Creaking and Creeping

Entrapped: Sun and Moon
XSYKOTICA
Entrapped: Sun And Moon - Creaking and Creeping

It was late evening by the time he arrived, the sun just dipping below the horizon, casting long shadows on the pavement and sending brilliant pink skies to hover overhead. Baekho didn’t notice as he parked his car and jumped from the seat and dashed eagerly to the door. Just as he was about to knock he suddenly remembered and dashed back to his car, fixing his hair in the side mirror. So preoccupied with is looks and hopes, he failed to notice the obvious signs the house presented. Fading paint, torn roof, overgrown lawn. All the indicators of abandonment and neglect but Baekho didn’t see. Noticing the doorbell was broken, hanging from wires, he chose to knock instead. Lifting the heavy metal knocker he allowed it to swing onto the door with a large boom.

From inside he heard a faint voice call, “It’s unlocked,” and in his delusion he allowed himself to believe that this was Minhyun’s voice. Perhaps a little higher, a little sweeter in tone, but Minhyun all the same. And so Baekho swung the door open, ignoring the omnous creek, and bounded into the house. The door swung shut behind him and Baekho glanced around, seeing no one. Only then did his instincts finally alert him with a prickle at the back of his neck.

“H-Hello?” he called out, hearing his voice echo in the barren house. Clearly no one had lived here in quite some time. Why would Minhyun have called him here? He took a few steps furthur, disturbing the dust which rose in clouds about his feet, swirling through the air. He had heard a voice…saying the door was unlocked. But had that really been Minhyun?

“Hello?” He called once more, feeling a shiver crawl up his spine and he spun at the sound of a squeaking floorboard behind him. He darted his eyes around, only now realizing just how much he had assumed from a simple letter.

“You’ll have to wait a few moments, I’m afraid,” spoke a soft voice and Baekho jumped in surprise, now more scared than ever as he could not seem to find the source of the voice. He wasn’t going to wait around any longer, he knew now that wasn’t Minhyun’s voice. He didn’t know whose voice it was. He rushed for the door, jerking at the worn, old and decrepit handle. It wouldn’t budge. Wouldn’t even turn.

“Don’t try to run,” the voice whispered softly, and Baekho couldn’t even begin to hear the sadness which filled the voice without a source. Baekho jerked at the door, kicked and pounded, growing more frantic by the second as the voice continued to plead,

“Baekho, don’t do this. Don’t try to run from me – I can’t let you,” it murmured and Baekho panicked as he felt a breeze brush past him, ignoring the gentle swoosh for what it was and preferring to be terrified out of his mind.

“What are you! Let me go! Let me out!” he screamed, hoping someone would here,

“I can’t. It’s enchanted, this house. No one will hear you cry or scream, no one save me. You, quite literally, cannot leave this house. But that’s ok,” the voice sounded so heartbreakingly hopeful but Baekho didn’t care, hair standing on end, he wanted out and he wanted out now! He didn’t care what this – this voice wanted! He wanted to go home, craved suddenly his boring life. He had been content with that, he should never have sought more, “That’s ok,” the voice continued, there merest breath ghosting over the back of Baekho’s neck, “Because I can’t leave either.” 

 

A/N: Happy Thanksgiving to all Americans out there!!! I only had time to post this, and now I've got to get back to my dinner-making!