Grey Skies

Writings

Grey Skies

 

 

-

 

For Luhan, the sky is grey.

 

It's always been like this, and he doesn't very much mind. He often thinks to himself that it must be the same for children living in polluted cities, which is rather silly, but it works for him. He pretends that lakes must resemble the real sky to a point. It's enough.

 

When he draws pictures, he makes sure to color the sky blue, even though that's not really how he sees it. A blue sky must be beautiful, he thinks to himself, but there is nothing he can do about it, so he simply accepts that.

 

One day, as he is sharpening his blue colored pencil (which is worn to a nub), the tip breaks off and nicks his finger. A blue line is drawn across his pinky. He studies the little mark, and suddenly the world is spinning around him and flashes to black.

 

When the black clears away, he is standing in a misty garden. A small river trundles by, and the sky is, as always, grey. There is an old stone bridge running over the river, and a figure in blue stands upon it. He turns and beckons to Luhan, so Luhan walks over  to him, quite unafraid.

 

As Luhan nears the man, he sees he is fairly young and wears a bright smile. His features are quite feminine.

He bounds up to Luhan enthusiastically and offers his hand.

 

"Hi! My name is Sehun. What's yours?"

 

Luhan stares, not quite sure how to react, and slowly takes his hand, shaking it doubtfully.

 

"...I'm Luhan. Nice to meet you."

 

"Luhan, that's a pretty name. Here, let me show you around. Oh, by the way, this is the Sapphire Garden - I hope you like it!"

 

Luhan can only nod, slightly dumbfounded by how fast things are moving, as Sehun grabs his hand and tugs him along, impatient to begin.

 

Starting with the Pool of Gems, which is a deep blue, and ending with the Azure Cave, Luhan is given a complete and in-depth tour of the Sapphire Garden. Sehun's energy seems inexhaustible, and after a while Luhan begins to enjoy himself despite his initial doubts. Among the highlights of their adventures include a stunning butterfly covered hill and a quaint picnic near a huge red mushroom. When the sun begins to set (to Luhan, a darker grey splotch descending into the ocean), he is well at ease and wishes longingly that the day could last forever. Spending time with Sehun in the mystical garden has taught him something important; something important and rather bittersweet.

 

He has never realized until now what a flat life he leads.

 

A colorless life, to say the least.

 

Thinking back on it now, he wonders how he could have ever been satisfied. Did he really not crave anything more? Did he really not do anything about it?

 

Living that kind of life will be unbearable now to Luhan, who has tasted the color blue and many others besides. But if he has to go back to that dull life, at least he can go with the memories of a happy afternoon spent laughing and following a certain energetic young man around. (A young man who, Luhan admits, may make his heart beat a little faster)

 

He sighs.

 

Suddenly, Sehun grins and shakes his arm, distracting him from his thoughts.

 

“It’s almost time for you to go, Luhan, but I hope you had fun!” He suddenly grows somber, countenance darkening.

 

“Hyung. You’re the only one who’s come here for a while. I’ll really miss you... don’t forget me, alright?”

 

Luhan nods. He won’t ever forget Sehun. To his embarrassment, his voice cracks a bit as he answers.

 

“Of course I won’t. Thank you for a wonderful time! Today was the greatest day in my life...”


He trails off, wanting to say more, but not knowing how to express it.

 

At his words, Sehun brightens up again, and leans close to Luhan, whispering something quietly.

 

Luhan shivers and his skin crawls with goosebumps as he feels Sehun’s breath across his ear. His words are so quiet that he can barely make them out.

 

“Don’t despair, Luhan. I’m happy that you were finally able to be happy. When you return home, it’ll all be different. You’ll see. I’ll always be there by your side, even if you don’t see me. Believe it. Believe it, hyung.”

 

Luhan looks at him with wide eyes, trying to decipher his words and hold back a sudden threat of tears.

 

Before he can say anything back, his vision starts to spin black again, and he blurts out one last desperate ‘thank you!’.

 

The last thing he sees is Sehun smiling and holding a finger to his lips.

 

“Shhhh...”

 

Sehun places a chaste kiss on Luhan’s nose and breathes a final farewell into his hair just as the world flashes black.

 

-

 

Don’t be scared to open your eyes, Luhan. I told you it would all be different, didn’t I? You know what I mean, even if you don’t believe it yourself. Don’t fear, hyung. It will be alright.

 

-

 

What does Sehun mean? Could it be -

 

No. Not possible. But -

 

He doesn’t

 

Nobody could

 

How can

 

How

 

What if it was all a lie? A dream? A falsehood?

 

No. Too cruel.

 

He’s made his decision. He won’t do it. He’s not going to-

 

 

Believe it. Believe it, hyung.

 

 

Luhan opens his eyes.

 

 

 

 

The sky is blue.

 

-