True Shadows

The Broken Music-Box
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  Jongin had to do something to make Krystal believe that he meant no harm and that he won’t stop haunting the house unless his soul is fully rested peacefully. He needs to show Krystal that she plays a big role in his afterlife that he can only count on her. Jongin himself doesn’t know where his body was actually buried around the house.

  Heck, he isn’t sure whether his rotting body is really around the house—he can’t leave the area unless his music-box is moved. He still remembers that wretched night, the night he was killed by that heartless human; no, his action wasn’t human at all. He’s practically a monster created to take other people’s lives without God’s approval.

  The last thing Jongin remembers that night before he blacks out completely was a spinning little dancer in its music box and a tune playing before he closes his eyes. This explains why he’s trapped inside the music-box since it practically trapped—no, kept his soul in it while he dies agonizingly. He still can’t accept the fact that he died young, when he can have all the things in the world with the right choices.

  If Krystal won’t accept his existence in the house, then Jongin has to make her even if it scars her for life.

  He needs to communicate with her somehow.

  Jongin literally jumped when he heard a door screeched open as he peeked through Krystal’s doorway and saw Jessica rubbing her eyes as she brought along a lot of toiletries with her as she entered the bathroom adjacent to her bedroom.

  Jongin smirked to himself as he thought that it was the time to have a little fun in the house.

  “I’m home,” Krystal called out randomly as she closed the door behind her. She was now ready to work on the garden outside her house but her mother was nowhere to found. She checked the kitchen and found a note sticked on the freezer by a magnet. Turns out, Mrs. Jung was out getting the things for the garden and won’t be back until later.

  Krystal just shrugged at the note and placed it back on the freezer and was about to go upstairs when suddenly Jessica stormed downstairs with something in her hands. Krystal recognized the item to be the music box and she quickly lurched forward to retrieve it. What did Jessica wanted to do with it? Krsytal thought as she held her sister’s hand.

  “What are you doing?” Krystal asked calmly after she saw Jessica’s expression; she looked terrified, like someone scared her to death—oh no, Krystal thought. Jongin must’ve done this, she then ringed in her mind. Why can’t it get enough of scaring Jessica out of her wits?

  “Leave out of this, Krystal—this thing deserves to be burned!” Jessica hissed as she yanked her arm away from Krystal. “You don’t know what happened earlier,” she snapped at her as Krystal looked at her confusingly. “Then tell me what happened before you even dare to throw it away!” Krystal tried to retrieve back her music box but Jessica drew it away from her.

  “You wanna know what happened? Well, when I was in the bathroom brushing my teeth and , when there's this random dude showed up in the mirror!" Jessica started explaining as Krystal let out an exasperated sigh, she knew Jongin has something to do with this.

  "Then I freaked out because I know mum and dad weren't home and how did a guy ended up in the bathroom?!" she demanded. "That's not just all," Jessica then added and Krystal looked at her curiously. "I heard this... thing," Jessica held up the music-box. "Playing music by itself like what the , Krystal?" her younger sister just sighed at her sister's harsh words.

  "Then when I went to check it out I saw the exact pair of eyes looking at me again from the mirror and I swear to you my heart skipped a beat," Krystal could hear how terrified Jessica was and she was very serious about throwing the music-box away. "This whole place has been haunted when you and your prickly hands played this thing," Jessica then exclaimed and pointed a finger at Krystal. "I'm going to get rid of it," she then said as she starts moving to the front door.

  "Jessica, wait!" Krystal held the crook of her sister's elbow and she was jerked back before she could move any further. "Don't get rid of it; I still want it!" Krystal pleaded to her sister. "For what? So you could enjoy the ghost haunting me? It may haunts me Krystal, but sooner or later it's gotta change it's target," Jessica snapped.

  "It won't haunt me," Krystal tried to explain as she hustled with her sister. "What do you mean it won't haunt you? What are you gonna do; befriend him?" Jessica dragged the music-box away from Krystal's reach. "That's the thing; it wants to be friends with me!" Krsytal finally said and Jessica's eyes widened at her. "What?"  She squinted her eyes at her sister, trying to cipher out what she's trying to say.

 "It... wants to be friends with me, that's why it won't haunt me," Krystal repeated and further explained. Jessica lowered her arm and looked at the music-box. "But you told me that you know nothing of the ghost," Jessica recalled what her sister said the other night, in disbelief that she lied to her. "That... was a lie; I didn't want you to get worried because of the ghost." Krystal then grabbed both of Jessica's hands, finally having her to listen.

 Krystal then told her everything from the start; the shadow on the wall, the writings, waking her up in the morning. "And you're not scared about it?" Jessica then later questioned her and Krystal shook her head. "It says that it knows me... but I don't know how or why he does," Krystal then explained. "He, you just referred it to a he," said Jessica flatly and Krystal rolled her eyes at her. "It used to be human, not a thing," she bickered with her sister.

 "Well, now that it knows and all, mind telling him to back off before I do an exorcism on him?" said Jessica coldly and Krystal just sighed at her. "Sure he could listen to me, but I don't know what he would say then," her eyes drifted on the music-box, tightly gripped in Jessica's hands. "He can't communicate with you?" Jessica then glanced at the music-box then back to her sister as she shook her head.

 "And I don't know how to let him communicate with me," Krystal pouted at the idea. Jessica suddenly gasped and that brought Krystal's attention back to her sister. "Tonight, we're going to a place of a friend of mine," said Jessica and Krystal was suprised by her sister's sudden enthusiasm. "She would be able to help; I know because she can—," "I'm home~," Mrs. Jung sang as she opened the front door and that made Jessica shut quickly. "Don't tell this to either mum or dad, we'll talk about this later," she quickly said to Krystal as she nodded profusely.

  "Get changed, dear, it's time to work at the gardens," said their mother as she pulled off the scarf aroud her neck and hung it on the rack. "Thank you," Krystal managed to say to her sister and gave her hand a little squeeze before retrieving the music-box back in her hands and started moving to the stairs."You're lucky Jessica believes me," said Krystal quietly at the music-box as Jongin who was trailing behind her quietly just smirked at her.

 "You're so cute talking to yourself," said Jongin quietly and shook his head at Krystal's action.

  "Daddy, can I borrow the car for a while?" Jessica asked—no, pleaded to her father as he was watching the sports channel. "What do you want with it?" he questioned her, eyes still on the TV screen. "Well," Jessica then started getting comfortable as she sat down on one of the lazy chair's armrest. "Since this is a new neighborhood and all, I thought I might take Krystal with me for a ride to get familliar with the place, big new place and all," she then emphasized and Mr. Jung peered her through his glasses.

 "And then later, we're going to get some latte since it's getting really chilly these days," Jessica then added, hoping that Mr. Jung would allow her. "Don't drive too fast and too far," he only said, his eyes back to the TV screen as Jessica grinned from ear to ear. "Thanks a lot, daddy! We'll be back later," she thanked her father as she pecked her father's cheek and trotted off to her sister's room upstairs. "Let's go, bring that thing along; it won't work unless you didn't," she knocked lightly on her sister's open door.

  After a while, the two sisters came down dressed in warm clothes and after Jessica asked for the car keys, they dashed out of the house and started up the car. "Where are we going actually?" Krystal asked as she fastens her seatbelt and Jessica was adjusting the front

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter