Chapter 9

Oh, Neighbor!
 
 
 
I was in my laboratory opperating on Biscuit- I decided a more attractive name than Willy which read on his name tag that was now somewhere deep in the trash- and freeing him from the wires that were planted in his flesh. Only the job of a pair of pliers  could remove them. Of course he would howl in unbearable pain that I would hate to experience first hand myself, but I had to block out his cries so I could finish the job. 
"We're done," I petted his orangish coat motherly. He whined, snuggling closer to the hand that was laying on the side of the table. "I know, it hurt didn't it?"
I wrapped the puppy in a blanket to halt his shivering then placed him a cage so I could take him to my home where he will be greeted by his new friend. I collected the medicine to bring with me home in a plastic bag, but I felt like I was forgetting something. Nothing popped in my head for a few moments but I still allowed it to be open incase it would come back to me. By the mean time, I decided to have a brief walk around the block to purchase a collar for Biscuit. 
"Going somewhere?" Youngjae guarded the doorway with his body. 
"I have to go to the pet store, I'll be back in a few." 
"Are we still on for tonight?" 
Why? Why did I almost forget that I was suppose to please Youngjae? It wasn't that he was unattractive, he was very persistent. He had the features, the culture that we shared, and the brains, but so did Daehyun. After the shocking incident from this morning, I felt he would be disappointed in me.
Maybe minus the brain part, I thought evilly to myself. 
"Yes, why wouldn't be?" I mentally slapped myself for being so obvious. "The coffee shop at seven." I checked my watch to calculate if there was any time to get dressed and head out, but it read eight-twenty-three. 
"You know, I've never been stood up by a girl." 
"No, Youngjae. I was just so busy cleaning the puppy up. I didn't check the-"
"It's fine," he held his hand up as if he was shooing away my apology. That approached me rudely, I guess I deserved it. "I'll just try again another time when you're not busy." 
I nodded my head in agreement but inside I wanted to pound my head against a wall. My obviousness should of radiated some type of answer like, I-don't-want-to-go-out-with-so-just-leave-me-alone. Daehyun was already a handful, I didn't need more problems and heartbreaks to deal with. 
"I'll be heading out first. I'm really sorry, again." Youngjae just shrugged his shoulders like it wasn't his fault. He stepped aside so I could slip through with the cage. With the bulkiness of the cage, I was surprised I even was able to get through most of the small-framed doorways. 
The air was cool. It felt refreshing on my dampened skin and it cleared some of the fogginess clouding my head.