Chapter 3: Alleys disappear easier then enemies

Hunt for Gold

Ellin stands up from her place at the head of the table. Hoya is on her right with next to him Rap Monster and Sungyeol is on her left with next to him Baro and Gongchan.

‘I’m sorry for calling you all so sudden. I want to thank Howon and Chansik the most because they weren’t very close.’ Ellin says. Hoya smiles sadly and Gongchan’s eyes move downwards, not meeting his queen’s bright ones. Ellin ignores it. ‘As you know the reason why I called you here is because I need your advice. What am I going to do with Jeon Jeongguk?’ She asks, first looking at her right and left hand. Hoya can’t meet her eyes and Sungyeol shakes his head.

‘My queen, can I tell you my opinion?’ Rap Monster asks.

‘Tell me Namjoon.’

‘It’s not that I want this but I think it’s a proper thing to do. In my opinion you have to kill him.’

‘I also think Rap… Namjoon is right.’ Baro says.

‘I don’t agree my queen. Thanks to this game his life is ruined. Our men killed his parents and he’s casted out from society. We should compensate for his losses.’  Sungyeol says, facing the queen’s sparkling eyes with hope. Hoya nods.

‘My queen, Howon and Sungyeol are mixing in their personal affection for the boy right now so I would like you to listen to my explanation.’ Baro says, grabbing the attention of the others. When everyone seems to be focused on him he starts. ‘Because queen Gunmi found out, it’s obvious the other rulers also found out about us protecting Jeon Jeongguk. Their men will surely take revenge by not only coming to the castle to get the boy, they will also attack the villages and the citizens. The question we have here is if we will sacrifice a country for a boy that is, or is not innocent, or if we’ll kill him? My answer to that question can only be, sacrificing one person and not thousands of people.’ Baro says. Ellin is silent for a while. ‘You’re right.’ She admits. ‘That is the question…’

Hoya sighs and his eyes show a sign of despair as his meet Sungyeol but the other shakes his head shortly. Even though he promised Jungkook to help him, he can’t deny Baro’s words. He’s one of the highest in this country and he should separate his business.  ‘Then, let’s vote.’ He says turning towards Ellin. ‘The five of you will vote. I’m not in a right state to decide.’ Ellin says. Sungyeol is surprised. Ellin doesn’t normally show her weakness, not even to her five most loyal men. But he somehow understands. He also developed affection towards the young boy and feels weaker, knowing there is someone in the castle who betrayed them.

‘Please raise your hand if you think Jeon Jeongguk should be executed.’ Ellin says. Hoya and Sungyeol stay still. Ellin sighs as she stares at Baro, Gongchan and Rap Monster who have their hands up. ‘Then I will leave it to the three of you.’

‘When do you want us to do it, my queen?’ Gongchan asks.

‘My advantage will be over in 1 hour and ten minutes. Take care of it between 30 and 45 minutes from now. You are dismissed.’

They all get up and bow 90 degrees before leaving the room. The only one that doesn’t get up is Sungyeol. He waits to speak before the door is closed behind him and a few minutes pass.

‘My queen, can I propose something to you?’

‘What is it?’

‘I didn’t tell you because one of the five might be the betrayer but I have a plan, if you want to give Jungkook a chance to live that is.’

Ellin bites her lip. ‘We voted fairly. I don’t think I should change my decision now.’

‘You don’t have to my queen. Let me just tell you my plan and then you can decide. We will just act like our conversation didn’t happen in the future.’ Sungyeol says. Ellin closes her eyes but then wavers. ‘As I was asking, what is it?’

 

~

Jungkook opens his eyes in shock as he hears the door opening.

! I’m dead… should I act like I’m asleep? Should I just quickly get up and run away? I want to fall asleep! Can’t you kill me when I’m asleep?! He shuts his eyes tightly. He can’t hear the person nearing. He can only feel it, which makes the whole situation even scarier. Then a cold hand touches his shoulder. ‘Jungkook.’

‘HYUNG!’

‘Sssshh.’ Sungyeol hisses as Jungkook gets up quickly. Sungyeol does the same.

‘What is going to happen to me? Is the queen going to save me?’ He whispers in a hurry. He can only see Sungyeol’s sad eyes thanks to the candle the other is holding.

‘I’m sorry…’ Sungyeol whispers as he places the candle on the nightstand. Jungkook’s eyes widen. ‘What do you mean?’ The words from his mouth come out as a slight whisper. It’s too soft to hear for normal humans, only warriors who have been in front of people who almost got killed are probably able to hear that voice. ‘I couldn’t save you.’ Sungyeol whispers as Jungkook’s eyes switch towards the sword in his right hand.

‘No… Hyung…’ He whispers, taking a few steps back unintentionally.

‘This is a good beginning Jungkook. Seeing you moving away from me I think this is going to work out.’

‘What is?’ Jungkook asks, taking another step back when Sungyeol comes closer. ‘We have decided to kill you because otherwise others will be killed if we protect you. That’s why I’m going to get you away from this place. Try to live. Everyone except for your friends know you as Jeongguk so you can start a new life as Jungkook.’

‘What are you talking about? Are you going with me?’

‘No. I am only going to get you out of here.’ Sungyeol says, handing the sword to Jungkook and also giving him a bag. ‘Do you want to give it a try? Running away?’ Sungyeol asks, his eyes sparkling and a sly smile curling up. Jungkook looks down at the four leaf clover around his neck and then looks back at Sungyeol. ‘If you don’t want to they will be here in 10 minutes to end you.’ Sungyeol whispers. ‘I’ll go!’ Jungkook says, accidentally out loud. Sungyeol hits him against the shoulder and chuckles softly. ‘So you do want to live?’

Jungkook rubs his hurt shoulder with a pained expression but then nods and smirks. ‘I’m young, smart and handsome, what more reasons do I have to live?’

‘Right?’ Sungyeol asks, satisfied with the choding-like smirk on the other’s face.

 

~

Ellin watches as Jungkook and Sungyeol leave the gates on their horses. ‘I’m sorry I couldn’t say goodbye.’ She whispers.

She doesn’t notice the silhouette staring at her, hidden in the shadows formed by the light in the darkness of the night.

 

~

Sungyeol and Jungkook stop the horses in front of a big road. On the road in front of him there is room for not only people that walk or ride a horse. It’s also for modern vehicles like cars. ‘For now leave this country. Do you have anywhere to go?’

‘I’m thinking of going to my uncle and aunt. They are both professors. I want to learn from them and find out why I am the target of this game.’

‘What will you do when you find out what it is?’

‘I’ll prove everyone that I shouldn’t be killed. I will show the world and its people that they need me if I really have to.’

‘Alright.’ Sungyeol says, jumping of his horse. Jungkook does the same and is surprised when Sungyeol suddenly grabs his shoulders. ‘Look me in the eye and promise me something alright?’

‘What is it?’ Jungkook asks. It’s not that he didn’t know Sungyeol would just save him like that. Even though that would have been nice…

‘The next time you see me, run. Turn around and run as fast as you can. Don’t approach me. Don’t even hide got it?’ Sungyeol’s eyes only show seriousness, which Jungkook is not familiar with.

‘So, we can’t meet anymore?’

‘In less than an hour the game will start.’ Sungyeol says. ‘From now on, we are strangers, understand?’

‘Hyung…’

‘Jungkook. Listen to hyung properly.’ Sungyeol says, his voice trembling. Jungkook nods quickly and wets his dry lips with his tongue. The grip on his shoulders get even stronger. ‘You have never met me, the queen, nor the other five. The only thing you know is that we and the queen burnt your house, made everyone in the country your enemy and that we killed your parents.’Jungkook feels his thoughts growing colder but his heart remembers the warm eyes of the queen and Sungyeol’s friendly smirk. The serious eyes in front of him feel like a lie. But how can he say he won’t? Then all of Sungyeol’s effort will be for nothing. So, he nods once again.

‘Swear on your life.’

‘It’s not like I’ll live long.’

‘Don’t say that you bastard!’ Sungyeol hisses before smirking again and then letting go of him. He gets on his horse and then turns around.

‘Goodbye, Jungkook.’

‘Goodbye, Sungyeol hyung.’

 

~

Hoya closes the book on his desk when he read the same sentence for the fifteenth time. His eyes wander towards the wooden clock on the wall.

Only a few more minutes…

He jumps up from his chair when he hears a knock on the door. I’m really out of it. Normally I always hear who’s coming, now I didn’t even realize there’s someone coming to my room.

‘Who is it?’

‘Gong Chansik.’ The other says as he comes in.

‘You’re sure you’re not Gongchan right now?’ Hoya asks as he falls back into his chair.

‘Do you see blood on my hands then?’ Gongchan asks as he smiles and puts his milk white hands up to inspect them.

‘Don’t joke around with me.’

‘Don’t worry hyung. You’re not going to regret this.’

‘What?’

‘He ran away.’

‘WHAT?!’ Hoya screams as he jumps up from his chair. ‘Really?!’

‘Yeah. Do you know what that means?’

Hoya blinks a few times and then sighs. ‘Yes… I know. The game is starting soon.’

 

~

‘Only a few minutes left.’ Gunmi announces as she watches the clock.

‘Your majesty. Jinyoung said he left the country.’ The young women in front of her say.

‘I see. Choa, tell Sungjong the news. He can go first. Way, you should get the others.’

‘Is there any special message we should give?’ Choa asks.

‘Yes.’ Gunmi says as she shifts in her golden throne from excitement. ‘Find him. Kill him and don’t forget to bring the evidence.’

 

~

‘Is there any news from Ellin?’ Donghyun asks.

‘We haven’t heard anything from her my king.’

‘Then the game will continue as planned.’

‘What are your orders sir?

‘Don’t make it big. You can just go with the other five. Don’t kill him yet. I want to find out why that boy is chosen for this game.’

‘Yes, your majesty.’  

‘Why are you always addressing me in different ways?’ Donghyun aks. Dongwoo’s cheeks turn red and he smiles innocently. ‘I didn’t notice I did.... Then, I’ll take my leave now.’ Dongwoo says and he bows before he’s able to disappear quickly he’s stopped. ‘Wait!’

Dongwoo quickly turns around again? ‘Yes, almighty?’

Donghyun rolls his eyes but decides that he doesn’t have time to complain. ‘I know you guys are reckless so beware of my warning. If you kill him the same fate will be awaiting you.’

‘Of course. I will tell them sir. If you kill him you’ll get tortured even more horrible then in hell and you and all the people you love and care for will slowly and painfully be killed. Really? Yes, really. Then.’ Dongwoo says, smiling and bowing once again before leaving the room.

‘That’s not what I said.’ Donghyun gets up surprised but Dongwoo has already left. ‘ARGH THIS GUY!’ Donghyun screams annoyed.

 

It’s not like they know love or care…

 

~

‘I regret giving Minyoung 8 hours. I’m bored to death.’ Sungkyu complains, half lying on his throne. Woohyun watches him from a distance.

‘What are your orders for the game, your majesty?’

‘Just catch that boy and bring him to me. I will kill him with my own bare hands if that is what it takes to win this game.’

‘Why do you want to win so badly?’ Woohyun asks, a bit curious. Sungkyu blinks with his eyes and sits up straight in his bronze, huge chair. ‘I wonder about that myself too Woohyun. Maybe it’s the fun that comes with winning, or ordering my childhood friends from now on? It will probably feel so good to be more powerful than Donghyun and Boram!’ Sungkyu says while smirking. ‘Especially Boram… that little wench…’

Woohyun sees his friend king wandering of too memoryland again. ‘Then, should I call the others.’

Sungkyu is able to shake of the memories and nods. ‘Yes please!’ He says, smiling towards Woohyun. ‘Quickly bring him to me before I die from boredom.’

‘As you wish your majesty.’ Woohyun says bowing before leaving the throne room.

Sungkyu sighs and slides back down into a comfortable position.

‘Finally… the game starts.’

 

~

Jungkook can hear the clock of the church striking behind him. The eight hours are over. From now on he’s not human anymore. As Sungjong said earlier, he’s a prey. He’s the prey of the 25 best royal killers in the world.

He swallows the fear away and nods quietly.

‘Relax Jungkook… you’re going to be fine…’ He whispers to himself. The horse has notices his nervousness and he pets the animal on his neck to calm him. The horse seems a bit more at ease but still alarmed. Jungkook decides to ignore it. ‘We’re going now.’ He whispers but then a hand places on his shoulder.

‘Not so fast.’

‘You’re not leaving without us are you?’