i

15 Boys, 24 Hours


“... and as for a fun 2014 New Years gift for you all, our president, Park Geunhye has allowed all of you to kill whoever you want in the next twenty four hours. Thank you for watching and have a nice-”

 

The television turned off.

 

The boys stared blankly at the television as the clock struck twelve. The fifteen boys stayed up all night, waiting for new year to arrive. They had occupied themselves and succeeded thanks to the electronics that they owned and each other. Wonwoo had wanted to turn on the news and watch the countdown to New Years on television; the last thing he saw and heard after the news being announced was a silent crowd at Myeongdong

 

“We're not going to kill each other, right guys?” Jihoon asked, feeling a bit nervous. He prayed, hoping that they wouldn't kill each other within the twenty-four hours. The fifteen boys have spent practically a year together now, dealing with stress, emotions, problems, and such together. It felt as if yesterday they stepped into the dorm, seeing each other for the first time. Stories and secrets were shared among one another throughout the year; you can say they're like brothers.

 

In the next twenty-four hours, Jihoon knew that this was going to be a survival game. Glancing down at his watch, the bright blue color glowed, showing that it was one minute past midnight. Oh great, 1399 more minutes to go.

 

No one said anything. They were too busy thinking of who knows what, and with that being said, Jihoon cleared his throat, raising his voice a bit, “We're not going to kill each other, right?”

 

Everyone nodded as if they were possessed. Jihoon gulped nervously, wanting to hide all the sharp objects in the dorm. He was going to start with the kitchen where Junhui's master knives were kept at. Tip toeing slowly to the kitchen, he didn't dare to turn on the lights. Jihoon was afraid that he may have been discovered so he kept quiet. He could see those master knives inside their case.

 

Except for one.

 

That one, huge master knife that Junhui used to cut the thick meat whenever he was cooking was on the kitchen counter. It seemed to gleam in the darkness as Jihoon approached it with caution. Reaching out his arm, hesitating whether he should take it or not, he heard footsteps. Jihoon quickly grab the knife and ducked down, hiding beside the counter. He was surely exposed and had a feeling that he was going to be the first one to die.

 

“I swear I put the knife right here,” someone muttered in Chinese. Jihoon's eyes widened, realizing that it was Junhui. Holding his breath, Jihoon clutched onto the knife and waited. He had the blade pointing up in the air, and was crouched down onto the floor. If he saw a foot in sight, he was planning to stab it. The footsteps came closer and closer, Jihoon's heart was being faster and faster. His sweaty palms prevented him from having a tight grip onto the knife.

 

“Jihoon?” Jihoon looked up, darting his eyes in the darkness. Although his eyes were adjusted, his brain wasn't functioning for him to see clearly. He could make out two legs that were a few meters away from him.

 

Oh .

 

“Jihoon, why do you have my knife?” Junhui asked, taking a step closer. Jihoon panicked and kicked Junhui's legs. He slipped and fell down on his , crashing onto the floor.

 

“Jihoon!” Junhui shouted-whispered. Junhui attempted to stand up again and approached the tiny boy that was in the corner. Slowly, Junhui reached over from his knife case and grabbed a single bevel knife. Jihoon felt as if his heart was going to burst any moment now. His eyes were wide and filled with fear, knowing that he wasn't going to survive for the first hour. Jihoon glanced at his watch. Only eight minutes have passed.

 

“Jihoon, just give me the knife and you won't get hurt, I promise,” Junhui reassured him. Jihoon didn't listen.

 

“Guys, what's that noise in the kitchen?” Seokmin asked, darting his eyes into the dark room. The members stayed still, hearing two voices talking.

 

“I don't even know what they're saying but-”

 

A spine tingling shriek came from the kitchen as everyone looked alarmed. None of the boys dared to check out what happened because they knew that a murderer was in there.

 

And the murderer was one of the members.

 

After several seconds, the boys heard someone... crying?

 

“Oh my god!” someone screamed. Seungcheol recognized it was Doyoon's voice and jumped off the couch, running toward the kitchen, bumping into Doyoon. The two adults had a horrible look glued onto their face as they saw the unconscious person on the floor. He had fallen onto his knees and was hunched over, his head resting near Jihoon's foot. Jihoon silently cried, stuffing his face into his knees.

 

Seungcheol examined the bloody rubber gloves that were carelessly tossed onto the floor besides Junhui. He glanced over at Jihoon who's face was now stained with tears and the blood seemed to have drained out of his face. Jihoon's hands were shaky, releasing one of the master knife onto the floor. He rubbed his sweaty hands onto his jeans as Seungcheol pointed at him.

 

“Y-you killed him?” Seungcheol couldn't believe it. How can such a little boy have the guts to take a stab into someone's chest? Stereotypically speaking, of course.

 

“No! I didn't!” Jihoon hiccuped between each word.

 

“You had the knife in your hand!”

 

“I was planning to hide the knives! I saw Junhui hyung and I thought he was going to kill me.. but someone killed him.. I don't know who,” he whispered, ready to collapse.

 

Seungcheol quickly grabbed tongs and a plastic bag to put in the blood gloves in.

 

“What are you doing?” Doyoon questioned, peering over his shoulders. Doyoon too was shaking from what had just happened.

 

“I'm going to ask the police to find this person's fingerprints,” Seungcheol muttered, “If that is even possible.”

 

Doyoon turned around, spotting the members peer at the doorway. Some of them must have went into their room because it was too bloody to experience at this age.

 

Seeing Jihoon cry was the worst thing anyone can experience. His sleeve was damped from the tears and his eyes were puffy. His face was like a little child crying when their parent had just scolded them for their wrong doings; his tears could break Obama's heart, and everyone suddenly sympathized Jihoon. Jihoon's lip was quivering and his blonde locks were covering his eyes as he cried in front of the members for the first time. Dongjin and Seokmin quickly rushed over, hopping over the corpse, comforting him.

 

“Oh god Jihoon, don't cry. Even though you're older than me yet you seem like a younger brother to me,” Seokmin consoled.

 

“I swear I didn't do it though,” Jihoon attempted to say. Dongjin patted his shoulder glancing over at the cadaver. “We know.”

 

“So.. what do we do with the corpse?”

 

“We... we'll burn it.”