XII - How does it feel like to be in the ‘zone’?

Kings of Anything

[A/N: I changed the latter part of Ryeowook's part, the one wherein Kara was talking about her problems and stuffs. So, yeah. Hi. I'm almost done editing. YAAAAAAAY ]

 

Lonely - B1A4

 

Title: Kings of Anything
Genre: Comedy (?), Fluff, Romance, Drama
Character/s: Super Junior x OC
No. of Chapters: 12/?

 

(Chapter Focus: Sungmin and Ryeowook)

XII

How does it feel like to be in the ‘zone’

 

October 7, 20xx, Monday

SUNGMIN

 

“One Java Chip Frappuccino and one Caramel Flan Frappuccino please.” I said with a smile as I eyed the girl in the counter. She giggled as she keyed in the orders. She’s cute.

It’s four in the afternoon and I just arrived in the Pacific Suites in Dapitan, where we live. Eunhyuk is at home as well, working on a new project that he needs to finish before the 10th for his leave of absence to be granted, according to him. I just came back from getting my schedule for the next week in the agency and with a simple text message saying, ‘buy me coffee when you get home thanks’, I know what to do already. In the past years that I have been living with the guy named Lee Hyukjae, I already know the flavour of coffee that he orders most of the time in Starbucks.

“Is that all, Sir?” The girl asked with a flirty smile on her face as she looked straight into my eyes. Maybe she’s a new employee since it’s my first time to see her here.

“Mm..” I tapped my fingers on my chin and looked at the menu for a while before looking back at her again. “Can I have you as well?” I winked at her and then grinned.

“I’m not part of the menu, sir.” She looked at me and bit her lower lip, trying to look seductive. But no, that does not have an effect on me. “But I’ll appreciate it if you take me out for dinner after my shift.”

I raised an eyebrow and then shrugged. “Maybe I will, maybe I won’t. We’ll see.”

The girl just shook her head, her expression a mix of amusement and annoyance. “Name, sir?”

“Sungmin.” I grinned. “I ha—”

“Hey Sungmin!” I looked behind me and saw Rebi, still in her school uniform, waving at me. I smiled at her and waved back as I watched her walk towards me. “Pay for mine as well, I don’t have money with me right now.”

I raised an eyebrow as I looked at her. “Seriously? You? No money? Those are words that you can never place in a sentence together.” I chuckled before nudging Rebi playfully. “No one would believe you if you tell them that you don’t have money. You’re Rebecca Choi, Siwon’s younger sister. Your surname comes with the word ‘money’.”

Rebi blinked and then crossed her arms. “I was just asking you to treat me but all that you did was do a monologue about how rich my brother is.” She chuckled and clapped her hands. “Good job, oppa. That was awesomely weird.”

“I wa—” Someone behind us cleared their throat, and when I turned to look at who it is, I saw the girl in the counter glaring at us. I gave her a teasing smile. “Yes?”

“The payment, sir.” She gritted her teeth as she glared at Rebi.

“Oh.” I nodded, but deep inside, I really wanted to laugh. Girls like her are pathetic; they’re too easy to fool. They fall for a guy’s words in an instant. I took out my wallet from my back pocket and handed her a five-hundred peso bill. “There you g—”

“Can you please add another Java Chip Frappuccino? Thank you.” Rebi said with a smile and patted my shoulder. “Thank you, oppa.” She grinned before heading to the empty seat by the window.

“Really, that girl.” I chuckled as I shook my head before looking at the girl at the cashier. “Yeah, add that one.”

The girl rolled her eyes before punching in the additional order. I tapped my fingers on the counter and hummed as I waited for my change. As soon as she gave me the change and the receipt, I went straight to the table where Rebi is, and I know that that girl is extremely annoyed at the moment. That’s what you get for being too flirty with me.

“What are you doing?” I sat down on the seat across Rebi and watched her as she flipped the pages of the book on the table. I placed my duffel bag on the round seat beside me and looked at Rebi who is busy with her books. Maybe it’s their finals week? Ryeowook is too busy studying in the past few days. I can’t even get him to go out of his room not unless dinner is served. We’ve been eating fast food for more than three days because Ryeong doesn’t have time to cook. 

“I’m studying. It’s our finals week.” She said without looking at me, her eyes focused on her thick accounting book. She took out her pink pencil from her pencil case and started writing down some notes on the piece of paper beside her other books. “Gosh, I really don’t get this..” she mumbled as she scratched her head, but since I am too awesome, I heard it.

“Get what?” I stood up and sat down on the round chair, transferring my bag to the seat where I sat a while ago. I took a peek at the book that she was holding, only to see that what she’s studying is something that I don’t know. “I was going to help, but I figured out that there’s nothing that I can do with that.”

“Of course, oppa. Accounting is way different that Tourism.” She chuckled and placed the book on the table. She held the piece of paper and stared at it, as if some answer will suddenly pop out after a few seconds of staring.

“Well, Tourism doesn’t need that much math, you know.” I chuckled. “We only did basic math, business math. But, that’s math right? Ask Kyuhyun or Hyuk, they’re good in math. Hyuk won’t be an engineer if he isn’t good in math.”

“I don’t want to disturb them. I know that it’s Kyuhyun’s finals week  as well, and for Hyuk oppa.. I think he’s busy. He’s working.”

I shrugged. “Hyuk is never busy, you know.”

“Lies.” Rebi chuckled.

“I a—”

“One Caramel Flan Frappuccino and Two Java Chip Frappuccino for Sungmin!” I heard the piercing voice of the girl in the counter once again. Irritated, I stood up and went to take our order without looking at her, and headed back to where Rebi is.

“As I was saying,” I gave her her coffee and started drinking mine. “I am not that busy.”

“That is true.” She pointed at me with her pen and then grinned before taking a sip of her drink.

“Really, all of you think that I am not busy?” I asked in an amused tone as I looked at her. I laughed softly after seeing her look at me with a straight face, telling me that I am talking nonsense. “Hey, even models are busy, too. I am busy.”

“Busy flirting with girls.” Rebi said in a matter-of-factly tone and took a quick glance at me.

“Exactl— wait a minute.” I chuckled and leaned closer to her, nudging her side softly with my elbow. “I don’t flirt with girls. I am not a flirt. I just can’t help it that I am this good-looking and girls can’t resist my charm.”

“Oh please.” Rebi rolled her eyes and then chuckled. “If you’re not a flirt, then, what are you, friendly? You’re too friendly for your own good.”

“Mr. Congeniality at you service, ma’am!” I saluted and winked at her before laughing.

 She scoffed and closed her book before looking at me. “You know what, Sungmin oppa. I really don’t get it. Why are you doing this? Why do you treat girls as toys?”

I turned stiff on my seat and pressed my lips together into a thin line. What is wrong with her? One minute, she wasn’t like this. Why bring up a topic that she knows she would never get the answer?

I regained my composure a few seconds later, and managed to give Rebi a playful smile. “Just because I want to, it’s that easy.”

Rebi removed her eyeglasses and then rubbed her eyes. She eyed me sceptically and then crossed her arms. “Is that really it? I don’t buy it. Just so you know, you’re not the same oppa that I loved to play with when I was young.” She gathered her books and then stood up, heading straight to the exit while drinking her cup of coffee.

I blinked and then stood up, hanging my duffel bag on my shoulder and held the two cups of coffee in each of my hand as I followed her. I don’t really get it; why is she mad at me all of a sudden? We were in good terms a while ago, she was even joking with me. “Rebi! Rebi! Wait!”

Without looking back at me, Rebi headed straight to the elevator and went in as soon as the doors opened. I saw her quickly press the button so that the doors would close eventually. She was looking at me the whole time that I was running towards the elevator. Dang, I don’t think I would make it!

Just before the elevator doors closed, I slipped my right foot in between to stop it. “Ouch!” The doors opened, but my foot really hurts. Damn. I bent down to check my foot, the stinging pain slowly spreading and I am really annoyed that I can’t do anything about it. What am I supposed to do when I have my bag on my shoulder, and a cup of coffee in each hand?!

“Who on earth told you to do that?!” Rebi said, her eyes wide and she looks extremely mad at me. She walked towards me and bent down a little to check my foot. “Does it hurt?”

“A little, but I can manage.” I stood up and went inside the elevator.

“Why did you do that?” Rebi went inside as well and pressed the button for the doors to close.

“I want to know the reason why you got pissed. Did I do something wrong, Rebi?”

Rebi sighed and shook her head. “No, not really. I was just.. too stressed with my exams, and I just needed to let it all out. Sorry if it had to be you.”

I shrugged. “It’s nothing, don’t wor—” I was cut off by my own ringtone, making Rebi look at my pocket then at me. She gave me a nod, telling me that it’s okay for me to answer the call even if we’re in the middle of a conversation.

“I can hold the other one for you.” Rebi laid out her free hand, and I willingly gave it to her. She took a sip from her own coffee as she watched me.

Now, who on earth would call me at such a bad time? Why do I always get cut off by people when I am talking? “Hel—”

“Where on earth are you, lee Sungmin? Kinain ka na ba ng starbucks?” I just got cut off by Lee Hyukjae, everyone. For the third time, I wasn’t able to finish the word that I am saying. {Kinain ka na ba ng starbucks? - Did Starbucks eat you alive already?}

“Calm down, Hyuk. Starbucks didn’t eat me alive.” I tried my best to remain as calm as possible. I know that Hyuk is really stressed as hell right now, I don’t want to get into a nonsense fight with him just because we weren’t able to contain our emotions because of some stressful events.

“Then where on earth are you? I need my coffee right now, Sungmin. I am sleepy but I need to work on my project. Just please, hurry up, will you? Stop flirting with girls, bring me my coffee then continue with whatever your business is at the moment.”

“For your information, sir,” I emphasized the word ‘sir’. “I am on my way to our place now. I didn’t flirt with any girl in Starbucks. I am in the elevator, so just calm the down and wait for me, okay?” I glanced at Rebi and she just shrugged. “Second, I am with Rebi right now so d—”

“Yah, why on earth are you with Rebi? Did you do something to her, huh? You know that Siwon is going to kill you if he finds out that you’re hitting on his baby sister and most of all when he finds out that you’re just going to include her in your yeoja list be—”

“Shut up and let me finish, Lee Hyukjae.” I rolled my eyes, as if Eunhyuk was here, right in front of me. Why on earth would he think that I would hit on Rebi? Is he nuts? I would never, ever think of courting Rebi. She’s like a younger sister to me. “I am with Rebi right now because I met her in Starbucks and treated her. Happy?”

“Err.. kinda.”

“Lastly, you can’t order me around like I’m your servant. Masyado akong gwapo para maging katulong mo.” {Masyado akong gwapo para maging katulong mo - I am too handsome to be your maid}

Rebi rolled her eyes and then scoffed before mumbling some words that I wasn’t able to hear.

“What?” I turned to look at her. “Did you say something, Rebi?”

“Naaaah,” Rebi waved her hand in the air then nodded with a sarcastic look on her face. “Don’t mind me. ‘Di ako nag-eexist sa mga oras na ‘to.” {'Di ako nag-eexist sa mga oras na 'to - I don't exist right now}

I shrugged and then focused my attention back to my phone. “What were you saying, Hyuk?”

“Nothing. Just hurry up, okay? Bye.” And the line went dead.

“I think your master needs his coffee now, so you better get going.” Rebi handed me the other cup of coffee and nodded.

I took it and grinned. “Yeah, I’ll go ahead. Will you be okay by yourself?”

“Oh please.” Rebi rolled her eyes and then smiled. “I’m not the nine-year-old-girl that you used to play with before. I’m a grown up now, I can take care of myself.”

The elevator’s door opened. “Yeah, right.” I chuckled as I headed out of the elevator and into the hallways. Right before the doors closed fully, I took a quick glance at Rebi and smiled, and she gave me a nod in return. I headed straight to our unit, only to be welcomed by Eunhyuk who is standing by the door, texting. He looked up at me and raised an eyebrow as soon as he saw me.

“Wow, buhay ka pa pala?” he said with a grin as he watched me wear my slippers. He laid out his hand and I gave him his coffee. {Buhay ka pa pala? - You're still alive?}

“You’re welcome.” I nodded with a grin and patted his shoulder before walking pass him.

“Salamat sa tubig. Walangya, wala nang lasa.” {Salamat sa tubig. Walangya, wala nang lasa - Thank you for the water. Damn, it doesn't taste like coffee anymore}

I shook my head and laughed as I went in.

**

October 8, 20xx, Tuesday

RYEOWOOK

 

“OH MY GOSH KUYA RYEONG I MISSED YOU!”

I blinked before looking behind me. Kara is running towards me with an excited expression on her face. I smiled, spreading my arms wide, welcoming my really good friend in my arms to give her a big and warm bear hug.

I just finished the first batch of exams for today, and I decided to take a walk around UST before going home. My mind is truly worn out because of the math exam that I had a while ago, and I am still thinking of the performance for tomorrow, a part of my finals exam in one of my major subjects. I still need to rehearse that three-minute piece, and review for my other subjects as well. I want to relax for a while before facing my books later at home. UST looks really relaxing; especially the place around the field and the Cathedral, and it’s one of the things that I love about my school.

“Gosh, I missed you, Kuya!” Kara jumped into my arms as she reached me, hugging me tightly. I ruffled her hair as soon as she let me go. “Do you still have classes? Let’s eat together, please? My treat, since it had been a week since I last saw you.” Kara pouted as she rubbed her stomach.

Ang OA, ha.” I said with a laugh. “One week lang ‘di nagkita, miss na agad? How much more if I’ll be gone for years?” {One week lang 'di nagkita, miss na agad? - We only didn't see each other for one week, yet, you miss me already?}

“That’s impossible, kuya!” Kara said  as she crossed her arms. “Hindi pwede, ayaw ko.” {Hindi pwede, ayaw ko - It can't (happen; referring to the previous statement of Ryeong which says that he'll be gone for years), I don't want it (to happen)}

“Aigoo.” I chuckled softly as I ruffled her hair. “You can’t stay with me forever, Kara. Your boyfriend would get mad at me.”

“Well, Chen knows that you’re my kuya, so he’s fine with it.” Kara answered with a proud grin. “He needs to be fine with it. He can’t stop me from seeing my friends. I never said anything when I saw him hanging out with that wide-eyed girl friend of his from Benilde last week. So, he has no right to tell me to stop seeing you.”

“Who’s that girl again?”

“I don’t know her name, kuya. All that I can remember is that she has really wide eyes. Chen didn’t even notice that I was walking around in circles outside that restaurant where he and his friends— including that girl with big eyes— are eating.”

“Don’t think about it that much, Kara. When Chen tells you that she and him are just friends, believe him. Why would he deceive you?”

“You’re on his side now, kuya?”

“No, what I was saying is that you should trust your boyfriend.”

“Whatever.” She chuckled and went in front 0f me, walking backwards.

“Hey, walk properly. You might trip and get hurt.” I pulled her back to the spot where she was at, the one beside me.

“Killjoy.” She wrinkled her nose and crossed her arms as she walked beside me.

I chuckled and shook my head in amusement as I looked at her. “Well, kumusta finals?” {Kumusta - How.. is..}

“The exam was hard, especially the exam that the professor that you were talking about gave us! I should’ve borrowed all of your notes from last year.”

“Even if you borrow them, I won’t give you the ones with the seatworks and answers.  You should learn them by yourself, Kara. Not with some notes that you borrowed from your senior.”

“But still.” She scratched her head. “I think I’ll pass. I’d be fine with a 2.5 or a 2.75 since that subject is really really hard.”

Kara is a year younger than me. She studies in the same school, and same degree course as mine. I met her during one of the theatre productions of Teatro Tomasino, the theatre organization that Kara and I are in now. She was one of the backstage assistants in charge of the costumes, and she helped me with mine when I played one of the major roles in Ang Huling Pahina when I was on my second year and she was just a freshman. Ever since that day, Kara and I became really good friends. [Ang Huling Pahina - The Last Page; a play by Teatro Tomasino, UST's theater organization; I am not a student of UST so I don't really know how things work there :D ]

Most of my friends in school are girls, and Kara is one of them. I only have few guy friends since there aren’t many guy classmates in my degree course. And besides, I am not really the manly type of boy (isn’t it obvious?:3) which some of my guy friends before found weird.

“Let’s continue our chit-chat while we eat. I’m hungry.” I hung my arms around Kara’s shoulder and grinned. “Your treat, right? That’s a promise, okay?”

“Of course, kuya. Then, it’s going to be your turn on our next meals together.” Kara poked my waist and then grinned.

“You’re such a bully. I don’t even know why I’m friends with you.”

“It’s because you can’t resist my cuteness.” Kara batted her eyelashes and wrinkled her nose as she looked at me. I looked away after a few seconds and scratched my head. I heard Kara mumble ‘yes!’ and probably she’s grinning widely right now. “I knew it! My cuteness is my asset, right?” she poked my side, and it made me jerk away from her. She really knows that it’s one of my weak spots.

“You really know when to use that asset of yours, huh?” I said with a slight smile as I looked at her. “You already know that people can’t resist you that’s why you keep on doing it. Aigoooooo.”

“It’s not my fault that you can’t resist my cuteness.” Kara laughed before entering McDonald’s with me following her.

 

 

Ate Cindy kept on telling me that I should cut my hair short,” Kara said before taking a bite of her big mac. “But I really like my hair long, like this. I really don’t like her, you know? It’s a good thing that I only get two see her during org assemblies, and that she sits far away from me. I would’ve talked back to her if she wasn’t a senior, you know.”

“Don’t mind her.” I said as I dipped the French fries in my hand before popping them inside my mouth. “You know that her attitude is like that, why do you still talk to her?”

“I don’t, kuya! She was the one who suddenly approached me and told me to cut my hair short in before classes start next semester.”

“Oh.” I nodded.

It’s two in the afternoon, and there aren’t that much people inside Mcdonald’s. Most students are still inside their classrooms and answering endless sheets of paper for their finals, where most of their grades depends on. You would never like to see the mood of every student during the finals week. It’s like an early zombie apocalypse, wherein most students have dark bags in their eyes and no sleep at all. I’m one of those zombies who survived the first wave of exams for this week.

I was taking a bite of my big mac when I suddenly remembered something that I overheard from the org officers the other day. “Oh, I know why she’s telling you to cut your hair short.”

She blinked as she took a sip from her drink. “Why? I didn’t do anything to her in the past weeks. I didn’t even talk to her.”

“This is a secret, okay?” I gestured for her to come closer since she is seated across me, and she did. “I overheard the officers saying that you’re one of the candidates for the major prod next semester, the one about the Madonna-wannabe girl from the province. The lead needs to have long hair, and I think, she wants you to cut it because she had been talking to me about auditioning for that role next semester.”

“The one entitled Mad—”

“Sshh!” I placed my fingers near my lips, gesturing for her to keep quiet. “We’re not supposed to know that but I overheard it.

Her eyes suddenly sparkled with excitement. “Oh my gosh! I want that role! I would  never cut my hair short, I’ll just get it trimmed during the break.”

“Now you’re excited.” I chuckled as I watched her reaction. “I shouldn’t have told you that.”

“Nope, thank you for telling me, kuya.” She grinned at me. “I’d practice really hard during the break and I would really audition for the role.”

“Do your best if you get picked for the role, Kara. I’m rooting for you.” I gave her a smile before taking a sip from my Coke float.

“I should tell Chen. He should watch me just in case I get picked. But.. I think he’ll still be busy with his plates next semester.” Chen is Kara’s boyfriend, a second year architecture student here in UST. They had been together for five months, ever since May this year. There are some times wherein she talks to me about how busy Chen is because of his studies. She says she understands it since their studies should be their priority, but she just can’t help but feel sad because she misses him. Every time that she talks about these circumstances, the smile that she usually wears every day is missing.

“We’re busy with our plates as well, you know.” She gave me a what-the-hell-are-you-talking-about face as she looked at me. “Bilog nga lang at kinakainan.” I grinned and wiggled my eyebrows as I looked at her. [Bilog nga lang at kinakainan - It is round in shape and we use it for eating]

“Gosh, you’re so corny! Waley!” Kara chuckled as she threw a rolled tissue paper at me which I managed to catch. “Stop it, stop joking. You’re soooo damn funny. And take note, I am sarcastic.” [Waley - an expression used by some Filipinos when a joke isn't funny]

I made a face and then chuckled. “Okay, okay, but still, I managed to make you smile.”

She nodded and smiled at me. “I’m really glad that I have you as a friend, kuya. I’ve been wishing for an older brother ever since I was young, you know. And I think I found him in you. So yeah, thank you, really. It’s so hard to be an only child, you know? I have no one to talk to at home about these stuffs.”

“I’m an only child as well, Kara. I know what you feel.” I smiled.

“Yep. So yeah, I’m sorry if I talk to you about some girl stuffs and ask you to accompany me whenever I buy clothes or make-up. You know that I can’t really talk to Chen about all of these stuffs, you know? He doesn’t really understand girl things since all that he has are brothers and the only girl in their family is his mom, and he gets bored whenever I talk about the org, since he said he doesn’t really know anything about theatre, you know? He gets bored after a few minutes of talking about theatre thingys.”

“Why are you apologizing, Kara?”

“I don’t know, really. I sometimes feel that I am taking advantage of your kindness and of our friendship, you know.” She played with her fingers and looked at her cup of cola.

I chuckled as I stood up and ruffled her hair. It’s my first time to hear Kara say these things. “Don’t worry, Kara. You’re not. You’re really fun to be with.”

“Really? I am not annoying because I am too talkative?” She looked like a little girl who is waiting for an answer to the question that she wants to hear.

“Who told you that you’re too talkative?” I asked in an amused tone as I looked at her. I must admit, Kara can get really talkative sometimes, or should I say, most of the time.

“My professor! She caught me talking to Elaine and told me that I was too talkative for my own good.” She pouted and wrinkled her nose— a habit of hers whenever she feels irritated or annoyed with something.

“You should keep your mouth shut sometimes, Kara.” I chuckled.

Kuya, you know that I am someone who can’t last an hour without talking.” She grinned as she dipped a french fry on her sundae before eating it. “But really, kuya, thank you for everything— for tolerating my childishness, for listening to my endless dramas, for comforting me whenever Chen and I have a fight and for being the best kuya in the world. You’re always there whenever I need a friend or someone to talk to. I’ve always wanted to have an older brother, and I guess you’re the one that God sent for me.”

“Kara,” I stared at her and blinked. “Are going somewhere?”

“What on earth are you talking about? Where did you get that idea?” She laughed and threw another roll of tissue paper at me. “Do you want me to leave?”

“No!” I laughed with her as well. “It just feels weird that you’re saying those words, you know.”

“Minsan lang ‘to, kuya.” She grinned. “But it’s true. Really, thank you so much.” {Minsan lang 'to,kuya - this seldom happens, oppa}

I wasn’t able to continue drinking my drink because of what I heard. Instead, I smiled at her. Hearing those kinds of words from Kara made me happy because I know that somehow, I was able to do something to make a friend of mine happy.

“So yeah, thank you talaga kuya. Love youuuu!” Kara chuckled after saying the last phrase.

I smiled and ruffled her hair. “You’re welcome, Kara. No need to thank me. That’s what friends are for, right?”

“Oh, and I th—” Kara stopped mid-sentence and took her phone out from her pocket. “Kuya, Chen is waiting for me. Is it okay if I leave first? I’m really sorry, I forgot that I promised to accompany him t—”

“It’s okay, Kara. You don’t need to explain, I understand.” I patted her shoulder and nodded.  “Go, he’s waiting for you. You wouldn’t want him to get mad again, right?”

“Right!” Kara smiled and stood up, putting on her backpack. “Do I look good? Do I look decent?”

I chuckled and nodded. “Yup.”

She grinned and waved at me. “See you next time, kuya. Bye!”

“Text me when you get home, okay?” Kara gave me an okay sign before disappearing from my sight. The smile that I was wearing when she was here finally faded. I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair before finishing my drink so that I can leave as well.

When I went down, I stood by the edge of the stairs, watching Kara hug Chen through the windows. I leaned my head on the wall and sighed for the nth time this day.

 

 

 

If only you met me first, Kara.

**