Chapter 3

Oh, Neighbor!

 

 

I shushed her, sauntering to the front door. Who could be wasting their time at my house? I was hungry, could those little Girl Scouts be there with cookies?
"You answer the door, but not me?" That man says, just as the door opened. 
"I rolled my eyes so far that I saw my brain. What do you need? Sugar to have an excuse to come here?" 
"These people are so rude, we were right," he mumbled under his breath. 
"I'm not like the people around here stupid, I'm just like you." I shook my head then placed my hand on the door in case I would need to slam it shut. 
His eyes widened with curiosity. 
"You're Korean? Yeah, right!" 
"I would like to show you my birth certificate, but it probably be from a doctor that doesn't suit your.. needs." I mocked him. Lacy came behind me, head between my legs, observing the man in front of us. 
"So, Noona, what are you doing tonight?" 
"Noona?!" 
"Oops, my bad, Ahjumma.
I scoffed, rolling my eyes. I couldn't control that my mouth was gaped by his sudden rudeness, but I couldn't talk down to him, even if he was a pain in the neck. My parents, especially my father, never allowed me to slip one word that was directed to elders without honorifics. I guess this, on the other hand, was a different case. 
"Yah, idiot-"
"If you're not going to answer me then I'll be leaving first." 
He pivoted on the heel of his leather shoes, walking outside of the roof's range and at that moment I wished it was raining to ruin his expensive clothing. Once he was out of the driveway I was beginning to close the door, but the sudden faintness of his voice drifted back to my ears saying, "The names Jung Daehyun." 
His name repeated in my head for a few seconds, trying to remember if I knew who he was. His appearance didn't display a name such as that, but I couldn't judge. 
"Huh, strange world."