Chapter 13

Oh, Neighbor!
 
 
The door bell rang a second time when there was not a response from me. I dashed across to the door, opening it to expose my bed-head and pajamas to the outside world and to the man leaning against the wall. Our eyes met, he was inching towards me so he could grab a hold of my hand to place a kiss. His breath washed over my forearms and wracked my body with goosebumps, my insides shaking from a mixture of anxiety and hunger. I guess that ramen wasn't filling enough.
"Good morning," Youngjae said, his breath swirling in the cold air. "May I come in?" 
"No!" I interjected almost immediately, but swiftly adding to cover for myself, "I mean, it's a bit messy. Can I have a minute to clean up?"
The only mess there was the hunched over man on the couch, clutching onto to a pillow like his life counted on it. I guided him to his feet then half-dragged him into my bedroom so Youngjae wouldn't see him and misunderstand our relationship. We weren't even friends, let alone a couple. 
"It smells like you," Daehyun's words were muffled because he was nose-deep in my pillows. He inhaled them and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have my fragrance any longer. 
Youngjae was patiently waiting outside, causing me to feel guilty for the both of them. I shouldn't be concealing him from anyone, Youngjae especially. Daehyun could've been my excuse for not accompanying him to some high-end coffee shop such as Starbucks. Of course Youngjae could be envious of Daehyun, but then would know that I belonged to someone else, heart already stolen. 
"Sorry, I forgot to put my laundry away last night," I lied. I was a professional at that and folding clothes, even the ones I lied about. Anyone close to me would've caught me in my crime of being dishonest, I usually wash on Fridays and Saturdays. 
"It's fine, I understand." I gestured to one of the chairs under the island placed dead-center in the kitchen. I offered to brew some coffee for the both of us but he kindly rejected. "I wanted to say something." 
"Sure, anything." 
"Yoo Sang-ah," he caught my attention from what I was preoccupied with; picking at my fingers. "I like you." 
That was when my whole world came crashing down. He wasn't suppose to be interested in me, after the incident of not going on one of his dates, he should've given up his determination. Not to sound like a competition, but Daehyun came bombarding first. His pestering was the main cause that my attention was focused on him then after getting to know him, I became mesmerized. His lips, his dark soft eyes, his cheeks, his eyebrows, I couldn't get enough of him. I would despise admitting to anything but loving him wasn't as difficult as I thought. His beaming grin and laugh lured me in like bear to honey. When he crashed his lips against mine, that's when I knew he was mine and I was his forever, I had to control my emotions. It overwhelmed and wracked my mind, heart, and the deepest pits of my soul. 
"Sangie," Daehyun groaned as he shuffled his way to me. He passed Youngjae like he wasn't even there, coming behind me to wrapped me into his arms. "I'm hungry." 
I nervously smiled at Youngjae who on the other end was horrified. This all had to be a dream, nobody should witness first hand their crush in love with someone else. 
"I'm so sorry, Youngjae. I would've told you earlier but.." I was waiting for him to interject to say something completely rude, it would've been better than the silent treatment. I found more words that could extinguish the fiery anger in him, "I didn't want to be so curt." 
"You could've tried." With that, he picked up his jacket that he had taken off earlier to slung it over one of his slumped shoulders, then left the premises of the house then sooner the community.