30

Two Strings Attached

||||||||

Their house was glamorous and very lovely they were certainly wealthy people and a happy family. The kitchen looked rich of light, a big window sat above the sink letting the light flow in from outside, and a large glass stove sat in between the marble counters. The fridge had two doors and looked as if it would fit a whole year’s supply of food for Jiro.

“Please take a seat. Would you like anything to drink, investigator?” Mrs. Lu questioned walking toward the fridge. “It looks like we have some juice and milk.”

“Water would be fine. Thank you.” Jiro said.

“You two wait for me before you start talking. I want to get out of this outfit.” Mr. Lu said and walked out of the kitchen and into the other room then up the stairs.

He found himself disappointed that he couldn’t get a glimpse of the other beautiful rooms some the long extending wall blocked his view. Mrs. Lu set a cup down in front of him.

“Your home is very lovely.” Jiro compliemented.

“Thank you. We had to do some renovating of this place after Wei Lian moved out. It was such a mess, the walls were peeling yellow and the floor so dirty, I don’t know how he managed to live here.” Mrs. Lu explained. “But it feels a lot more alive after fixing this beautiful place up. I sometimes wonder why he let such a beautiful place become so weary.”

“Wei Lian? Lu Wei Lian?” asked Jiro.

“Oh yes, I’m sorry I forgot to explain. He’s one of my distant cousin, so we’re not really close,” Mrs. Lu explained.

“Ok, I’m back,” Mr. Lu’s voice came as he entered the kitchen wearing sweatpants and a t-shirt. “I apologize Mr. Wang for my informal attire, but I really needed to get out of those jeans I was wearing.”

“It’s quite alright,” Jiro said, “I’m not so well dressed myself.”

He laughed in amusement and sat down also urging for his wife to take a seat. When they both were seated next to one another Jiro asked again. “You say Lu Wei Lian is a long distance relative?”

“Yes, he was.” Mrs. Lu replied. “Is there something about him?”

“How was your relationship with him?”

“He wasn’t very talkative, kept to himself pretty much. I’ve only seen him a few times in my life.”

“He did manage and sell houses at one point, I’m not sure if he’s doing it now, though. I happened to see him once during a business meeting 6 years ago.” Mr. Lu chipped in.

“6 years? That’s quite a long time,” Jiro commented. “I did hear from his boss that he had gambling habits, do you know any of that?”

“I heard from a cousin about it too. They said he must have started doing it because he was depressed about the money he was making,” Mrs. Lu explained.

“No, I’m sure he made a lot of money,” Mr. Lu said, “but gambling means putting your  money on the line. If  he didn’t have luck then he’s as good as out. I assume he lost majority of his money because of his gambling habit, Mr. Wang.”

Jiro assumed Mr. Lu was correct. They were a really smart couple, no wonder Mrs. Lu worked for a law firm. If Lu Wei Lian did lose money because of his gambling habit and also fired because of it did he give up the house because he could no longer pay for it?

“Then do you two know if he gave up this house because he couldn’t afford it? Or were there any other reasons?” asked Jiro.

“Yes, that is the reason why.”

“I heard he gave the house to you two. Why?”

The couple glanced at each other for the first time before Mr. Lu went on, “We thought he was pitiful so we paid off the rest of the bills he couldn’t manage to pay and we also gave him a few hundreds after he asked for it. But after hearing your questions it sounds like he isn’t a clean man. Is there a reason for this?”

“Before I’m willing to answer that I want to know what you two think he would do for money. Do you think he would go as far as harm someone for money?” Jiro questioned.

It was like an eternity before they answered. Mrs. Lu went first, “I don’t want to think of him as a bad man. He seems like a very decent person, but from my experience with working for the law firm I’ve realized even a clean looking man would go against nature’s morals. Looks are deceiving, as many people say. I suppose he would do such a thing if he needed the money…if he was desperate enough for it.”

“I agree with my wife. Even desperate people pretend to be the homeless on the road.”

Jiro nodded, “Thank you for your honesty. Since you work for the law firm, I suppose I can trust you with this little information, Mrs. Lu, and I certainly hope that this news does not get out from this kitchen.” Jiro watched as the both of them nodded. “I assume you’ve heard about the case of the missing twins whose parents split after they disappeared. I’m suspecting…if my math is correct, this Lu Wei Lian is tied to the case.”

After Jiro had obtained from the couple Lu Wei Lian’s address, which he had left behind for them to mail him money, Jiro was aware of what to do with it. If Lu Wei Lian knew the way around Hebe’s house, the house which he had wanted, and he knew Keven, he had to be the one who devised the plan to take the children. Plus with the fact that Keven was also money hungry and upset with his grandma’s will that left Hebe the money he wanted so very much, it all adds up. Keven and Lu Wei Lian found their target to the money they both wanted, Hebe. By taking the children they could both threaten her for the money…but a year was probably too long a wait for them, so something must have happened. Their plan, if Jiro was correct about it, must have been sabotaged, or something could have turned out wrong. The only answer he understood was the twins. Something could have happened to them…then Jiro recalled the pharmacy theft misunderstanding report. Keven had taken children’s medicine…why?

Jiro had returned to the police station to get the information on Lu Wei Lian that the person on his investigation team had dug up. If he was going to add up everything he’d found so far together he needed those files. However, when he walked into the station he ran into the superior who’d spoken to him about the subject, “Why women cry”. The man who’d taken Hebe’s report to the police as a joke.

“Sup, Jiro. How’s it going little lad?” he questioned.

Jiro tried to step around him to quickly head into the office, but the man clearly blocked his way. Finally taking a step back he glanced into his superior’s round face full of wrinkles.

“I’m dong really well. Yourself?” Jiro asked hoping to get their little conversation over with quickly. He really did not want to speak to anyone right now.

“You still working on that case?”

Jiro knew what was coming next, “Of course.”

“I heard you’ve been dwindling with that woman’s affairs. Is it true?”

“I did say I’ll take charge of this investigation.”

His superior smirked, “So it is true. Don’t tell me you’re actually falling into sympathy for her. Did she use her tears to coax you? You’re really too nice of a guy Jiro. Maybe you need a better case to handle.”

“What case is better than trying to find two missing children,” Jiro asked, “when your other team members have backed out? Maybe when the chief returns I’ll ask for a promotion because of my hard solo work. That sounds good right? That way you won’t need to see me and I won’t need to see you.”

Jiro suddenly felt his superior push him hard and he found himself running into a desk where another person was filing papers. The noise of the desk scratching against the floor penetrated the whole room and the papers slid off the desk.

“I dare you to do it!” his superior threatened.

Jiro ran back toward the man and grabbed his collars, “I’m not scared of you…and everyone else here…go ahead with your laziness. All of you should feel disappointed in yourselves for not even trying to solve a person’s mishaps when they’ve placed their hopes high on you. What right do you have to call yourselves officers when you barely understand the right and the wrong? When you don’t even try to differentiate it!” Jiro could feel everyone’s eyes land upon him. “Demote me, I dare you. When the chief returns I don’t care if I’m out of here or if I’m promoted. I won’t tolerate your remarks toward the helpless who come to us for security and I especially won’t stand back any longer to hear your sad remarks about this woman who’s waiting for her children. Fact is you’re not suited for this job, so go get another one.” Jiro pushed his superior back and headed into the office feeling the burning stares of the others on his back.