8

Two Strings Attached

||||||||

Selina stopped as she walked through the doors. She turned back to look at the building…expecting…what?

“You ,” Selina scolded herself. “It would have been better if you left the same day you arrived.”

Selina walked away from the building to…wherever her legs would take her.

||||||||

Jiro stopped his car in front of a large tan house. He could tell her family was wealthy from just looking at the delicate home. The windows were lined with white frames that could easily be opened and closed. The door was made of expensive brown oak with stained glass windows at the top. Jiro figured that if the exteriors were so beautifully made the inside must be even more eye catching.

He stepped out of his car feeling nervous and walked up the steps. After the doorbell rang once the door was opened by a young lady.

“May I ask who you are?” she questioned eyeing him curiously.

Jiro assumed her to be the housekeeper or cleaning lady or something.

“I’m Jiro Wang,” Jiro told showing her his ID. “I want to speak with Mr. and Mrs. Tian.”

She seemed to ponder about whether she should let him in or not then finally stated, “Wait here.”

A moment later she returned and let him in. As he had expected the inside was much more eye catching. There were carvings of animals in the walls and they were made to  look so real. The walls were made of wood and the arc overhead leading into the next room had butterflies carved overhead, the house was filled with carvings, here and there. The floors were also of wood and neatly polished that even they shone a bit. Antique vases sat on tables at each door he passed. There was a huge painted family portrait that hung on the wall to the left of the staircase which led upstairs. It gave off a completely uncomfortable feeling. A family that had lost its own warmth.

“In this room here sir.”

Jiro followed her into a room behind closed doors. The room was a large one intended for important meetings. A huge glass table in the middle of the room with soft cushion chairs surrounding it along with a huge widescreen TV which sat in front of the table built into the wall. A long couch sat leaning against the closed wooden walls opposite it. No window at all in the room, it felt like a room meant to suffocate others. How had Hebe lived through it all?

“Please take a seat. Would you like anything to drink sir?”

“Nothing at all thank you.”

The lady nodded and walked out of the room gently closing the door after her that it made no sound. Jiro stared at the walls imagining a window and a dead backyard for some reason, maybe because of the vibe the house gave off.

“Hi,” a voice came.

Jiro turned in immediate surprise to find a tall white haired man making his way through the door followed by his wife whose hair was still black. Jiro guessed that she had dyed it.

“Sorry for the sudden intrusion,” Jiro apologized shaking Mr. Tian’s hand.

“Take a seat,” he said gesturing toward a chair at the glass table.

Jiro sat down. Both Hebe’s parents sat at the edge so they could look at each other.

“I heard you wanted to speak to us?” Mr. Tian asked.

“Is it something about the children?” Mrs. Tian questioned.

Her voice was completely soft and smooth that Jiro could imagine her singing or humming her children to sleep.

“Yes. I would like to ask some questions regarding the twins,” Jiro responded. “I’ll explain this briefly as to help me investigate this case further. I’ve also spoken with Hebe’s ex-husband who is no longer a suspect on my list.”

“Suspect? What do you mean?” Mr. Tian asked.

“You think he stole the children?” Mrs. Tian questioned with a shocked tone.

“That’s what I’ll explain. To do this I’m going to view every family member, as well as an outsider, as a considered suspect. Because even family members can be the ones behind the crime.” Jiro explained slowly.

“But we’ve never been treated like this by the other officers,” Mrs. Tian said feeling offended.

“Please calm down,” Jiro assured, “we’re not assuming that you’re a suspect, but considering. You can consider it as I can’t trust you until I can track down the mind master. So I’m here today because I hope you can help tell me by telling the truth honestly. Can you promise me you’ll cooperate with me?”

“This sounds like you’re pressuring us,” Mrs. Tian stated then glanced at her husband to guide her along. 

“I’m sorry but I really have no choice. We’ve lost all leads on the twins and going back to the family is the only thing I can do. Mrs. Tian’s family is the last hope I can think of because they live in town, Aaron’s family are all spread throughout China. Her children are just 3 year old twins, and I want to find them for the sake of their mother and for their own sake of a safe childhood. Please cooperate with me.” Jiro begged again.  

The two were silent for a long time exchanging glances and whispering to each other. Jiro watched with ease hoping his little speech and explaining did some magic.

“We promise,” Mr. Tian turned back to him.  

“Very well. I need you to explain to me about each and every person in your family. From aunts, uncles, cousins, and your very own family. I want to know details about each person’s personality, childhood, education, anything.”

||||||||

“Where’s Aaron?” the manager of the department asked walking into the office.

The rest looked around waiting for one another to speak.

“Maybe out for lunch.”

“Selina’s not back either.”

“Alright,” the manager said. “Well I’ve the next ph level trip ready.”

“Should we wait until Aaron comes back?”

“Just go ahead and tell us.”

“I’ve talked with the company about it and they’ll allow only 2 of our employees to go on this trip,” the manager told.

“Oh come on!”

“Why?!”

“I’m sorry but that’s the only reply I got back from them. I need you guys to nominate 2 people to go on this trip because they want a reply from us asap.” the manager explained.

“Only 2?”

“I think Ah Ken and Bai Er should go. They enjoy environmental studies.”

“Selina should go. It’ll help her gain experience for this job.”

“I agree!”

“Who else?”

“I really want to go!”

“What about Aaron?”

“I think I heard them arguing earlier. The 2 of them should go together and learn to get along.”

“Arguing? Really?”

“That’s a good idea. Aaron always lets us go whenever there’s a trip, so we should let him go this time. He might need this small vacation to relax.”

“We nominate Aaron and Selina.”

“Aaron and Selina? But Aaron can’t go. He’s team manager.” the manager pointed out.

The others looked around.

“We’re just working on marketing right now and we have more than enough experience to do it, so with him gone for the weekend doesn’t matter.”

“But you can’t let them know we did this nomination thingy. Aaron could get angry at us.”

“That’s right. It gets ugly when he’s angry.”

“Make up an excuse head manager.”

“Oh alright.” the manager agreed writing their names down on a piece of paper.

||||||||

Jiro had used more pages of his notepad than he’d expected. They were very detailed with each person they had described to him and because he couldn’t leave out a single word Jiro wrote everything down.

Because there were no windows in the room Jiro could not tell how much time had gone by when they had finished.

“Thank you for the help.” Jiro thanked as he got up.

His muscles had become so stiff from the long sitting he felt pain arise in his legs as he stretched. It felt like he’d been working out the whole day without a break.

“I’ll leave you my number so if there’s anything I want you to call me anytime 24/7. I might also come back if I have anything else I’d like to know, but thank you for your patience again today.” Jiro thanked shaking Mr. Tian’s hand again. “This information should remain only between us. Not a word should go out of this room.”

“Thank you. We’re very thankful that there’s still someone willing to help our daughter find her children,” Mr. Tian thanked. “And I promise not to say anything about this.”

As Jiro turned around Mrs. Tian’s voice stopped him. She seemed hesitant but went on with her question anyway.

“You said you’ve spoken with Aaron?” she asked.

Jiro nodded.

“Then have you spoken to Hebe too? Is she well?” asked an anxious Mrs. Tian.

“Lia,” Mr. Tian turned to her with a hush.

“It’s alright.” Jiro told Mr. Tian. “I’ve met your daughter and she’s doing well. She has a very reliable friend she meets often.”

Mr. Tian’s eyebrow rose in surprise, “Have you seen her?”

“Oh…no not really.” Jiro wondered if his answer even made sense. He had already explained that he’d met Hebe already and right then he’d just sort of denied the fact. Jiro was amazed at himself that even his own thoughts were confusing him. He blamed it on the fact that he’d been sitting down too long listening to every single detail of all the relatives. 

Mrs. Tian stepped forward with pleading eyes, “She doesn’t answer our calls at all. Please, if you meet her again tell her that her little cousin is getting married and she’d love it if Hebe appeared. Hebe had been the biggest role model to her and it’s been ages since they’ve seen each other. I know that it’s not your business at all or maybe it doesn’t concern you but please. Lie to her…anything! I really want to see her again.”

“Honey, come on now,” Mr. Tian pulled his wife back. “I’m sorry. There’s been a cold war going on between Hebe and us. We don’t mean to pull you into it.”

Jiro didn’t know what to say so he only replied with, “I’ll try my best.”

Why was he always telling everyone, now, that he’d try his best?

When he finally stepped outside the sun had fallen and the moon had taken over the area where the sun sat, its army of stars flowing around the beautiful white shape. Jiro dragged his feet as he went to his car. He’ll have to look over everything he’d written down…but what was with this cold war between Hebe and her parents?

Jiro sighed and promised himself to get as much sleep as he could gather that night in his comfortable, dark room.

||||||||

“Hi Hebe, you’re here again?” Calvin asked in an almost sarcastic tone.

They were seated at in the pizza parlor at the same table, with the same drinks.

“Do you dislike my presence?” Hebe asked also being sarcastic.

“She’s in a good mood today don’t ruin it,” Ella whispered to Calvin who nodded.

“No, it’s great to have you around,” Calvin said with that wide smile of his.

Seriously, if Calvin wasn’t always so chirpy, as the kind of guy he is, Hebe would have found his smile deeply mesmerizing.  

Hebe looked around, “Your friend isn’t here today?”

“Friend?” repeated Calvin also looking around.

“Jiro.” Hebe told.

Ella raised both her eyebrows in surprise sitting up away from where she’d been leaning.

“No. I haven’t talked to him since the last time we met.” Calvin answered. “He’s a busy man, it’s hard for me to catch him.”

“Oh…” Hebe sounded disappointed then looked up with her face brightening. “Do you think you can get him to come out next time?”

“Why do you want to meet him Hebe?” asked Ella.

Was it that famous quote “Curiosity killed the cat”? It was exactly what Ella was feeling right then. Hebe was starting to show some interest in someone…and that had to the be person in charge of investigating Hebe’s case. Was that ironic or fate?  

“I want to thank him.” Hebe answered.

“Thank him? That’s all?” Calvin asked then smiled, the kind of smiles with a hidden meaning. “Sure. I’ll go see him tonight and tell him.”

Ella stared at Hebe then turned to Calvin with a warning glare. If Calvin told Jiro anything funny about Hebe, Ella promised herself that he’d get it.  

“I didn’t know he was that popular with girls. I mean I know he was popular but not this popular,” Calvin said to himself.

“Do you know what happened between them?” Ella whispered.

Calvin turned to look at her, “Magic?”

However his sarcasm didn’t seem to be getting projected to her because Ella really gave him a deep glare.

He then shrugged, “How would I know? She’s your friend.”

“He’s your friend.” Ella pointed out then turned around. “So Hebe, why do you want to thank him?”

“It’s my business,” Hebe stated and ended her curiosity there.

Ella turned away and grabbed a slice of pizza taking a bite out of it. It was not like Hebe to want to thank someone. Actually during all the years Ella had known Hebe she had never asked someone out to thank them. What had suddenly gotten into Hebe?