STUMPS

Class 101

Chapter Three: STUMPS

"What does STUMP stand for, Mr. Jang?”

“It means,’ Stupid Teenagers Under My Protection."

 

 

 

She sat quietly hands in lap across the car from the two clad in black exorcist she had met the other day. The glasses looking out into the window while the other dozing off into a deep sleep with his mouth hung widely open.

Saying her good bye’s to Yoona and Mother Suni with small luggage Hoya retrieved from her house, she was on her way to the exorcism school. Training to become an exorcist, to save people out of harm’s way from dreaded demons. The feeling inside her chest hurt when she lost her parents, her real and fake ones. No one should ever have someone you loved killed in front of you, thus, was her motivation in going.

Luckily, the police didn’t show up to her house where her parents were murdered. There was a swrum of people dressed like Sunggyu and Hoya, running in and out of the house, trying to cover up the mess the demon had made. Hoya told her they were like a cleanup crew, making sure no one knew about the existence of demons.

Haru honestly didn't want to go. She'd wish time could go back, so she’d be living with her parents again, the ones that cared for her. It was her fault that they died and she couldn't deny it. She cried her eyes out the other night while the others weren't looking and asleep, eyes swollen with small whimpers escaping her lips, knees hugged righty against get chest.

"Ms. Jung?" Questions Hoya, pushing his glasses up. Haru snapped of her thoughts and looked at him. Sunggyu jumping out of his sleep from the sudden talking after a long quiet hour car ride here.

"Yes?"

"Do you have any questions? You know, about anything at all."

She had a million to ask her mind feeling heavy from the unreal that's been happening, but she limited it too few. "I have three." Haru counted her fingers.

"One: what exactly is this school?"

She points up two fingers," two: how is this exorcist thing going to work?"

She holds up her three fingers," and what's up with his eye?"

Hoya chuckled at her last question referring to Sunggyu," it's not that weird, Ms. Jung"

"You can call me, Haru." She interrupted.

"Well, for starters," stated Sunggyu. "I've been running this school for a long long long time." He let out a light crackle. "I run St. Oxford private boarding school. A school where the young and rich are attendin-"

Haru interrupted once again in awe," The St. Oxford boarding school??? One of the highest most successful schools in the world?! It's been a dream of mine to go there. Wait- oxford is actually a exorcist school?"

Sunggyu happily laughed to himself again, “Well, I do impress." He smiled waving a sly hand. "Any who, st. Oxford is actually a normal high end school where rich parents just happen to dump there kids in .It's what lies beneath is where the real magic is."

She looked at him dumbfounded.

"The exorcist school is below everything else’s. You can call the actual school itself a cover up of some kind. A camouflage so demons and others who threaten us don't know where we train the youngsters. Exorcist sudents attend here for about 4 years, like normal highschool would and when you graduate - you'll transfer under a offical Haven exocrist. An orginization under the Vatican to mantain and protect the likes of demons that decend on Aradia - aka Earth or the upside of town" ȏ.̮ȏ     

"There's others to worry about then demons?"

"No everything in this world is good, Haru-sshi." Hoya commented pushing up his glasses yet again while being formal with her.

"Nothing major we can't handle~." Sunggyu chuckled. "The school is protected by a large barrier I created around it myself. No demon comes in, or out. You don't have to worry about it being like the churches, I'm much stronger then the eye can see." He places his head on his rested crossed knee, playfully tapping the bottom of his discolored eye.

"You will learn both under student and exorcist while you are here. After normal classes, you shall attend your exoism  classes" Hoya stated, breaking Haru's trance with Sunggyu’s eye. "I won't explain much since that's your home rooms teachers job, if I say more than needed he'd pumble me into sand again," Hoya muttered the last part through his teeth, hoping no one would hear.

"There's a homeroom teacher?"

"Yes, these will be like normal classes, but instead of math, English, and science. You'll be learning demon classes; demonology, how to track and hunt them, potions, how to use your weapons, ect. I happen to teach Merce" He ended with a shrug.

"And Sunggyu’s eye?"

Hoya flashed a forced smile at her," wait for your homeroom teacher." Sunggyu happily nodded like a puppy in agreement.

Haru sighed back into her seat, knowing Hoya wasn't going to budge with anymore then he's already giving. Sunggyu was already once again asleep, jaw wide open.

"Let me ask you this though," got looks at the latter," do I have any other exorcist students with me?"

Hoya nodded, feeling relieved he could answer this once," you have 10 classmates of this year. 4 are seniors who's trained here for a while, you'll be enrolling with the other 6 who's new this year."

"Are they like me? You know, with parents who are exorcist?" Haru questioned, gazing to her katana to the left if her.

"Everyone has their own story, Haru-sshi." Hoya smirked, pushing up this glasses. Haru sighed once again, looking out the window as they were nearing a large campus.

“This place sure is big…” she commented. They came to a stop at the gates, guards with large guns and heavy ammo standing patrol. Hoya rolled down the window to only show his face to the guard looking for some ID. The guard quickly yelled at the others to open the gates, so that their car may pass.

“What’s with the heavy security?” Haru questioned, looking at the guards as they drove past.

“Just something to make sure only students and workers can get into,” he simply replied. “You have to show you’re ID if you want to go in and out. Your homeroom teacher will give you that as well.”

Their car soon came to a stop. Sunggyu jumping up once again out of his sleep, whipping off his droll from the corner of his mouth. Hoya opened the door for the others to step out. Haru was amazed at the large European styled school.

“It seriously is big…” she said in awe, slinging her sword holder over her shoulder, looking around her new home for now. “Sooo…” she looked at the two. “Where do I start?”

“Real school starts a tomarrow - you'll be going there with the other exorist from now on, but exorcist school starts today.” Sunggyu grinned, swinging his crane over his shoulder.

“What was the point in changing into this?” With a raised brow, Haru pointed at her uniform.

“That refers to your other school too. I’ll get someone to bring your things to your dorm, for now, follow me to your homeroom.” Whistling a chipper tone, Sunggyu walked with his crane, twirling it in his hands.

Haru looked back to Hoya, who noticed her glancing. “I teach normally here too and I have to prepare for lessons later. Don’t worry, I’ll see you later.” Haru nodded and waved at the boy, before running up too Sunggyu.

Sunggyu came to an abrupt stop at a blank door. Haru, who was following behind like a puppy, pecked over his tall shoulder to see what stopped the man. “Is this it?” There was nothing around the door. Compared to the rest of the school, the normal door seemed to be trash thrown away.

“Sometimes, there’s a lot then meets the eye in this school, Haru.” Sunggyu reached a hand into his pocket and pulled out a key. “This key is for exorcist students and teachers. Everyone gets a pair. These keys are enchanted to go into any door, you’ll end up in your classes no matter what.” Sunggyu handed the girl the key. “Have a go at it.”

Haru hazily looked at him, then at the key. Sighing to herself that she had nothing to lose, she slid the key into the door and turned it. As she opened it, she expected to see nothing on the other side, but to her shock. The door led up into a deep dark long hallway, lit with small lights on the walls.

“Wow…”

“Amazing isn’t it?” Sunggyu grinned, walking away from her, back into the other school.

“Yah! Where are you going?” Haru asked, noticing his leave.

“I have to attend other business, but you’ll be in good hands once you’re in there. You’re in class 102! See you later~” with a puff of pink smoke, Sunggyu vanished into thin air.

Haru looked bewildered,” This place is so weird…” she muttered to herself before stepping in and slipping her key into her coat pocket.

She gripped her case strip tighter, easing her neviousness.

‘Okay, Haru’, she thinks to herself while walking through the hall. ‘Remember you’re plan, no friends, no attention, and no boyfriend. You’re here to learn about being an exorcist and will only think about it. The faster you can become one, the faster you can return to the church and protect Mother Suni, Yoona, and everyone else who needs it. You’re not letting someone you care for die from a demon ever again.’ She nodded in agreement to her plan.

 Haru continues down the dark green and red checkered tiles of the hall, counting the room numbers as she went.

73…75…77…

The numbers reaching higher as she kept walking at a fast pace, but she noticed something off. Stopping in her tracks, she hears footsteps approaching her. Sounding at the same pace she walked at, approaching closer to her, also counting the numbers on the room.

Haru turned around to see a boy approach out of the shadows,” 72…” he mumbled looking at the paper in his hand. He wore the same uniform as Haru, but the longer pants male version of it. His hair was a dark purple, his skin fairy white, his eyes glued on the paper, but they looked somewhat small. He looked up again to read the class number, but stopped in his tracks to a girl staring at him.

Jumping holding his surprised heart, “OH my god!” he breathed. “You scared me.”

Haru blinked, snapping back into reality,” I did? I’m sorry.”

He shook his head,” No, I should’ve looked where I was going.” He walked closer to her with a stretched hand,” I’m Byun Baekhyun.” He introduced.

“Jung Haru.” Haru replied shaking his hand.

“Are you a meister too?”

“A what?” she asked dumbfoled.

“A meister is easier and sounds more humane then exorcist, don’t it?” he smiled.

Haru nodded and was about to replay, but she remembered what she was here for. To learn, not to make friends. She turned without saying another word before looking for class 102.

“So, are you in room 102 too?” Baekhyun asked, running up to her.

“That’s what I was told.” She blankly said before walking on again.

“I guess, since that’s the only room here.” Baekhyun said. “What’s your story?”

“I just think demons shouldn't exist.” She coldly said.

“Oh, that’s good.” Smiled Baekhyun, noticing her cold shoulder, but being the chipper person he was – he still tried to talk to her. “I myself was just living alone one day till a demon broke in and almost killed me. If it wasn’t for Sunggyu, I would’ve been a goner.”

Haru turned to him,” You know Sunggyu too?” She mentally swore at herself for breaking character.

Baekhyun smiled lightly,” Yeah, he’s the headmaster. He’s a weird dude, but he’s pretty cool. His eye is totally wicked right?”

Haru only nodded.

It went silent, the only sound was there clinks of their heels walking deeper into the hall.

“So,” Baekhyun tried to break the silence again. “Are you going to be a Knight?”

Haru gives him a glance,” What’s a Knight?”

“It’s a class of exorcism, you have to pick a class before becoming one. Since you have a sword case there over there,” he pointed over to the hard red case with black buckles hanging off a thin strap on her shoulder. “I only thought…”

Haru nodded,” I guess I am.”

Baekhyun glared at her wondering why she was so quiet, with a curious look in his eye. He looked at her again.

“How old are you?” he asked.

“I’m 18.”

“Is that you’re natural hair color?”

“Yup.”

“Where are you from?”

“A small town outside of Seoul.”

“Where did you get you’re sword from?”

“A friend.”

“Seen a demon before?”

“Yup.”

“Favorite color?”

“Red.”

“Favorite day of the week?”

“Friday.”

“Watch any s?”

“Only 3.”

Baekhyun was about to open his mouth again, but she cut him off – not bothering to look at him. “Look, Baekhyun, you seem like a nice guy and all, but I’m not here to make friends. I’m here to learn how to be an exorcist and get the hell out of there. So, I’m sorry if I’m coming off as rude, but this is how it’s going to be.”

“Oh, I see…” Baekhyun said in a whisper, while rubbing the back of his neck, realizing he was being somewhat of a pest. “I get it, it’s alright. That’s totally understandable.”

Haru bit her bottom lip,’ , I hurt his feelings.’

“Baekhyun I-“

He cut her off,” Look, we’re here.”

Haru turned to the door he stopped at. With neatly printed cursive numbering on a plaque beside the door held class “101”. He opened the door handle for her,” Ladies first,” he smiled flashing a smile.

Haru forced a small grin as well, stepping in before Baekhyun did. The two stood in confusion in the room. It was run downed and old looking. No windows, indicating that they were underground. The walls dripped from the water above, the floor torn, room lightly lit, and desk looking as if they’d break, and over all, everything looked plain and old.

“Oh, look, those must be the last two.” Baekhyun and Haru look at the others in the room. There were 9 others gathered in either the desks, leaning against them or the walls. A tall one with pushed back blonde hair commented on them, while the other who sat in the desk with darker hair nodded.

The one in the desk stood up and greeted them,” Come in, find a seat.” He smiled. The two walked slowly into the room, allowing the door to slowly close behind them.

Haru made her way to an empty desk, while Baekhyun sat right next to her. Having no clue on where to sit since he was new and wasn’t acquainted with everyone else. Haru glanced around the room to her new so called,” Classmates.”

Two where in the back corner, one with black hair and dark circles leaning against the wall to stare at the one in front of him. He had light brown hair, slight tattoo’s pecking out from his shirt collar as well as the ones peeking out of his sleeves, he had a small scar on his eyebrow. He himself was resting his head on his hands, eyes closed waiting for class.

The two earlier were talking among themselves. While everyone else in the room was either sleeping, staring into nothing, or drawing circles in the desk.

“Looks dead in here…” whispered Baekhyun to Haru to have her only nod in agreement.

This was it? It’s so dead and quiet. For a school for exorcist, she expected it to be louder and more unusual. So far it was unusual, but vibe was just dead. Haru slugged off her katana case and hung it on her chair. As if on time, a knock was sounded at the door. Everyone grew quiet and looked at the opening door.

A man with dark blue hair steps in. Wearing the same get up as Hoya did. Book in his hands as he stood in front of the podium in the front of the room. He rests the books on the podium, then makes his way over to the chalk board. “My name is Jang Dongwoo.” He writes his name on the board before turning to his students, hands gripping the sides of the stand.

“I am you’re homeroom and Xenon teacher. Here is where you will gather for most of the day. I am also you’re advisor when you are asked to do missions for Haven and if you need assistance with anything. As some of you might know, most of you are new to becoming an exorcist or meister. Please use meister to refer to exorcist since there are many ranking and placing of exorcist and most people won’t know what you are talking about, plus, hearing exorcist too much gets on my nerves. So if you don’t want to get shot,” Dongwoo pulls out his large pistole from his belt, slamming it onto the desk causing some of the students to jump in their seats at the sudden noise. “I recommend you don’t use it.” His wicked smile plastered on his face was too creepy for Haru’s comfort.

“Told you.” Baekhyun mumbled, knowing Haru only heard.

“We have four seniors in this class who’s been studying here for a year longer then you, you can ask them for help with anything if I can’t help you.” He gestured to some of the senior students. “Kris Wu is the president of this class, ask him for whatever you need, even to do you’re laundry. He’ll do it.”

“Come on, Mr. Jang. Anything, but that.” Kris joked back.

“Find, you need a drug run and Kris will do it for you. If he gets arrested, that’s on him.” Kris was about to comment back, but Dongwoo completely ignored him.

“Suho is the president for the academy you will all be attending in a week.” The other who was talking to Kris just waved.

“Our Chinese student, Luhan, all the way in the back.” The orange hair boy waved slightly before burying his nose into his book again.

“And our geek, Chen Chen.” He pointed over to the boy with the glasses, sleeping peacefully in his desk. “Who shouldn’t be sleeping in his desk.” Dongwoo clicked his tongue at the boy as he picked up his gun off the desk. Smiling happily, he pointed the gun right above Chen’s head, before shooting rounds into the ceiling above the boys head. Burying him in the wood and plaster of the ceiling.

A blonde student jumped out of his seat from the sudden rounds shooting,” Holy !! Was that really necessary!?!?!”

Dongwoo tucked his gun back into his belt before looking at the class roster in front of him,” Yes it is… Oh Sehun-sshi. You sleep in my class and I will shoot you.”

Sehun swallowed hard before sitting back down.

Chen on the other hand was still peacefully sleeping under the amount of pavement and rotting wood above him. “Does this kid still sleep like a bear?” Dongwoo asked Kris.

Kris shrugged with a smile,” Probably all the drugs I’ve been giving him.”

Dongwoo was about to pull his gun out again to do the same to him as he did Chen, but Suho stopped him. “How about we get the lesson started, hum?” he smiled between the two.

Dongwoo sighed and tucked his gun back. “Today’s plan is about getting to know each other since you will all be working with each other for now on. Golden rule of being an exorcist: You never work alone. Duo’s are fine, but going in alone is suicide. Everyone in this class will be working together from now till you graduate and get into Haven. Be nice to each other.”

‘Great.’ Haru puffed a strand of hair out of her eyes.

“Basic things like name, what class would you like to be in, you’re motivation in being an exorcist, what’s you favorite position. You know - things like that,” Dongwoo looked at Suho to start since he prevented him in filling Kris with holes.

“I’m Kim Junmyeon, but please call me Suho. I’m the president of St. Oxford High and will be seeing you all soon enough at the entrance ceremony and is also the captain of the eventing club.” The intelligent latter smiled to the others, while walking in front on the class. “I’m currently still a page, but I’m aiming to become a Knight. I already have my Aria and weapon, so I’m just waiting till I graduate this year.” He slyly rubbed the back of his neck.

Since Baekhyun and Haru was sitting so close to each other in the desk, Haru learned over and jammed his side with her elbow.

“Ouch!” he hissed in pain.

“What’s Aria?” she asked him, seeing he knew more about being an exorcist then her.

He rubbed his side,” It’s like a special mark exorcist gets - you can get it anywhere on your body, classifying you are an exorcist and you have a power already.”

'That's what Sunggyu must have..." Haru looked at him wide eyed,” We get powers??”

“Yeah…” he said as if it were nothing. “How much of a noob are you?” he smirked, having Haru elbow him again.

 “My motivation is still continuing my family line, since I come from a family of high ranking exorcist.” Some of the kids gasped in awe. “I’m not really sure what my favorite position is, either, sorry.” he slightly bowed before walking back to Kris.

Dongwoo gestured his head to get Kris to introduce himself. The tall dark blonde sighed before making his way up to the front.

“I’m Kris Wu. I’m the president of his class and I expect you all to obey and follow.” He said coldly, earning in Dongwoo flicking a small piece of chalk at his head. Kris hissed and held the spot Dongwoo hit, turning to yell at the teacher, but Dongwoo looked away and whistled as if nothing happened.

Kris turned back to the class, while fixing his blazer, and cleared his throat before he started again. “I’m also still a Page who is aiming for to be a Knight, I have also gotten my Aria. I’m currently also waiting to rack up my years to graduate. My reason being here is to also continue my family line. I like being on top.” Kris slightly smirked, then walked back to his desk.

“Okay, then I guess we’ll start with the STUMPS that’s been here the longest.” Dongwoo said looking at Luhan to go on next.

A boy among the others raised his hand,” What does STUMP stand for, Mr. Jang?”

“Glad you asked, Mr…” Dongwoo looked at his roster again. “Jongin. It means,’ Stupid Teenagers Under My Protection. The other S just means theres more of you little s.’” Jongin awed before slumping back into his seat.

“Chinese boy, you’re turn!” called Dongwoo.

Luhan arise from his seat, settling his book down on the desk. He pushed up his thick large glasses which covered most of his face before speaking,” I’m Luhan. I was born and raised in China, but I moved here for school. I’ve been a Page for quite some time and is currently aiming for a Jett, but am also aiming to become a Xenon as well. I’ve gotten my Aria and weapon already too”

Baekhyun gasped in awe. Haru about to elbow him to ask what was that about, but Baekhyun stopped her since his side was in enough pain. “When you become an exorcist, you have 5 classes to choose to become. A Knight, Xenon, Kannon, Jett, Phantom, and Mercedes. Usually, people pick one, but picking two is something hard to achieve.” Haru nodded understanding.

“I’m here because I was asked to come and had simply nothing better to do.” With that, Luhan sat down with his nose in the book.

“Thanks for sounding dead there, Luhanie.” Dongwoo chuckled, the other waved him off. “Since Chen is probably dead, I’ll just introduce him. He’s Kim Jongdae, but we call him Chen around here. He’s still a Page, but his desired class is a Xenon. He already has his Aria and weapon, even if he looks wimpy, don’t mess with him. I’m not sure what he’s here for, but like you all, he’s probably here because he loves me as much as you all.” Dongwoo flashed a grim smile before looking down at his list.

“Since you are all newbies, I don’t think you’ll know much about Classes, Aria’s, rankings, ect.” The others nodded in agreement.

“Weeeeeeeellllllllllll~~~~ There are six classes you can choose from. Sometimes the classes choose you or you have no choice but to stick with classes given to you it like Kris and Suho. You must pick a class before becoming a full exorcist. Since you are all Pages, you don’t have to worry about it for a while. A Page is also the lowest rank you can possibly get, but don’t worry, you’ll climb you’re way up.”

“What rank are you?” asked Sehun.

“I’m pretty high up there blonde,” Dongwoo smiled. “There are two types of Aria's. One Aria is the mark you get when you get blessed by the God, a right of passage into becoming an exorcist. We will take you to a secret sanctuary on campus to get you’re mark, but you will only get it if he sees that you’re ready. Aria’s not only comes with a mark, but also a gift. A power of sorts that helps you fight those hell hounds that find their way up there. The other is another mark of God, but it's on your inner hand rather then a random spot like the gifted Aria."

Dongwoo opens is left palm so everyone could see the demonic looking circle in his hand. "This Aria is for summoning your wepon. You yourself must say an activation spell for it to come out that suits yourslef and your wepond. We found it easier to have these in battle rather then forgetting your wepond somewhere or losing it. Aye, Chinese kid!” Dongwoo yelled, Luhan snapping his head up to him. “Give an example.”

Luhan sighed, then rested his book once again. All eyes on him as the small book before him started to float, Luhan staring at it while the others gawked at the sight. “Luhan has telekinesis, so he moves things with his mind. Sometimes when you use you’re given powers, it takes a lot out of you, so we ask to only use powers for emergency’s.” Luhan sent the book back down and opened his right palm. "Smash."

His hand glowed a bright blue before a metal gontlet looking hand came out of his own. With scripted words, curves, and sharp metalic fingers. It floated above his hands before he said the same," Smash." for it to return back into his hand. Luhan sighs at the ammount of attention he had resived and sat down back to his book.

"Luhan's a Jett, so you usually have either a gontlet or gloves when you become one. He's also a Xenon, but still in training for his wepond of that class. If you happen to choose two weponds, you need to incanation spells to activate it."

"What if it gets in your hand or something?" asked Baekhyun.

Dongwoo chuckled. "That's likely to never happen, happen to Woohyun once, but thats because he's really dumb."

Sehun raised his hand again,” Yes, blonde?” asked Dongwoo.

“What if you were born with it? The gifted Aria”

Dongwoo clapped his hands together, forgetting that part. “Oh yes, that part. When you’re born with powers, you don’t need to be inflicted by a demon and can already see them. You are also given an gifted Aria at birth. If you’re a child born with an gifted Aria, you’re path of becoming an exorcist is already chosen for you.” Sehun ohed sadly, leaning in his seat.

“Classes now, tomorrow I expect you all to have an idea of what you want. We’re also going to get yourself blessed tomorrow”

“Ah, , I remembered how bad that hurt.” Kris groaned, rubbing the black dragon like mark on his left hand. Dongwoo threw one of the very large books he carried at Kris, he landing on the floor from the face shot. Kris somewhat drowning in his own blood.

“Don’t scare them now!” yelled Dongwoo. “I promise you kids, it doesn’t hurt that bad. Its’ like a small bug bite.” He assured.

“Anywho~ I-“ Dongwoo was cut off by the sound of a bell. The end of class. He sighed before reaching into his suitcase he had brought in and pulled out some papers.

“This is your homework for tonight, I expect you to read this and return them tomorrow. I’ll give you’re ID’s to you later as well” The kids nodded, taking a piece of paper before existing the classroom. “Kris and Suho, I expect you two to show them to the dorms and assist them in anyway.” Dongwoo instructed as the two passed. They both nodded with a sigh and one by one kids left the room, with Suho and Kris yelling at them to follow.

Haru stood behind Baekhyun who waited for his paper, she grabbed her’s and was about to step out, but Dongwoo stopped her with a grip to her wrist. She looks at him with a arched brow,” Can I help you, Mr. Jang?” she asked.

“Can I just talk with you for a bit?” he happily smiled, Haru looked at his eye smile, feeling something was up, but stood at the side lines before him as the others left.

“You coming?” asked Baekhyun.

“I’ll be there later.” Haru waved off as the other did the same.

“What can I help you with?” she asked him, arms crossed against her chest.

Dongwoo closed the door tightly, inhaling a sharp breath before looking at her,” I have… something to tell you.”

 

  

 

 

The school in a way

Haru's unifrom

omfg i , im so soirry