21

Two Strings Attached

“So, what I’m saying is that whatever type of person that character is, they will make decisions upon what they feel is right.” Calvin told. “If the student were one of my characters and they were an immature person they’d obviously throw it out. Of course, maybe if somethings were changing in their life and they wanted to change themselves they might as well take on that assignment and try it. It’s a matter of attitude that decides.”

Jiro nodded not quite sure if he understood, but knew that if he continued on with the question Calvin would just make it more confusing.

So Jiro stopped there and went right to the point, “If a character, if you were model him like me, were having trouble on deciding what to do next, what would they do?”

“I forgot what you just said because I was wondering why you came here.” Calvin admitted. “Repeat your question and be specific. I don’t even know what kinds of problems you’re having.”

Jiro sighed and couldn’t help, but roll his eyes.

“Do you want some coffee first?” asked Jiro.

“I can have some coffee at 10,” Calvin said. “I stayed up all night talking to the publishing company about the next book, so I barely got any sleep.”

“I barely got any sleep putting my investigation together,” Jiro thought but didn’t say it aloud.

When he turned back to look at Calvin he was already dozing off like an old grandpa.

||||||||

Hebe had not been able to cheer up at all the past day. She couldn’t even bring herself to think of calling up Ella for a chat. After she’d gotten off her shift she had on been lying on the twins’ bed in their bedroom staring up at the ceiling. She missed them and the happiness she’d shared with them.

“Your father’s finally breaking it off with me,” Hebe realized. “I should be happy to let him go, but why am I feeling worse than I did after the divorce was finalized?”

Aaron had said to remain friends and she had promised to call him up sometime, but now she was beginning to doubt even her own words. Where would she find the courage to look at him?

Hebe turned to the night table where her phone was when it started ringing. Who would call her? She reached for her phone and answered. A voice she long forgotten was speaking.

“I just finished baking a cake and just recalled how much you love eating it. Would you mind spending some time with me today?” it was the grandma that adored her twins and baked goodies for them.

Maybe some sweets would cheer her up. Hebe was more than willing to try forgetting her misery so she took the offer.

After the twins had gone missing Hebe had shunned her neighbors from her life, even when they had cooked and brought food for her to eat during that year. She was beginning to regret it now.

Grandma’s house was on the corner of the block with a cute short white painted fence at the foot of where the grass met the concrete. Melody, the black lab, suddenly leapt up barking with her tail waving wildly behind her. Hebe smiled at her and reached to massage her behind the ears then the door opened and the grandma appeared.

“You’re finally here,” the grandma greeted. Her voice was so calming and soothing Hebe immediately walked up the staircase to hug her.

||||||||

“Do you want to go out for lunch? On me.” Aaron offered.

Selina looked up from the computer she’d been staring at since morning to find Aaron standing over her.

“Since you’re paying, why not?” she smiled.

“Let me come along!” Ah Ken shouted overhearing them.

Neither Selina or Aaron replied, but Ah Ken tagged along voluntarily declaring he needed to babysit.

“Did you get home alright?” Aaron asked.

“That’s why I’m here.”

“Did you finish your part for the media presentation?” asked Aaron.

“Of course, I’m not a slacker,” Selina said. “Unlike someone who leaves his papers lying around.”

“Are you two ever going to invite me into your conversation?” asked Ah Ken from behind.

“I forgot you were here,” Aaron teased looking back.

Selina also turned around and giggled before she turned back around. Within seconds she and Aaron had ran off leaving Ah Ken behind. They had been too busy laughing that they didn’t see a man in front of them. It wasn’t until they had bumped into him that they stopped laughing.

“Sorry,” both Selina and Aaron apologized, but suddenly forgot about it when they recognized him.

The man cocked an eyebrow as if he was rather amused than surprised, “Well, well, if it isn’t my little brother in law who got my sister pregnant.”

He didn’t look nice at all. His hair was now short and well styled, unlike how it had been 3 years ago when he had kept it long and curled it everyday. A mustache was growing around his mouth and his eyes had a hint of cruel playfulness. He walked back toward them and Selina found herself taking a step back. She had only met him a few times when she was still acquainted with Hebe. Keven was never a nice person to start with so she had never expected kind words from him. It was either insults or cruel jokes that came from his mouth and Selina expected just that when they locked eyes.

A smirk climbed onto his face, “Well, if it ain’t this beautiful gal I’ve seen numerous times on the street. What you think about leaving him and going on a lil’ date with me?”

He reached his arm out to touch her face, but Selina inched her head back to avoid it. She felt surprised when Aaron grabbed his hand to stop him and tension suddenly grew in the air.  

Keven laughed and looked at the ground after pulling his hand out of Aaron’s grasp, “So after the divorce you’re picking up woman off the streets? Are you intending to forget about your children and play around now?”

“Shut up,” Aaron snapped.

Selina looked at Keven and assumed that he wasn’t just joking around either. Had something upset him? Why did he suddenly want to start a brawl with Aaron?

“Forget him Aaron. It’s stupid to continue talking with him,” Selina urged grabbing onto Aaron’s arm and giving it a tug.

Aaron turned to look at her and Selina felt relieved that he didn’t seem one bit irked by Keven’s words.

When he and Selina began to walk away Keven’s voice stopped them. “Hey! Tell Hebe to stop waiting for her children and move on!”

The two of them watched as Keven grinned and turned around to walk off.

“What the heck is his problem?” Selina asked, retaining her anger, then turned to Aaron. “I’m surprised you didn’t jump him just now.”

“I’m not a gangster. Never was.” Aaron replied.

Selina smiled back.

“That message. Don’t say a thing about it to Hebe.” Aaron said.