Chapter 8: Determination

Hunt for Gold

V sighs. ‘We are really lucky with these hyungs.’ He announces. Jungkook nods.

Jimin is around 50 meters in front of them while Minwoo is riding the same distance behind them. Minwoo explained to the three of them the way they travelled till now had been careless and that they were lucky to not have been caught yet. Like that Minwoo proposed that two people should always be on a look out.

‘I’m still nog fully trusting him though.’

‘Why not? We are lucky he brought us to king Donghyun. You lost 5 of your murderers because of him!’

‘That only counts if I prove my innocence.’ Jungkook warns him.

‘What do you mean if? Are you telling me you are a murderer that should be killed?’ V asks, squeezing his eyes together and examining his dongsaeng. Jungkook rolls with his eyes. ‘Don’t joke about things like that. I think Minwoo hyung’s ideas are amazing and that he is very smart but I just feel like I shouldn’t trust people to easily.’ He admits. V looks at him for a while before turning his head towards the road in front of them again without saying a word.

 

~

When Sungjong opens his eyes he is immediately looking at small hands in front of him. The nails are painted a sky blue color. Sungjong immediately jumps out of bed.

‘Sungyeol hyung! It was you right?!’ He screams, already knowing the answer. He walks towards the window and opens it to let in some fresh air.

‘Ah Sungjongie~ You’re up?’ Howon walks into the room. ‘I’ve got breakfast ready.’

Suddenly, he gets hit against the back of his head. ‘YAH!’ He screams.

‘Don’t ‘yah’ me you little kid.’ When he turns around Sungyeol is leaning down through the open space of the window. He smirks and takes a sip of his coffee.

‘Shouldn’t you stop drinking coffee already? You’re only 11 years old.’ Howon complains.

‘Why?! My dad said men need coffee.’

‘You mean the dead guy?’

‘Shut the up!’ Sungyeol says, slapping against the back of Sungjong’s head again.

‘Don’t hit him Sungyeol and Sungjong, don’t say such hurtful words.’

‘Sorry hyung’ Sungjong says and he turns towards Sungyeol. ‘I’m sorry for saying that Sungyeol hyung.’ He says, lowering his gaze. But Sungyeol just laughs and pats him on the shoulder. ‘It’s alright Sungjongie. I’m also sorry so forget and forgive okay? By the way, I found a four leaf clover. Here, you can have it.’

 

Sungjong is immediately facing the sky when he opens his eyes. It’s blue and the sun is shining brightly. He stretches out his arms and looks at his hands. His nails are plain, even a little bit dirty.

‘What are you doing?’ Sungjong jumps up and sighs when he sees Jinyoung. ‘Nothing. I just did some thinking.’

‘It seems like seeing Sungyeol affected you.’

‘Of course not. By the way, I saw him before that already at the palace when I saw the prey.’

‘Is that when you started being absent minded like this?’

‘I don’t know what you’re talking about.’ Sungjong says. ‘Should we leave now?’

Jinyoung watches the other and then nods.

 

Just before they part ways Sungjong opens his mouth. ‘Hyung. You also let go of Gongchan as your spy because he’s a special person to you right?’

Jinyoung smiles and takes a few steps closer to him. He his white glove and Sungjong watches the blood stain that obviously shows on the bright glove. ‘Of course. Even though I create darkness like this… even monsters know family Sungjong.’ Jinyoung says. His voice is so silent he’s almost whispering. ‘He’s an important person. If his so called friends find out and want to harm him I will not spare their lives. They will find themselves suffering and dying by my hand.’

Sungjong swallows his saliva. ‘Is that how much you would do for him?’

‘That, and more.’

Sungjong has never seen the other this serious before. Even though he young man in front of him is frightening in daily life he’s definitely no joke right now.

‘Then we are different. I cut ties with those two. I would never betray me queen like that.’

Jinyoung’s eyes immediately turn lighter and when his lips part a loud, wicked laugh follows and stops as fast as it came. ‘You liar.’

 

~

Hoya opens the door towards the infirmary. In the room a few soldiers are being treated, not many. Hoya immediately walks towards the head doctor.

‘How is the queen?’ He asks .

‘Well, because she was poisoned we can’t really do much. I already made the antidote and gave it to her but it will take a while before she wakes up.’ The doctor explains. Hoya nods in understanding. ‘Do you know if the queen is feeling any pain or not?’

‘Yesterday she seemed restless but now she is calm. I think that her dreams are still at an extreme level though. It’s a poison that tends to make people have strange dreams or dreams about the past. She’s being guarded because there are people who show symptoms of sleep walking and then doing things against the law. There are also a few cases where poisoned patients committed suicide when no one looked out for them.’

‘I see. Then, I will put her in your care.’ Hoya says, making a small bow as he plans to leave.

‘Mister hunter.’ The doctor says to grab his attention again. ‘I would like to request you to be on guard. Something horrible could happen. You are a person that can be trusted to take care of the queen.’

‘I understand.’ Hoya says, smiling reassuringly. The doctor watches him through his round glasses with a serious expression. ‘Do you really?’

‘Don’t misunderstand sir. I am the queen Ellin’s right hand and I will see this request as a task made by my queen herself. Then, if you excuse me.’ He bows once again before leaving the room.

 

 

~

‘WHAT?! ‘ Jeongmin screams, in a high pitched scream.

‘As I said, our king is giving Jeon Jeongguk five days to prove his innocence.’ Soyul explains.

‘Yes! Our king that is loved by all has spoken his will. you’ll listen to him right?’ Dongwoo asks playfully.

‘Why was I so nervous?’

‘What are you talking about Yoongi hyung?’ Jeongmin asks.

‘Don’t!’ L warns but Suga immediately starts rapping:

 

"As time went by, we naturally developed into lovers
With those kinds of words, we checked each other’s feelings
Our first date was sweet like a caramel macchiato"

 

Dongwoo laughs loudly when he sees Soyul and L dropping their heads in defeat and Jeongmin immediately starts adding ad-libs.

‘I feel bad for our king.’ Dongwoo announces while laughing.

 

~

Minwoo watches the moon in the clear sky. He takes out his watch to check the time. 11 past 9. We should but up a tent and have dinner soon. He’s pulled out of his thoughts by a very unusual sound. He immediately makes his horse stop and gets off. He grabs one of the knives that’s inside his jacket. His eyes scan the area. The only things he sees are trees, bushes and darkness. He quickly takes out a gun and closes his eyes to focus. When hears the sound again he immediately turns his gun towards the bush it came from.

‘I know you’re there.’ When he hears nothing he takes out another gun. This one makes no sounds but sends a blue light, warning the others for the danger approaching. Then a person appears. There is no sound but his shadow is shown on the ground thanks to the bright light of the moon.

The others gun is pointed at him.

‘If you shoot, I shoot too and I will send a warning. Kim Seokjin right?’

‘You can also call him Jin.’ Minwoo is surprised by the voice and the lighting gun gets pulled out of his hands and he can feel another gun touching the back of his head.

‘If I were you, I would quickly drop that gun and put your hands up.’

‘Ahhh~ Minseon unni is scary.’ He whines cutely as he drops his gun and puts his hands up.

 ‘I didn’t expect to see you here. Aren’t you that son of a that saved yourself becoming a slave by doing dirty things?’

‘You took it the wrong way. We were just friends.’

‘Shut up you little ! You aren’t in a position to defend yourself right now. Even though Jin is never hungry, he smelled you and said he suddenly got the appetite.’

Minwoo’s eyes turn towards the fair skinned flower boy in front of him. ‘Well you are definitely thin.’ He admits. ‘But I taste like coward. Nothing special.’ Minwoo says, smiling cutely. Jin’s expression doesn’t change but he does drop his gun and walks closer.

‘You smell good though.’ He says as he comes closer. Minwoo flinches when the older boy’s lips touch his neck and part to allow his tongue to taste him. He clenches his teeth together tightly to stop himself from letting out a scream that will show his fear. The other moves down and pushes his cloth away to bite his collarbone.

‘Just my taste.’ He whispers. Minwoo wants to take a step back but he immediately notices the gun that was pressing against the back of his head from the beginning.

Way giggles. ‘Aigoo~ What to do honey?’