Chapter 9: Regret and pain

Hunt for Gold

Jimin puts his horse on halt when he sees the huge university located just a few kilometres from the capital. They only have to go down the road.

 

After waiting for 30 minutes he’s bored and he decides to climb in one of the trees that are planted past the road, probably many years ago.

He can see Jungkook and V almost immediately. They aren’t very far from him. I’m  sure I can see Minwoo hyung from here. He things as his gaze wanders past the empty roads. Then reality hits him. Is he in trouble?

 

~

Hoya sits right next to Ellin’s bed on his chair. He’s been there for a while now, just reading a book that seemed interesting while scanning the library.

After finishing another chapter he puts the book down. His eyes wander towards his queen. He’s surprised to see Ellin’s eyes are opened.

‘My queen! Do you feel a bit better?’ He asks. There’s no answer. Ellin’s glass like eyes are pointed towards the ceiling. They don’t move.

Hoya quickly moves closer. ‘Please say something. Are you sleeping?’ I should get a doctor! Just when Hoya wants to jump op from the chair his arm is being grabbed by an ice cold hand.

‘Don’t go!’ When Hoya turns around Ellin is still looking at the ceiling but she is the one holding his arm. ‘Don’t Go. She will take you all.’ The last sentence leaves her lips as a desperate whisper. Hoya quickly grabs the hand holding his arms with his two hands.

‘We won’t go. If our queen doesn’t want to go, we won’t.’ Hoya says. He watches how a tear forms in Ellin’s left eye and streams down her cheek.

‘Lee Sungjong.’ Hoya holds her ice cold hand even tighter. ‘I couldn’t save him…’ Ellin says, choking on her tears.

‘The last time I saw him… I felt horrible. I killed him.’

‘You did not.’

‘I DID!’ Ellin screams. ‘I know you’re in a fragile state right now but please compose yourself. Sungjong isn’t dead.’

‘He’s not that little boy without parents that you protected anymore!’ Ellin screams. Hoya bites his lip. ‘Then what is he?’

Ellin’s full body trembles. ‘A monster.’ Hoya immediately lets go of her hands and walks away. ‘Howon, don’t go.’

‘Think before you talk. Shouldn’t that be the first thing a crown princess learns?’ Hoya’s trembling voice warns her before leaving the room.

 

~

Way laughs loudly. ‘You look so desperate Jin. You’re almost drooling!’ Jin’s big eyes scan Minwoo while he takes some shackles from his bag. ‘You’re coming with me.’ He says before smacking his lips.

‘The prey and his company will probably wait for him. We’ll just have to follow the road.’ Way explains.

Minwoo bites his lip. I have to escape quickly. If they come back we’re done for. I need to think of a plan quickly… If the other guys come here Jungkook will get caught.

Way has already started walking down the road and Jin is pulling on the chains to make him hurry.

Minwoo doesn’t hesitate and drops on the ground. He scrapes his fingernails past the rocks, causing them to bleed severely. ‘What the !’ Jin cusses. He turns around and Minwoo immediately makes his eyes big. ‘I’m sorry… I fell. You pulled really hard and I lost my balance.’ He explains innocently. Jin watches him suspiciously. Minwoo quickly gets up and spreads out his hand in front of Jin. ‘How long has it been since you had a meal?’ He asks. It’s hard to hide his satisfaction when he sees Jin wavering.

‘It’s been 29 days since I ate.. 16 since I drank something.’ Jin says. He slowly moves closer and takes Minwoo’s hand. ‘Want a sip then?’ Minwoo asks. Jin’s eyes turn darker. The young man’s eyes flutter closed and he reaches for the blood on Minwoo’s hand. Now. Minwoo immediately pushes his hands forward hitting Jin against the teeth with the shackles around his wrists. Before Jin is able to scream, Minwoo jumps on top of him, takes his gun and knocks him unconscious with the weapon. Then he runs forward.

He can already see the city from far away. He runs even quicker and when Way’s back is clear he puts the gun up and shoots.

Before he knows it Way has turned around and the bullet is burning in her hand. . I underestimated her. He thinks. Before he knows it Way is in front of him and her hot fist reaches for him. Minwoo quickly jumps to the right side. He immediately has to dodge another coming blow. ‘You little .’ Way says before trying to hit him again. Minwoo dodges punch after punch. He can feel his body reacting slower. It’s been way too long since I had a life to death fight. Minwoo thinks. Then he remembers the gun. He provokes her with a stupid dance. Making her so mad both fists aim for him. He takes the chance and shoots. Way’s eyes go big when her leg gives in to the bullet and she drops on the ground. She screams, from the pain. Minwoo immediately starts running, not looking back.

 

~

‘Hyung!’ V screams. He’s the first to see Minwoo coming. All three of them get up. ‘Why are you so late? We got worried!’ V runs towards him.

‘Where is your horse?’ Jimin asks. Minwoo smiles and shakes his head. V is just in time to catch him when he falls. ‘HYUNG!’ All three of them scream.

‘I thought I was going to die seriously.’ Minwoo says, his eyes focused on the dirt on his shoes. ‘What happened?’

‘We had two hunters on our back. We have to hurry. I feel like there will be more soon.’ Minwoo explains.

‘We’re almost at my aunt and uncle’s. Get on my horse hyung.’

‘Thanks V.’ Minwoo says as he gets on.

‘By the way hyung. Is there a hunter called Hoseok?’

‘Never heard of one. Why?’

‘No particular reason.’

 

~

‘Your majesty!’ The doors are thrown open. Gunmi watches Choa running towards her. ‘What’s wrong?’

‘Way got shot and Jin is unconscious!’ Choa explains. Gunmi gets up from her chair. ‘Where are they?’

‘In the special infirmary.’ With this information Gunmi immediately passes Choa and hurries towards the stairs that lead to the hall where the infirmary is connected to.

When she comes in everyone immediately bows. ‘Minseon. What happened?’ She asks, taking a seat on the chair next to Way’s bed. Way is lying down. The doctors are still operating on her leg.

‘I apologize, your majesty. I didn’t expect that boy to still be so strong.’

‘Who did this to you?’ Gunmi asks.

‘No Minwoo. He was a previous hunter from king Donghyun.’

‘Hmmm… I don’t remember him. Where were they going?’

‘They’re in the country. Maybe even close to this city, your majesty.’

‘Why would the prey go to the nest of the predator?’ Gunmi thinks out loud. Way doesn’t answer but closes her eyes when her leg receives the first stitch.

The door opens and Jin walks in. his body is white and his eyes look tired. Gunmi immediately gets up. ‘Seokjin. I feel terrible to see you like this after so long.’ Jin’s eyes lose all their force and he drops down on his knees.

‘I apologize for letting my desires get the better of me. I should’ve killed the prey but I didn’t even get close to that task. I will accept any punishment you find suitable for me, your majesty.’

‘Jin…’ Way whispers before letting out a surprised scream when the needle pierces her skin again.

Gunmi’s heels echo through the room as she comes closer. The skirt of her dress flows around her with every gracious step.

‘Kim Seokjin. Raise your head.’ Jin slowly raises his head.

Way shrinks when Gunmi’s and Jin’s skin touch. Jin drops on the ground. His whole cheek stings from the slap against it. From Way’s pained expression he’s sure there’s a big red hand mark on his cheek.

‘Get up.’ She orders. Jin does so but when he’s only one third there she pushes him down and places her heel on his chest, pressing down. Jin makes no sound. Gunmi’s leg moves up and now the heel is pressing on his adam apple.

‘Your mistake didn’t only ruin my chance to be the most powerful queen, it also caused an injury to Minseon. She doesn’t even remember the pain of being attacked anymore and now the stiches hurt. She never screamed like that in front of me because she never feels pain. I taught Minseon, you… the five of you. Didn’t I tell you pain doesn’t exist? That’s why you’re not saying anything right now is it?’ Jin’s eyes tremble as Gunmi forces her whole existence on him.

Then she releases him. Jin slowly gets to his knees. Gunmi puts one hand on his shoulder and uses the other to take his chin and pull his face up. Their eyes meet. Jin can feel his whole body relaxing as Gunmi pulls her arms around his neck. he puts his head against her stomach and hides his head between his slightly long hair. The tears flow down when Gunmi his back. His queen’s hands feel cold.  But incredibly safe.