Alternated Reflections

The Broken Music-Box
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

  Back in the car, after their session with Victoria, Krystal just stayed quiet after Jongin had replied her call. She was speechless once she has the ability to speak to the spirit and is clueless of what to say to him. Each time she tries to initiate a conversation, she decides to hold back her tongue and stayed quiet.

  Jessica noticed this and while they were driving back to their neighborhood, she just had to talk to her about it. “I know you’re nervous about your new specialty and everything and that you can’t get used to it now, but still, take your time to start speaking to him,” she said to her as she gave her a side-glance.”I was just like you when I first started talking to boys,” she chuckled at the memory.

  “It was so awkward, like they tried to talk to me but I just kept being shy but slowly, I got used to it since the boys tried to talk to me almost every day,” she rolled her eyes at the thought of it.”You made it sound like you’re the class belle or something,” Krystal snickered at her but Jessica just scoffed.

  “Nah, I got the attention just because it was my first day at school after I transferred from America; you were still little back then so you probably don’t remember,” Jessica pointed out and Krystal just nodded. “So, you get what I’m trying to say? You don’t have to start talking to him instantly, just take some time of your own until you’re finally ready, okay?” Jessica advised her.

  “Yeah, I will,” Krystal agreed as she glanced at Jongin at the backseat who was looking at her shyly from the front mirror. “Oh, right—we better get some latte if you want daddy to believe us that we actually went out to get some,” Jessica suddenly remembered as she turned over the corner and into the shops area.

  Krystal sat on her bed, looking at Jongin nervously as he was perched on her study table’s chair as he opened his mouth a few times, trying to talk to her, but closed again quickly. Krystal took a deep breath as she opened , finally able to let out the words she planned out in her mind. “T-this could get more awkward,” she started off first as she scratched her head and a thin line formed on Jongin’s lips.

  “I… suppose this is our first official conversation,” he said and his voice made Krystal’s spine shivered. “Then, we should start with our introduction then, huh?” Krystal suggested sheepishly as she huddled in her blanket and Jongin stared at the floor. “Yeah… yeah that should do okay,” he said nervously as he nodded a bit.

  “Well… my full name is Jung Soojung, but I go by my English name, Krystal and everybody calls me that,” Krystal introduced herself by her own will. “I was born on--,” “24th of October,” Jongin finished for her and her eyes widened. “How did you—““The Krystal during my lifetime also has the same birth date, too,” he informed and Krystal nodded knowingly. “And what about you; I only know your name,” Krystal stated.

  “Well, since you already know my name…” he shrugged as he flew away from the chair and went towards Krystal’s bed as he stood beside one of the bed posts. “I was born on the 14th of January 1979,” he informed and Krystal shot her head up. “1979? How old were you when you died?” Krystal suddenly asked him and Jongin just scratched his head.

  “17, I guess… I was just about to graduate high school back then,” he then explained as Krystal worked out the math in her head. “So… you died on the year 1996? Oh my gosh, that explains that scrap of paper in the music-box!” she fisted her palm as she recalled what she found when she examined it. “Okay, at least you got that figured it out,” Jongin then nodded at her statement.

 “Oh, yeah—who are you? When you were alive, anyways,” she added as she wondered about his past. “I… was a dancer, I think… that’s what I remember the most of this afterlife,” he started as Krystal nodded, assuring him to continue as she just listens to him carefully. “I think that Chinese man, the one who killed me, had to do something with me dancing… about some scholarship to an art school in China, I think,” Jongin explained as he tried to remember his rusty memories.

  “Then who was I in your life?” Krystal later asked and that’s when Jongin looked at her calmly. “You were always there for me—you balance everything in my daily timetable,” he explained happily. “We were so happy, you left a big spot on my life and I knew I couldn’t live without you,” he said as his eyes drifted onto the bed’s duvet. “I never knew that I was the one who had to leave her—I’ve always thought that wherever I go, she goes as well… but I guess I was wrong,” he said in a sad tone.

  “I don’t know if she’s out there, or is dead already…” his words trailed off as it was painful for him to remember everything about her. “But now that I met you, I know that you just have to help me,” he said in a pleading tone as Krystal would assist to help. “What… what do I have to do?” she asked him,

  “Help me find my body; you won’t be able to meet me from this time if my soul won’t rest in peace,” he stated as Krystal gulped. “If you didn’t find my body, then I’m afraid I would be ceased to exist from then now,” Jongin explained in a scared tone. Krystal knew what she has to do but the problem is…

  She doesn’t know where to start.

  “Mum, my friends asked me to if they could come over and see the house,” said Krystal to her mother next morning as she was flipping pancakes in the kitchen. “When did they say they wanted to come?” she asked without looking at her, still focusing on h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter