Chapter 5: Worries for the future

Hunt for Gold

Sungyeol is almost at the end of the long road that takes people from Ellin’s, to Donghyun’s country (or the other way around). He checks his watch and sees it’s almost half past 12. He decides to call it a day and jumps of his horse. He takes the animal with him, leaving the road and entering the green grassland. Here and there are some trees.

Sungyeol shivers when he  passes a bush and is suddenly near a tent. Well… near… he’s probably 2,324201 miles away from it. Counting roughly. If there were more trees and bushes he wouldn’t have been able to spot the tent this easily. Sungyeol quickly dives in the long grass and starts crawling. He’s used to not making a lot of sound but in this kind of place he doesn’t really have much choice.

The owner of the tent is probably sleeping.  He thinks as he is now only 0.2 miles away from the tent.

It only is hearable for less than a second but Sungyeol is alarmed by the sound of a branch. The tree close to him sounds like it’s bending. It could be a bird of course but Sungyeol knows better. The heaviest bird in the world is around 19 kilo and doesn’t exist in this area. Definitely human. Sungyeol thinks before he quickly gets up and pulls his gun. Pointing at the exact spot where the sound came from.

‘I’m from the authorities. Show yourself!’ It takes a few seconds before the sound of squeeking branches and rusting leaves are heard and someone falls down from the tree, landing on both of his feet.

‘I’m an authority too you know.’ The young man says.

‘Hands up.’ Sungyeol says. The other does as told.

‘It’s been a while, Lee Sungyeol.’

‘You’re right. But if I got it right you did have some contact with one of us, didn’t you?’ Sungyeol asks coming closer, taking handcuffs out of his pocket with his free hand.

‘Who is it? Jung Jinyoung?’ Sungyeol asks as he watches the expressionless boy in front of him. ‘Answer me.’

‘I don’t betray a brother.’ Jinyoung says. Before Sungyeol is able to cuff his hands Jinyoung turns around and Sungyeol feels how his legs seem to disappear and he drops to the ground. He watches as Jinyoung gets on his knees and pulls the needles out of his legs.

! He paralyzed me! Sungyeol watches Jinyoung who just smirks and then also gives him shots in his arms.

‘You should obey me. You know it only takes me a bite in your finger to kill you.’

‘I know.’ Sungyeol says. Jinyoung smirks and leans in closer until his lips are almost touching Sungyeol’s ear.

‘Cocky hunters, like you. I eat them for breakfast. Raw.’ He whispers. Sungyeol shivers and Jinyoung chuckles shortly.

‘Scared already? Are you sure you don’t want to die? The pain will be gone quickly hyung.; 

‘Don’t call me that.’ Sungyeol hisses.

‘Sorry. It became a habit because of Sungjong. Are you still fighting?’ Jinyoung asks. His tongue twirls over his teeth. Colouring them blood red.

‘Shut up!’

‘Ahh~! So you still feel sorry for him?’ Jinyoung asks. His lips becoming blood red as he speaks. ‘For not taking his place? for becoming like me? You want to kill them right? For doing what they did to me to your friend.’

‘SHUT THE UP!’ Sungyeol screams. He pulls up his upper body and bumps his head hard against Jinyoung’s chin. The other curses and before Sungyeol knows it there’s a needle in his neck. He can feel his mind getting blurry as he falls back into the grass.

‘When? When will he die?’

‘We’ll talk about that when you wake up.’

 

Before Jungkook knows it Jimin has grabbed him by the wrist and pulls him away from the others.

‘Run.’ He hisses through his teeth, taking Jungkook and V with him.

Before the hunters disappear form their sight V’s eyes meet with the boy holding the two guns.

 

‘Fine. They got away.’ Dongwoo says, giving Jin a blaming look. Jin doesn’t react.

‘In the name of king Sungkyu, we will capture the prey so don’t get in the way.’ Sandeul says.

‘Those should be my words, for my almighty and handsome king that is.’ Dongwoo says with a smirk. Soyul giggles softly.

Dongwoo gets a shock when Jin charges forward and slaps him against the cheek. ‘There is no time to smile you idiot. I’m not going to fight the four of you. I have to find the prey.’ He says before disappearing as fast as he came.

 

‘Jin is right.’ J-Hope says. ‘What is your king planning to do with him?’

‘Nothing in particular. Our first priority is finding out the prey’s crimes.’ Soyul says.

‘I see.  How friendly…’ Sandeul whispers quietly. ‘Let’s go J-Hope. We have a task to fulfil.’

 

 

~

‘Why were you with that servant again?’ Gunmi asks.

‘He isn’t my servant.’ Sungkyu answers. They both sit in the grass in the backyard of the palace. ‘When we’re older, he’s going to be my boyfriend and later we’ll marry.’ Sungkyu says. Grinning proudly.

‘My father says men can’t marry. It’s against the law.’

‘I don’t care. When I become king I’m going to change the law so we can marry.’

‘Well when I asked my father about it he said it’s a rule that won’t change because men marrying is not normal.’

‘Are you going to keep listening to your dad all the time?’ Sungkyu asks, a bit pissed by Gunmi’s high attitude.

‘Then, are you going to keep it up with not listening to your nuna all the time?’ She attacks back. ‘I don’t know if you remember but my father won the game which makes him the king with the highest authority!’

‘WELL I THINK THAT…’- He stops screaming when he sees someone approaching.

‘Mom!’ Gunmi announces as she gets up and runs towards her mother. Sungkyu almost screams when the women hits her against the cheek.

‘What do you think you’re doing here? You have lessons!’ Gunmi’s mother says.

‘I’m sor…’ – She’s earns another slap against the cheek. ‘Don’t apologize.’ Tears form in Gunmi’s eyes as she looks at her mother. ‘I don’t even cry when your father beats me and you are crying over your own mistake? You’re not worth your title.’

‘I’m sor…’ Sungkyu jumps in front of Gunmi just in time before her mother hits her again. His and the woman’s eyes meet. Sungkyu feels horrible just seeing her, especially those cold and fierce eyes. Then she turns around and walks away.

Sungkyu also turns around, taking Gunmi’s shoulders with both of his hands. ‘Are you alright?’

‘Yes.’ Gunmi says. Her voice is strong but her expression shows everything. She’s hurt.

‘But you’re crying nuna.’

‘I’m not.’ She says as she pulls away from Sungkyu. ‘Go home.’ Gunmi turns around and walks away, not looking back. He hears how she softly talks to herself.

‘I won’t cry.’

‘Only weaklings cry.’

 

Sungkyu opens his eyes and realizes he’s lying in bed.

She was only ten years old at that time.

Sungkyu throws the blankets off him and gets up immediately.

It only takes a few minutes until he’s fully clothed and in his office.

 

This is a message to all of my men and citizens of this country:

No matter how much money it costs. No matter how much lives it costs. I, Kim Sunkyu, will be the winner of the game. If citizens have any information they must report immediately. It’s a request to all the people who serve this country. The one that kills the prey, in the past known as Jeon Jeongguk, will receive at least $24 million.

 

Please help me.

Please help the world.

 

He signs the letter he wrote on the digital screen and sends it. I have to become king. Ellin and Donghyun won’t change things. They just want to get this over with. Don’t worry Gunmi nuna. I will save you…

 

 

~

After running so much that they’re out of breath and they can’t run anymore, they hide in an alley.

‘I thought I was going to die.’ Jimin announces.

‘Me too hyung… me too.’ V says. Jungkook only nods. He can feel his heart beat in his throat. Just when he wants to say something they hear a familiar voice.

‘You guys are slow.’

! It’s that girl from just now! How can she be here already? Jungkook thinks, startled.

Then Jimin makes a slight geasture and they go further through the alley. Before they know it they are out and looking at the beach and behind it the sea. Behind them are luxurious apartments.

‘Where did you go~?’ They hear Soyul half singing, her voice getting louder. They decide to go to the right.

‘Where are you~’ Soyul’s spooky voice makes them even quieter as they pass the apartments. Then suddenly a door opened and they are pulled inside.

 

Before they know it they are standing in a huge hallway, facing a young man, looking almost the same age as Jungkook.

‘You could’ve gone with her…  Hyekyeong is not that scary.’ The boy says.

‘Thank you.’ V says, sighing in relief.

‘Who are you?’ Jimin asks, not as simple as V. Jungkook is also on his guard and secretly wonders why V doesn’t care about a stranger pulling them into his house.

‘I’m No Minwoo. Come in.’ Minwoo says, gesturing them to take off their shoes. They do as he says and follow him towards the living room.

V immediately drops down on the couch. ‘How comfy~!’ He says, stretching his arms and yawning. ‘You must be tired, being chased all over the place.’ Minwoo says, and he laughs out loud when V lets out a frustrated sigh. ‘It’s no joke hyung! Every muscle in my body is aching!’ He whines.

Jungkook watches Jimin who is staring ad Minwoo suspiciously.

‘Who are you?’ He asks again.

‘I think I already told you. I’m No Minwoo.’

‘You know that’s not what I mean. Why did you save us?’

‘No particular reason. You could just go with Soyul and speak to my king. I know him personally. If you didn’t do anything wrong he won’t kill you.’ Minwoo says as he takes a few soda cans towards the table.

‘How do you know?’ Jungkook asks.

‘First, sit down.’ Minwoo says. Jungkook doesn’t respond and he knows Jimin also won’t sit down. They flinch when V jumps up. ‘WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU GUYS DOING?!’ He screams. ‘HYUNG IS OFFERING HIS HELP AND DRINKS SO BE A POLITE DONGSAENG AND SIT DOWN!’ By the force of V’s voice the two of them immediately take their place.

‘Jeon Jeongguk, Park Jimin, no manners seriously…’ V mumbles to himself as he drops down on the couch again.

Minwoo smiles and gives the three of them a drink.  

‘I will explain to you. there used to be a battle between the older royals too right. Not only between the kings and queens that rule right now?’ The three of them nod.

‘Well, as you know now every king or queen has its own hunters. They are found by royal knights and then chosen by the parents of our king and queen. I was also one of the children that was trained to become the king’s hunter. But the king started favouring me a lot. We became friends and we couldn’t see each other as worker and employee only anymore. That’s why Donghyun… I mean my king, decided to not make me a hunter.

‘You are a hunter?’ V asks, surprised.

‘I’m not. But I’m just as skilled and strong. I know all of them too.’

‘Can’t you tell us about the hunters?’ Jungkook asks, now getting curious. Minwoo nods. ‘I can. But I don’t know all of them. Only king Donghyun’s.

‘Every bit of information will help.’ Jimin says.

‘Alright. You already met Dongwoo and Hyekyeong, you will probably get to know her as Soyul. Some of us hunters use different names, not all.’ He explains before going on. ‘The other three are L, Jeongmin and Suga. They are all very strong.’

‘Do you know them very well?’

‘I have to admit I don’t know Suga that well. He was assigned instead of me so I didn’t train with him for long but he was a very easy learner.’

‘Five of them… just like our queen.’

‘All of the rulers have 5 hunters. Too much would crush the built trust. But Jeongguk, what are you going to do?’

‘I’m going to my uncle and aunt. They live in Gunmi’s country. They will probably be able to help me.’

‘HYUNG!’ V shouts, jumping up. ‘Because you’re as strong as a hunter, why don’t you go with us? Even though Kookie has me and Jimin, we aren’t that strong and we can’t fight that well. You could go with us, teach us and help Kookie.’

‘YAH, why would he do that?’ Jimin asks.

‘It would be nice though…’ Jungkook admits. Normally, he would do things on his own but after losing his parents and home country he feels like any bit of help will save him from insanity, or worse death.

‘Are you sure? Do you guys trust me?’ Minwoo asks.

‘Of course!’ V says.

‘Not really…’ Jimin mumbles. Jungkook chuckles as he watches his hyungs. ‘Of course we trust you.’ He says. Minwoo bites his lip but then nods. ‘Alright. Sleep here tonight. We’ll leave tomorrow.’

~

Ellin watches Donghyun, Gunmi and Sungkyu trying to cheer her up when she cries but then when she closes and then opens her eyes it’s suddenly dark.

‘Donghyun oppa?’

‘Boram unni?’

‘Sungkyu oppa?’

There is nothing… no one. She can feel her body heat increasing and dropping every time she takes her breath.

‘Donghyun oppa?’ She asks once again. She crawls forward on her hand and feet and suddenly falls. She screams as the tears form in her eyes.

‘Sungkyu oppa?’ She asks, desperate. ‘Boram unni where are you? It hurts.’ She whispers, her body trembles. She tries to get up but she can’t.

‘OPPA!’

‘UNNI!’

She crawls through the dark. Her head is about to burst and is on fire. She desperately screams for help, not able to say proper words anymore. Then she hits her head against something.

A tear escapes her left eye as she loses consciousness.

 

What happened to us?

 

________________________________________________

I suddenly had a moment.... Latest update everrr~