris as a red weal starts to form on his cheek..

 

Offhandedly, Kris checks his expensive black watch. “Oh! I guess it’s time for me to go. I have a meeting with someone, an official very high up, you know. He’ll probably offer me a building contract, and I’ll have to accept. After all, I wouldn’t want to bring down the reputation of our deceased friend Yixing’s company, especially after he left it all to me in his will.”

 

He makes a move to leave, and then pauses, considering.

 

“Also, I guess I better shut you up, too, like Jongdae suggested, in case you talk. I doubt you will, but better safe than sorry. It's too risky otherwise. Too much money at stake to be lost.”

 

Luhan pales. He knows what is coming next even before Kris pulls out the match and strikes it against the side of the small box.

 

And when Kris comments, “I hear there isn’t a heater in this prison. Enjoy the heat, Lulu!”, as he walks away, Luhan can already feel the flames up his face when the match hits the dirt.

 

-