The Pond

Class 101

Chapter Four: The Pond 

"Just wait for the fireworks"

 

“Well, what do you want?” Haru asked, crossed legged with arms crossed. Sitting across from Dongwoo in one of the class desks.

“Did Sunggyu or Hoya or anyone tell you about… who you really are?” he asked, caution filled with his question.

Haru looked at him bewildered. “Who I really am? Other than my parents being exorcist and the ones that raised me not being my parents, then no. Why? Am I an alien or something?” she scoffed.

Dongwoo looked at him, worry in his eyes. Seeing how he was filled with fun and jokes, looking like he’d never be the serious type – Haru felt a bit scared for what he’d say,” No, you’re not… You’re actually-“

Before Dongwoo could finish, the ceiling above caved in ontop of them with a loud crash – Dongwoo quickly jumping over the desk to center her from the pavement falling ontop of them. The ceiling smoke cleared up that was mixed in with a slight pink puff, along with a mischievous laugh followed by a familiar looking man.

“Damn him,” Dongwoo clicked his tongue, climbing off of the fallen Haru with the wood and ceiling wall falling off his back. Haru took Dongwoo’s a wading had to help her up, lightly dusting herself off – she sighed deeply while face palming at the man.

“Was that really necessary?” she asked.

He only howled in laugher. “Oh, of course it is!! A big star like me always makes a huge entrance!” Sunggyu laughed standing on Dongwoo’s podium, a fan in his hand which he laughed mischievously into.

“You almost killed us.” Dongwoo groaned, popping his back at the sudden action to cover Haru from harm.

“We all know it takes a lot to kill you, Dongwooie.” Giggled Sunggyu.

“What do you want? Surely, you didn’t destroy my class room to make an entrance.”

Sunggyu sighed,” Sadly, no. I was actually here to stop your little conversation with Ms. Jung.” He hopped off the desk, making his way to the other two.

“Here, sweetie.” Sunggyu hands Haru a piece of paper.

She takes it and reads the paper thoroughly,” A map?”

“Instructions on how to get to your dorms. You’re other dorm mates should be there, so you can ask them for help. I also had someone move your things. Please ignore what Mr. Jang was about to tell you and go rest in the dorms for tomorrows lessons – because you’re going to need it.”

“What’s so important about me that I have to leave?” she protested.

“Just something your pretty little head shouldn’t worry about.” Sunggyu eye smiled.

With an unsure nod, she leaves towards the door. “Oh, and Haru.” She looks back at Sunggyu, hand on the door knob, another on her sword strap,” Don’t show or tell anyone about that sword of yours. It’s best to keep it a secret.” He grinned, wickedly. Haru nodded slightly again before slipping out the door.

“Well, she’s gone. What?” Dongwoo asked, hands on his hip.

“You see, Dongwoo, now is not the time to tell Haru about… that.” he said, fanning is face lightly.

“Why is that?” Dongwoo asked.

“Now is not the right time. The poor girl just learned about demons and her birth parents the other day, adding this on might cause her to… lose it. Time will come when she learns the truth, now isn’t that time unfortunately.”

Dongwoo sighed again, running a hand through his dark blue hair,” And what if in the future something happens because of it? When she wasn’t aware of it? What then do you plan to do?”

“Ho ho ho~” Sunggyu lightly fanned himself again. “Don’t worry about that, Mr. Jang. I’ll be the one who takes care of that. For now, all you need to worry about it taking care of these youngers so they’d grow into strong exorcist. Have faith for the school’s director, sheesh~” With his signature puff of pink, Sunggyu was gone in a blink of an eye.

Dongwoo rubbed the back of his neck and let out a low groan, seeing his latter leave. “Who the hell is going to clean this?” he muttered, looking at the messy room.

----

“Okay… take a left…” Haru muttered to herself, paper in hand. She honestly did wonder what the two elders where talking about, and why they asked her to leave. It was about her and she knew she had every reason to be there to hear it out, but the little voice in the back of her head remained her otherwise.

‘You’re here to learn. Not care about teacher drama.’

Fighting back her usually nosy urges, she left without the usual protest she’d put up and left without a word. Finding her way out of the other school either wasn’t all that hard, she just followed her steps outwards – eventually leading out to the door she came in.

She crossed a bridge over a stream, eyes still on her paper,” over the bridge and keep to the right past the large tree…” Haru wondered why the walk was so long. She passed several buildings minutes ago that looked like the dorms, but they were labeled,” C Dorm or B Dorm.” The instructions on her paper said she was looking for the,” Moon Dorm.” Which she found odd in contrast compared to the others.

“Through the small park…” she walked through a small flower bed, with brightly colored flowers and a warm feeling invited her as she walked through.

‘Maybe I’ll come out here to read a book or something.’ Haru thought to herself, as she noticed a small wooden elegant white bench, beneath the large oak tree she had passed. The thought of the dorm started to dwell on her, she was absolutely walking in thick wood now. Seeing a little of the school behind her. Haru continued on, deciding to walk another five minutes before heading back to campus and asking someone who knew directions. Someone who wasn’t a sketchy character like Sunggyu.

To her surprise, there was actually something out in the middle of nowhere. A three story building, with old shutters, rusted windows, rotting wood, crooked steps, everything just look simply old and run down. It was in major contrast to the beautiful European styled dorm and campus. She double checked the paper again, back and forth with her location to the poorly dram map, but it did say she was in the correct place.

There was even a little sign hanging above the entry door,” Moon Dorms.” Haru let out a sigh, thinking there had to be a mistake. No way in hell was she supposed to stay in a dump like that.

The entry door cracked open, causing Haru to jump a little at the sudden surprise. “Oh, hey.” Smiled Suho, stepping out of the dorms with a trash bag in hand, dressed in blue bunny slippers and comfort clothes aside from his uniform.

Haru gave a sly smiled back. Suho quickly walked around to the side of the house to throw away the trash, then made his way back to Haru. He whipped his hands on his basketball shorts before extending a hand to her,” I saw you in class, you remember me?”

Haru took his hand and lightly shook it,” Suho, right?” the other smiled, dropping their hands. “I was wondering if you can help me find my dorm? Sunggyu drew me a map, but I don’t think I’m in the right place…” she hands him the paper.

Suho gladly takes it, scanning the paper and finishing with an,” ah ha!” he hands it back to her, shaking his head. “Nope, you’re in the right place.”

She looked at him bewildered, letting out a scoff,” You have to be kidding me…”

“Nope!” he smiled brightly. “This is the Moon Dorms alright. You see… Ms….”

“I’m Haru, Haru Jung.”

“You see, Haru, since we’re all meisters in training. The head master thought it was best for us to be living together as well. Since we’re dangerous to non-exorcist, it was better thought out this way – plus, it’s a way for us to get along better in the future.” He explained.

“But from the looks in class, I’m the only girl, is that okay?” she asked.

Suho nodded,” Yeah, it’s not like we’ll do anything. Each room comes with a lock too, so you’re fine to lock it if you don’t feel safe. There’s also two bathrooms on each floor, so you’re covered there too.”

Haru sighed a breath, not believing she had to stay in a place like this, especially with only men around. “Why is it so run down?”

“It’s been here for a while,” Suho shrugged. “The headmaster thought it was best not to upgrade it to build suspension on why a nice place was all the way out here, but the inside is a lot nicer.” Suho noticed the girl’s grim face. He could understand on why she felt that way, placing another smile onto his face, he patted her head.

Haru only slapped his hand away quickly,” Oh, I’m sorry... I was just trying to comfort you, you look a bit grim.” Suho rubbed the back of his neck as he apologized.

Haru noticed her sudden action and waved a hand at him,” No, it’s my fault. I’m trying not to get close to anyone, so please understand… C-Can I just go settle in my room?”

Suho nodded, leading her into the doors,” Well, since you’re new here and all, I’ll explain to you where everything is.” Haru nodded as he opened the door.

There was a stair case in the middle of the room, and it did look much nicer than the exterior. The floor was dark maple, while the walls where light green, and high ceilings. To the left, it looked like a living room and hangout area with a large half circle grey couch in front of a large wall-hanging flat screen with a fireplace underneath and a coffee table in the middle of the couch. A pool table to the right wall of the couch and a hallway leading somewhere.

To the right of the stairs, there was a kitchen with modern appliances like a fridge, microwave, oven, and dish washer. Dark granite counters, black and white cabinets, a wraparound bar to fit several, and a small flower like chandelier above. A long metal dining room table to fit 15 along with its own chandler.

Haru looked at everything in awe,” Not what I was expecting…”

“It’s nice, right?” she only nodded. “It’s a compromise to the outside, but it’s worth it. Over there’s the living room where we just watch movies sometime together.” He explained pointing to the side of the room,” Kris bought the pool table, but anyone can use it. Down the hall is the extra bathroom.” He shifted to the other side of the room,” And the kitchen and dining room. I sometimes cook in the morning, but not often. We barely use the dining table too, it’s just for looks.”

Haru ran a finger along the cool metal of the table,” I’m surprised you boys kept this place so clean.”

“Not really,” Suho chuckled. “Sunggyu sends someone here and there to come and clean.”

“You guys are really pampered then.” Haru chuckled. 

“We’re the next line of exorcist, what to expect then a line of pampering.” He shrugged.

Haru looked at him in question,” I thought there were more classes?”

Suho shook his head,” As time started to progress, the amount of demons somewhat decreased. So did the exorcist, since with the new era of the world and what not, no one really believes in them like they did back then. We’re the only class of exorcist in that school, only the 10 of us.”

“I see…” Mother Suni wasn’t kidding when she said exorcist was hard to come by.

“Are you ready to go up?” asked Suho, thumbs pointed towards the front of the stair case, back leaned against the railing. Haru nodded following him up the short steps. The upstairs was just the same design and elegance as the downstairs. “So, each floor has two bathrooms at the end of each hall. All the doors are labeled for who owns it, so you don’t end up going into someone else’s room.”

Suho pointed to the four rooms on the left, starting from the farthest room from them,” Over there is bathroom, Xiumin, Me, and Kai.” He turned to the right side,” And Luhan, Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and bath.”

“Who’s Xiumin and Chanyeol?” she asked, not remembering the two characters in class.

“Oh, those two. They’re new kids who turned up late and is starting new tomorrow. So is another kid named D.O., he’s upstairs with you. There things are already moved in, but I’m told they’ll be here tomorrow.”

Haru gasped in awe, then moved up the second flight of stairs before Suho. Suho noticing her leave and walking up with her,” Oh.” He called out. “You’re a Knight, huh?” Haru froze in her steps, Suho stopping abruptly behind her,” What?”

Haru shook it off and moved up,” Nothing. Yeah, I am.”

“Can I see your sword?” he asked from behind. Haru’s grip on the strap tighten as Sunggyu’s words ringed through her head. ‘Don’t show or tell anyone about you’re sword there. It’s for the best.’

“It’s just a normal katana. There’s nothing too it.” She softly whispered, Suho barely catching it.

“That’s neat. I have a long sword, it’s been passed down from my family line.” Haru nodded in acknowledgement, stopping at the last flight of stairs. Suho walked out a bit in front of her to show her the ropes.

“To the left is the bath, Tao, you, D.O., and Kris. Then to the right is Chen, Sehun, Lay, and the bathroom… Questions?” he asked.

Haru shook her head,” None really.”

“Okay then, if you need me I’ll be in my room.” With a wave and smile, Suho continued down stairs. Haru made her way to her designated room, noticing her name neatly printed on her door. With a deep breathe, she opened it.

Dark floors like the rest of the dorm, but the walls were a smooth baby blue. Her queen sized bed was with crisp white sheets and a black frame, a neat black desk with chair and lamp in the corner, a small closet, a fairy large wardrobe, and a note on her desk. Haru made her way to it, dropping her sword on the bed.

She spins in the chair as she reads it,” Hello, Haru-sshi~ How do you like everything? Nice, huh? You can change your room however you’d like. You’re also allowed to get pets if you want. We just want you all to be comfortable like you’re living at home with your family. I know it might be hard to be living with everyone, but boys – I knew these kids for a very long time, you can trust them. I’ve noticed you building up walls too, don’t. You need to be open with these boys as if they were you’re brothers – family, taking care of each other. Your sword is something you need to keep a secret too, keep it with you at all times. See you in class tomorrow, Hoya.”

Haru sighed before throwing the note away in the trash. Spinning in her chair again, she jumped off and into her bed – katana lying right next to her. She looked at the thing, swearing at it mentally for ruining her normal life.

‘What the hell is wrong with you, Haru? Why the hell are you being so dumb and quiet? You’re not like this, you’re the cheerful and outgoing soccer jockey. What the hell did that demon do to you? What did any of this do to you?’

Haru rested a arm over her eyes, shielding herself from the bright light that leaked through her window. And softly once again, she cried herself into a deep sleep.

 

-----

“And so you, STUMPS.” Barked Dongwoo, as he and three others were gathered in the front of the room. “I expect you to treat these guys like family. They showed up late due to their reasons, and I expect you not to ask them about their story. Introduce yourself. Oh- We're also in room 101 from now on since the headmaster ed up my other room.”

One of the shorter three stepped up,” Heeyyyyyy I’m Xiumin.” The man happily cheered. “I’m just a kid from Seoul and learned about exorcism the other day, so go easy on me.” He chuckled, rubbing the back of his neck.

“I’m Chanyeol,” the taller of the mist spoke as Xiumin stepped back. “I hope we can all be good friends!” he happily cheered.

“I’m Kyungsoo yo, but yall can call me D.O.” the lesser of the 3 spoke. “There’s straight-up not a god damn thang much too me,” with that, he stepped back as well.

'Is this kid a gangster?' Haru asked herself, head rested in palm as she tried to stay awake during the introduction since she woke up a little eailer then everyone else.

Dongwoo clapped his hands,” Welp, there you have it kiddos. Today, we’re all going on a little field trip. The newbies will be getting there assigned Aria and weapons while the veterans are coming for a little encouragement. Since I gave you all your homework sheet last night, I doubt you’ll find troubles in looking for a weapon.”

Haru remembered the assignment she was handed before passing out last night, a little briefing on which classes you can take.

"Knight: A knight uses a blessed sword of sorts given to them by the school. Learning how to use swords to fight against demons, knights are most skilled and resourceful in exorcism.

Xenon: A xenon uses a blessed fire arm given to them by the school. Xenon’s usually have extraordinary aim. Xenon’s are known for fighting with modern weaponry compared to the other classes.

Mercedes: A rare class no one is usually found in. Mercedes fight with bows and arrows, having far better accuracy then a Xenon – but find themselves in trouble sometimes due to hand and hand combat.

Kanna: A meister that uses magic in exorcist. Ranging from using their magic to heal others, or summon demons to help them fight. Kanna’s usually come from church and temple families due to there already holy and pure selves. Kanna’s also use incantations to stop and eliminate demons.

Phantoms: A meister that uses arts of assassination and ninja like skills. Phantoms are known for being incredibly fast and stealth like, thus, makes them the Haven’s first choose of exorcist to choose for recon and investigation missions. Other than being almost in the shadows, Phantoms are also extraordinary in hand to hand combat, but also fits with the blessed weapons given to them by the school.

 Jett: A meister that uses force and power to defeat demons. Unlike Phantoms who use hand to hand combat calmly and with skill, Jett’s have utter brute and skill to defeat there enemy. Most Jett’s are capable of mashing a rock with their bare hands without any incantations, or use of their weapons."

Everyone got out of their seats and followed Dongwoo to the class room door, Chanyeol bumping into Haru as they gathered at the door. Chanyeol smiling down at the beautiful red headed girl whose hair was in a tight curled ponytail, amazed by her color. “Hey,” he smiled.

Haru looked for where the greeting came from, slightly grinning back to the giant besides her,” Hello.”

“Seems like you’re the only girl here,” he joked. “What’s your name?”

“Seems like.” She flatly replied. “I’m Haru.”

Chanyeol was about to ask more about the girl, but someone patted his back from behind. “Don’t even bother man, she's kinda a lost cause.” Said Baekhyun, patting the other shoulder.

Haru biting her bottom lip slightly, nodding in response since Baekhyun was all too loud. Chanyeol felt bad and was about to comfort her, but there homeroom’s teachers voice boomed throughout the class.

“Now STUMPS, we’re going Haven’s secret sanctuary for the young exorcist’s. You will not tell anyone who isn’t a meister about this place, or you’ll be banished in one of the darkest and cruelest prisons there is, Hell.”

Everyone shook a bit from the thought. Dongwoo pulled out a large golden key from his pocket, then jammed it into the door lock, turning it. What was on the other side of the door wasn’t the darkly lit all way like usual, but a large monastery church.

“Waaaahh~~” gasped Xiumin in awe, stepping in with the rest of his classmates who were in wonder. “I thought we were in school just a while ago, but this looked like a totally different place….”

Dongwoo nodded, leading them all in,” It’s this key.” He smiled, showing the others over his shoulder. “It’s like the ones you use to get into meister class, but it leads you here. Haven’s trial monastery, where the youngsters get there marks”

“What exactly is Haven?” asked D.O.

“Haven is the organization that exorcist work under to fight demons and other unworldly beings for the past 600 years, which are controlled by the Vatican. There’s branches of Haven all around the world, each controlled by a branch director. Korea’s branch is watched over by the headmaster.” Explained one of the quiet boys who always sat in the back, the one with the slight cut above his eye brow and light chocolate hair.

“Wow, you sure know a lot!” Xiumin softly smiled at the man. “I’m Xiumin, you?”

The other lightly cracked a grin,” I’m Yixing, but you can call me Lay. This darker kid is Tao. I guess we never introduced ourselves, my bad.” Lay sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck. Tao who was right behind Lay only nodded in responce.

“No trouble at all,” smiled Suho, joining in on their conversation. “Everyone’s a bit shy, but after a while I’m sure we’ll all but good friends.” Tao and Lay only nodded, joining the rest of the group at a small pond, but it was large enough to swim in. It glowed a clear white, with small little abnormal, but beautiful fish swimming peacefully around. One the bottom was dark algae and small white flowers blooming from beneath. The faint rushing of a waterfall which was a aways in the back, falling from the highwalls of the monistary.

“And this kids, it where holy water comes from.” Dongwoo said proudly arms extended, as if it was his doing. The kids looked at the beautiful pond in awe. “And is where you’ll be getting you’re Aria, shortly after is where we’ll get your assigned weapons.”

Sehun was about to dip a finger to check out the water, but Kris yanked him back by his collar. “What?” Sehun asked in question.

Kris dropped his collar,” Not yet, kid.”

“Who wants to go first?” asked Dongwoo. Everyone looked among themselves, the four seniors stepped back and behind the teacher – having already got there’s. The younger group looked at one another, wondering who will go first. A male with dark chocolate hair stepped up,” I guess I’ll go.”

“Okay, Kai, right?” the other nodded, stepping already in front of the pond. “You’ll enter slowly into the pond till you’re all heads in, and when it hits you. Don’t fight it. Just let things go with the flow.”

Kai raised a brow at him,” What do you mean, it?

“Just go with the flow, kid.” Kai didn’t bother asking more with his wacky teacher. Taking a deep breath, he stepped into the pond. Walking deeper and deeper till he reached his waist, he stopped to look back at the others. Some giving him cheers to go on, while others just stared at him in wonder. Kai turned his head back, walking deeper again. Easing himself to calm down from the heart attack racing in his chest, taking slow and deep breaths.

The water reached his neck, the fishes he seen earlier start to swarm around him. And before he knew it, Kai was submerged underwater.

“Ah, I feel so bad for this kid.” Lightly laughed Chen, hiding a laugh in Luhan’s shoulder.

“Why is that?” asked D.O.

“Just wait for the fireworks.” He sheepishly replied.

The pond suddenly started to glow in a bright light, almost blinding everyone causing them to bring their hands to block their eyes – expect for Dongwoo who had brought sunglasses. A scream sounded from underwater as bubbles popped up to the surface. Haru flinched from the sound of it, wondering if it was Kai or something more animal like.

"I'm not so sure if I'm down with this." Xiumin said with widen eyes as the boy let out another scream. 

After what seemed to be an eternity, the water cleared back to its normal color, and a body floated to the surface with its back up. Dongwoo packed both Kris and Suho’s bottoms,” Well, STUMPS, go fish him out.” Kris only looked a Suho with a nod, Suho understanding and gesturing a finger at the water. With a ‘come here’ motion, the waves moved closer to them, so did Kai.

Kris carried the limp boy out of the water and lied him down on the floor. “He’s not dead… is he?” asked a worried Chanyeol.

Dongwoo shook his head and checked his pulse – just to make sure. “No, he isn’t. It’s normal to be out for a few minutes.”

“What was wit tha screaming??” questioned a wide eyed D.O.

“Like I said, that water is holy water. It’s just purring you’re body and is giving you gifts as it clenches you. It just stings to those who done more sins then others.” Dongwoo ended with a shrug, standing back up at the others. “So, who’s next?” The others swallowed here spit loud enough for it to be almost auditable.

After about an hour of screams and Kris and Suho pulling everyone out of the water. It was Chanyeol’s and Haru’s turn to go next. Haru unhooked her sword strap from her shoulder before setting it down by an unconscious Baekhyun, but Dongwoo stopped her,” You don’t need to do it.”

Haru looked at him bewildered,” And why’s that?”

“Because… You don’t need to do it.” Dongwoo picked her sword back up, giving it to her. “Go in giant.” Chanyeol gave them a second look if it was okay that he went first, but Dongwoo reassured him. With a deep and shaky breath, Chanyeol walked in.

“Why can’t I do it? Don’t you need an Aria to be become an exorcist?”

“It’s meister to you, young lady.” Dongwoo corrected. “You’re under special… circumstances. Let’s just say bad things will happen if you go in there.” Haru was about to protest, but that signature creepy smile Dongwoo gave convinced her another wise. With a biting of her bottom lip, Haru looked in worry at another one of her classmates scream in pain.

The other seniors watched the red head stand alone with a clenched fist from afar. “She’s weird.” Said Chen, head still on Luhan’s shoulder.

“I’m curious on why Mr. Jang didn’t want her to go in the holy water…” questioned Suho.

Kris rubbed his chin, thinking of the possibilities. “The only thing that holy water effects is demons.”

The four elder friends looked at each other. “She can’t be a demon.” Luhan spoke out. “She won’t be able to get into the academy if she was.”

“But Dongwoo said she was under special circumstances.” Commented Kris. “She barely talked to anyone and she’s already has a weapon before an Aria, plus her hair and eyes are different than any normal Korean. If that doesn’t spell out sketchy, then I don’t know what does.”

“But her ears aren’t pointed like normal demons are, nor does she have a tail or pointed teeth. The barrier would’ve kept her out too.” Addressed Luhan, pushing up his glasses.

“I talked to her the other day too.” Added Suho. “She was pretty descant, quiet, but descant. Although…” he paused. “She didn’t let me see her sword and was rather defensive about it.”

“That damned thing is with her 24/7 too.” Chen yawed, causing Luhan to elbow him.

“Says the one who’s half asleep all day.”

“Well, it’s final.” Said Kris, starring at the sword. “Get the sword and we get answers.” They all nodded in agreement, but jumped at the sudden booming voice of their dear teacher.

“ARE YOU STUMPS NOT GOING TO GET CHANYEOL BEFORE HE DROWNS OR DO I HAVE TO DO IT!?!?!”

 


 

What i thought the church looked like 

I'll do better in the future ;A;