Her Name Is Haru

Class 101

Chapter One: Her Name Is Haru

"You are a daughter of two demon hunters – exorcists.”

 

 

She stands alone in a field. Surrounded by nothing, but the grass waving in the wind. In the slight distance, there was the moon hitting the horizon as if it were a sun, however, there was much light out to see as if it was day; despite the sun. She stands alone by herself, nothing in sight. Turning, she finds a tree – a tree blooming in the distance with as if glowing pink pedals provoking her in a way. Mocking her of its beauty and grace.

 

A light breeze passes her, a cool wind caressing her face as well as pink pedal; flowing along with the wind, passing by her ear,” Come closer, child,” It whispered pass her. Without noticing it, her feet moved on its own, moving step by step closer to the mysterious tree.

It hung massive above her as if hanging over in a hugging embrace, it felt comforting when she approached the trunk of the tree. Lightly, she grazed the tips of her fingers lightly against it, making sure what she saw was real, which it did feel very much like.

“Where… am i…” she asked herself, knowing no one would answer her as she examined the tree closer, but to her surprise, something did.

“You’re in your head.” Answered a voice from above her. She looks up at where the voice was coming from, she looked at the being with her guard up.

“My, my, my, ain’t you a little feisty.” A little girl smiled at her, legs kicking in the air as she sat on the one of the branches on the tree, lightly giggling at the stunned girl below. In fact, she was quiet stunned, the little girls appearance was quiet stunning.

Her hair was long and snow white, reaching down over past her and a little over the branch, her eyes were a bright pink; matching the tree, while her skin was a pale ghost, almost transparent. Wearing nothing but a lacy ivory dress and ruffles.

“Who are you?” She asked, batting an eye at her, her eyes gazing at awe still at the girl.

“Me? I just live in your head, Haru.” She giggled happily, hopping down off the branch at an amazingly high height as if it was nothing, she moves closer to Haru. Haru only backing up, keeping her guard and distance from the girl. “Those church mothers really trained you well,” she smiles, admiring how ready Haru seemed to be.

“How do you know about them? How do you know my name?” Haru remarked.

“I told you, Haru.” The girl stops waking, enjoying the look in the other’s honey eyes. “Your eyes are so bold, Haru. They remind me of the looks you’re mother and father always gave when they sensed danger, but I assure you child, I will not hurt you.”

Haru felt taken back, how did she know about her parents, hell, she didn't even know how the younger knew her. Her parents and herself were common quiet people after all. “Y-You,” she choked on her words. “Who are you! How do you know about me!??”

“As I said child, I am the one who lives in your head. I know everything about you, my dear Haru, all of your secrets. Even the deepest darkest ones, you choose to hide deep inside. To put it simply,” the girl moves closer to Haru. She tried to back away once again, but her feet wouldn’t allow her to move, she clicked her tongue as the younger girl was mere inches in front of her. “I. Am. You.”

Haru’s eyes froze, she wanted to open to ask more, but they remained shut. She tried to move away from her, but all of her limbs refused to move an inch. The little girl notices her struggle and grins,” I’ll see you soon, Haru. The time is coming near soon, you must be ready.”

Everything in Haru’s head spins, everything turns black. The little girl is no longer in sight, while the scenery as well disappears. Haru is in a dark black world of her own, herself was floating in nothingness.

“Yah…” a voice lightly echoes in the dark. Haru snapped her head in the direction in which the sound came from. “Hello?” she called back in return.

“Yah!” voices started to lightly echoing louder in her head.

“Yah! Haru!” it said again, but sounding a bit louder.

The girl’s eyebrows knot together, a bit frustrated at the voice. She muttered something inaudible, hoping the disturbance would go away.

“Yah! Jung Haru! Don’t you ignore me, while we’re in the middle of class, you stoodge!!” yelled her fifth period – math teacher – Ms. Nam.

Haru nearly jumps out of her skin as the ruler her teacher wielded was brought down with much more force onto her desk. “Don’t fall asleep during my lesson again, or you’re in for it Ms. Jung!” yelled the teacher before moving back on with her lesson.

The class quietly snickered at Haru as the teacher returned back to the front of the room to resume with something like why the 4 should be carried over when the equal sign was present, blah blah blah.

Haru lightly sighs to herself, not really caring about the lesson nor the kids who still laughed at her, since this was the third time this had actually happened. She would fall asleep, have the same creepy dream about the one little kid, and wake up with a snap of a loud ruler and kids laughing, but this time, she actually talked.

Usually the little girl would laugh and giggle at Haru, then disappearing again when she builds up the nerve to talk to her, and walking up to where ever she happened to fall asleep in. She’s been having these dreams since she turned eighteen, having no clue where they came from. Google or Yahoo! Answers didn’t help her, so she knew very well she was in deep.

Haru knew she couldn’t tell her parents either since they freak out over the littlest things having to do with Haru; hell, they freaked over and almost hyperventilating to death when she accidently sprained her ankle training.

She thought it was best to leave it alone and let the “phase” past her, but when she said,” The time is coming.” Haru couldn’t help but shiver in her seat.

School in general seemed to past by quite quickly, Haru really didn’t care about her classes, she just helplessly drew in her note book with doodles of the young girl, the tree, and the horizon moon. It’s not like she was dumb or anything and couldn’t keep up, she just found school to be disinteresting to her, even though she was a top student.

Her walk home was also as quite as usual, with no friends to walk with and all, she blasted her iPod as she made her way down the street. She really didn’t see in interest in friends as she did in school either, they were just a waste in time, everything was as if a waste in time for her. Everything was simply boring.

Humming, she moved on her way home, through the uncrowded street she lived in her small small town, a little ways in the country side by Seoul.

♪ Geurae wolf, naega wolf auu~

Ah, saranghaeyo

Nan neukdaego neon minyeo~ 

Finally after reaching her destination, she smiled lightly to herself as she pushed the gates of her house open before slipping in and shutting it lightly. Haru smiled lightly to herself as she enters the home when a drift of her mother’s famous cooking passes her nose. “You cooking?” she asked, meeting her mother in the kitchen.

The other was happily humming away as she chopped some vegetables for the soup, Haru sat on the bar after leaving her things by the entrance to watch the woman. “Uhm~” she answered. “Just a little dinner preparation. How did you school go?”

Haru sighed before resting her head with her hand on the bar,” Just the usual.” She puffs a strand hair out of her lovely eyes. “I slept today during 5th period, though.”

Her mother grinned at her as she still chopped. “Why is that? You shouldn’t be sleeping in class, missy, even if your grades are good.”

“I already learned all of that last week, anyways. There’s this really weird dream I would have and this is the first time I had it at school, or when the girl talked. She said you weren’t my real parents, but I only laughed at her since-“

She stopped her words as her mother stopped chopping the vegetables, having the knife fall heavily onto the wooden chopping board. The woman’s eyes frozen, hand still open from the dropped knife while the other still holds the half chopped lettuce.

“Mom?” Haru asked noticing her shocked expression. The other snapped out of it, a hand running through her hair in frustration. “Are you okay?”

“Haru…” her mother trailed off, looking at the confused girl. “Has this been happening since you’re 18th birthday?” The girl shook her head slowly, not sure how the she knew. “This is want I’ve been fearing.” She said in a hush tone.

“Mom, I’m not sure-“

Haru stopped talking when she noticed her mother run over to the phone. Quickly dialing a number, the mother wait’s for the line to come through. “Honey? It’s happened. Yes, it’s Haru, she’s having those dreams. Yes, I know, I’ll take her to the church now, I’ll see you there.”

Haru looked at her mother more confused as she rushed over to put on her shoes. She jumped off her stood and headed towards her,” Mom! Can you please tell me what’s going on? Did you call dad or something!? Why do we have to go to the church!?”

Her mother slipped on her jacket, looking at her daughter,” You need to come with me, Haru. I’ll explain everything later.” The look in her mother’s eyes frightened the girl, they were gazing right through her as if burning a hole straight through. Not talking back like she usually would, Haru complied and walked with her mother.

Arriving at the church – which was a place Haru grew up in since her family was always busy with work – they’ve meet one of the sisters sweeping the sidewalk.

“Oh, look who’s here!” the girl cheered, noticing the two walk in and dropping her duties to greet her.  “Mrs. Jung! Little Haru! What can I do for you today?”

“It’s happening, Yoona-sshi.” Haru’s mother replied, stopping in her tracks in front of the girl with a little Haru waddling behind. Yoona dropped her broom stick, not expecting that at all. She looks at Haru’s mother to see if the woman is certain, to have the woman nod with much confidence.

“I see.” Yoona responded in a quieter tone,” Head Mother is in the main hall, quickly now.” Rushing the two, Yoona drags them down the pavement into the biggest chapel around the church.

“Haru,” her mother called at her, looking dead serious at the girl. “Haru, I’m not your real mother nor is your father.”

Haru scoffed at the girl after remaining frozen for quiet sometime,” You’re joking… right?

Her mother’s gaze wasn’t kidding otherwise,” Mother Suni will explain everything inside. You will listen to every word she says, and everything she will tell you is a hundred persent real.” With that, Haru’s mother hurdles Haru into the hall before locking the doors behind her.

Haru looked at the door dumbfounded,” YAH!” she kicks the door frustrated. “MOM!” She was angry how her mother snaps from a happy like usual to a psycho rushing her to the church saying she wasn’t her child. Yoona – her own friend – neglected to help the poor girl. She kicked the door with one last scream. Breathing out when she knew it was no use. Turning, she decide to find Mother Suni and see if she can talk some sense into them.

  “Mother Suni~!” she called out in the massive building.

“Hush, child, I’m over here.” The elderly woman replies, who was sitting at the front of the hall, praying to the statue before her.

Haru made her way towards the woman. Mother Suni was like her second mother, having being left with her almost all the time as a child, she grew a close relationship with her. She even recalled once when the other orphaned children at the church for having an unnatural set of eyes and hair.

“Why are you crying, my child?” Mother Suni asked quietly to the girl crying under the playground slide.

“N-No one wants to play with me,” Haru cried to herself, hugging her knees tighter to her chest. “I-It because I’m ugly, isn’t it?”

The mother frowns in disapproval, knowing Haru thought this way since the other kids never did want to play with her because of her looks. Her hair wasn’t black or dark brown, nor where her eyes a small dark brown. Haru’s hair was a natural deep ruby red, while her eyes where a large honey brown. Thanks to her parents, Haru was never allowed to cut her hair because of its uniqueness and beauty – except for little trims here and there – thus resulting in her always having to tie it up since it was a pest. “Oh hush child,” she soothed,” You are not ugly, in God’s eyes, he made you to be different.”

“B-But it’s bad to be different.”

“No, child, different doesn’t mean wrong. You are beautiful,” she smiles, hugging and comforting the child.

 

Ever since then, she was like Haru’s guardian angel. She even recalled another time when she dragged Haru out by her ear because she snuck out of the house and Suni somehow found her in a pub with her friends and fake ID. Haru suffered a scolding and having to clean the churches restrooms for a month. Mother Suni always had a knack for knowing what Haru did, right or wrong.

“Thank god I found you, Mother Suni! Please talk some since into my mom and Yoona. They locked me in here saying I wasn’t my mother’s kid. Aren’t they crazy?” joked Haru, sitting beside the woman who stilled prayed on the bench.

 “Haru, I know you’ve turned eighteen lately and everything must be new to you…”

“You can say that again,” she mumbled, crossing her arms over her chest.

“I know about the dreams, Haru, what your mother said is correct too. I was hoping they won’t happen, but looks like my prayers weren’t answered.” The elder lightly scoffed.

Haru looked at her blankly, wondering on how she knew. The elder woman did nothing, but continued to pray silently, eyes closed. She was about to ask how on earth did she know, but she beat her too it.

“I know because I feel it. I feel you’re troubled with something, and my only guess was you coming of age.”

Haru croaked out the words to speak,” But h-how did you know? Coming to age? Mother, help, I don’t understand – what do you mean? A-about all of this?”

The other lightly sighed after finishing her prayer. She turned her way to the girl, taking Kri’s hands into her’s. “Haru, you must listen carefully.” The younger shook her head violently. “You are not like everyone else and I know who you’re parents are. You’re birth parents are.”

Haru froze in her spot, by now she would be feeling utter Déjà vu by all her freezing, but it all just hit her. Unexciting and shocking news one after another just continued to hit her. Mother Suni held her hands tighter, taking another deep breathe before explaining.

“You are a daughter of two demon hunters – exorcists.”

Haru stared at her, eyeing her down as if she was crazy. “M-mother are you serious?” gawked the red head. “There are no such things as demons, seriously exorcists as well.” She lightly laughed,” I get it. You’re in on it too. I knew my parents could get Yoona in on it, but seriously not you.” She howled in laugher.

She shook her head, the girls laugh dying down,” No, child. Demons and ghouls are very such real as you and I, no one has ever heard of them because of exorcists – who serve and protect the boundary of the human and supernatural existence – no one has ever heard or new of any existence of them. Little slips up happen here and there where a demon trouble gets public, but there is nothing too large the Haven couldn’t handle. You’re parents aren’t you real parents either, just look at yourself dear, you’re eyes are golden and hair of rose. You’re parent’s don’t even compare to you”

“Haven? Demons? Exorcists? Mother, you are surely losing it. It’s probably because of genetics in a way too,” Kri joked, but the holy woman held the straightest face Haru has ever seen on the cheerful woman.

She moved out of her seat, letting go of Haru hands, and moved to the emblem in the middle of the hall. A large emblem with small angels encircling each other, playfully playing in heaven. “Mother, I’m not quite sure what you’re trying to prove-“

Haru stopped talking as the woman pressed on a small little belly button of one of the many angels, her eyes widened as the stomach of the winged creature grew wider and wider. Gears and little trinkets clashed against each other as the hole grew wider and wider and soon enough, a spiral stair case appeared – leading down the hole.

Slowly, fire torches light up simultaneously as Mother Suni takes her first step into the stair case. She turned a head to Haru,” Are you not coming, child?” she questioned before making her way down the stair case.

Haru gulped down her saliva in her already drying mouth and follows after the small woman. “Where are we going? How did I not ever notice this?” she asked.

“We are going to prove my point.” Mother said. “This place is secreted, only I and several few individuals have entered here.”

“May I know what point that is?” Haru asked once again, as the two finally stopped at a large wooden door at the end of the staircase. A large animalistic like growl rumbled from the other side of the door, nearly knocking Kri right off her feet while Mother stood in place, hands on the door knob.

Suni looked back at her before the corner of her mouths raised slightly,” That demons exist.” Opening the door, Haru could only see a long dark hall way with a bright light that the end. The room was filled with mutters and low growls as the two entered, Haru following closely behind her. Snickers and louder growls echoed against the concrete walls as they moved on. She looked around her, there where prison cells, looking to hold more than a thousand or so of those laughs and animalistic growl owners, staring at Haru as if burning a hole right through her head with their stares, but to her dismay, she saw nothing as she scans for whoever those voices belonged too. The millions of cages above and around her completely empty.

 

A hand swished past Haru’s waist as she gotten too close to one of the cages. Mother Suni whipped around as the girl shirked in fear, quickly pulling out a cross hidden in her sleeve as she violently presses it against the being’s hand. A loud howl hollered before the hand pulled back into its cage.

“W-What the hell was that!?!” exclaimed Haru, sticking closer to the mother since she clearly knew that she was doing.

“A demon. That particular one just happened to have very long arms.” She said ever so calmly as if it were nothing.

“B-But there not real…” she chuckled in disbelief.

“Then what do you explain these being’s in the cages to be? You can’t see them now, but you will soon. This is one of the few prisons for demons that lies under every church. The holy ground keeps them calm and weak from attacking or leaving this place. Since exorcist are hard to come by nowadays to exterminate them, we have no chose – but to keep them.”

Haru didn’t want to accept the facts, that something like this wasn’t possibly real. Being the rash and logical person she was she didn’t want to believe something that wasn’t suppost to be real. Even if it was before her eyes, well, her ears, but she Shirley felt it too.

“D-Demons are real…” she said, finally taking in the realization.

The mother stopped on her heels too look at the frightened girl,” Yes they very much are, and so are exorcists.” She turns back, walking up to the lighted glass case in the middle of the dark larky room.

“This was given to me by your real parent’s years ago, informing me to give this to you if you ever start to feel strange once you’ve turned eighteen.” Haru stood beside her caretaker, looking down into the glass case. There was a katana inside, it’s steal black while it end was red, its sheath engraved with some language Haru couldn’t make out. At the end of the sword was a decorative little keychain of a plush rabbit. Suni spoke as soon as she knew Haru was gawking at it. “It’s a little toy you’re father thought would suit you, he was quite the character.”

“What is this?” Haru asked, completely oblivious to the weapon engulfed in the case as she ran a finger lightly on the glass.

“It’s an exorcist weapon, given to your mother and father by-“  Suni cut off herself, rewording her words wisely. “A friend of there. Hand crafted and blessed by him especially as a gift to them, to pass to you.” Haru’s finger stopped moving along the case, looking straight at her other. “Can I see it?”

 Suni pulled out a little key on her necklace chain, unlocking the glass case and retrieving the sword of its confinement. “Here, they wanted you to have it.” She places the sword into Haru’s ready hands, the girl feeling a slight spark as soon as she touched the sword, but she ignored it.

Taking the sword in both hands, she looks at her elder,” So… what did happen to them? My real parents? Why did they leave me? What do you or my other parents have to play in all of this?”

“They were to leave on the most dangerous mission in exorcist history. A mighty demon broke the seal God had placed on him as he locked the fowl thing in the depths of hell, he brought havoc and world domination as soon as he freed himself. It was in the hands of your parents, as well as fifteen others to kill him. They knew it was a suicidal mission, thus, leaving you in the hands of your two parents, who happen to be great friends of there, and us, who was asked to train and prepare you for anything that was to happen, – who they knew no one would harm under our surveillance. Fortunately, they did defeat this mighty demon, allowing God to seal him back under the core of the Earth for heavens knows how long. However-“

Haru’s grip on her sword tightened.

“You’re parents where two of the fifteen who didn’t make it, they were noble hero’s and the world is forever in there dept, without them, we would be under a world of darkness and despair. Filled with pain and sorrow, demons ruling us with an iron fist, forever enteral slaves to them.”

“They died… to save everyone…”

“Yes…” Suni smiled, resting a arm on Haru’s shoulder, reassuring the girl. “They were brave and amazing people, Haru. Just like you. You were like they’re precious gem, I still remember your mother braking down when she handed you to us. You’re father with much guilt and regret in his eyes as he rushed your mother into the car, before giving a sad glace goodbye.”

Haru bit her bottom lip preventing herself from crying, crying about how finally learned the truth. Her parent’s didn’t abandon her because she was different. They left because they had to save the world, she was the world to them, thus, resulting in there leave.

“Haru, there is another thing I must do for you.” Haru looked questioned at the girl. She reaches over to the sword tightly locked in her hands, removing the sword from its sheath. Suni extends a hand out to her,” I need your hand.” Haru hazily obliged, giving her hand to the woman unsurely. Without her revising it, Suni slid the katana blade right across Haru’s hand, having the girl scream out in pain.

The demons went wild in their cages again, screaming and screeching at the smell of blood for the first time from the hundreds of being locked in that fowl place.

“SUNI! WHATS WRONG WITH YOU!?” she yelled over the beast, clenching tightly onto the wounded hand, blood leaking out. Suni watched as the girls blood slowly moved down the sword, gathering in the guard, remaining in its decretive sakura.

“Oh, hush, child, your hand is fine.” Haru didn’t know what the woman was speaking off, but looking at her hand once again. She saw no blood, no cut, and no scar, no anything of the sword being drawn there. The pain was real, but there was no evidence of it behind there.

Unclutching her hands, Haru looks at her elder with wide eyes,” W-What the hell?”

“As I said, this is a sword especially made for you, so, it was made not to harm you. You will feel the pain for it, but the wound doesn’t remain.”

“And what as the point in that!? That hurt like a !”

“No swearing in my church, child.” Haru hushed . “Look around you.”

Doing as she was told, Haru looked at an empty cage they’ve passed. It being no longer empty, but a demon with long monstrous arms, a large mouth leaking saliva, it’s skin deformed and a earth green with stitches as if it’s been sown together, it’s limbs looking broken and disfigured, and red eyes staring back straight into hers. “Oh, the girl can see me?” a smile creped in a revolting way, almost causing Haru to throw up as something large and lump flew out of its mouth. “Come play with me, girl. Let me out, I know you want to.”

“W-What is that?” a frightened Haru asked the nun.

“That is a demon, my child. Demons can be heard, but not seen unless they want to be. Its credential for an exorcist to see demons and it comes in two ways. You are either born with it, or if one encounters you and harms you in any physical way. Be it a scratch, a bite, or losing a limb. In your case, this sword is in a way connected to the demon world. It’s like getting that bite to see them.”

“S-So they are real.” Haru was amazing in awe as she scans the room to see more disgusted beings surrounding her.

“And you’re parent’s fought these things every day. To protect everyone.” Suni said calmly, seeing as everything around her way normal. She puts the katana back into the sheath and hands it back to the girl. “You guard that with your life now. Take it everywhere with you.”

Haru examined the sword one again, tracing a thumb over the dry blood on the guard. “I wish I got to know them,” Haru muttered, clutching the sword closer to her chest. It being the only thing she has left of them.

“Know you know everything, Haru. Is there anything you would like to do?” asked Suni.

Haru thought about it for a second,” Where are they buried?”

Suni grinned at the girl, then led her out of the room.

 

Haru stood over their graves, the rain lightly starting nowhere in the middle of somewhat fall. Daehyun and Elizabeth Jang. The two’s tombstone was extremely close to each other than the others in the cemetery. The one cemetery that wasn’t close to the church and the only one in two, the one Haru hopelessly walked past every time she got home from school. Taking no heed to the sad place.

“I walked past here every day, and never bothered to look if they ever here…” Haru whispered to herself, feeling guilt.

“It’s not your fault child,” Mother Suni said, resting a hand on the taller girls shoulder as they stood in a quiet silence, looking at the two graves. “They asked us to not tell you the after effect of anything happened, but since you’re of that age, I thought it was best for now.”

Haru slowly nodded, understanding her caretaker. If she told her any younger, she wouldn’t know how she’d react. She’d probably get angry at her parents for dying so carelessly - having the girl grow up with a lie that the two people who loved her dearly aren’t her real parents and having her real ones be something unbelievable a like exorcist. Something like a secret agent or world dictator would be easier.

But she understood, she could care less if she didn’t get to experience all that. Other’s did and it was due to her parents sacrifice – and that made up for all the years of missing out with them. Haru was an understanding and caring person, she wasn’t selfish about it.

"All the training and what not... what was it for?" Haru asked.

"It was to protect you, just in case demons were to attack."

"What do they want with me?" 

"You never can be too sure with demons, child, they tend to do whatever they please. Lately, they have not been coming out as much as they used to, but you can never be too sure. It was for your own protection."

"I don't have to learn something like cleansing them or something weird like that, right?" she joked.

Mother felt a bit silent. "Not if you choose not to." The two of them felt quiet again for quite some time, before Haru spoke up.

“I wonder who left those flowers…” she questioned, looking at a healthy and bright red rose – on each of her parent’s tombs.

“I wonder that too,” replayed the mother. “I always see them when I come to visit, but I never see who comes.”

“Maybe it’s a distance relative or friend.” Suggested Haru.

Mother nodded,” Maybe.” She took the girls hand – who was staring at the graves with a light grin on her face – into hers. “Come on, Haru, it’s pouring. We should get out of here before we get sick.”

Haru took one more look at the graves before nodding with the elder, as they made their way back to the church.

But little did they know, looking at them from afar, was a pair of red beasty eyes – lurking in the dark of the woods surrounding the cemetery, staring straight at them with a hungry growl. 


 

Her name was, Kri, which not pronounced Kree, but Cry, Kri = Cry

It's my friends name and i think it's beautiful. But my other friend said its better to change it since Kris is in here too and id get confusing soooo

Haru is a really cheerful, nice, kind, outgoing girl, but since she has no clue on what the hell is happening. She's going to be confused and asking a bunch of questions for the next two chapters.

I'm trying my best not to rip off - WHICH I HAVE NO INTENSION OF DOING AT ALL BECAUSE THAT IS BAD AND STUPID - Blue Exorcist, the manga/anime, so hang in there~