Chapter 8

Oh, Neighbor!

   We reached the scene when the truck halted in it's tracks. I glanced out the window to witness tattered white clothing hung on every point the house had, a half-mowed and half-thriving lawn, and what caught my attention first; a cage near the rear side of the house that I knew in a heartbeat that was supposed to be concealed from anyone's eyes. Without any of the others consent, I dashed out of the truck and out to where the cage was without a sense of awareness if there could be alarms or an aged man aiming their shotgun straight for my head; my immense amount of mercy washed over me. All that was surging in my mind at that moment was rescuing that puppy from their malevolent, brutal owners who discover that malice is their joy. 

"Baby," I spoke faintly in case I would've already made it afraid of my presence. "I'm not going to hurt you."
"Yeah but I will!" Tomas yelled. "What the hell were you thinking! Just because you're not in your country doesn't mean that everyone will be nice and allowing."
"Mistake's all mine," I murmured while searching for the lock that entrapped this helpless, adolescent puppy from freedom, enjoyment, and a loving owner with enough room in their heart to fit them. 
Withdrawing the hammer- once I found the lock on the side- was enough to frighten the Corgi, causing it to shrill and corner itself in the back of the cage. The puppy's action only generated more fury within me, it's cowardence could only signify what their owner really had inflicted upon them. 
I had to whack the lock multiple times to have it break off. The noises that resulted scared the puppy more than it already was. It's fur was violently shaking from my presence inching closer to rescue it from the barbed wire that dug around it's small paws. The first thing that came to mind was to remove the wires that were implanted in it's skin, but that would only result in more blood loss than it had already been experiencing. The poor lifeless pup was suffering from pain and lack of nutriotion due to the sight of ribs just below a thin layer of skin. Half it's fur was already shedding from the cause of something that I couldn't think of at the moment because I was preoccupying myself by wrapping the dog in my arms. It was ignorant for my mind to be vacant of thoughts that related to the dangers of an animal that could've bitten me, but as it's head warmly nuzzled into my chest, my mind was blank. His limbs retracted with relaxtion as he began to doze off in the slumber that was was depleted from him.
"Let's get him to the vet, quickly," I spoke to myself rather than the blurred man near my side. 
The both of us rushed to the truck where we settled the puppy into a freshly washed blanket- I took care of the laundry yesterday as something to busy myself with when there was nothing to be done- and into one of the compartments, then ever so lightly closing the door.