VII - Heechul's big break

Kings of Anything

Title: Kings of Anything
Genre: Comedy (?), Fluff, Romance, Drama
Character/s: Super Junior x OC
No. of Chapters: 7/?

 

(Chapter focus: Heechul, Hangeng and Zhoumi)

VII 

Heechul’s big break

 

September 18, 20xx, Wednesday

HEECHUL

 

 

“Good morning.” I said in a bored tone as I heard the bells on the front door ring. I didn’t bother to look at who the customer is, since he/she is only interested on the clothes that I make, not me.

Days passed by like this, with me seated behind my desk, busy doing different sketches of clothes when I feel like it, or just drawing some things like Zzinppang, the character that I created when I was still in high school. Doing the thing that you love the most is the best feeling in the world, but not earning enough money to support my daily expenses while doing the thing that you love isn’t really the best feeling in the world.

I must admit the fact that I love to draw and make clothes— that’s something that I can never deny, but I must admit the fact that making clothes as a business isn’t really effective. Not many people appreciate the ‘Kim Heechul’ style of clothing, which means, not many people are as awesome as me. Up until now, I am still waiting for that big break that I have been dreaming off ever since I graduated college.

“Hey.” I didn’t bother to look up since I can sense that it isn’t something important, so I continued to draw the details of the dress that I am drawing on my sketchbook.

The girl knocked on my desk thrice, and snapped twice. “Hey. Don’t ignore me.”

Irritated, I looked up, only to see the beautiful girl standing in front on my desk, smiling at me. She’s pretty, but I’m not really a fan of beautiful girls. I raised an eyebrow as I looked at her. “What?”

She chuckled and tilted her head to the side as she looked at me. “Don’t you remember me?” I looked at her with a blank expression on her face, making her feel like I am not really interested. She chuckled, leaned closer to me and cleared . “So, we meet again.”

Ah. I remember her. She was the girl who asked Siwon out the other day. “Yeah. You’re the girl from last Saturday. Siwon’s girl.”

She smiled as she offered her hand. “Yes, that’s me. I’m Phoebe, by the way. And you are?”

“I’m Heechul.” I gave her a small smile as I shook her hand. “It’s nice to meet you.”

“It’s really nice to meet you, too. Also, the clothes that you sell in here are pretty and unique. I like them.”

“Thank you.” I gave her a small smile as I nodded. “Feel free to look around.”

Phoebe smiled at me and nodded.

I plugged my earphones and played some music as I continued to sketch. I was getting into my own world once again, not caring about anything that’s happening around me. Drawing and making clothes is my passion— it is something that I would do even if I won’t get paid for it, but at least, I want to earn a living, even just a small amount of money from this passion. I can’t use the clothes that I make to pay for my daily expenses; moreover, I can’t eat the clothes that I make. I am still sane to not think about crazy things like that that only psychopaths will do. I want to live longer and not die young because of hunger or anything that is caused by lack of money.

Phoebe tapped my desk, and smiled when I looked up at her. “I’m buying all of these.” She placed ten or more pieces of clothing on my desk, where the cashier is as well, one by one. My eyes followed every piece of clothing that she placed on my desk. It is the first time in the history of KHC apparel to have a customer who bought clothes as many as Phoebe did.

My eyes widened even more when I saw the mountain of clothes on my desk. I really am thankful that Siwon met this girl. I looked at her and blinked. “Are you for real?”

Phoebe chuckled as she looked at me. “Do I look like I’m kidding?” I shook my head and she took out her long, red and shiny wallet from her bag.  “The clothes you make are amazing— definitely my style. And you’re Siwon’s friend. I want to be friends with you as well.”

I started folding the clothes after punching in the prices and placed them inside a paper bag one after the other. “So I can sense that you like Siwon, huh?”

“Mm. I like him.” Phoebe chuckled. “Is it that obvious?”

“With the way you’re acting right now, yes.” I gave her a smile as I nodded. I may be an ill-tempered diva but I can be a little friendly with people that don’t irritate me, and she’s obviously one of those few people. I can feel that she’s going to be a good friend of mine. “It’s a total of PHP11, 184.50.”

She handed me twelve one thousand peso bills, and smiled. “Anyways, I know a friend who works in a television station, and they’re looking for someone who can make some clothes for a movie that they’re working on. Are you interested?”

I smirked. It is my chance of finally getting recognized in my field of expertise. “Sure thing.”

When an opportunity knocks, grab it and don’t let it go.

 

 

September 20, 20xx, Friday

 

“Heechul, I’d like you to meet Annabeth. Annabeth, this is Heechul.” Phoebe smiled as she introduced me to the familiar figure who is standing right across me from the table with an eyebrow raised and a really weird smile that looked like a grin.. or not. “He’s the one that I was talking about the other night.”

After our meeting in the shop, Phoebe asked me if it was okay to meet on Friday, about the thing that she was talking about. It turns out that her friend, who happened to be Annabeth, the girl that Sungmin and I almost ran into when we went to Divisoria, works in the TV station that Phoebe was talking about the other day.

I stared at Annabeth and smirked. “It’s nice to see you again, Annabeth.”

 “It’s nice to see you, too, Heechul.” Annabeth smiled sarcastically and sat down beside Phoebe. She scoffed as she got some things in her bag.

“Ugh.. do you guys know each other? I feel like I’m missing something.” Phoebe raised an eyebrow as she looked at the two of us. Tension can be felt in the atmosphere because of the weird second meeting of Annabeth and I.

“I almost got hit by his car.” Annabeth stated as she fished out some envelopes from her big black bag.

“I didn’t!” I  scoffed and took a sip of my iced tea.

“I said almost, Heechul. And I never said that it was you who was driving it.”

“Time out, okay?” Phoebe stared at the two of us. “Enough with the bickering. We’re here for business, okay?”

“Sure.” I rolled my eyes as I stirred my iced tea with the straw. I’m not the one who started it.

“Did you bring your portfolio?”

I opened my duffel bag and took out my black journal. It was where I write my different thoughts every day, but only when I feel like doing so. My journal is filled mostly with doodles and random drawings of clothes.

I handed it to Phoebe and she started to flip through the pages. While she was busy with my journal, I munched on the plate of blueberry muffins, I think, since there are blue toppings on top. I should say that it tasted good, I’ll make sure to drop by next time.

“This is nice, Annabeth. I told you that he’s good. He’s really good.” Phoebe smiled as she continued to scan through the pages. From the corner of my eye, I saw Annabeth nod and focus her eyes on the photographs clipped on some of the pages of the journal. I can feel that she really liked what she saw, since I myself know that my works are unique and stylish in my own way, unlike the clothes sold in the mainstream market nowadays.

I looked up and glanced at Phoebe. “Oh,” I pointed at the top that she is wearing. “You’re wearing the top that you bought the other day?”

Phoebe nodded with a smile. “Of course. I liked it so much. I love the small details in here—” she pointed at the small stitches on the chest area “—are these hand-stitched?” I nodded.

Annabeth cleared as she closed my journal, making Phoebe and I look at her. “With what I saw, I think you’re the one that my team is looking for, you are fit for the job, and I am 100% sure that our wardrobe staffs are going to be extremely happy when they see these, but I still need to coordinate with my boss about it. Can I borrow your journal for a day? I’ll ret—”

“No.” I said with a straight face as I looked at her straight in the eyes. “That’s my journal. You can’t borrow it.”

“I’m just going to borrow it for today, since I need to sh—”

“I said, no.” I raised an eyebrow as I looked at her. Never in my twenty-six years of existence did I think that I will let my journal out of my sight. My journal is really precious to me since it is where I started writing about my dreams before I entered college— no matter how cheesy and gay that sounded— and I would never risk losing it just because a random stranger borrowed it.

Annabeth rubbed her temples as she closed her eyes. She cleared before she spoke once again. “Okay, so I’m willing to make some changes in order for you to agree. If you want, you can come with me to the station so that you can get your journal ASAP after my boss sees it. Deal?”

I tapped my fingers on the table as I thought about her offer. Considering the fact that I’ll be there and I will be able to meet whoever her boss is— who will be my boss in the near future just in case I get accepted— even though I really, really loathe the fact that I will be working with a boss; plus, I get to make some deals with them while I work, that sounded good. This is the chance that I have been waiting for, and I can’t just let it go like that. I need to make this work, and compromise if I needed to.

I nodded. “Okay. Deal.”

“Okay,” Phoebe clasped her hands together and smiled. “So I guess my job in here is done. I still need to do some things.”

“Like what?” Annabeth asked in amused tone.

“Look for Siwon.” Phoebe chuckled as she gathered her things and held her bag.

“If you’re looking for Siwon, he’s working. He’s not in his bookstore in The Cabanas, so you won’t be able to hang out with him today.” I gave Phoebe a smile

“Oh, okay.” Phoebe nodded and I saw her expression turn a little gloomy for a while, and it was quickly replaced by a wide smile. “Thanks Heechul. Anyways, I really need to go. Ciao!” she gave Annabeth a kiss on the cheek and waved at me before heading out of the coffee shop.

My expression was quickly replaced by a blank one as soon as Phoebe left. “I’ll be frank. I don’t want to work with you, bu—”

“I don’t want to work with you either.”

I closed my eyes for a while, trying my best not to explode. Of all the things that I hated, it was getting interrupted when I am talking. “But I’m enduring it, because I need it. An—”

“Same same.”

“Will you let me finish?!” I hissed.

Annabeth pressed her lips together and nodded. “The floor is yours.”

“And I want it. So please, let’s make this work. I need it, you need it. Let’s keep it professional.” I looked at her. “So, is it a deal?”

“I have some conditions first.”

“What are those?”

“Since I’m sure that you’re going to get picked, because I know that you’re the one that my team is looking for, I know that you’ll be in the set most of the time, and I just have a few requests. One, you can’t shout at me like that. Tw—”

“I didn’t shout at you!”

“Then what are you doing right now, huh?!”

“I’m talking to you!”

“Is that your way of talking to everyone?”

“Yes!” I crossed my arms and tucked a strand of my hair behind my left ear. Tsk, irritating. She can’t order me around like this.

Annabeth scoffed and rolled her eyes. “Whatever. You’re crazy. Tw—”

“I’m not crazy, woman!”

“Stop interrupting me! And number two, stop calling me ‘woman’! I have a name!” Annabeth scratched her head out of irritation. “I wouldn’t deal with you if I don’t need my job. But I do, so I’m going to deal with all of these that come with you.”

“Same same.”

“So, is it a deal?” Annabeth offered her hand for a hand shake, looking straight at me, who is busy stirring his glass of iced tea.

I looked up and raised an eyebrow before taking her hand. “Deal.”

 

 

“Heechul, long time no see.” Hangeng smiled as soon as he saw me standing right in front of their doorstep. I decided to go and visit Hangeng, my bestest friend among the guys, after my meeting with Annabeth’s boss, since it’s been long since we last saw each other. He had been busy with their family business since his parents are getting old already and they needed to take things easy.

I patted his shoulder and grinned as I went in. “Yeah, long time no see.”

“What’re you doing here?” Hangeng asked as he followed me towards their living room. I sat down in the couch and placed my duffel bag on top of the pillows. “Do you want something to eat?”

“Naaah.” I waved my hand in the air and chuckled. “Save your hopias and tikoys for the Chinese new year.”

Hangeng chuckled as he sat beside me. “Are you still using that joke?”

I shrugged. “It’s not really a joke. It’s the truth, it’s just funny.”

He shook his head in amusement and chuckled. “You really love to make fun of me, Heechul.”

“That’s my way of showing you how much I love you, Geng.” A few seconds after I said it, I shivered and it made Hangeng laugh. I felt goose bumps and rubbed my arms. “Ayy, I really am not used to saying things like that. That is so gay.”

“I was surprised when I heard that as well.” Hangeng chuckled and hit me with a pillow.

I chuckled and gave the pillow back to him. I looked around and noticed the that their house is extremely quiet, which is weird since his parents talk really loudly and they really don’t run out of things to talk about. “Where’s auntie and uncle?” I looked around for some signs that they’re just around the house, but I found none.

“They’re in the restaurant, busy with some things.” Hangeng switched the television on and scanned the channels. “It’s loaded with people on afternoons.”

“Mm..” I nodded slowly. “Where’s Zhoumi?” I stood up and headed upstairs to look for Zhoumi since I know that today is his day off. I know Hangeng’s place so well like I was the one living in here. Whenever I am bored, I visit their place and stay here for a while since his parents are fun to be with. His parents said that I am welcome in here whenever I feel like coming anyways. They treat me like how their treat their own son and Zhoumi, their nephew.

“Ugh.. Heechul.. he’s still asleep,” I heard Hangeng’s footsteps behind me. “And he’s wi—”

“Yah, Zhoumi!” I opened the first door in the right with the wooden sign ‘Zhoumi’ written in Chinese characters that was hung on the door. “Wake up, I’m here!”

I stopped halfway in his room when I saw Zhoumi sleeping beside a girl, his arms wrapped around the girl tightly and both of them are still fully clothed, just in case some of you are thinking of weird things about them. I blinked, frozen on the spot as I held the doorknob tightly. Ugh.. not a good timing, I guess.

Zhoumi wrinkled his nose as he slowly stood up, gently laying the girl’s head gently on the pillow. He was mumbling some Chinese words that I don’t understand. Hangeng said something in Chinese to him as well, and his eyes suddenly widened. “Oh, H-heechul!” Zhoumi quickly stood up and wore his slippers. “I didn’t know you were here.”

“Yeah, ‘cause you’re busy with your girl.” I chuckled as I did a high five with him. “Hangeng didn’t tell me you were busy.”

“I was about to tell you, but you were too fast.” Hangeng chuckled.

“Let’s talk outside. Hannah doesn’t like it when someone wakes her up.” Zhoumi pushed us (Hangeng and I) outside his room and closed the door gently. “And if you’re thinking about some weird things, Heechul, well, you’re wrong. Hannah and I just got home a few hours ago, and she was dead tired after playing badminton.”

“Mm.” I nodded as the three of us went downstairs. “Zhoumi, the responsible boyfriend is here.”

Zhoumi chuckled as he sat down on the couch. “Just doing my job, Heechul.”

“Shut up, Zhoumi.” I rolled my eyes as I sat down beside him. “You’re too cheesy.”

“I’m just telling the truth, Heechul. You’ll turn into a mushy creature as well when you get into a relationship like me.”

“Stop saying nonsense, Zhoumi. I won’t be like that.”

“Don’t talk about nonsense, Heechul.” Hangeng chuckled softly as he placed the plate of hopia on the table in front of us. “You can never tell how you’ll act when you’re in his situation. When was the last time that you had a girlfriend?”

“About..” I started counting with my fingers as I thought of it. “Six years ago.”

“See? Things can change, Heechul.” Hangeng took a piece of hopia and ate. “You won’t be able to understand Zhoumi not unless you get in to a relationship as well. Among us, only Zhoumi and Shindong are in stable relationships.”

“Girls are somewhat annoying, Hangeng. They like a lot of things and change their minds easily. And when you won’t get what they want to say, they get mad easily.”

“Are you describing yourself, Heechul?” Zhoumi chuckled and stood up, preparing to run away just in case I would hit him. And fortunately, I didn’t. I am in a really good mood today and just laughed because of what Zhoumi said.

“Looks like you’re in a good mood today, huh?” Hangeng nudged me as he grinned.

I nodded and smiled. “I just got an offer from a television station to design clothes for an upcoming movie. I’m just waiting for their confirmation.”

“Congratulations, Heechul!” Zhoumi said as he patted my shoulder. “Your big break is finally coming. You should invite us in your fashion show in the near future, okay?”

“You’re all going to sit on the front row, don’t worry.” I said with a smirk. I turned to look at Hangeng who’s busy eating his hopia. “Aren’t you tired of eating hopia? You’ve been eating that thing ever since we met years ago!”

“I haven’t had one for a few months.” Hangeng grinned.

“Seriously?” I raised an eyebrow as he looked at Hangeng.

“He’s telling the truth, Heechul.” Zhoumi said as he patted his shoulder. “He wa—”

“Mimi, where are you?” A girl’s voice can be heard from upstairs. The three of us looked at the staircase, waiting for the owner of the voice to come down.

“Baby, I’m here.” Zhoumi smiled and stood up. The girl whose name I don’t know came running down the stairs and hugged Zhoumi when she reached him. Zhoumi smiled at her and kissed her temple. “Did you sleep well?”

The girl nodded. “Mm. I woke up because you weren’t there anymore.”

“Sorry baby.” Zhoumi smiled and kissed her cheek. “I wa—”

I cleared my throat awkwardly as I looked at the couple at the edge of the staircase. The sight was too cheesy for me to handle. “Won’t you introduce me to your girlfriend, Mimi?” I imitated the way she said ‘Mimi’, and because of that, Hangeng laughed really hard.

The girl chuckled as she buried her face in Zhoumi’s chest. Zhoumi smiled and looked at Hangeng and I. “Heechul, I’d like you to meet my girlfriend, Hannah. Hannah, this is Heechul, a very good friend of mine.”

I stood up and offered a hand to Hannah. “It’s nice to meet you, Hannah. I’m Heechul.” Hannah shook my hand with a shy smile. “If you need someone to make your wedding dress, I’m willing to do it.”

Hannah chuckled softly. “Sure thing, Heechul. I’d be really happy if you will.”

Zhoumi shook his head as he chuckled, and hugged Hannah tightly. “Don’t scare her, Heechul.”

“Do I look like I am scaring her, huh, Mimi?” I chuckled as I placed my hands on my waist. “I was being nice.”

Hannah poked Zhoumi’s stomach. “It’s fine, Mimi. Heechul’s cool.”

“Thanks, Hannah.” I grinned and went back to my seat. “You can continue with your lovey dovey now, Mimi. I won’t bother you, I promise.”

“Heechul!” Zhoumi reached for a pillow and aimed it at me while Hannah just chuckled softly.

“You’ll get used to it soon, Heechul.” Hangeng said. “Mama likes Hannah so much that she always invites her for dinner.” I just nodded as I went back to my seat.

“We’ll just get something in the car.” Zhoumi said as he led Hannah out of the house.

“I’m hungry. Cook for me, Geng.” I rubbed my stomach as I rested my head on Hangeng’s shoulder.

“Eat some hopia, I’m too lazy to cook!”

“I don’t want those hopias. I want Beijing fried rice!” I whined like a five-year-old boy. Hope it works, since I really miss eating the Beijing Fried Rice that Geng makes. All of us love it.

“No, I’m too lazy. Eat these hopias!” Hangeng whined like a five-year-old as well. Can you now see the reason why we’re good friends?

“No, cook for me, Geng!”

“I’m too lazy, eat those hopias!”

“No, cook for me!”

“Eat those!”

“No!”

“I won’t cook!”

“Hangeng!”

“Heechul!”

“I wo—”

*Heechul's Ringtone*

Hangeng blinked as he looked at me before laughing hard. He was the perfect epitome of the expression ‘LOL’.  “Nice ringtone, Heechul.” He said after he finally calmed his self down.

I shook my head as I chuckled. “Kibum changed the ringtone. Really, that kid.” Whenever Kibum is with me, I let him use my phone whenever  he likes since there is  nothing for me to hide, and most of the time, it ends up like this: it’s either I have a really weird ringtone or I have a really weird wallpaper. I fished my phone out of my bag and answered the call. “Hello?”

“Heechul? Is this Heechul Kim?”

I raised an eyebrow after hearing the unfamiliar voice from the unregistered caller. “Who are you?”

The person from the other line chuckled softly. “This is Annabeth.”

My lips slowly formed an ‘o’ as I nodded. “What do you want from me?”

“The number was right. Anyways, I just want to inform you that you got accepted. Ma’am Charlie wants to meet you for the contract and dang! Say hello to your big break, Heechul Kim! This is..”

Annabeth’s next words were like a blur to me. The next ones didn’t matter since the only thing that my mind processed were the words she said before my mind blanked out and went straight to cloud nine: Say hello to your big break, Heechul Kim.

Out of glee, I wasn’t able to keep track of what I was doing; I was too happy to even care.

 

3rd person’s POV

Hangeng blinked as he watched Heechul. “Yah, Kim Heechul, what was that?” He shook Heechul’s shoulders, worried that his friend has gone crazy just because of a simple phonecall, but Heechul won’t answer. Curiously, Hangeng picked up his phone only to see that the call still hasn’t ended, and decided to talk to the caller. “Hello?”

“Goodness gracious! What happened to Heechul? Is he okay?” Annabeth asked.

“Heechul is currently laughing like a mad man at the moment while eating some hopia. Who’s th--” Hangeng was cut off when he heard Heechul coughing, and when he turned to look at him, he saw him choking because of too much hopia in his mouth. “Put— wait for a moment, miss.” He placed Heechul’s phone back on the couch and hurried to the kitchen to get a glass of water. Heechul’s cough can loudly be heard around the house that even Zhoumi and Hannah went inside to check it out.

“Hangeng, what’s happe—” Zhoumi’s eyes widened as he saw Heechul hitting his chest and coughing like crazy. “What the f—” He went to Heechul and started hitting his back in order to help him throw out the food in his mouth.

Hangeng came back with a glass of water and handed it to Heechul as soon as he recovered. “Yah, are you trying to kill yourself? One second you’re telling me that you’re sick and tired of eating hopia and on the next you ate them until you choked. What were you trying to do, huh?”

“Are you crazy?!” Zhoumi asked as he continued to rub Heechul’s back. As soon as Heechul finished his glass of water, he wiped his lips and the tears formed in the corner of his eyes and started laughing once again.

Hangeng rolled his eyes. “This man has gone mad.”

Zhoumi nodded slowly, his eyes focused on Heechul. “I agree.”

“Mimi,” Hannah said. “The girl Heechul is talking to said that he’s going to sign the contract on Friday at 9AM. What contract is she talking about?”

Heechul smirked. “Say hello to my big break.”

**

 

A/N: Henry was in the Philippines ;w; and I knew abt it when he left. Dang. ;w;