Old Friend

In The Name Of Love

 

 

With trembling hands, feeling the tense that filled the air, Onew grasped the remote control and quickly pressed the off button. It will be a super weird situation if the song will continue playing is such time especially that he knows so well what is going to happen in the next seconds…

That a wild storm was about to start…

As he opened his eyes, Jonghyun put his hand to cover them as he felt irritated by the glowing lights. He turned to face the entrance, vision still a little bit blur. “What the-“JJong stopped as he saw the person who was standing in front of the door…

“Joon…” the name escaped from his lips without his knowing, eyes widening in surprise.

He was the last person that Jjong wanted to confront right now…

Joon…

An angry Joon…

His rival…

NO!

 His old friend…

 

 

Shin Joon. This hardworking boy is the leader of a group called SKY. They debuted the same year as SHINee, back in 2008, no the same month even. The relation between the members of both groups was not that friendly. And the tense between their fanclubs was seriously no joke either.

It was a tight competition between both of them for many years now and most of the people thought that was the reason of the uncomfortable relation between Jjong and Joon. But they all are wrong…

The story is way complicated than this…

Jonghyun and Joon know each other from a really long time, way longer that their debut date…

 

 

8 years ago:  SM trainee center:

 

“Why do you keep frightening key like that? Just stop joking around and let’s get back to the training.” Repeated the exhausted Joon after spending a whole hour looking for his friend.

“Because it is fun to every time. His face is super cute when he gets surprised. You can’t imagine how hard it was for me to catch this frog. Kibum will be scared to death if he find this in his back bag.” said Jjong with an evil smirk on his face.

 “Joon, you can go with the others to the training, and don’t worry about me I will be fine, that old man won’t be able to kick me out from the company, he really needs me right now.”

“Ya, did you think that it will be always ok if you keep missing the lessons like that. Don’t forget that we are still trainees and our future is not set yet. You didn’t practice anything for an entire week. Kim Jonghyun please just wake up and let’s debut together!”

Ignoring the other advice, the dino-like boy waved him goodbye as he sneaked from the window of the training room trying to escape again…

Joon let out a big sigh as he watched his talented friend getting out front the building door without being noticed by anyone, he sure is a pro when it comes to fleeing. His eyes felt at Kibum’s bag, the one were Jonghyun hid the frog in. the boy opened it, took out the animal and set him free throw the window muttering as a small smile was drawn on his face: “I can’t risk my best friend and my ‘future boyfriend’ getting into a fight because of this.”

SHINee at first was actually supposed to be a 6 members group. And their sixth member was Joon. With his selfish and kind of ‘egoist’ personality and being the rich prince-like boy he was considering the fortune that his family has, it was so hard for Joon to make any friend when he first came to SM entertainment. But, this boy who called Kim Jonghyun was different from others, he accepted him in the way he was. He helped him every time he felt so down and especially he became his ‘best friend’.

Although that their personalities, thoughts and principles in life are completely different, the two boys maintained their strong relationship. Jjong was the talented boy. Without the need of any practice he always could get away every time they had the month evaluation, he takes the music as a fun game, a way of easing his troubles. But for Joon, the case was different…

Joon was never gifted by Jonghyun’s talent. He was super serious when it comes to music and he had no choice in life but to work hard. He was indeed a really hard working fellow…

Joon believed in ‘The ten-thousand-hour principle.’

As per the results from so many researches, the hours needed to succeed in their field, in ten thousand hours, they say. Mozart, Beatles, Steve Jobs, and so many others too, their success was not due to prodigious talent or good fortune but due to their tireless hard work and suffering of the ten thousand hours. Perhaps that applies to work too, relationships and love. To finish with achievement, instead of waiting for good fortune or talent, one should put in endless efforts and must go through hardships.

Although that that’s undeniably a good motto to follow, but we can’t take it for granted. Hard work is important as much as Talent is…

 

All the troubles started when one day Soo Man called the six boys to his office for the first time. It was a very fascinated thing for them to get such an honorable invitation. Being just trainees with no clear future, it was one of their dreams to get and see how the president office looks like from the inside, behind that big door.

They were innocent and little boys with cute imagination; does the president really have a gold true-size statue of him in his office as rumors say? Or maybe the rumor about his chair which inlaid with diamonds is true?

The boys were wondering about those childish things as they walked so excited to the office.

Fifteen minute later, and all this excitement had faded as they heart the new from Soo Man who claimed that for ‘the the sake of group’ one of the six trainees should be eliminated.

Being the hot-blooded and the brave boy he was at his first days at SM and before his father gets full control of him, and having the –president hidden son card-, Jjong of course didn’t approve.

He looked firmly with no shame to his father face and said:

“When we first came to SM entertainment and were ordered to be working as a group, the first thing that the teachers taught us to do is ‘team work’: SM is a family not a company; if anyone of the group misbehaves everyone should get punished.

Even that I found that kind of stupid and unfair at first, but by the time I got to realize what that really means. And now, after being ONE you ask us to throw a member of our family? A friend that we love! I don’t see that as an acceptable thing to do. Even that we are just trainees but still, every one of those friends left his family and his private life, trusted you and followed your commands just to fulfill their dreams, training hard every day just to be a part of a big goal that called ‘debut’.”

“Well, you sure made your thoughts very clear Jonghyun. And let me say that you are indeed brave to talk with me like that” said Soo Man as he looked to his son with an evil smile. “You may be feeling like that because of reasons we both know, but what about them?” added the man as he pointed to the other five boys who were looking to the ground without saying anything.

“Before approving to be a trainee, you all should know that your future is not set yet. That a moment like this is about to come, you prayed that it won’t come any sooner but in the end you can’t run away of your fate. So I will give you the choice. Should you choose the one to get rid of or maybe I will have to-“

“Wh…WHAT?! Get rid of? You are saying that so normally and so calmly that It makes me feel sick right now-“

“Jonhyun stop!” a voice came from his side to stop the boy from adding any word and get himself into serious troubles.

“Joon…” murmured the boy as he turned to face his ‘friend’.

“He didn’t say anything wrong. We all expected from out first day that this is going to come so don’t act dump at me and pretend that you believed this whole family story.”

Jonghyun blinked in surprise, he couldn’t believe his two eyes, he couldn’t imagine that the words he is hearing right now are indeed from the mouth of his best friend.

 Joon added:

“Don’t get me wrong guys, but I always thought that 6 members is a big number for SHINee. Well I don’t know about you but I have a lot of confidence in my skills and I am sure that I would be selected to carry on with the group so worry about yourselves. Jonghyun you don’t have to be this sentimental about them. They can take care of their selves, the important thing now is that you and me are both safe from this trouble, key also so-“

“I can’t believe my ears… Shin Joon are you insane?”

Said Jonghyun as he raised one hand to grasp the other’s collar, immediately, Jinki held the other wrist firmly to prevent him from starting a fight at the president office.

Soo Man let out a long, loud and wicked laugh. He raised one eyebrow and stated:

“Things are now getting interesting. I have a one ‘big and loving’ family here…” it was then when an evil idea crossed his dirty mind.

His smile turned into a cold smirk. He stood up from his chair and walked to the big window in his office. Facing the large and full streets of Seoul he said:

“I have an idea to solve this problem.”

He turned to face the boys again, and continued:

“Let’s judge in a fair way. I will make a special competition and the loser will be the one to leave the group.”

Taemin’s mouth opened slightly in shock, and by seeing that, the man gave him a small smile adding:

“You don’t have to be that afraid. I didn’t tell you that you will all be a part of this battle.”

“So what did you mean?” asked Key in confusion.

“Onew, Key, Minho and Taemin, you are safe. I respect your choice of not saying anything and I hope that you will continue like that. SM is in need for peoples like you: not interfering in my decisions. BUT I am not really motivated to leave these other two.  Jonhyung have an extremely ‘burning’ personality and it will be so hard to get full control of him once he becomes famous. And as for Joon, judging by his actions right now I can tell that he have no loyalty. I already see this friend betraying me one day as soon as he gets a better contract.”

Soo man stopped talking to catch his breath and gave the two already frightened boys a small glare to make sure of the effect of his cold words in them.

“I already decided this so there is no coming back, and I won’t let anyone of you now disapproving with my orders. This is the best thing to do to teach both of you a lesson. The one to fail in the battle will pay his bill by leaving SM and the reminding friend will get a good lesson as well and will remember forever the time when his big mouth was about to make him loose everything he worked so hard for those last years. Let’s be quick and finish this thing. You have exactly one hour to prepare yourselves and I will meet you again in the training room. It will be a singing competition of course and the song will be selected randomly from the songs you have been taught throw your vocal lessons. You may go now.”

 

 

With slow steps, feeling completely down the boys left Soo Man’s office.

Jonghyun was having a mental breakdown, even that he knew that his father is a cold hearted person but, how can he be this cold to his son? Is he really planning to kick him out from the company after all this. But this was not his only problem right now. If he could make it, it means that Joon is the one to leave theM and he didn’t want to. He always knew how terrible joon’s personality can get sometimes however he really loved him and wanted their friendship to last forever. The best thing now is to join their forces and look together for a solution to save both of th-

“I guess that we know already who is going to win. Kim Jonghyun, sorry dude but I don’t think that you will make it.” Joon words cut Jonghyun thoughts. He looked at his friend not believing his two ears…

“Wow, you are seriously unbelievable! How dare you say such words, Jjong was your one and only best friend and as soon as troubles started you just threw him away like that. Cold hearted stupid bustard. I already disliked you for being a ‘fashion terrorist’ and I am officially disgusted by you now.” said Kibum as he fixed his two eyes on the other boy. Key has the habit to call the other boy a ‘fashion terrorist’ because he always thought that he has a horrible taste when it comes to clothes and hair style.

“K… Key… I- I am just trying to live on…. I mean we have no choice anyway. One of us must be disqualified and that’s a fact we can’t deny…” Joon tried to explain himself in front of his crush feeling embarrassed by showing him this side of him.

It was then when Jonghyun said in a low voice:

“Joon are you serious? I thought that we are fiends. How can you say such words to me?”

“Yes Jonghyun, we were friends once but we are not now. he moment when the president announced the competition we became rivals. Even that I enjoyed being with you but I always thought that you and me are not meant to be in the same side. We were so different, you were always in the light spot everyone loves you and compliment you for doing anything. You had so many friends and let’s be honest even the other member love you more than me Onew, Minho the kid and… Key…”

The last name escaped from his lips in a weak and shaking voice. Yeah that was true, even that admitting that part is so hard for him and even that he hated being second, the shadow of Kim Jonghyun but he always was. Joon was invisible in front of the other boy he was nothing… even in key’s heart he always have been the second, nothing more than a member that has a terrible taste in fashion and Jjong’s friend. He hated it, he really did. By being a friend to the boy, he was really so glad and so satisfied, but all his joy faded little by little as he get to understand that he can’t be the favorite to Kibum, that the only way to be first is to steal Jonhyun’s place.

The maknae voice brought him back to reality as he screamed:

“I am not a kid!! I have a name you know!!”

Ignoring the other words Joon continued:

“You didn’t have to work hard or experience the bitter taste of hard working. As for me I was always doing my best and no one was taking me seriously. When you were playing around or comfortably sleeping I was training here for hours. Sometimes I even spend nights and days without feeling the warmth of my bed or any rest just to be the best. Waiting for a day to come and defeat you. And apparently the day has finally come. It was a matter of time for this weak friendship to be over anyway…”

Still in complete daze, trying his best to prevent his hot tears from escaping on his already pink cheeks and finding it hard to even say a word, with all his reminded strength Jonghyun wanted to confirm for the last time:

“D-did you ever saw me as you friend?

d… di… did you ever consider me as only Kim Jonghyun not the dangerous talented member of the group who can be the cause for your problems.”

“Jjong…” murmured Key as he grasped Jonghyun’s held so tight. It was his only way for showing him his support. It was the only act that he can do to makes the other feel safe, to tell him that he is there with him.

“I am ok” Added Jjong as he gave Kibum a weak smile.

By seeing that Joon felt much more angry and irritated, he hated this. he hated seeing key by the other boy side. He wanted to be the one holding that hand. Without thinking much and being blind by anger and jealousy Joon gave the other boy a cold look and replied offering the other male a subjective answer:

 “NEVER…”

“Joon, you…” muttered the frustrated Minho under his breaths and added:

“What makes you this full of yourself? You even admitted it, Jonghyun is way better than you. How can you be so sure about your victory?”

“You must be stupid if you thought that Jonghyun has a chance against me, didn’t you hear the president words. The song will be selected randomly from one of our special training songs. How can he know it when he didn’t show up for most of the lessons. And memorizing all the tracks lyrics in one hour would be impossible. Let’s see if your talent will save you now Jonghyun…”

Life perhaps resemble to a game.

Even if you come up against a critical sweep, no matter how hard you try to avoid it… in the end someone has to be victorious for the competition to be over. Friendship, your heart aches and even if you wrap your mind around it, there’s no other way for a friendship to last if you start envy your friend. If you start seeing him as a rival, as a danger. If you lost that invisible and magical bond that tie your fate together.

Life perhaps resemble to a callous game.

And because the world is big, the number of rivals is more than friends…

Maybe your friend today would be your tomorrow enemy…

Life perhaps is indeed a heartless and cold game…

 

 

 

Back to the present:

Jonghyun took a deep breath and stood up from his seat. He walked to the door destination to face Joon who was remaining frozen looking at Key. By standing in front of him, SKY leader couldn’t see his crush anymore as Jonghyun blocked his vision to the room.

“Get off my way Kim Jonghyun I am not here for you.”

Jjong eyes followed the other boy gaze to fell on kibum and with that he understood that his was the one Joon was looking at with those fixed and angry eyes.

“I think that you came looking for trouble Shin Joon. I guess that Sekyung already told you. Listen I am sorry for what happened for your sister but-“

“I SAID THAT I AM NOT HERE FOR YOU. Can’t you just shut up!!?”  Shouted Joon as he walked to Kibum side, letting his shoulder hits Jjong as he walked beside him.

He grasped the diva hand and said in a begging voice “Key I really need to talk to you.”

Surprised by Joon’s touch Key eyes widened as the word “ok” escaped from his mouth.

Joon gave the other boy a weak smile as he was pulling him, being careful to be gentle. Jonghyun turned to face both of them. Opened his two hands to block his rival’s way and said completely afraid about key: “Kibum has nothing to do with this. I was the one that hurt your sister. I was-“

“I will take revenge of what you did to my sister later. Now I have a more important thing to do.” Answered Joon making a face. He pushed Jonghyun’s hand and continued his way to the room’s door.

Suddenly, he felt a muscled hand grasping firmly his wrist. Surprised by its strength, Joon turned again to face Jonghyun’s terrifying gaze.

Jonghyun was holding tightly Joon, to be exact the hand dragging Key…

“If you want anything from Kibum, you should deal with me first.”

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

A/N: Kim Kibum what are you going to do now!!!

Jjong statement at the end, that’s what I call charisma!! Go Jonghyun Go!!

Kekekeke lol I think that I am being so excited over nothing :P

I promised that this chapter would be super fun to read but I think that I couldn’t keep my promise; it was not as good as I expected it to be.

Sorry :(

Sooooo what do you thing about this whole story between Joon and our Jonghyun? Good? Not? So,so?

As you can see I stopped before saying what happened next (8 years ago) , aren’t you curious about WHAT in earth happened to make Jonghyun the one staying with SHINee although that Joon was obviously going to win. Yeah as I said, the story is way complicated. If you want to know make sure to read the next chapters arasso!!

Joon is a jerk, I know but that jerk is so HOT. *O* Omo…

Next time i will make sure to show you his photo kekeke :P

 

Don’t forget to comment, comment and comment!!!! Your love gives me the strength to continue this story!

Have to go now see you with the next chapter guys…

:) bye bye~