Chapter 1: The fate of a unlucky person

Hunt for Gold

‘I’m leaving mom.’ Jungkook says. He hugs his mother before leaving the house. ‘Have fun at school sweetheart.'

 

Jungkook lives in a farm, not far away from a village where his school is centered.

The country he lives in is mostly countryside with some small villages. Only a few weeks ago, the rulers of the continent changed and now he and the people of his country are serving under the youngest queen, Ellin.

 

When he enters the village he immediately bumps into someone.

‘Look out, Kookie.’

Jungkook quickly steps back and bows when he realizes who he bumped against. ‘I’m sorry Hoya sunbaenim!’

‘It’s alright.’ Hoya says. Jungkook watches the tall man in front of him. Hoya was one of his teachers for a while but is now the right hand of queen Ellin and known as the best fighter in the country.

‘When will you teach me again?’

‘I’m not sure. The battle of the rulers will start again so I have to keep my men busy.’ Hoya explains. Jungkook pouts. ‘But I want to learn how to fight.’

Hoya shakes his head and points towards his sword. ‘I really hate using that thing. Killing people shouldn’t be everyday business, especially not for young and smart boys like you.’

‘Well I think joining the army is very brave.’

‘YAH Jeon Jeongguk! You’re smart, you can become a lawyer if you want to. Don’t go getting yourself killed in the army when you could bring benefits to our country.’

‘Tsch. It’s not like there are any universities here. I  would only benefit queen Gunmi then.’ He sneers towards the other. Hoya raises an eyebrow and then turns away. ‘You’re distracting me from my job.’ He says, laughing.

‘WAIT!’ Jungkook screams. Hoya waves before disappearing into the crowd towards the Wednesday market.

 

Jungkook shivers hen an arm is put over his shoulder and someone whispers in his ear. ‘Drop dead.’

He turns around slowly but is greeted by a friendly smile. ‘Were you scared?’ Jimin asks as he lets go of the other. ‘Yes. Very.’ Jungkook admits.

‘You idiots.’ V says as he watches the two. ‘Let’s go before we get punished for being late.’

 

~

‘So, as my father won 30 years ago I guess you’ll be nervous.’ Gunmi says as she straightens her light blue dress.

Donghyun shakes his head. ‘Not really. I’m confident.’

‘Me too.’ Sungkyu announces as he takes place on his chair.

Ellin takes a close look at the three. ‘We know each other since we were kids so this game will probably involve mostly pride right?’

‘It’s true that I don’t want to serve any of you. especially because I’m the oldest.’ Gunmi admits.

Sungkyu and Ellin sit down on their chairs too.

‘So, who will be the one to kill? My best men are waiting.’ Sunggyu whispers with a sly smile.

 

The four of them gasp when a young face appears on the screen before them.

‘Isn’t this too easy?’ Gunmi says, surprised.

‘I don’t like it.’ Ellin says.

‘Because he’s from your country?’ Donghyun asks

‘That too. But he’s just a kid! Last time it was one of the worst serial killers in the country but this is just an innocent boy.’

‘I won’t show mercy. If that boy dying means you three being my puppets I will kill him.’ Gunmi says. Donghyun and Sungkyu watch her shortly with an annoyed smile.

‘Then, let’s do it like this.’ Sungkyu says, getting the other’s attention immediately. ‘Because Ellin is the youngest we’ll give her an advantage of 8 hours before entering her country to kill him. But, if he doesn’t get killed in those hours we will start our hunt. If he flees the country it’s obvious that we can go after him because he’s in our country without permission.’

‘8 hours is a lot.’ Donghyun says, doubting.

‘My country isn’t that small!’ Ellin defends.

‘I don’t care.’ Gunmi says. ‘If Ellin finds the courage to kill him she has all the right to win this game. If she can’t, I will.’

Donghyun grimaces and then looks at Sungkyu who just watches him without blinking. Donghyun sighs. ‘Ok then. Ellin will have an 8 hour advantage.’

‘Thank you.’ Ellin says, smiling softly.

‘Don’t thank us yet.’ Gunmi warns.

 

~

‘Is this really needed my queen?’ Sungyeol asks as he takes a sip of his coffee. Ellin closes her eyes. ‘I mean, isn’t he too young my queen?’

‘I know so be quiet.’ Sungyeol pouts. ‘Some of the men have already gone to capture him. Why can’t I go my queen?’

‘THEY DID WHAT?!’ Ellin jumps op from her silver chair. ‘Why?’

‘Because they want you to win of course, my queen.’ Sungyeol says.

‘Please stop saying ‘my queen’ it annoys me.’

‘I’m sorry but I have to oblige the rules my queen.’ Sungyeol says, his playful eyes sparkling as he tries not to laugh.

‘Send Hoya a message. He has to tell the ones that have gone already to not harm him.’ Sungyeol raises an eyebrow.

‘I want to speak to him, and he has to be alive for that. I want to know if Jeon Jeongguk is chosen for a reason.’

‘I will send a message right away my queen.’

‘Also, call the others and tell Hoya to come after he’s done.’

‘Yes my queen.’ Sungyeol makes a 90 degrees bow and then turns around on his heels. The big door softly closes behind him as he leaves.

Ellin sighs and falls back into her chair.

 

~

Jungkook is going back home. After school he also has the art club everyday which results in him always coming home when the darkness swallows the extinct farmland. It’s winter so most people are focusing on the animals instead of the land.

 

When he’s almost close to his house he’s surprised by the orange sky behind his house. It’s almost like the sky is on fire. He quickens his steps and his eyes widen. It’s not the sky that’s on fire. It’s a house.

 

His house.

 

Before he’s able to cross the last street to go to the burning house he’s grabbed harshly by his arm and gets pulled away from the fire.

‘Are you crazy?!’ V asks worried.

‘What happened?’ Jungkook asks as he watches his hyung. Tears form in V’s eyes as he grabs Jungkook’s shoulders. ‘The guards… they came and they… your parents’ – ‘Mom and dad? Where are they?’

V hesitates briefly. ‘The guards killed them.’

Jungkook’s eyes widen as V pulls him closer to hug him. ‘I’m so sorry. My mother saw it so I waited for you.’

Jungkook pushes the other off him. ‘Liar. We have debt that’s why the guards but our house on fire. My parents probably knew and fled.’ He says, though he’s not sure if he’s convincing himself or the crying V in front of him.

‘Kookie.’ V says, his eyes pleading as he grabs Jungkook’s hands but the younger pulls away. ‘I’m going to look for them.’ He says as he turns around and starts walking.

I have to find them.

They probably went to the neighbors or something.

 

‘STOP YOU IDIOT!’ V screams.

 

Mom?

 

‘HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND?!’

 

Dad?

 

Then he is grabbed by his arm again. ‘I’m not lying. They are really gone.’ V whispers behind him. ‘Come to my house and talk to my mother first ok?’

Jungkook doesn’t resist anymore and lets himself get dragged by his hyung towards their house, onl a few meters away. The heat from the fire slowly disappears as he’s getting farther away from his house.

 

Or the remainings of it.

V knocks on the door. When it’s opened he gets pulled in immediately by his mother and the door closes. Jungkook is a bit surprised to be in front of a closed door so suddenly. But he decides to wait when he hears V’s parents talk.

It takes a few minutes before the door is opened again and V’s father is in front of him. ‘I’m sorry son. Your parents had to die like that.’

‘I don’t get it. Hoya sunbaenim would never do this to me…’

‘It wasn’t him. It were those guys who just wanted to have fame and wealth.’

‘Why would they get fame from killing my parents?’ Jungkook asks, his hands shaking.

‘Haven’t you heard? About the game?’

‘I know it has started. Why?’

‘Son…’ The man whispers. He quickly turns around and comes back with a bag and coat. ‘Get away from here as fast as you can. In here is money and food. I’m sorry I can’t do more for you.’

‘What do you mean?’ Jungkook asks, confused as the takes the bag. The door opens a bit more and he can see V being held by his mother tightly.

‘You are the chosen one. You are the person they will hunt down.’ V’s eyes widen from his father’s words and before Jungkook can say another thing the door is thrown shut.

 

~

What just happened? Is the only thing Jungkook can think as he walks back towards his house. As he comes closer the smell of burnt wood and grass enters his nosetrils and the smoke pushes itself through his throat towards his lungs. Jungkook coughs as he nears the place where his house was standing the same morning.

Mom and dad aren’t here anymore. Is this because of our debt or am I really… before he can think longer he bumps up to someone. When he steps back he sees a young man with short black hair and small eyes.

‘What?’

The other smiles sweet and before Jungkook knows it he’s hit in the stomach and against his head. The last thing he feels is his body hitting the hard ground before falling into a deep sleep.