Chapter 1

Differences Between Us
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
 

Chapter One

"Good Morning Melbourne!

Hello and welcome to your favorite radio station, Weekly Radio! And you're with me, Krystal, gorgeous as a Crystal and lucky as the lottery number. For those of you who haven't crawled out of your blankets yet... *KRIIING* that was your morning alarm. It's just ten to nine. And it’s a warm summer morning in Melbourne city. At nine sharp, tune in to my program, Chit-Chat, where I'll introduce you to a Korean living in Melbourne, so that you too are inspired to succeed. Today, we'll be talking to the head chef of the EXOtic Restaurant, Lay. That'll be in 10 minutes. So stay tuned. Till then, here's a song to keep your morning tea company," Chirped the petite girl from the radio station. Her hazel eyes and cheery voice complimented her ice-princess look. She is the beautiful, one and only Krystal Jung

But as ten minutes pass by, there was still no sign of the famous "Lay" in the radio station. Finally running out of patience, Krystal gave a threatening look at her boss, Hyung Don, and called him as soon as possible. The funny boss quickly grabbed his phone to call the "Lay".

On the other hand, the guy that Krystal spoke about was still sleeping in his apartment, just only waking up at the sound of his phone ringing.

"Where's the fire, guys?" Asked the guy in a sleepy voice while stretching his body. The boy in bed was no other than Zhang Yixing.

"Zhang Yixing has had only one problem ever since he was a baby... He can't sleep during the night, and he also can't wake up in the mornings. However, Yixing wasn't known for his sleeping habits but for something more spectacular and breath taking. Ever since Yixing was a child, he had been strangely fascinated with cooking. While other boys his age played basketball together, Yixing was the only one playing kitchen by himself. Growing up, his dad expressed his desire for Yixing to become an architect and later join his construction business. Following his father's wish, Yixing flew to Melbourne to become an architect. But how could a guy who couldn't even draw a straight line back in Korea, design a Namsan Tower in Melbourne? As time flew by, Yixing's interest in cooking remained with him and continued to grow and Yixing's pastries became very popular. Somehow, Yixing managed to become an architect and even landed a commission to design a restaurant. The owner never liked the outcome: but he loved Yixing's food. Soon, Zhang Yixing became the head chef of the EXOtic restaurant, Lay."

After he was finally awake, Yixing picked up the phone and was greeted by the sudden yelling from the other side of the line. Yixing just answered slowly while taking the milk from his refrigerator.

"Wait, slow down. Stop screaming for a second. Who is this? Why are you screaming at me?" When the caller, who introduced himself as Hyung Don, told Yixing about the interview that he was missing, the brunette boy felt like face palming.

"CRAP! I'm just... I'm almost there. I'm right outside your studio. I'm looking for a place to park. Dude please, give your throat a break. I'm on my way, I'm already here. Just walking to the door… I'm coming right in… There, I can see you." Lay lied as he ran around the house getting ready to leave. When Hyung Don hung up the phone, all Lay could ask was, "Did the alarm ring?"

Back at the radio..

After hanging up the phone, Hyung Don glanced at his watch and screamed....

"When Hyung Don's holler reverberated through Kerala's greenery, coconuts would fall off the trees, boats would capsize in rivers and birds would be forced to migrate. Migrating to Melbourne, Hyung Don transformed into Doni. He was the 'mallu' with a passion who, even though he couldn't sing, could still make you sing a song. Now he was the owner of the Weekly Radio station, always humming at work, in hopes that one day, someone would ask, 'Why don't you ever sing on air?' Though this was something that won't be happening for another 40 years."

Doni picked up the phone outside the studio to talk to Krystal who was inside, "Kryztal! Kryztal"

"Krystal!" The pretty girl yelled back.

"Kryztal!" Doni repeated.

Krystal looked at him with a sigh, "S! S for Krystal!"

"Sure, whatever. Anyway, Kryztal. You're wasting your time. Lay is late!" Said Doni.

"What do you mean, late?" Asked Krystal, for once ignoring the mispronunciation.

"I think he just woke up."

As Krystal heard about the late chef, her expression became darker and darker, frustration clearly marking her pretty face.

"After Krystal rejected twelve men in Seoul, her parents suspected that maybe she didn't want to get married afterall. She denied it, but it was the truth. Maybe her desire to get married disappeared because the only example she ever had was her older sister, Jessica. Jessica was always busy with her family and children and didn't even have time for herself. She was afraid of ending up like her sister. When she came to Australia for a year for an university exchange program, Krystal fell in love with Melbourne. She decided to stay and join a medical school. However, because her parents cut off all ties with her, Krystal had to start everything from scratch. To pay for her education, she joined Weekly Radio Station and soon became the most popular Radio Announcer there."

Not having the patience to wait any longer, Krystal opened her radio again. "Weekly Radio! And now it's finally time to talk to our celebrity guest, Lay. But there's one slight problem. And that is... apparently, Lay isn't interested in talking to you all. Even though you're his costumers, what a shame. So what if you happen to be the same customers who shell out, Lay doesn't care. Which is wh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter