Princes and Peasants

Writings

Princes and Peasants

 

 

-

 

“Kyungsoo, see what you’ve done now, you good for nothing brat! How could you fall asleep while watching Jongin? Do you know how much danger he could have been in?!”

 

This Jongin’s mother screams at Kyungsoo, although the child is only six years old, as is his young charge, Jongin.

 

Kyungsoo should be grateful, he knows, for the space near the fireplace he is provided with and a roof over his head, along with occasional scraps. There aren’t much things worse than wintertime on the dirty streets, where so many frozen homeless are found dead each year. But he can’t help but let a small scowl appear, although he tries his best to hide it in fear of the consequences. Kyungsoo may be young, but he is no idiot.

 

The mother’s voice continues dimly on in the background, listing all of Kyungsoo’s wrongs and what he should and shouldn’t be doing, that ungrateful bastard. Kyungsoo does his best to shut it out and stands at attention, promising to do better as she turns away with a huff and a glare.

 

Jongin runs over as soon as his mother’s back is turned and hugs Kyungsoo, patting his arm consolingly.

 

“Don’t worry,” he whispers in Kyungsoo’s ear. “Mother won’t be angry for too long. It’s not your fault!”

 

Just then the said woman spins back around and shrieks.

 

“Jongin! Jongin, you get away from that street scum this very instant! Do you want him rubbing off on you? We are the Kim family, understand? The royal family.  You are to be the next King! We do not mix with the homeless, the peasants. He is here to protect you and nothing else. You would do well to remember that, Jongin.”

 

Speech over, she turns around yet again and beckons imperiously with her index finger at the pair without looking back. As she stalks away in her high heels, Kyungsoo swears silently that he will never make a mistake again. From today on, his job is to protect Jongin and nothing else. Nothing else.

 

-

 

It is fifteen years later, and the young men have not changed much from the children they once were. On one hand, Jongin is a mess of energy, bright and talkative and, Kyungsoo thinks, a little bit too loud. He now insists on being called Kai (which Kyungsoo thinks is ridiculous, Jongin is a perfectly good name), and even attempts to call Kyungsoo D.O., much to the latter’s extreme embarrassment, who has thankfully talked him out of it. Kyungsoo, on the other hand, has become a stoic, balanced bodyguard, very much his master’s shadow. True to his word, he has not failed again in his task to watch over the young Kim heir, and doesn’t plan to. Still, that isn’t to say everything is perfect between master and bodyguard.

 

Jongin’s (or Kai’s, if you will) constant frustration stems from Kyungsoo’s outward coldness and distance. Despite his many attempts to engage his shadow in conversation, short, concise yes’s and no’s will inadvertently result, so one day the young heir decides to take some unique measures.

 

His plan begins with the basis of annoying the out of Kyungsoo, which is a skill he retains and practices quite frequently.

 

“Kyungsoo.”

 

“Young master, is there anything you need?”

 

“Kyungsooo~”

 

“Excuse me?”

 

“KYUNGSOO!”

 

“Young master, please -”

 

Kai grins. Annoy Kyungsoo - done. He then proceeds to talk back.

 

“Don’t you young master me! We’re the same age, Soo! Remember when we used to be best friends? We talked all the time! Well, that’s still possible, isn’t it?”

 

Kyungsoo backs away slightly, looking panicked.

 

Kai only laughs and hugs Kyungsoo, just as he did when they were children. Kyungsoo tries to pull away, but Kai kisses him full on the lips instead, after which results a brief struggle and finally acceptance as he kisses back slowly. He doesn’t miss Kai’s smirk.

 

“See? I told you so. Promise you’ll be my friend, Kyungsoo. My old best friend. My new best friend. I’ve been so lonely these past few years.”

 

Kyungsoo thinks that’s a promise he can make.

 

 

-

 

 


Oh man I have no idea what this word vomit is I'm sorry ;;