Chapter 1

Gifted Time

 When her husband died about seven years ago, Luhan was only one year old at that time. Lu Fei An could remember how she started working at the orphanage. It was not that easy to forget about her beloved husband. She busied herself with organizing the children’s welfare, besides being a health consultant at the nearest kindergarten. She had to do something so she could get over it and started her new life with her only son.

 It was not that long after she found a poor little baby in front of the orphanage, in front of the gate. She decided to adopt him to be one of hers. She insisted to have another child even though Principal Park Minju said that it was wrong. Lu Fei An made Principal Park rest her case by saying that his biological mother didn’t deserve him anymore once she left him here.

She begged and begged, just this once, she wanted the baby.

“What are you going to do with this birth certificate?” Principal Park asked in hard tone, controlled-voice level. It was the only thing that she left with the baby.

Instead of being Hua Ze Lei, Lu Fei An changed his name into Lu Yi Xing. There was no point to keep his real name since his biological mother heartlessly abandoned him. She had torn the certificate but then she recollected it. She put the pieces back together for an unknown reason. However, this event should be remaining as a secret. She told every person that knew about this in no uncertain terms. She made another birth certificate with internal cable in the organization, so she could have it in a short time. This would shut the mouths of all the doubters.

 Lu Yixing was now legal and he was hers.

**

The staffs were busy with the food preparation. One of them was Lu Fei An. She was cutting the oranges into four pieces and arranged them in the big silver trays. Principal Park approached closer to her, “It looks like Jaemi was no longer here.” She greeted.

Lu Fei An smirked and lifted her chin, “It is.”

Principal Park chuckled. She took a knife and helped cutting the fruit. “Your nemesis is finally gone,” She continued. “You should be happy.”

“I am, but I’m worried.” Lu Fei An frowned. She slightly pushed the full tray to aside and took a new one. “Why?” Principal asked.

“Luhan told me that he went to her house. He came to help her.” She sighed. “I’m afraid Jaemi said something that she shouldn’t say. Why did he go anyway?” Lu Fei An could not understand why Luhan was so nice toward her enemy.

"Your son is a nice boy, Fei ah. Furthermore, he had no idea about Jaemi, am I right?"Principal Park said. However, she doubted that Jaemi would say something to Luhan too. “Well, if Luhan didn’t ask you anything, so there’s nothing you have to worry about.” She suggested.  Lu Fei An did not answer, but she slightly nodded. Jaemi was not that kind afterall, she thought.

"I have no idea why she hates you so much." Principal Park added. Lu Fei An did not understand it either. She could not figure it out how Jaemi knew about her secret; about Yixing. In the end, she decided not to think about it anymore. Jaemi was not longer here, so that was the end of their constant conflict. 

No more Jaemi in her life, she guessed.

*

“We’ll eat well!”

 

The kids declared, half-shouted. The canteen was noisy and full.  She nodded in approval, then she threw her gaze at the last row, two young men occupied the last table. The tables and chairs were provided for the kids, so they were too small for both of them. It was funny just to look at them, and she chuckled at it.

There was her beloved son Luhan, the one with pale skin and light brown hair. Meanwhile, Park Chanyeol sat in front of him. He wore his favourite cap today.  The red cap covered most of his black hair. 

“Man, this chair is too small for me. How can you sit on it?” Park Chanyeol groaned. He eyed Luhan who was already eating.

“I used two chairs.” Luhan simply answered.

“Ya, you should've told me earlier!” Chanyeol turned back to grab another unoccupied chair.

“Use your brain, won’t you?” he giggled.

A little boy saw Park Chanyeol sat on the two chairs and started to laugh, “Uncle! Your is big!” he mocked. They turned to the next table, and found two boys were laughing at him. Chanyeol gave them a look whilst Luhan was laughing.

“Sunghwa ya, just eat your meal, okay? And call me hyung or I’ll make you kiss my .” He joked.

“Eww!” The boys exclaimed. Luhan was laughing even louder. “How can you say something like that to them?” Luhan asked, he was still laughing.

“And why you can’t stop laughing? Stop it, can’t you?” he asked back, felt quite upset.

It had been years now, Luhan and Park Chanyeol; Principal Park Minju’s son already made the orphanage as their second home. Both of them were officially 20 this year, and Park Chanyeol already celebrated his birthday last month. Like their mothers, they had been friend since elementary school until now. Taking the same major in the same college made them even closer like brothers.

“I’ll eat well.” Chanyeol announced.

They spoke no more during the lunch, but Luhan was in dazed. He kept munching his food nonchalantly. Park Chanyeol was watching the latter; he wondered what Luhan was thinking about.

“What?” Chanyeol poked Luhan’s nose with the top of his chopsticks.

Luhan surprised and he jolted, “Ah! Chanyeol ya!”  Luhan was scratching his nose. “What?”

“What are you thinking about?” Chanyeol asked again. “Broke up with girlfriend?”

Luhan hesitated. “You know I’m single.” He was not amused. He put the spoon on the table. “Yixing has tests today. I’m worried if he’s fine. He didn’t sleep last night.”

“Did he study last minutes or something?” Chanyeol spoke with his full mouth.

“Not really, He was just scared he would forget everything he learned. So, he kept revising until the dawn. He even skipped his breakfast this morning.” Luhan pouted. “If mom knew, I’m doomed.”

“Aha! Your mom never let you guys skip meals, I know. That’s bad, thought. But, I think he’ll be just fine.” Chanyeol smiled as a sign of assurance.

“Is it?”

“Yup!” Chanyeol simply answered. “He’ll be just fine. Your younger brother is clever, don’t you think so? Furthermore, it’s not like they don’t have food at their school. Chill! ” He shoved another scoop of rice into his mouth.

Luhan nodded and a thin smile bloomed on his face.

**

 

“You have 30 minutes left.” One of the proctors announced. 

Yixing bite his lower lip as he glared the digital clock on the wall. His forehead was covered with sweat and his face was pale. Time like this, he supposed to write at least half of the first essay since there were two essays for the last section. He glanced at the next table, Xiumin; he already did one or two paragraphs for the first essay.  

Yixing! What are you doing?!

I’m so done

 “Concentrate on your paper.” A proctor came to his table and tapped his index finger on his papers.

 “I’m sorry.” Yixing apologized. He lifted his chin to see the latter and what an intolerable face he had. His nametag clipped on tie, Kim Jumyeon was written on it and the little plaque shined under the light. As the proctor left, Yixing gave attention back to the paper.

Pulmonary artery

Aorta

Cerebrum

 Spinal cord

He completed the two structures so now he answered the next question. He turned the page and three questions were given. It was time for the essay. He read the questions and reread them again. He chose one of them and he needed to choose another one. That was not that hard. But,he reread them again.

Now, Yixing!

Two questions selected, he had to do the draft or answered them directly. His battle in this limited time was no jokes.

 His brain could not process the information, so he reread them again.

He felt so hard to move his right hand. He had to write the answer now.

Yixing! Answer now! What are you doing?

Yes! I know!

Now!

Yixing!

He mentally scolded himself.  He slowly felt the invisible pressured at the back of his head. Unexpected, a silent white noise echoed within him and all the thinking processes were terminated.

System was shutting down.