Direct Hit

The Broken Music-Box
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  Once Krystal reached home after school, Jongin immediately came out of the music-box and looked at Krystal furiously.”What were you thinking when you decided to blame Yixing?!” he yelled at her and she flinched a bit. Krystal knew this was coming, so she was prepared but not enough to deal with it and to answer. “Look, I’m sorry—it was the only lead we have,” Krystal then tried to reason with him but Jongin shook his head.

  “No—I thought that you all can handle this; solving this crime, but I guess I should have doubted you,” he then said to her coldly. Doubt; the only thing that made Krystal mad— it made her feel like she’s taking all the risks and if she fails, she’s the one to blame— it’s like she has no way around this and it’s  forced on to her. “Well, it’s not like you have any other choice, do you?” Krystal then questioned him back, assuming that Jongin’s perspective to them are not high school students, but professional investigators.

  “Yeah—well, because you’re the only ones that can communicate with me—“ “Then freaking be grateful about it! You can’t just complain just because we failed you once!” Krystal intervenes and Jongin scrunched up his face in disappointment. “Well, I’m sorry that only you’re the only ones that can help me,” he said with an ice-cold tone. That took Krystal back a little—she couldn’t think straight when she’s getting angry; as if she lost her tolerance towards forgiveness. “Then I wished I haven’t agreed to help you in the first place,” Krystal said through gritted teeth and tore off the pendant Victoria gave to her.

  And when she closes her eyes, she hopes that when she opens them back, Jongin would be gone and she couldn’t see him although she knows that he’s there. For once, Krystal wanted her normal life back—where she and her friends would be hanging out and get through school problems together, having her freestyle life back again would be much more entertaining to her now. But look what she’s gotten into right now; having to solve murder of someone that’s so-called to be her soul mate and if he doesn’t get peace, then she’ll die lonely.

  But Krystal admits that she’s not thinking straight and being immature, but Jongin has his wrong’s, too. And she also wished that she didn’t has to be the only one having to deal with Jongin’s fit just because of one mistake that doesn’t seem to go as they planned. Krystal wished that someone else could also take the blame as well because this is too unfair to her and her friends should be with her, too.

  But when she opens her eyes, it’s as if the world is totally against her for today. Jongin was still there, looking at her with a disapproving look. “Don’t you see, Krystal? Only you can help me,” he said with his icy cold tone. Krystal parted her lips to say something, but no words came out and by then, Jongin shook his head disappointingly and vanished back into his music box. Krystal couldn’t help it, she totally cried.

  Half an hour later, she still felt like crying, but she’s not going to stay in her room all day and just cry. She needed to confide to somebody, but she has no idea who to. Surely there are a lot of choices, but there are risks, too, if she wanted to confide. If it were her sister, she would obviously go all crazy about her love advices, so it’s safer not to tell her.

 As for her friends; Baekhyun won’t do any good because she would never hear the end of his I-told-you-so’s and endless lines of him telling her to ditch the idea. She wouldn’t dare to tell either Sulli and Luna because Luna is already stressed with the whole case and she probably won’t have the patience to hear out Krystal and giving her advice at the same time. Sulli is such an air-head, Krystal would have to explain to her twice if she confided to her. So it’s either Kyungsoo or Chen, but both aren’t exactly the safest bet. Kyungsoo would probably go on and on about how it’s natural that couples would get into an argument, and she came to him to hear her out, not attending the motivational class. She wouldn’t dare to confide about Jongin to Chen because that’s his own blood and flesh and she doesn’t want to hurt his feelings.

  So, who would be the better choice to confide? Krystal leaned back on the wall in her room as she recalled back the people that she knows and trust, but she just realized that she only trusts so little people. Her eyes gazed onto the music-box and feels guilty about what she did and said to Jongin but it is his fault, too. Then her eyes drifted to the pendant on the floor not far from the music-box and she widened her eyes. She stood up and picked up the pendant as she grabbed her purse and left her room.

  She stormed downstairs and went outside only to see Chen outside and wiping his motorcycle and she approached him. “Hey,” Krystal called him and he looked up only to see her and lifted one corner of his mouth. “Did I forgot to give back your pen or something?” he jokes to her and Krystal just chuckled at him. At least Chen’s know how to make her smile again even in the midst of hardship. “No, I just need your help,” Krystal only said and Chen just nodded at her. “Name it, I’ll help,” he agreed to help her.

  “You know the street where Victoria lives at, right?”

  So Krystal rode on the back of Chen’s motorbike as they dashed to the ghetto side of the town and Krystal wrapped her arms around tightly around Chen’s waist because of her small experience of riding the back of someone’s motorcycle, she was so afraid that she would fall off or get into a road accident. But Chen acts as if he has wings and rides into the sunset (literally).

  To Krystal’s surprise, Chen didn’t question her about what happened earlier today, but at least he knows his place not to question her about why she wanted to go to Victoria’s. For once, Krystal forgot all about Jongin, which is a good thing because she needs to be back in her normal life again, even just for a few hours. But she couldn’t ignore the gaping inside of her (metaphorically) but it’s also easy to ignore because of how fast Chen is dashing on the road. Krystal could only hope that they would get toVictoria’s sooner or later with this kind of speed.

  After 15 minutes holding on at the back of Chen’s motorbike, they finally arrived at the alleyway where Victoria’s place is at. Chen even helped Krystal get off his bike because she was shriveling like a leaf. “Can’t you take it easy on the way back?” Krystal asked him nicely but Chen just shrugged and gave her a small smile. “Live life to the fullest, you know?” he just said and Krystal gave him a look.

  “I’ll be in for not so long—maybe ten minutes tops,” Krystal then told him and handed her helmet to him and he just nodded. “No problem; I’ll just look around here,” Chen assured and Krystal gave him a thoughtful smile and thanked him before she walked in front of Victoria’s door and knocked on it nervously. This is the first time going here alone, and she’s a bit nervous because her sister isn’t here with her. It took a few seconds before Victoria opened the door and Krystal was shocked by her appearance.

  Victoria still wore her traditional shaman outfit but her hair was disheveled and the folds on her dress were coming lose like she just got saved from a hurricane. “Hi, Krystal; what a pleasant surprise!” she greeted her in her always cheerful attitude. “You don’t look okay; can I come in another time?” Krystal then asked her politely but Victoria immediately shook her head. “I’m fine—a client just left a while ago and it’s far by the worst I’ve encountered because I look like a mess! But overall, I am fine,” Victoria assured her and Krystal just nodded at her slowly.

  “Please, come in!” Victoria opened the door and let  Krystal in before she closed it behind her and lead her to not into one of her usual working rooms, but into one of the rooms far from the front door. Victoria slided the door open and Krystal looked around to see that the interior looked like a tea ceremony room. “Please, have a seat,” Victoria assured and Krystal nodded as Victoria sat in front of her. “Won’t you like some tea?” Victoria then asked her and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter