32

Two Strings Attached

Jiro felt something spark up in him. Another question he was pretty sure he knew the answer to. If Lu Wei Lian did look after the house maybe he did keep a key with him.

“I’m not sure, but I’ll check it out for you,” Jiro told.

“I was thinking of the couple that sold it to us, but then the real estates company could have a key too,” Hebe continued.

“Don’t worry about it, ok?” Jiro assured. “I’ll figure it out for you. Go in and make sure to call before you go to sleep or if anything is wrong, ok?”

He squeezed Hebe’s hand before letting her go. When he saw that the door was closed after she went in he continued to watch the house for a few minutes just in case. When everything seemed fine he made his way back to his complex where he would change and maybe wake up early to look for Lu Wei Lian.

It had began thundering when he got back and he could only hope that Hebe would be alright staying in that large house alone. After getting a cup of water he made his way to his desk and opened up the file.

So to put things together Keven walked out of his home when he turned 20 and never returned except for grandma’s funeral. He received 5% of the will, which he was certainly not pleased with and wanted money from Hebe. In 06 Keven moved out of his apartment and his current location is unknown, he is suspected to be staying with someone. A few days ago both Aaron and Selina had ran into Keven who had given them the message to tell Hebe to stop waiting for her children-very suspicious.

On the other hand, Lu Wei Lian worked for a Real Estates Company. Transferred from Taichung to Taipei. He made good money, but it wasn’t enough for him because of his gambling habits. 5 years ago his gambling habit had also cost him to lose his job at the Real Estates Company. This man is 5 years older than Keven, so apparently he is much wiser than Keven. Apparently, he fancied the house that now belongs to Hebe.

Adding them up together the two must have met somewhere between 5 years ago and now when Lu Wei Lian had come to Taipei. Surely they must have met before the beginning of this year, 2008, in order to have become close friends and join hands to commit a crime. With the fact that Keven was an aggressive man and he had an obsession with money fit Lu Wei Lian’s strategy. Lu Wei Lian also needed money himself so in order to get the money they would target Hebe, whose home Lu Wei Lian would know like the back of his head and he would probably also have the key to the home. One of them must have been the intruder and the other one must have gone upstairs to take the children while Hebe was caught off guard.

Jiro was satisfied with his conclusion. Only now he need to interrogate Lu Wei Lian and find Keven before he would indict them. But he would have to wait until morning before he’d find Lu Wei Lian.

“The case is coming to a close then I’ll finally be able to finish the case,” Jiro told himself. “By then I’ll get the twins back.”

||||||||

Hebe walked around the house turning all the lights on the first floor on. With all the lights on she’d be able to see everything and it helped her calm down a bit. She grabbed a cup of tea intending to stay up all night and sat in the recliner with the fat book, which she hadn’t finished reading. After 10 minutes of reading Hebe set the book down. It was the first time in her life that the rain was pounding on the windows so loudly. Hebe glanced at the closed curtains and wondered if her children were scared.

Grabbing her phone she looked up Jiro’s number. He had told her to call him if anything was wrong, but nothing was wrong and she wasn’t going to sleep. He was busy, she could tell by looking at him. She’d learned by watching Aaron’s tired face even though he rarely let her know he was tired. Was it hard for him to make time in his schedule for her? It probably was. Hebe supposed after Jiro found the twins he’d probably be even busier with his next case. Spending time together wouldn’t end up being a burden for both of them, would it?

Hebe sighed and laid back in the recliner. She had never bothered to ask about how the investigation was coming along. She didn’t want her personal feelings to get in the way of his work when all he was doing was trying to find the kidnappers and get her children back into her arms. If Jiro worried about her feelings he wouldn’t be able to do his job well, so she wouldn’t ask about the investigation.

||||||||

Selina glanced out the glass door that led to the balcony. The thunder would strike again and again.

“What’s making you so mad?” Selina questioned then turned away and turned the TV on.

Flipping through the channels she found nothing that interested her and turned the TV off. She glanced around went into the kitchen to find something she could snack on and surely she found some cookies. She grabbed her book and began reading then without being aware she’d fallen into a deep sleep.

Selina awoke sleeping on her belly on her couch. Her neck ached and her body was sore. she got up and walked into the kitchen grabbing a cup of water and chugging it down. She glanced into her fridge to see that it was almost empty then suddenly remembered she’d used most of her food with yesterday’s cooking for Aaron. Sighing Selina stepped into the shower and got dressed then headed out.

Pacing back and forth through the aisles Selina grabbed everything she wanted. Before checking out Selina decided to buy some lemon so she would be able to cut them up and eat them with some grounded pepper later. Strange, she never usually ate such a thing, but she was craving for it now. Pushing her curiosity away Selina went to check out. She stood in line behind two women who were in a deep conversation. She couldn’t help, but overhear what they were saying because they were talking in such loud voices anyone would be able to hear them without even trying.

“It only takes a week for pregnancy symptoms to kick in for some women,” the first lady pointed out. She was short, but sturdy and wore a plain t-shirt. The woman next to her was wearing something even fancier. She was wearing a black skirt that reached to her knees and a shiny blue blouse with curled hair. Apparently she was heading somewhere.

“Do you think I’m pregnant?” asked the woman. “I’m starting to crave chicken, which I never eat. And my period hasn’t come on time. It was supposed to come on Friday, but now I’m just feeling sick. The light-headed-kind of sick.”

The woman who seemed older replied, “You might want to get a check up. If you’re just catching a cold then it should be fine. I know you’ve been quite stressed lately, but on the other hand if you’re pregnant then you should let your husband know. He’d be excited.”

“Do you want to go with me? I don’t think I want to go get a check up alone.”

After they paid for their grocery Selina found herself staring at them as they walked out of the mart.

“Miss, I can scan your items now. Miss?” the woman behind the cashier called.

Selina quickly turned toward the woman and smiled. After she got out of the mart she found herself sitting in the driver’s seat frozen. She glanced into the backseat toward the grocery bags where the lemons she had bought was as she recalled the woman’s words about craving for chicken.

Selina laughed to herself, “It’s not possible.”

Even as Selina shook her head she found herself searching into her memory. Other than the night 2 days ago she could recall the night she’d spent with Aaron last week Sunday.

“Today’s a Sunday. It’s been a week.” Selina thought to herself.

Should she begin to worry?

“No. I don’t need to worry about it. My body doesn’t react that fast,” Selina told herself aloud. “You’re fine. You’re fine.”

Even when she got onto the street something within her knew she was beginning to fear the odds.

||||||||

Lu Wei Lian dwelled in a neighborhood just like any normal person. His home was at the end of a block, a really small house, which seemed to be affordable for a gambler. Jiro got out of his car and headed up to the gray house. It didn’t look so great, but at least the house was still up. Jiro knocked on the door a few times and the door finally opened. The exact same man from the police station stood there in jeans. He was exactly as Jiro recalled him. Medium sized man, anyone could tell he worked out but his muscles didn’t show as he had expected them to, he looked much younger than his age, and his hair was short and stood up against the air. He looked like he was dressed up and ready to head out…maybe for some more gambling.

“You are…” Lu Wei Lian asked.

“Investigator,” Jiro held up his badge. “I’d like to have a few words with you.”