Asked and Answered

Entrapped: Sun and Moon
XSYKOTICA
Entrapped: Sun And Moon - Asked and Answered

Baekho had asked for one thing from Minhyun. For love. Baekho had grown up an only child, been sheltered into adulthood, and gone to work at a menial job for menial pay. He hadn’t had any ambitions, and had no desire to gain any. He was as perfectly normal as was normal to be. He didn't do anything on the weekends and he hardly did anything on the weekdays either. He was boring, and he accepted it. Until he met Minhyun. 

Minhyun was an saint, an enigma, a mythical creature who had appeared for but a small, short while. Minhyun had showed him life, life in general, and how to enjoy it. They had done everything together. Until one day Minhyun had up and left, leaving behind a man who loved him still, who now suffered from a broken heart. Baekho was left with a new job, expensive apartment, and tickets to concerts he didn't want. Minhyun had turned him into someone different, someone he had enjoyed being. Only to sink back into who he was underneath once he had left. Baekho hadn't wanted to be this way, not now, he wanted that better attitude and sense of accomplishment and enjoyment. Instead he was stuck as his old self, with no idea what to do about anything without Minhyun to guide him.

He wandered the streets after his work, where he still didn’t understand what he was supposed to do. He typed, he presented, he banged his head against the desk, but he didn’t even know what product the company was trying to sell. It was so, so incredibly frustrating. He didn’t know what to do with his life anymore, it was so…empty. Minhyun had showed him a world he could have, but without him he had no idea how to find that drive any longer. He realized he had nothing to do…Oh why had Minhyun had to leave him? He remembered it so clearly, even now…

“Baekho…hun…,” he was tapping insistently on his shoulder while Baekho went over the documents he was reviewing for the next day. Baekho looked up with a smile, thrilled to have a distraction from the monotony. He pulled the other down for a quick kiss on the lips, not noticing the other’s lack of response.

“Minnie,” he smiled cheerfully, patting the spot on the couch beside him. He had just bought the apartment, complete with new furniture. 67th floor with a gorgeous view of Seoul and a park across the street. Good if they ever had kids, good if they ever had business people over, good for just the two them to be together. His smile slipped slightly at the serious expression on Minhyun’s face, “Min…what is it?”

“Baekho…Umm…I don’t know how to say this,” he huffed, a crinkle appearing between his brows. Baekho leaned over to smooth it out but Minhyun tilted away. And that was when Baekho finally realized what was happening. He’d seen it in all the dramas, read it in all the books and manga. He had never anticipated this, not from Minhyun. He backed off, feeling a wave of sadness and surprising anger crash over him,

“I don’t think we should be together. I think we should break up,” Minhyun’s words confirmed his suspicions,

“What did I do?” Baekho asked, anger quickly slipping away, replaced with pure, overwhelming defeat. Alone. He was going to be alone once more.

“You didn’t do anything…I just think…we aren’t right for each other,” the age old excuse.

“What’s not right about us? Haven’t you been happy?” Baekho certainly had been, more excited to greet the day than he ever had before.

“Yes, yes of course!” Minhyun refused to look up and Baekho reached out a hand to pull his face around to look at him. He still managed to avoid his gaze, molten chocolate eyes drifting to the floor, anywhere but to meet his eyes, “I just…I think…I think we’re too different –“

“Minhyun! I can change, I have been changing! Why, is there someone else?” His heart clenched at the very thought that he might have been played this entire time.

“No!” Minhyun protested vehemitely, eyes wide, “No, I would never, ever do that. Least of all to you. You’re too good, too nice, for anyone to do that too,” he whispered, and was that a glaze of tears Baekho saw over his eyes? If Minhyun was so torn up over this, why was he doing it? Baekho was so beyond confused and hurt, but Minhyun was continuing,

“There isn’t anyone else…but I think that you are meant for someone else.”

“Are you claiming that I’m cheating on you? With whom? Who have I ever been in contact with aside from you? In case you haven’t noticed I hardly talk with anyone except you!” Baekho finally found the anger that had abated, and he showered it upon the other, leaping up from the couch and pacing around frantically.

“No! I’m not saying that you idiot!”
“Oh, so now I’m an idiot? Is that it? I’m not smart enough for you, don’t have the same fancy degree?”

“That’s not what I meant!”
“Then what is it Minhyun, just spit it out! I can’t know what to fix until you tell me!”

“I can’t!” Minhyun yelled back and silence fell, “There’s nothing you can fix,” Minhyun finally spoke, before turning on his heel, grabbing his coat as he passed by. He turned tearfully at the last second, and that film of tears had turned into a torrent. Baekho couldn’t even begin to understand, and he was too angry to try. He watched as the door closed behind the boy, loud sobs lingering as he heard him walk away. Baekho sat back heavily on his couch.

In a daze he picked up the documents he had been working on, returning them to his lap. He picked up his pencil, unseeing, marking off a sentence, not knowing if it was truly a mistake at all. If he could just put everything back in place, do exactly what he was doing, perhaps Minhyun would be back. Time would reverse, everything would change.

He couldn’t understand. He had done everything Minhyun ever said, done his best to turn into the perfect man for him. Why…why hadn’t he been enough?

Baekho jerked awake on the subway, realizing he was at his stop. He rushed to gather his things and be on his way. He approached the mail boxes on his way into the apartments, stopping for a moment when he realized a note was attached to his box. Not inside his box, but taped to it. It was an odd note. Heavy parchment, with a singular blue ribbon tied in a bow. His name was written on the outside in a stunning display of calligraphy. Baekho would have thought it was a wedding invitation, except he hardly knew anyone at all, least of all someone actually fortunate enough to know someone to marry. He tossed it next to the rest of his mail and slowly broke the elegant blue wax seal on the back while he was in the elevator.

He frowned silently as he read the contents,

 

Dearest Baekho,

If you please, would you mind stopping by at the address below? Kamsamnida!

 

Below followed an address on the outskirts of Seoul, an actual house address, not an apartment. Baekho snorted, wondering who could think that he would follow some random stranger’s wishes. But then hope seized his heart. It couldn’t be…Minhyun, could it? Minhyun trying to get back together with him? In an instant he was back into his car, engine roaring to life as he plugged in the address with the GPS he had purchased during his time with Minhyun. It took several frustrating moments of finger tapping to get the device to work, but when it finally did, he was off. He didn’t stop to think of the rather formal language the letter contained, or the fact that it wasn’t at all Minhyun’s handwriting. Didn’t stop to think that it wasn’t Minhyun’s style at all to send a letter. He was too wrapped up in his own desires, his own wishes and wants.

He made himself believe that this was Minhyun, a Minhyun who wanted him back. He couldn’t have been more wrong.

 

A/N: So yet another BaekRen fic from me *le sigh* I just love writing for them, they're such a fun, multi-personality, dynamic pair <3 But I really want to give Json a try soon too...

Anyways, let me know what you think of the story so far!!!