Gathering

Chasing Perfection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Gathering

 

 

Joonmyeon and Yixing were in the kitchen, making a nice, healthy-sized plate of meat with as many side dishes as they could possibly make.

The door clicked open, then shut. Joonmyeon poked his head out of the kitchen, his eyes landing on the tall form belonging to Kris, with Luhan and Sehun behind him. He called, “So how’s Andi doing?” Joonmyeon asked, wiping his spice-covered hands on his apron.

Kris shrugged noncommittally. “She says she’s fine, and she’s making dinner now. Jimin’s with her, so Chanyeol should be here within the hour.” Joonmyeon nodded and proceeded to return to his dinner, wanting it to be as delicious as possible. “By the way, Jongin, Kyungsoo, Sehun, and Tao should be here quick, too. Tao just texted me when I was on the phone. They’ll be… ten minutes.”

“Sounds good. Can you help set the table?”

One by one, as the five continued to make dinner and, in Kris’ case, set the table and turn on some music, the rest of the boys trickled in. Jongdae, Minseok, and their third roommate, Tao, came in, a huge number of beer bottles in their hands.

Joonmyeon, Luhan, and Kris’ jaws dropped, seeing the amount of alcohol in their friends’ hands. “Are you serious?!” Joonmyeon demanded, arms crossed.

Minseok snickered, grinning cheekily. “C’mon, Joonie, don’t be such a killjoy. Last time we all drank together was at Kris, Luhan, and my graduation. And that was because it was Kris’ idea.”

Joonmyeon rolled his eyes. “Fine. Go put them in the fridge, but don’t touch my pudding.” Minseok perked up at the word “pudding.” Joonmyeon sent him a glare, warning him. “I made that for dessert, so don’t touch my pudding, Minseok.” The bun scowled at his younger friend.

Almost fifteen minutes later, Kyungsoo and Jongin showed up, Jongin ranting about how Hanbyul had beat him again. “This !” he proclaimed. “She won’t look at me if I don’t win!”

It was a first for Joonmyeon, hearing Jongin, who was always so calm and collected, ranting and raving over a girl who was probably the first to reject him. He was amazed that Kyungsoo was able to deal with the crazed dancer.

“Yes, yes, Jongin. You’re in love with Hanbyul, I get it,” Kyungsoo deadpanned.

Scratch that.

Not even Kyungsoo could deal with his overdramatic, eccentric friend.

Joonmyeon leaned forward, eyes twinkling a little. It’d been a while since he was able to mess with Jongin a little. “Or you could try and impress her.” Jongin raised an eyebrow. “You could challenge her to a dance battle in ballet, you know.”

Jongin rolled his eyes. “She does modern, hyung. She’d kick my , then wipe the floor with my face,” he drawled sarcastically as he shrugged his jacket off, casually tossing it onto the couch.

“Oh. Well, in that case, you’re screwed. Unless… I have a genius plan!” Joonmyeon exclaimed.

Raising his eyebrow once more, Jongin slowly asked, “What is it, hyung?” He sounded so bored with Joonmyeon’s antics.

Joonmyeon grinned. “You ask her out?” he suggested lightly, smiling teasingly at his younger friend.

In response, Jongin casually walked over to the couch, collapsing on it. He kicked his feet up and made himself at home, flipping through the channels as both Kyungsoo and Tao decided to sit next to him. Joonmyeon blinked in confusion. Then, quick as a blink, Jongin tossed his jacket right into the elder’s face.

“Oof!”

“ off, hyung.”

Joonmyeon laughed at his friend, chortling as he strolled back into the kitchen. Jongin yelled after him, promising to ensure his early demise, while Kyungsoo attempted to calm him. Tao merely proceeded to laugh loudly.

The door suddenly swung open. “The party has truly arrived!” Chanyeol exclaimed as he practically pranced into the apartment. “I brought beer and I brought movies!” He paused, then added, “And I brought Baekhyun, but you don’t have to be excited about that.”

All eyes turned to the smaller boy, who seemed to shrink even more under the glare of his former friends. His gaze fell to the floor as he shuffled his feet uncomfortably in the thick silence that seemed to suffocate everyone in the house. Baekhyun opened his mouth to say something, but seemed to think better of it and piped down, rubbing his arm in discomfort. Joonmyeon looked around at his friends, all of whom still seemed disappointed in Baekhyun.

It was Yixing who spoke next. He crossed his arms, looking sternly at Baekhyun. “Well, since you’re here, you might as well stay,” he conceded, refusing to look at Baekhyun any longer than he had to.

“Welcome to the party, man-,” Jongin greeted coldly. He moved towards the fridge, grabbing a beer from its place on the shelf. He popped it open, grumbling, “Way to kill the mood.”

Baekhyun seemed to deflate with those words, causing Kyungsoo to nudge his friend and roommate. “C’mon,” the owl-eyed boy muttered, “be nice to him, Jongin,” to which Jongin merely scoffed, sending Baekhyun another dark look.

Joonmyeon heaved a sigh, turning to go back to the kitchen.

As he did, he felt a pair of eyes staring into his back.

He turned, just a bit, to see Baekhyun looking straight at him, a flame of regret and guilt in his eyes.

 

 

 

Baekhyun stayed quiet throughout the entire dinner.

Even though the atmosphere was warm and laughter filled the air, it was impossible for him to even get a word in to the conversation. He hadn’t seen his friends in almost a month. Not that it was their fault, it was mostly his. He pushed them aw

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter