Red Light

Chasing Perfection
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Red Light

 

 

“What… did you just say?”

Kim Joonmyeon stared at his girlfriend – now ex-girlfriend – Choi Jinri, shock and hurt written all over his pale face. She fidgeted uncomfortably underneath his intense gaze, not knowing how to respond.

“I…”

Joonmyeon’s best friend – now ex-best friend – Byun Baekhyun gripped Jinri’s hand tighter. She squeezed back.

“We’re in love. Jinri doesn’t want to be with you anymore.”

If one listened closely, Joonmyeon was sure that they would hear his heart cracking.

His girlfriend of three years now… was dumping him for his best friend, who he’d known since they were both just children. Under the same circumstances, most would be intensely hurt, some would even go as far as to punch their best friend in the face. No one would react calmly.

But Joonmyeon, being Joonmyeon, just smiled.

“I’m happy for the both of you.”

His smile was fake and his words were empty. But what could he do? What could he say? He couldn’t get mad. He loved them with all his heart. Baekhyun was his best friend and Jinri was the love of his life.

Jinri only stared, concerned for him. Baekhyun faltered, not expecting the reaction he got, but also expecting it at the same time. He knew that Joonmyeon was too soft, far too kind, to get angry at him, let alone her. Baekhyun knew his friend well, better than perhaps anyone else.

He almost felt sorry for helping Jinri cheat on Joonmyeon, sorry for breaking his best friend’s heart.

“Joon-”

Before Baekhyun could even say a word, Joonmyeon had turned away, his smile faltering as soon as they couldn’t see it. He began to walk away, ignoring Baekhyun calling his name. The hot tears stung his eyes, but he’d rather them sting than escape. He no longer wanted to appear weak. But he needed something… something to keep him from completely losing his mind.

Pulling his phone out of his pocket, Joonmyeon dialed the number he’d always relied on during times like this.

“Hey, Joonmyeon, what’s up?”

“Hyung…”

“... what’s wrong?”

“She cheated, Kris hyung. Jinri… she cheated… with Baekhyun.”

“... where are you?”

“Hongdae.”

“I’m coming to get you. Give me ten minutes.”

The line went dead after that.

Joonmyeon sighed, tucking his smartphone in his back pocket. That was just like Kris. His friend offered no encouragement, no pity, just told him that he’d meet him somewhere.

He shoved his hands in his pockets, kicking at the concrete as he continued to walk. He walked past high schoolers, groups of them giggling or chatting amongst themselves. A frown pulled at Joonmyeon’s lips. He almost missed being a careless teenager like they were. They didn’t have to worry about anything in the future like college students did.

Life was cruel.

Growing up was cruel.

Everything was cruel.

It was hard for Joonmyeon, growing up like he had.

Sure, he’d been given everything that he wanted for a good majority of his life, but the amount of scars his wealth had left him with were too great for someone his age to bear. His entire body was left with dozens of scars from dozens of different people.

And now, Joonmyeon could add two more scars to his history – Choi Jinri and Byun Baekhyun.

“Hey, Joonmyeon.”

He froze in his walk, turning to see the source of the voice. Kris sat in his big black SUV, the passenger seat the only seat empty. Kris wore a small smile, but Joonmyeon could see the pity in his friend’s eyes.

And he hated it.

Despite that, he nodded, clambering into the front seat, next to Kris. He nodded to the six other boys, Chanyeol, Jongdae, Luhan, Minseok, and Yixing, all of whom nodded back. No one said a word.

Joonmyeon nearly scoffed. It was like they didn’t know what to say.

They could’ve said anything they damn well pleased. Anything.

It was the silence that killed.

“… well, where are we going?” Luhan finally asked, his voice seeming a little meek compared to his usual boisterous laughter that almost never stopped. Everyone turned to look at him, Chanyeol shushing him without words. Luhan blinked his doe eyes, wondering just what it was that he said.

Joonmyeon’s head fell back against the car seat, heaving a great sigh. He ran his fingers through his hair.

“I need a drink. Blue Moon Bar anyone?” he offered, looking back at his friends.

Jaws dropped.

Joonmyeon was the one who was the most responsible out of all of them. He was the goody-two-shoes to their irresponsible asses, constantly using his words to beat some sense into them. If he could help it, none of them would drink, none of them would have had premarital , none of them would’ve done drugs.

Okay, that last one was a one time thing (blame Jongdae), but still…

The fact that it was Kim Joonmyeon offering the idea of a drink astonished all.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter