Lotus Blossoming

Writings

Lotus Blossoming

 

-

 

The car window is tinted almost black from the outside, but Kris can see everything perfectly from his seat inside the smooth interior of the vehicle. He runs his fingers along the leather as he looks outside at his destination: the White Dragon luxury hotel, where only the richest business tycoons can be found, mixing with the highest of the high and dealing in both legal and underhand matters. Despite his reputation in the shadier sides of business, Kris has made sure to stay clear from the hotel, where wins may turn too quickly into devastating losses. Still, he feels only the slightest pinch of apprehension as he gazes at the golden tower.

 

Kris is always well prepared.

 

He’s here tonight to meet the elusive Mr. Lu, a mysterious figure in the business that is much talked about, but almost never seen. Mr. Lu has promised Kris information aiding his thus-far futile search for the Red Lotus, the head of the notorious hit-and-run gang named Crimson Blossom that has been targeting Kris’ business. Despite Kris’ best efforts, he has been unable to make progress... the Red Lotus’ followers are fiercely loyal, and no amount of torture has withdrawn even the slightest bit of the information Kris needs to take down the Red Lotus.

 

With a flick of his finger, Kris motions to his chauffeur, who steps out of the car first and then opens the door. Kris brushes past the man, eyes still on the hotel, where a swarm of reporters is gathered.

 

He is accompanied by several men in black suits - his bodyguards - who follow him closely.

 

When the first reporter catches sight of him, an excited hum starts up, followed by a flurry of movement as the mob runs over to him. Kris keeps on walking, unfazed by the stream of questions being shouted out him, and is soon making his way up the carpeted steps to the White Dragon hotel.

 

“Welcome, welcome, Mr. Wu. We hope your stay will be satisfactory.”

 

The doormen pull open the glass doors with white-gloved hands, and Kris, ignoring the greeting, walks in confidently. As he steps into the ridiculously opulent lobby, a young, attractive woman dressed in a cheongsam makes her way over and falls into step with him. Her eyes are rimmed with a dark kohl liner and her voice is deep and sultry.

 

“Mr. Lu is waiting for you in the Crystal Pagoda restaurant. Take the elevator. Top floor.” Kris nods, and she disappears, melting away into the crowd effortlessly.

 

As he moves towards the elevators, a blur of faces leer out at him from amidst the crowd of people. He hears their whispers.

 

...is that Kris Wu? Here, in the White Dragon hotel?

 

I thought he once said on public TV that he would never step foot in here...

 

...must be up to something...

 

Kris disregards them all and steps into the glass elevator when it dings and slides open quietly. His bodyguards file in after him, and even with all of them in the same space, the elevator is quite spacious, and they fit with no problem.

 

He presses the button for the top floor and watches as the numbers start to rise. Through the clear sides of the elevator, the city nightscape is visible with an incredible view. It really is stunning, and though Kris might admire it normally, these are different circumstances and he only wants the information awaiting him so he can quickly get out of this dangerous place. So he just watches with distant eyes as the ground gets smaller and smaller...

 

Another soft ding alerts him that the elevator has arrived, and a smooth, automated woman’s voice filters through the speakers:

 

“Welcome to the Crystal Pagoda restaurant, where we offer only the best that we have to meet your satisfaction. Please enjoy your stay.”

 

The doors open, and then Kris steps out into a truly incredible place.

 

The Crystal Pagoda restaurant is everything its name suggests, and even more. Built on the top of the hotel itself, the first half of the restaurant features an eating area complete with a bar and a diamond chandelier that is the centerpiece of the whole thing. A huge, glass ceiling overarches the area so that guests are protected from the weather, but can at the same time enjoy the view.

 

This is the very area that Kris needs to move through quickly. He senses illicit deals being made under cover of gourmet foods and vintage glasses of wine; false laughter and forced smiles. His potential informant was the one who picked the place, and Kris can still remember that the torn piece of paper had specifically referred to other side of the restaurant.

 

This other side is an outdoor area that can be accessed through a door in the side of the glass pagoda. It’s famous, and not just because of the view: this outdoor area is built on glass, and only glass. It’s essentially a glass floor capped by balconies that extends out from the building. Thus, to reach the balcony, one must walk across what appears to be a thin layer of clear glass. It’s definitely not a place for the weak-hearted.

 

Kris, thankfully, has only a minor preoccupation with heights. After making his way through the indoor half (accompanied, as always, by the incessant whispers and furtive stares), Kris pulls open the connecting door and strides confidently across the glass floor. He can see the back of a dark figure, presumably Mr. Lu, leaning over the balcony and waiting for him.

 

Kris clears his throat once he’s a respectable distance away.

 

“Mr. Lu? Information first or payment first?”

 

The man shifts a bit, but does not respond. Kris stands there awkwardly, wondering what to do.

 

“Or, perhaps, you are not Mr. Lu? In that case, my apologies...” Kris takes a step closer. “Have you by chance seen another man around here? Anyone?” There’s still no response, and just as he’s about to tap the man on the shoulder, he finally gets a response.

 

“Don’t you dare take another step closer to me, Wu Yi Fan.”

 

-

 

Kris freezes.

 

No.

 

It can’t be. Impossible.

 

That- that’s Luhan’s voice.

 

Luhan!?

 

He’s so shocked that he feels as if everything has come to a standstill; the cars in their tracks, the people in their daily lives, the stars in their orbits. And as the man finally turns around to face him, Kris can see that despite a few more lines here and there, and the utter weariness in Luhan’s eyes, it’s really Luhan.

 

Luhan, his little brother.

 

-

 

He’s not sure how long he stands there, mouth open like an idiot.

 

“I- I don’t understand...”

 

Luhan scoffs, and his face twists into an expression Kris shrinks back at.

 

“Just shut up, Yi Fan. It’s been a long time, hasn’t it? But nothing’s changed. Well, besides the fact that you’ve gotten yourself a fancy new name to look good on TV. But even all those years ago, you were never able to get the best of me. So if you know what’s good for you, you better listen up.”

 

Hurt, Kris finally finds his voice. “Don’t tell me to shut up, Luhan! You just left and disappeared for who knows how many years? 10? 15? What are you even doing here?”

 

Luhan sneers at him. “Don’t pretend it wasn’t your fault I left. I’ve been much happier since I left, trust me. No older brothers bossing me around, making me do things I don't want to... it’s great, actually."

 

Kris doesn’t even know what to say. He just stands there, hating himself for being beaten so easily.

 

“Done?” Luhan asks with a smirk. “Alright. You better listen up, then. You wanted information on the Red Lotus? Well, I have it. Next Tuesday, 8 PM, at your warehouse in the Golden Qilin shopping area. That’s the Crimson Blossoms’ next target. I can’t guarantee the Red Lotus will be there in person... but you know...”

 

He smiles mockingly at Kris and finishes, “...I’m usually always right.”

 

Kris is speechless, and surprisingly touched that Luhan would even bother giving him information.

 

“I trust you. I’m not sure why, but I do. Thank you for the information... I’ll be sure to follow up on it.” He wants to say more, but can’t quite figure out how to put it into words.

 

Luhan acknowledges his gratitude with a slight tilt of his head and turns away.

 

“Well, if we’re all done here, then, I’ll be leaving.”

 

Kris watches him walk back over to the balcony, and just as Luhan’s about to raise his arms, no doubt as a signal of some sort, Kris finds his voice.

 

Wait! Don’t go yet! Luhan!”

 

Luhan turns around slowly, and Kris feels as if he’s been shot multiple times in his chest, because he sees in Luhan’s eyes the shiny b of tears.

 

What, Kris?” Luhan’s voice shakes a little, but he manages to force the words out harshly.

 

“I just- I’m really sorry for everything, and... why? Why did you tell me? You could’ve kept me in the dark, let my business fail, but you didn’t. And how? How do you know all these things?”

 

Luhan strides back over to Kris, and without hesitation, punches him in the chest. Kris reels back, but stays silent. He pretty much deserved that, he guesses.

 

“Why did I tell you? I don’t even know myself. Maybe it’s because-” and he punches Kris again, though there’s no real conviction behind it. “-maybe it’s because even though you don’t know how badly I’ve wanted to do that over the years, you’re still my brother. And when I heard you were the Red Lotus’ next target, I couldn’t just let you be destroyed. Your business means everything to you. More than yourself. More than me." He's openly sobbing, making no attempt to hide it.

 

Kris stares at him, and tentatively reaches out a hand to touch Luhan’s shoulder. But as soon as his hand touches Luhan, Luhan flinches and backs away. In the flash of movement, Luhan’s sleeve lifts up for just a split second, but what Kris sees is enough to make him still in shock. Luhan’s realized that Kris has seen, too, because he backs away even more rapidly with a guarded expression on his face.

 

“Luhan.” Kris’ voice is flat, expressionless, and utterly intimidating.

 

“Why,” - and his voice is quivering with anger now - “is there a Crimson Blossom tattoo on your wrist?”

 

Luhan glares at Kris fiercely, refusing to answer.

 

“Luhan! Tell me right now. Is this what you did after you ran away from home? Joined the most notorious gang in the city!?”

 

“Shut up, Yi Fan. You don’t know anything about me.”

 

“Is this where you got that information?”

 

“Shut up.”

 

“Life is not a game! How many times do I have to tell you? Even when you were little, you never understood-”

 

Just shut up! Why do you even care, anyways?

 

A moment of charged silence, and then:

 

“I care because you’re my little brother, Luhan. And you always will be.”

 

Luhan seems to deflate, and he sighs.

 

“Goodbye, Kris. I need to go.”

 

And Kris realizes that no matter how much he yells at Luhan, Luhan will not change his mind. His little brother is grown up now, and maybe it’s time for Kris to let him control his own life.

 

“Okay. I understand. Just one more thing, I promise, and then you can go: will you be safe, after telling me this information? It’s pretty suspicious, isn’t it?”

 

Luhan laughs bitterly. “There’s no such thing as ‘safe’ in this world, Kris. But if it makes you feel better, I’m as safe as I can get. Who do you think is the Red Lotus’ cherished protégé, his second son, even? I practically grew up with the gang. The were my second family.”

 

Kris finally feels the guilt of his years coming back to him, and he looks at the ground, painfully aware of how much he’s wronged Luhan.

 

Luhan puts his feet on the balcony and stands on top of the thin glass railing, hair blowing in the wind and eyes closed.

 

“So don’t forget that, Yi Fan. Because in the future, no matter who you are to me, we may very well be enemies.”

 

And because he’s the Luhan that Kris has always known, he adds on one last farewell, the way only he can.

 

“Who knows?”

 

And then he jumps.

 

“Luhan!”

 

Kris’ shout echoes out too late across the balcony, unheard by anyone but himself and the empty sky. He runs over to the balcony and looks over, scanning the skyline frantically, but there’s nobody to be seen.

 

Somehow, though, he knows Luhan isn’t dead. He senses, too, that Luhan still hasn’t told him everything about himself yet; his brother is far too resourceful, far too clever, to give things away that easily.

 

But Kris can count on at least one thing in his life that’s going to happen:

 

Someday, somewhere... they will meet again.

 

-