A Christmas Miracle (JYJ)

12 Days of Kpop Christmas

“Kim Junsu, if you want to keep your fingers, you will keep them out of my food until I’m done cooking,” Jaejoong threatened, pointing a wooden spoon at his younger friend.

 

Junsu narrowed his eyes and huffed. “Hyung,” he whined. “It’s Christmas Eve, you’re supposed to be nice to me!”

 

Jaejoong looked at his friend before rolling his eyes and turning back to the boiling pot. He and Junsu lapsed into a few minutes’ worth of silence before someone started knocking at the door.

 

“That should be Yoochun,” Jaejoong commented, not looking up. “Will you go let him in?”

 

“Sure,” Junsu said. He left the kitchen and made his way to the front door. “Yoochun-hyung, hey!” he called out, opening the door.

 

Yoochun grinned and entered. He took off his shoes and looked at his good friend. “Hi, Junsu. Is Jaejoong-hyung in the kitchen? I bought a couple of the things he asked for.”

 

Junsu nodded and the pair returned to the kitchen. Yoochun set the small plastic bag on the counter and let Junsu take the wrapped presents out of his arms. The younger man disappeared into the living room to put them under the tree.

 

“Merry Christmas,” Yoochun grinned. “I wasn’t able to find everything you asked for.”

 

Jaejoong turned around, smiling. He pulled the bag closer and started sifting through it. “Merry Christmas, Yoochun-ah. It’s okay. I’ll head out in a little bit to see if I can find them. If I can’t find the perfect wine to go with this dinner…” The man just sighed as he trailed off.

 

Yoochun couldn’t help the laughter that bubble out at his friend’s lamenting over food. He shook his head and went to the living room when he heard the TV turn on.

 

~ * ~

 

About twenty minutes later, Jaejoong stood in the front entrance. He called out as he pulled on his jacket and shoes, “I’m heading to the store! I’ll be back soon!”

 

“Take your time!” Yoochun and Junsu chorused. Jaejoong smiled at the distracted tone and left to find his car.

 

When he arrived at the grocery store, Jaejoong immediately set to work. He ran through the missing ingredients as he walked up and down each aisle. He hummed a Christmas tune as he slowly filled the cart. Before long, Jaejoong found himself standing in front of a rack of holiday-themed candies.
 

A particular chocolate was what caught Jaejoong’s eye. It was the size of his palm and shaped like two crossed candy canes. He knew beyond a doubt that the white parts were white chocolate and the red parts were painted dark chocolate. Jaejoong picked one up and looked it over, a small grin taking over his face.

 

“She used to love these. I wonder how Minyoung is...Maybe I should’ve tried harder after our fight…” he muttered, letting nostalgia take over.

 

“What do you mean you’re not going to be able to come?” a young girl yelled. She was standing across from Jaejoong in an empty playground. “Oppa, it’s my birthday...you can’t miss it!”

 

“I know, I know. It’s just...this is really important to me, Minyoung. You know how important it is,” Jaejoong argued. He was trying to make the girl see his way.

 

“But you’re my best friend, Jae. The party wouldn’t be the same without you,” Minyoung replied. She could feel the tears coming. “Can’t you go to Seoul afterwards?”

 

Jaejoong was starting to get frustrated. He threw his arms up in the air and huffed. “I don’t see why you’re so upset, Minyoung! I mean, it’s just a party! It’s not like there won’t be more.”

 

Almost as immediately as the words left his lips, Jaejoong began to regret them. He knew it was more the fact that he’d miss her birthday rather than the party, itself. It was as if time froze when his eyes met Minyoung’s. She didn’t even try to hold back the tears anymore.

 

“I can’t believe you just said that,” she whispered, turning to run.

 

“Wait! Minyoung-ah, wait!” Jaejoong called, running after her. He caught her by the arm and turned her to face him. “Minyoung-ah, I’m so sorry. I shouldn’t have said that. I’m sorry.”

 

Minyoung shook her head, “Why should I believe you?” She tried to pull away, but Jaejoong’s grip was too tight. “Let go!”

 

Jaejoong tried to figure out what to say that would fix his mistake. He didn’t even think twice about the words that came tumbling out next. “I like you.”

 

Minyoung stopped pushing at the hand holding her upper arm and stared at the older boy. “You...what?”

 

“I like you,” Jaejoong repeated. His eyebrows drew together when the girl started laughing. Jaejoong’s hand slipped from her arm and Minyoung took the chance to step back. “Why are you…”

 

“Wow. Just wow. You like me? That’s the best you can come up with?” Minyoung laughed again without humor. “I don’t believe you, Jaejoong. Of all the things to try and cover your tracks, you say you like me.”'

 

“But it’s true!” Jaejoong exclaimed. He could feel his heart squeeze when Minyoung met his gaze once more. Her eyes weren’t filled with the laughter and joy he usually saw. This time, they were filled with pain and anger and something else. Was that regret?

 

Minyoung shook her head at Jaejoong, crying. Without another word, she turned and walked away. This time, however, Jaejoong didn’t even try to stop her.

 

Jaejoong exhaled as he returned to the present. It had been a long time since he thought about the fight with Minyoung. Mindlessly tossing the chocolate in his cart, Jaejoong quickly made his way to the wine rack a couple aisles over. It took him only a moment to find the singular wine that would match his recipe. When he reached up to grab it, another hand, this one small and thin, entered his line of vision, reaching for the same bottle.

 

“Oh, sorry!” a voice exclaimed. The hand quickly withdrew. Jaejoong followed it and stared at the woman standing next to him. “Jae?” the woman whispered with wide eyes.

 

“Minyoung,” Jaejoong coughed out the name. The smile that grew on his face was mirrored on Minyoung’s. “Wha...what are you doing here?”

 

Minyoung shook her head to clear her thoughts. “I just got back to Korea last week. I got a job here in Seoul.”

 

“Just got back?” Jaejoong repeated, making Minyoung laugh.

 

“Yeah, I’ve been in France the past six years at a culinary art school. Had to keep myself busy. You certainly did,” she smiled. “I’ve been keeping up with you, you know.” That sounded a lot less creepy in my head.

 

Jaejoong laughed and smiled shyly at the floor. “You have...Why? I thought you hated me after what I said to you.” Jaejoong looked up when Minyoung snorted.

 

“I did. At least until my mom yelled at me for being such a drama queen….which was about two hours after I got home that day. And before you ask why I never came after you or contacted you, you should think about it. I was embarrassed over making such a fool of myself. I couldn’t bring myself to face you, and before I knew it, you had left for Seoul.”

 

Jaejoong smiled softly at his old friend, “I really am sorry. I regretted saying what I did right after I said it.”

 

“I know,” Minyoung grinned. She nodded towards the wine. “Special night with the girlfriend?”

 

“No,” Jaejoong chuckled. “I’d need a girlfriend for that. Just...Christmas Eve dinner with a couple of friends. What about you? Hot date?”

 

“Nope,” Minyoung shook her head. “I don’t have a boyfriend so I’m by myself for the holiday. I was just going to settle down with some wine, candles, bubbles, and a good book.”

 

Jaejoong laughed, “That sounds like you. No one should be alone on Christmas. You’re coming home with me. No arguing!” He added the last part when Minyoung’s eyes widened and she opened to speak. “Lee Minyoung, I will kidnap you if I have to. You know I will, I've done it before.”

 

~ * ~

 

“Guys, I’m back!” Jaejoong called out when he entered his apartment. “And I brought company.” He looked back when Minyoung came through the door. “Welcome to my home.”

 

“Wow,” Minyoung sighed as she took off her shoes and coat. She followed Jaejoong into the kitchen. “This is a really nice place. You’re good at decorating.”

 

Jaejoong thanked her and smiled when his bandmates came into the room. “Minyoung-ah, this is Park Yoochun and Kim Junsu. Guys, this is Lee Minyoung, an old friend of mine.”

 

“Hi,” Yoochun grinned, bowing to the girl. Junsu followed suit and Minyoung greeted them back.

 

“I’m a big fan of you guys, actually,” the young woman giggled. Jaejoong raised an eyebrow.

 

“You what?” he asked.

 

Minyoung nodded. “I especially like Yoochun-ssi. You’ve become one of my favorite actors.”

 

Yoochun smiled widely and was about to thank her when Junsu interrupted.

 

“What about me?” he asked, making Minyoung giggle again

 

“I’m a fan of yours, too, Junsu-ssi. One of my visits back home was timed so that I could see your musical.”

 

Junsu grinned at her and replied, “Thank you!” He turned to Jaejoong. “Hyung, I like her. How come you’ve never told us about Minyoung-ssi?”

 

Jaejoong floundered for an answer and Minyoung came to the rescue.

 

“We didn’t exactly part on good terms,” she said. When Yoochun and Junsu’s faces fell, she quickly changed the subject. “Oppa, do you need help cooking?”

 

Jaejoong shook his head in response. “You can just relax, I’ve got things under control. Why don’t you go hang out with Yoochun and Junsu since you’re such a big fan of theirs?”

 

Yoochun and Junsu snorted when Minyoung’s jaw dropped.


“Kim Jaejoong!” she squeaked. Minyoung glared at her friend when Jaejoong chuckled and began ushering the trio out of the kitchen. Deciding to get revenge, she quickly turned to Yoochun and Junsu. “Say, you guys want to hear some stories about Jaejoong-oppa when he was a kid? I’ve got some really funny, embarrassing ones.”

 

“YA!” Jaejoong yelled when they ran off like children. He shook his head and turned to finish dinner.

 

~ * ~

 

Yoochun stretched his arms up and over the back of his chair, letting out a yawn. “Hyung, that was delicious!”

 

“Yeah! You’re always such a great cook,” Junsu agreed.

 

Jaejoong thanked them and turned to Minyoung, “What did you think, Ms. French Chef?”

 

Minyoung giggled and sipped her water before answering, “It was great, Jaejoong. How is it I studied cooking and yet you’re better than me?”

 

Jaejoong shrugged his answer, making everyone at the table laugh. He got up and began cleaning. Junsu and Yoochun got up, too, and started helping. When Minyoung stood to collect dishes, Jaejoong stopped her.

 

“You just relax, Minyoung-ah. We’ve got this.”

 

Minyoung returned Jaejoong’s smile with one of her own and left the dining room. She sighed and began to look around, stopping to pet and play with Jaejoong’s cat outside the living room. She entered the living room when Jiji ran away and walked towards the windows. Minyoung stared out at the city lights and sighed, thinking about how good it felt to be back in South Korea. And with Jaejoong again. It’s like a Christmas miracle to find him after all this time, she thought with a smile.

 

“What’s that for?” Jaejoong asked, walking up behind her. He handed Minyoung a glass of wine and sipped at his own.

 

“Oh, just thinking about how much I missed Korea,” Minyoung commented. She grinned at the sweet taste of the wine.

 

“Ahh. How are you enjoying Seoul, so far?” Jaejoong asked again.

 

“I really like it,” Minyoung replied, looking from Jaejoong to the city lights. “It’s beautiful at night, that’s for sure.”

 

Jaejoong looked down at the woman and smiled. He started when he remembered the chocolate from the store. “I’ll be back in just a second.”

 

Minyoung watched as her friend left the room and quickly returned, hiding something behind his back. She watched bemused as Jaejoong took her glass and set it on a nearby table.

 

“Close your eyes and hold out your hands,” Jaejoong ordered.

 

“It’s not a frog again, is it?” Minyoung asked, cheekily. Jaejoong narrowed his eyes, making Minyoung laugh. With a grin, she closed her own eyes and held out her hands.

 

“Open them,” Jaejoong said after laying something in Minyoung’s outstretched hands.

 

Minyoung gasped when she looked down at the object. “You remembered?” she asked, staring at the chocolate. She ran her thumbs over it and tried to fight back tears.

 

“Of course. You used to get two of these every year and tape one to whatever gift you got me. How could I forget?” Jaejoong answered, quietly. When Minyoung looked up at him, he grinned at the smile on her face.

 

“Thank you, Jaejoong,” she said softly. Minyoung reached up and wrapped her arms around him. Jaejoong hugged her back tightly.

 

“What the…” he muttered when he felt something brush the top of his head. Jaejoong pulled away and looked towards the ceiling. “Yoochun…” he muttered.

 

“What is it?” Minyoung asked, following his gaze. When she saw the mistletoe hanging above them, she scoffed. “You have got to be kidding me.”

 

Jaejoong shook his head, “Yoochun must’ve put it there when no one was looking sometime after you got here.”

 

“Actually, I think it was Junsu-ssi,” Minyoung said. “I remember he was in here alone for about five minutes while Yoochun-ssi and I helped you set the table.”

 

Jaejoong shook his head at his bandmate’s antics. He stared up at the plant in silence.

 

“We don’t have to kiss, you know,” Minyoung suggested, taking his silence for discomfort. “It’s not like anybody’s watch--”

 

Minyoung was cut off by Jaejoong reaching out and pulling her against him. She gasped when he leaned down to place his lips against hers. Without a second thought, Minyoung reached up to wrap her arms around Jaejoong’s neck and returned the kiss. After a few seconds, they pulled apart. Jaejoong’s heart melted at the laughter and joy in Minyoung’s eyes.

 

“I meant it you know,” Jaejoong whispered. “When I said I liked you...I meant it.”

 

Minyoung nodded, “I believe you. In fact, I did then. I just didn’t want to.”

 

“Why?” Jaejoong asked.


“Because I was afraid. Part of me thought you were just saying it to make me stop crying and to fix our fight. The other part of me believed you. I really liked you, and would’ve given anything for you to like me back,” the young woman answered. She giggled when Jaejoong’s eyebrows shot up.

 

“Why didn’t you ever tell me?” Jaejoong laughed. Minyoung mimicked his earlier shrug. Her answer was cut off by a yell.

 

“See, hyung?! I told you it would work!” Junsu hollered. A second later, his laughter filled the apartment, followed by Yoochun’s yells.

 

“He has a weird laugh,” Minyoung commented, staring in the direction of the laughter.

 

Jaejoong began shaking with his own laughter. “Try living with it for ten years,” he replied before leaning down and kissing Minyoung again.

 

Minyoung pulled away, giggling like a schoolgirl. “But, Jae, I didn’t get you a Christmas present. You gave me the chocolate, but I don’t have anything for you.”

 

Jaejoong shrugged. He was silent in thought for a moment. “You said you moved to Seoul last week, right? Where to?”

 

“About that…” Minyoung pulled away. She rubbed the back of her neck. “I’m staying in a hotel. I haven’t found an apartment yet. I’ve been looking, but…” Minyoung continued rambling for a minute when Jaejoong spoke up, silencing her.

 

“Move in with me,” he said. Minyoung tripped over her words and stared at him.

 

“Come again?”

 

“Move in with me,” Jaejoong insisted. “It’ll be a lot easier than apartment hunting. Plus, if our parents found out I knew you were in Seoul and let you spend over a week living in some hotel, they’d all kill me.”

 

“They’d kill both of us if they knew we were living together,” Minyoung countered, knowing how traditional her own parents were.

 

“Not if we told them we were dating. Your parents love me, remember?” Jaejoong argued, with his own cheeky grin. Minyoung’s jaw dropped again.

 

“I...you...what?” Minyoung took a moment to put things together in her mind. “Oh...okay.”

 

“Okay? So we’re dating? We’re together now?” Jaejoong chuckled. Minyoung nodded in response. “And you’re moving in?”

 

Minyoung hesitated before answering. Jaejoong sighed and smiled at her, knowingly.

 

“It could be your Christmas present to me,” he offered.

 

Minyoung laughed and stepped into Jaejoong’s open arms. “Yeah, okay. I’ll move in. Merry Christmas, Jae.”

 

“Merry Christmas, Minyoung-ah,” Jaejoong replied, kissing her forehead.

 

“HYUNGSU-NIM!!” Yoochun and Junsu yelled from the doorway.

 

Minyoung pulled away from Jaejoong and whirled to stare at the two. “WHAT DID YOU JUST CALL ME?!” she cried before running after them.

 

Jaejoong chuckled and shook his head, staring after her. “Yeah...Merry Christmas…”