Past Tragedies

The Broken Music-Box
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Thanks for letting me stay; goodbye!” said Haejin quickly as she rolled up her window as her parents sped up from the porch and away from their house. “She’s gotten weirder every year,” Jessica commented as she put her hand down after waving them goodbye. “She was the same as always last night?” Krystal shrugged, weirded out by their cousin’s sudden change of attitude.

  “Maybe Jongin did something to her,” Jessica gasped and looked at her sister dramatically as she just tilted her head and looked at her annoyingly. “If he did, then bless his soul,” she only said and Jessica chuckled at Krystal’s comment. “Too bad we’ll be seeing her again later this Thanksgiving,” said Jessica sadly.

  “Don’t worry, we’ll get Jongin to do something about her next,” said Krystal mischievously as Jessica nodded in agreement. “That ghost isn’t a robot that would do everything you’ll say, you know,” they both heard a voice on the other side of their fence. “I’m not going to force him into anything or something,” said Krystal as Chen was leaning on their fence, smirking at their direction.

  “I assure you that dear late Kim Jongin won’t be pleased if you did,” Chen just shrugged at them as Krystal folded her arms at him. “How do you know about Uncle Jongin?” piped up another voice in the background. “Wow,” was all Jessica managed to say when she saw who the voice belonged to behind Chen. He turned around to see a fit man, about her age, walking over him holding what looks like a heavy box.

  “O-oh, hyung,” Chen only managed to say as he scratched his head. “I asked you—how did you know Uncle Jongin? He was ceased when you’re still an infant,” said the man as he put the box down but Chen suddenly laughed a bit. “Oh, don’t be rude, hyung! Meet our new neighbor that moved in last week; that’s Krystal and Jessica,” Chen playfully slung an arm across his shoulders and pointed at the girls. Krystal just quirked up the corners of into a smile and waved awkwardly as Jessica looked at him shyly and waved as well.

  “Uh… I’m Kim Jonghyun, I’m Jongdae’s older brother,” Jonghyun waved a bit at them. “He’s the one that we saw on moving day!” Jessica hissed excitingly in Krystal’s ear. “Nice to meet you,” said Jessica cheerfully as she flashed him one of her infamous smiles and he smiled back at her and when he did, Jessica wanted to squeal like a little girl she was.

  “Back to the question, how do you know Uncle Jongin?” Jonghyun fixed his gaze on his younger brother as Chen just gaped his mouth. “Uh… I overheard mum and dad talking about it the other day,” Chen lied, trying to sound as natural as possible. Jonghyun cocked an eyebrow at him and Chen nodded, assuring him that it’s the truth.

  “Who’s Uncle Jongin?” Krystal wondered, could it be that it’s just another man that shares the same name as Jongin or is it really the ghost, Jongin. “Um…” Jonghyun trailed off with his words, feeling very reluctant about telling two strangers about his deceased uncle. “Don’t get us wrong—we’re not being nosy or anything just… curious,” Jessica explained as she walked closer to the fence as Krystal followed her.

  “I would like to tell you all about my late Uncle Jongin, but not here—please, come inside,” said Jonghyun as he ushered them both. Jessica and Krystal went out of their gates and into the Kim’s house. “Aren’t your parent’s home?” Krystal asked Chen and he shook his head. “Mom dragged dad along a shopping trip and won’t be back until later,” he explained as he let Krystal and Jessica sit on the sofa in the living room.

  “Uncle Jongin… was a great man; sadly he passed away very young,” Jonghyun started as he sighed sadly and the two sisters exchanged glances. “No—not passed away, more like murdered,” he said vengefully. “I was so young when he died but when I heard that someone killed him, it left me a big scar in my heart,” Jonghyun explained as a thin line formed on Jessica’s lips.

  “How old were you when he died?” she bravely asked him as his eyes flicked upon hers. “Too young, about six and a half, I think,” said Jonghyun as Chen looked at him confusingly. “How come you never told me about him?” he asked him. “Mom told me not to say about it to you otherwise you’ll get curious and none of us in this family wants to relive that history,” said Jonghyun sternly as Chen nodded profusely.

  “I’m sorry about your family’s loss—he must’ve meant a lot to you all,” said Krystal in a quaint tone and Jonghyun nodded at her, accepting her condolences. “He’s the greatest uncle I’ve had… no one could replace him,” he said with glassy eyes and Jessica cleared . “Well, our condolence goes to you and your whole family,” said Jessica as she stood up from the sofa. “Thank you for sharing that—hopefully we could be good friends,” Jessica flashed a smiled at him and Jonghyun gave her a little smile and nodded.

  “Yeah… we could,” he said and Jessica just wanted to jump and squeal happily because of that. As much as she was intrigued that Jongin is actually his uncle and is related to Chen’s family, she can’t believe that she managed to see that hot guy again after a week moving in! Major score! Jessica cheered silently in her mind as Krystal stood up beside her.

  “We should be going now, thanks again,” said Krystal as they all walked to the front door to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter