Chapter 2: Encounters

Hunt for Gold

Jungkook’s mind is waking up and he slowly opens his eyes. Blinded by the light, he closes them again. It shouldn’t be this light… it’s probably night time right now. he touches his head with the back of his hand.

‘Does it hurt a lot?’

Jungkook jumps up, realizing that he has been lying on a bed, he’s in a white and light room but the window his gaze passes tells him he was right about it still being evening or night, one of the two.

‘I guess not.’ His gaze ends up resting on the young man talking to him. ‘It does hurt.’ He says. ‘Where am I? Who are you?’

‘You know that asking those questions is kind of offensive right?’ The other says. Looking closer Jungkook suddenly recognizes him. Lee Sungyeol?! Queen Ellin’s left hand?

‘Come with me. Our queen wants to meet you.’

‘Why?’

‘You really don’t know?’ Jungkook swallows his nervousness away and shakes his head. ‘No. I know…’

‘Perfect! That’s one chore less for me. I don’t really like bringing depressing news.’ Sungyeol says, his eyes sparkling. He turns around and exits the door. Jungkook quickly follows him and goes behind him.

‘Are you going to kill me?’

‘Quiet.’

Jungkook doesn’t really know how to interpret this person. He seemed nice just a moment ago but now he acts strict and talks cold.

From the corner on the other side two people appear. Jungkook recognizes one of them. The one that hit him! He’s not sure which one of the two is older.

‘Is this him?’ The one Jungkook doesn’t know yet asks. He has black hair, it seems like he’s going to get a haircut soon because it’s obviously gotten longer. His eyes appear black.

‘YAH! Don’t check him out yet Baro.’

‘The two of you should talk less comfortable in the palace.’ The other says.

‘Don’t sweat it Rapmon.’ Baro says but the other doesn’t seem amused.

‘Alright. I’m sorry Rap… Namjoon.’ Sungyeol corrects himself. ‘By the way, why did you hit him so hard? He said his head hurts.’

‘How would I know he was that weak. I expected him to be a murderer but he’s really just a kid.’

Jungkook wants to protest but Baro is faster.

‘We don’t know about that yet. He could be tricking us.’

Jungkook rolls his eyes. Do I really look like a killer to you guys? I’m innocent!

‘See you around.’ Sungyeol says, grabbing Jungkook by the arm and dragging him away.

‘YA!’ Jungkook screams. ‘Don’t say ‘ya’ to a man like me and also don’t roll your eyes when being in front of the hunters. It will make me look bad.’

‘The hunters?’

‘Yes. The ones that eliminate all the threats to our country before people like you get to know they existed in the first place.’

‘They don’t look like they are capable of that.’ Jungkook says. Sungyeol smirks. ‘That’s what makes us scary.’ He says.

‘WHAT? You are one too?!’

‘Me, and also Howon. Or should I call him Hoya? You guys are close right?’ Jungkook’s eyes widen. ‘But… he has always been near. How could he have been killing unknown murderers if I saw him at school all the time?’

‘Do you think I’ll tell you?  I shouldn’t even say a word to you but that’s boring.’ Sungyeol admits. He stops in front of a big door and lets go of Jungkook’s arm. One of the men at the door goes in and then it’s fully opened for the two to enter.

Jungkook watches Sungyeol with big eyes. ‘Hurry up.’ The other hisses between his teeth and he pushes Jungkook inside, entering behind him and pushing him to the floor immediately. ‘Bow first, don’t look.’ He says, so softly only Jungkook can hear. He quickly obeys and gets on his knee facing the ground, knowing the person behind him is doing the same.

‘Welcome. Please let me greet you.’ Jungkook slowly puts his head up and his eyes meet with the person, far away from him on the other side of the room.

‘I’m honoured to meet you, your majesty.’ He’s surprised by his own voice coming out smoothly, without stuttering. Maybe it’s the aura the young woman gives off. She seems really friendly, smart and calm.

‘I’m glad you came.’ She says, as she gets up from her silver chair and walks closer. ‘Get up.’ She says. Jungkook does what she says. ‘You also get up.’ She says as her eyes wander off to Sungyeol. The other gets up and steps back, against the dark door. Because of his outfit and dark hair he’s almost invisible. If his complexion wasn’t white nobody would probably notice him standing there.

‘Come forward. Let me look at you.’ Ellin says. Jungkook takes a few steps towards her. Even though she’s pretty… no beautiful. He can’t probably focus on that right now as the thought of him probably getting killed soon enters his mind.

‘I’m sorry about your parents.’ Jungkook opens his mouth but the words won’t come out. ‘I know my words won’t bring them back but I want to apologize instead of my men. I should have controlled them. You can blame me all you want.’

‘I don’t want to. You’re my queen!’ Jungkook says.

Ellin smiles sadly and then takes his hands. ‘I’m grateful.’ She says. Jungkook looks her in the eyes as she holds his trembling hands. ‘Are… are you going to kill me?’

‘I am going to kill you.’ Jungkook’s eyes get bigger and he wants to pull away.

‘If.’ She says then, putting up a stern face. ‘If you are a threat to his country that is. I am not going to kill you to win a competition against my childhood friends.’

‘Then…’

‘Jeon Jeongguk. Are you a threat to this country?’

‘I am not! Well… I wasn’t. I really wasn’t! But now I probably am right?’

‘Don’t worry. I’ll keep you safe for now. Let’s try to find out why you are the chosen one for the competition.’ Jungkook sighs in relief and squeezes Ellin’s hands tightly. ‘Thank you for believing me.’ He says. Ellin smiles a bit uncomfortable and before Jungkook knows it he’s pulled back by Sungyeol. ‘Don’t touch your queen so casually.’ He warns. ‘If the queen trusts you I will too but that doesn’t mean I’ll let you do what you want.’

‘It’s alright Sungyeol. It just hurt a bit. He has strong hands for such a young boy.’

‘You are not that old either.’ Jungkook says, immediately getting his head locked between Sungyeol’s arms. ‘What did you say?’ Jungkook tries to free himself but Sungyeol is too strong. Ellin laughs. ‘Let him go. That’s right I’m still young and fresh.’ Ellin says. Sungyeol lets go but pushes hard so Jungkook falls on the ground, coughing like a fish on dry land.

‘You did that on purpose!’

‘Yes.’ Sungyeol says, his eyes sparkle once again and Jungkook he doesn’t look like a killer but like a choding, finding it amusing to tease his dongsaeng.

 

Then suddenly, there is a knock on the door.

Before Jungkook has the ability to get what’s going on he’s being pushed inside a room by Sungyeol. The door is open only a bit and the only thing he can see is the front door, where now a unfamiliar face is standing.

‘Why are you here?’ Sungyeol asks, now also in sight for Jungkook to see.

‘The prey is found right? I was send by my queen because queen Ellin broke the rules.’ The boy in the entrance says. Jungkook is a bit surprised. The boy has big eyes and a small face, maybe more pretty then handsome.

‘I didn’t break any rules. Why would Gunmi think that?’ Ellin says.

‘We received three hours ago that you, queen Ellin, have planned to protect the prey because he is your citizen and you think he may not be the prey.’

‘I know he’s the one that has to be killed for the competition. I am just not sure if he is a murderer.’

‘There is no rule that the prey has to be a murderer. Because you broke the rules, for wanting to keep him alive, I was sent here by my queen to get the boy.’

‘Lee Sungjong!’ Sungyeol warns him. ‘What? You didn’t catch him yet?’

‘Yes, we didn’t. Also, I don’t know where you heard that we were going to hide him but it’s not true.’

‘My queen believes it’s true so I also believe.’ Sungjong says.

Suddenly Jungkook and Sungjong’s eyes meet. Jungkook freezes immediately is he is watching straight into the other’s eyes.

Then Sungjong turns away to face Sungyeol again. ‘Then. I’ll wait.’ Sungjong says.  

‘You are not allowed to be here. I still have two hours so leave before I get you imprisoned.’ Ellin says.

‘I see. Then I’ll leave.’ Sungjong says before turning around and leaving the room. Sungyeol closes the door behind him and they wait in silence for a while.

‘Take Jeongguk to his room and warn the others. We will have a meeting. After that, try to find out how Gunmi found out about this.’

‘Yes my queen.’ Sungyeol says, bowing 90 degrees. ‘Come out.’ He says in a stern voice. Jungkook immediately opens the door and goes behind Sungyeol, bowing a few times for the queen before leaving the room.

 

~

Jungkook watches how Sungyeol  takes out a few blankets.

‘Hyung?’

‘What?’

‘You answered!’

‘What’s wrong.’

‘I know I shouldn’t be like this but please… help me. I want to live.’

‘I’ll try. You’re unlucky to be chosen kid.’

‘Does me being unlucky mean I’ll die?’

‘No… it means you need some luck.’ Sungyeol says, turning around. He puts his hand in the pocket of his jacket and when it comes out he’s holding a necklace with on it a four leaf clover in glass. ‘Don’t you think so?’ He asks as he approaches and puts the necklace in his right hand. ‘I don’t believe in this kind of stuff.’

Sungyeol pouts. ‘Are you calling your hyung immature right now? I won’t help you! Just die.’ He says. Jungkook jumps up and quickly puts on the necklace.

‘NO! HYUNG! I really like it. Thank you.’ Sungyeol smirks. ‘That’s what I thought. As you heard I’m going to gather some people and then I will convince them so don’t worry too much alright?’

‘Thank you hyung. By the way… about that guy just now…’ – ‘Ah! Lee Sungjong? Don’t worry about him.’ Jungkook nods. How could that guy call me a prey? I’m not even an animal…

‘Just get some rest. I’ll let them bring some medication for you headache so just relax.’

‘Thank you.’

‘Stop thanking me it’s annoying.’ Sungyeol says before leaving the room.

 

~

Sungjong lies in the grass in front of his tent. Watching the night sky.

Everything Jinyoung told me was right. That queen is really bad at lying!

The end of his lips curl into a modest smile.

Jeon Jeongguk,

Jungkook…

His eyes were very desperate.