27

Two Strings Attached

||||||||

“Thanks, I feel a little guilty now that you paid for the food.” Hebe said as they walked out of the restaurant together.

They stopped at her car.

“We were so busy talking about our plans that I forgot to ask you,” Hebe said turning to Aaron, “how is it going with Selina? Have you two talked?”

Aaron paused then responded, “Actually, we haven’t. We’ve only began talking after she found out about the children missing…”

“You’re scared, aren’t you?” Hebe suspected.

Aaron flinched realizing that Hebe was correct.

“Well you should hurry before she falls into someone else’s hands.” Hebe encouraged. “I’m off now. You call me out next time, alright?”

Aaron watched as Hebe drove off leaving him behind. It had been a surprise that she’d contacted him and apologized when they first met, but he couldn’t hide the fact that he was happy. She was doing well and changing slowly, he was beginning to wonder if someone was behind the reason why. He also stepped into his car thinking over Hebe’s encouragement. She was right, if he really loved Selina and was intent on getting her back he wouldn’t have gone to Hebe and told her he wanted Selina back.

When he got back Selina was just about to get ready and leave. Aaron found himself lucky when he caught her putting on her cardigan she had taken off earlier in the day.

“Are you leaving?” Aaron found himself walking quickly into the office to catch her before she left her desk.

“My shift ends about now,” Selina replied. “Is something the matter?”

“Uh…no. Not really.” Aaron said.

Selina smiled, “That’s a relief. I thought maybe yesterday was still bothering you. You’re feeling better, aren’t you?”

“I am,” Aaron replied, “I was going to ask you out tonight, are you free?”

Selina nodded.

Aaron found himself smiling in excitement, “Lets go for a movie then catch dinner.”

“Ok,” Selina replied without putting thought into it, “I’ll meet you at the cinema then?”

“I can pick you up,” Aaron offered.

“Won’t that trouble you?”

“It’s not a problem at all.”

||||||||

After Selina left she rode a taxi to Hebe’s house. The size of the house surprised her. She hadn’t expected Hebe to have stayed in the same house nor for her to be living in an apartment like Aaron. She had never visited Hebe and Aaron when they married, but she had stolen glances whenever she’d driven passed their house 3 years ago. However, what really surprised her was that nobody lived in a two storied house by themselves. Was Hebe somehow wishing or waiting for her family to get back together?

Selina walked up the stairs and rang the doorbell waiting and waiting until she realized no one was coming to the door. Was Hebe not home? Selina sat down on the doorstep and waited. It wasn’t until 5 minutes later that a car drove into the driveway and Selina got up when she recognized Hebe inside the car.

When Hebe had gotten out of her car she looked startled to see that Selina had been waiting for her.

“Selina?” Hebe asked.

“Hi,” Selina greeted. “I was just dropping by to visit.”

Hebe led Selina into the house and into the living room where she sat down while Hebe got a cup of water for her. Selina took a good look around to see the staircase leading to the second floor and then the tiffany chandelier caught her eyes. It was dusty, probably the most dusty in the house.

“I heard from Aaron that you’ve returned. Did you miss the city?” asked Hebe.

Selina found that Hebe was not one bit nervous, but glad to have her there. Maybe she didn’t need her at all.

Selina smiled, “It’s still the same. I haven’t found myself enjoying the city yet, but I did meet up with Aaron, Ella, and her friend.”

“Was his name Calvin by any chance?” Hebe questioned.

Selina raised an eyebrow, “You know him too?”

Hebe gave a loud laugh and slapped her thigh, “He’s quite amusing until you get to know him more.”

Selina found a smirk climbing its onto her lips and before she knew it she was speaking to Hebe like old friends.

“I heard that you work under Aaron. Are you two speaking again?” Hebe questioned.

“I just started speaking to him recently,” Selina answered. “I heard about what happened from a co-worker. I’m sorry it happened.”

Hebe smiled, “I believe I’ll find my children.”

They were silent until Selina spoke up again, “Ella said something about you fearing me.”

“Oh…that.” Hebe remembered. “I admit I was afraid to meet you at first, but I’ve actually gotten over it right now. I can accept and let it go.”

“You do realize that I don’t hate you,” Selina told, “it would make me feel awkward and I’m pretty sure it’d make everyone else feel awkward too.”

“I agree. I’m remaining friends with Aaron and I’d like to remain friends with you too.”

“It does sound good being friends.”

“Selina…Aaron hasn’t spoken to you about anything yet?” Hebe questioned.

“Spoken about what?”

“You do know he still loves you, right? These 3 years I’ve spent with him were great, but he wasn’t a whole person. There was always something within him that he never said anything about. You realize it’s painful to never say a word about the person you long for when you’re away from them, don’t you?” Hebe asked.

Selina knew where Hebe was taking the conversation.

“He’s still looking for a chance and I think you should consider it. It’s rare for a person to love someone for so long when they’ve both been on different lands for 3 years.” Hebe told. “Though, I don’t know him as well as you known him, but he’s been sincere and more than deserves you.”

||||||||

After Jiro had gotten the answers he’d wanted from Mr. Zhou he returned to the police station where the shy guy handed him a piece of paper.

“I’ve found the address of the last house he’d lived in, so I’m not sure if he’s still there. I’ve also made a call to those who live there now, but they have plans and won’t be back until tomorrow. I think it’s better to call them in the morning tomorrow and make an appointment to see them sir.”

“You’ve gotten quite ahead of yourself,” Jiro explained, “good job. Thanks for saving me the trip to their house, I’ll make sure to contact them in the morning.”

He took the papers from him and got up from behind his desk. There was probably something else he wanted to do now since he now had the time in his hands.