Holiday in the Sand (Super Junior)

12 Days of Kpop Christmas

Donghae straightened his red suit and black bow tie and frowned at the mirror. SMtown was performing in Hawaii over Christmas, causing him to miss spending the holiday with his girlfriend. Eunhyuk quickly entered the dressing room to see if Donghae was ready for their duet stage.

“What are you so upset over?” Eunhyuk asked, poking his friend in the side. “Missing Subin?”

Donghae nodded and swatted at Eunhyuk’s hand, “Yeah. I promised her we’d spend Christmas together for once and look where I’m at. There’s no way we’ll be able to. After we’re done here, we’re heading to L.A for New Year’s.” He leaned his head on the mirror. “She is going to be so mad at me.”

“No, she won’t,” Eunhyuk sighed, patting Donghae’s shoulder and dragging him out of the dressing room. “Subin’s an understanding person. She has to be to date an idol for two years. Now, come on, EXO is almost done and we’re up.”

Donghae nodded and followed Eunhyuk to the edge of the stage where they were given microphones. The pair high fived the members of EXO as the younger boys passed and ran onstage.

“Ah, ah, hana, dul, set! Welcome to the super show!” Donghae said into the microphone, getting into place. “Let’s go!! My name is Donghae! Let’s party tonight!!”

~ * ~

Donghae flopped onto one of the beds of the hotel room he shared with Eunhyuk. He sighed and shook out his wet hair as he grabbed his phone. Unlocking it and grinned at the background picture of his girlfriend, Donghae quickly dialed her number.

“Hello?” a woman’s voice answered.

“Subin-ah~” Donghae replied, a wide smile gracing his features.

“Oh! Donghae-oppa! What are you doing? Didn’t you have the concert tonight? You should be asleep,” Subin said.

“I know, I just wanted to talk to you before I went to bed,” Donghae sighed, rubbing his face. “I miss you. I’m sorry we aren’t able to spend Wednesday together like we promised.”

“I miss you, too, Hae. And don’t worry, it’s okay. I know you’re busy with work.”

Donghae frowned at the disappointed tone. He was about to say something when Subin spoke again.

“Look, Donghae, I was on my way out when you called so I have to go. I’m sorry. I’ll talk to you later. I miss you and love you!” Subin said, hurriedly, before hanging up.

“Bye…” Donghae muttered to the dial tone. He groaned and slammed his face into the pillow. “She’s totally upset with me.”

“I wouldn’t be so sure about that,” Eunhyuk called from the bathroom. “She loves you. So what was she up to??”

“I don’t know. She said she was leaving, but not where to,” Donghae replied, flipping over and staring at the ceiling. He heard Eunhyuk chuckling in the bathroom and sat up. “What’s so funny?” Donghae called.

“Nothing, nothing,” Eunhyuk replied. He walked out of the bathroom and gave Donghae a knowing grin. “Nothing at all.”

~ * ~

Subin exited the taxi and retrieved her bags from the trunk. She looked at the ticket in her hand. Eunhyuk and the other Super Junior members had all chipped in to fly her from Seoul to Hawaii as a Christmas present for Donghae. Her ticket was set at a time so that she’d be there for Christmas Eve night.

“I hope I didn’t upset him…” Subin muttered, thinking back to her conversation with Donghae the day before. She sighed and headed into the airport, quickly finding her gate. Subin still couldn’t get over the fact that the members had found her a flight so late.

“Hawaii, here I come,” Subin giggled, handing the attendant her ticket and passport. She retrieved the passport and quickly got on the plane to find her seat.

While she still could, Subin texted Eunhyuk to let him know she was on her way.

~ * ~

Eunhyuk looked at his phone when it went off and grinned. He nudged Kyuhyun and showed the maknae the text from Subin. Kyuhyun then went off and told the others while Eunhyuk returned to his hotel room.

“Donghae~” Eunhyuk sang. He groaned when saw that Donghae was still in bed, sheets pulled up over his head. “Dude, get up. Get dressed.” We’ve got ten hours to blow…

Donghae gave Eunhyuk and muffled response and whined when Eunhyuk pulled the blankets away.

“Up, dressed, now. Don’t make me get Heechul-hyung,” Eunhyuk threatened.

Donghae glared at him and replied, “Yes, sir!” before getting up and getting dressed.

~ * ~

Nine and a half hours, eight stores, and two arguments between Sungmin and Heechul over a pink hat later, Donghae was changed into a wifebeater and shorts and was lounging on the couch in Kangin’s room.

“Have you talked to Subin today?” the older man asked.

“No,” Donghae sighed. “She hasn’t been answering her phone.”

Donghae missed the knowing grin his bandmates all shared.

“Hyung, have you checked out the beach behind the hotel?” Kyuhyun asked. “It’s really nice at night.”

“Yeah, why don’t you head out there now? We’ll be there in a few minutes with snacks and fireworks and drinks and stuff,” Sungmin suggested.

Donghae narrowed his eyes at his friends. “Why me alone?”

“Just go,” Heechul said, pointing at the door.

Donghae stood up, raising his hands and left the room. A huge sigh of relief filled the room when the door closed. Sungmin turned to Eunhyuk, who was staring at his phone.

“Has Subin’s flight landed yet?” Sungmin asked.

“It’s about to if this app is right,” Eunhyuk replied. He got up and pulled his jacket and shoes on. “I’ll head to the airport now. Anyone want to tag along?”

“I do!” Kyuhyun and Ryeowook chorused.

~ * ~

Donghae looked at his phone for the fifth time. Where are they?! It’s been twenty minutes and I’m cold, he thought, pouting. “It’s almost midnight...I miss Subin…” he then muttered out loud. Donghae started when a pair of warm arms wrapped around his waist.

“The feelings mutual,” a voice giggled.

Donghae whirled around, breaking the grasp, and stared at the girl standing behind him.

“Subin-ah!” Donghae cried, pulling his girlfriend into a tight hug. “What are you doing here?”

Subin giggled again as she tried to pull away. “I’ve come to celebrate Christmas with you! Like we promised, remember?”

Donghae let go and held Subin at arm’s length. “But how…?”

“YOU’RE WELCOME!” the couple heard Heechul call. They looked up towards the hotel to see all of SMtown standing at the edge of the beach.

“There you go,” Subin answered. “The guys pitched in and bought me a ticket. Merry Christmas, Hae!”

Donghae cupped Subin’s face and leaned down to kiss her, ignoring the whoops from their friends. The couple pulled apart and looked up when they heard fireworks pop in the sky above. Not thirty seconds later, they were surrounded by all of Donghae’s labelmates.

“Who’d have thought we’d been spending Christmas on the beach?” Donghae whispered to Subin as he hugged her from behind.

Subin shrugged and leaned up to kiss Donghae’s jaw. “Certainly not me. But, hey, after all the snow in Seoul I could definitely use a holiday in the sand.”

Donghae laughed loudly and turned Subin around so he could kiss her full on the lips. “Merry Christmas, Subin-ah.”