Chapter 7

Gifted Time

The thin orange lines showed up between the clouds represented the color of evening. The surrounding was darker than usual without the full appearance of the Sun. The outside filled with the solemn blue as the Sun hid behind the thick clouds.

It was Saturday.

It was five minutes before 6. Luhan bet that Yixing was still in Kyungsoo’s house, completing his assignments. Meanwhile Lu Fei An would not come back for these two days, started from today.  Luhan did not ask why she had to stay at the orphanage because it was obviously because of the kids.

He opened the window and the cold breeze entered the room effortlessly.

Luhan was alone in the store room, silently completing his masterpiece. Originally, he was searching for his old document. The latest subject had something to do with the previous one. So he had to find the old notes and assignments for references. He found it but there was other temptation that made him stay.

He unintentionally pulled a sketchpad book in the book stack and spent some times to draw something. The old sketchpad in his box was remained untouched. It was quite a waste, he thought.

He also found his favourite blue coated pencil in the box. He used to use it a lot back then. Even though it was just an ordinary one, he still loved it; the blue 2B pencil. It was his magic pencil.

 He settled down on the floor and leaned on the wall. He supported the sketchpad with his left knee and continued completing the portrait of his family. It was not that hard for him to draw every detail lines, shadows and shades. Despite of his interest in soccer, drawing was Luhan’s real forte. 

It was almost done.  Unfortunately, Luhan felt the intense bouts of fatigue coagulated both of his eyes ball. He needed to take a break or maybe he would like to take a nap. It was tiring since his eyes kept focusing on the small details on the portrait. He closed the sketchpad and rose from his position. His 2B pencil fell on the wooden floor and rolled until it disappeared from his sight. He was careless enough.

“Oh!” Luhan exclaimed as he watched the pencil went under the big cupboard. He sighed at the thought that he had to crawl on the floor to find it. His waist was not that good as he felt his muscle stiffened after hours of reclining his body on the hard wall. “But that was my favourite pencil.” He said to himself, battled for taking the pencil right now or later. He needed it later to complete the rest of the portrait.

 He gave up as he thought that he could not draw without it. He put the sketchpad on the box and he found a suitable spot to look the pencil under the bed. “Where is it?” He murmured. He reached his right hand under the cupboard and rested his chin on the hard floor. “Where are you?”

“Oh! What is this? Racket? Oh no. This?” He pulled something and he found a pen. “It’s Yixing’s?” He nonchalantly put it on the sketchpad and searched again. “Hah! I got you.” He took the pencil out from it and with it, he also took something else. Since his palm was rested on the floor all the time, his wrist was dusted with gray particles. He fished out the pencil which was already in his hand and together with a brown enveloped was glided under his wrist.

“My pencil…” Luhan landed his gaze on the thin enveloped. “What is this?” He pulled to reveal the whole body of it. Luhan did not say a thing but his brows knitted together.  A string of curiosity was plucked within him. He searched for the opening, eager to see the content.

He opened it slowly and his eyes widen.

Internally, he could not consume what he just found.

“What the hell… is this?”