A Lack of Sleep

Chasing Perfection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A Lack of Sleep

 

 

He felt like he’d been sleeping for years, but he’d never felt so tired in his life.

All he wanted was to open his eyes. He could feel the rest of his senses slowly returning to him, like he’s awaking from the dead. He felt something soft under his fingertips. He heard voices coming from far away. He smelled the smells of chemicals and floor cleaner. But he couldn’t see anything.

Slowly, but surely, he felt that his eyelids were becoming less of a weight. That they’d be easier to open.

So, he tried. He pulled his eyes open.

The first thing he saw was white. All white.

He tried to move his head, but he felt stiff. His body was tense and it hurt to move. Instead, he stretched his fingers, feeling his bones crack.

Beeping.

A heart monitor.

As feeling returned to his skin, he winced at the knowledge that there were needles in his arm. Almost as soon as he could, he ripped the sharp objects from his veins and dropped them.

A loud, shrill beep pierced the air, like an alarm.

But he didn’t care.

Nam Woohyun had woken up.

 

 

 

Hyesung was still sleeping.

To say Joonmyeon was worried was perhaps a little too subtle to describe how he was feeling. It’d already been over eighteen hours since she’d been recovered, safe and sound, but Junsu had said that she should’ve woken up in an hour at the most.

Eighteen long, drawn out, torturous hours had passed, and she wasn’t awake yet.

Kris could practically see Joonmyeon’s hair turning gray with worry and impatience. He half wanted to laugh, but also half wanted to punch Joonmyeon into sleeping.

“She’s going to wake up,” he drawled sleepily, crossing his arms. Joonmyeon was sipping at his coffee, rocking back and forth to keep sleep away from him. He hadn’t slept or even left the hospital room since Hyesung was admitted. “You realize that she’s going to wake up, right?”

Joonmyeon groaned. “But what if she doesn’t?!” he whined, fretting over every possible outcome there was, good and bad. “What if she never wakes up? I don’t think I could deal with that!” He pulled at his hair, and Kris swore he saw tears in his friend’s eyes.

Suddenly thinking about how he would feel if it was Andi on the hospital bed, laying unconscious after being abducted by his family, Kris felt his heart go out to Joonmyeon. Although Joonmyeon was so emotional all the time, he was always still strong. He’d never freaked out like this before, at least not in front of Kris. He’d always handled things strongly. He hadn’t even freaked out like this when Jinri had left him for Baekhyun.

But seeing Hyesung asleep, with the prospect that she was hurting, that was what drove Joonmyeon insane to rant and rave.

And Kris knew, right there and then, that Joonmyeon really was in love with Hyesung.

At first, when Joonmyeon had first introduced Hyesung to the group properly, as his prospective girlfriend, Kris had been somewhat reserved. He knew that Hyesung was the e who had so greatly intrigued Joonmyeon.

He slowly, over the eight months that the two were technically together, he saw how Joonmyeon looked at Hyesung and how Hyesung looked at Joonmyeon. He saw the sincere affection between both of them. But he could honestly say that in that hospital room, he saw love that Joonmyeon held for his girlfriend.

Kris understood what had Joonmyeon so worried.

“Joonmyeon.” The younger looked up at Kris, who had stood and placed a hand on his shoulder. Kris managed a soft smile. “You can’t be worried. She’ll wake up if you know she’s going to be okay,” he suggested, rubbing Joonmyeon’s shoulder soothingly.

The younger managed his own small smile. “I’ll do my best, hyung. Thank you.”

A knock on the door caused them both to look towards the hall to where Jaejoong was standing. He had a look on his face that made Joonmyeon’s heart drop. He looked serious, like something had just gone wrong.

“Joonmyeon.” He entered the room, giving Kris a look. The blond seemed to know what Jaejoong was trying to tell him and left the room without a word.

Joonmyeon seemed to flinch. “W-What’s wrong?” he asked.

Heaving a sigh, the doctor took off his glasses. “Nam Woohyun is awake, and he’s asking for his baby sister.”

 

 

 

“ you! Get your ing hands away from me! Where’s mom?! Dad?! Hye?!”

Woohyun struggled in the arms of the doctors, pulling away and sending them all wicked glares when they attempted to approach them. He wanted answers, he didn’t want to be sedated and tested

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter