6

Two Strings Attached

Since the two of them worked separately under different chiefs they barely knew each other, but they had met a few times at investigation scenes because they did exactly the same thing. They were both investigators who sought out evidence and became acquainted friends quickly.  

“You know that case about the twins,” Jiro mentioned.

“You were bullied to quit the case since the chief is no longer in power right now?” Reeve said without even looking at Jiro, too focused on his medium cooked steak.

Jiro felt a breath of relief escape him. Thank goodness he did not have to say it himself because even he felt embarrassed admitting that he was bullied at work…the police station.

“If you want help you can just come to me,” Reeve offered, “you’re in on this alone aren’t you?”

Jiro nodded silently feeling so thankful he wanted to cry and hug him. All the silent pressure the others had been giving him was finally beginning to weigh him down.

“Well first off you have to look in more closely at this case…as if the mother were your girlfriend or something,” Reeve said.

Jiro raised his eyebrows and Reeve laughed.

“I’m just kidding,” Reeve joked, “but then you have to take this seriously. The mother is really heartbroken about this matter. Take it as she’s a really close friend you’d want to help and since you’re a cop, bingo! You have the authority to weigh others down.”

“What do you mean?” Jiro felt confused.

“The closest people to her are…” he said.

Jiro thought for a moment, “Her family.”

“And husband,” Reeve added, “though they’re divorced they may still remain close. And the husband could be a suspect too, don’t forget that. Everyone in the family is a suspect, so you have to treat everyone who’s close to her as mere strangers to her because you can’t just trust anyone to be telling the truth, you have to pressure them-this is having the authority to weigh one down. Listen carefully and write down notes and don’t lose those notes. I’ll help you dig out her family tree and highlight the ones who are still alive. After you finish interrogating come to me and I’ll help you with the rest.”

Jiro felt his mouth drop in awe. Reeve was an awesome guy and Jiro was always able to count on him.

“Thanks so much,” Jiro said.

“Keep working hard and show those guys you have more than they have,” Reeve said with a smile. “This lunch is on you, right?”

||||||||

Such bogus! Ella had never heard of such things in her life! The cops giving up on a case they were working on?!

“This isn’t right Hebe. Maybe that guy was just playing with you,” Ella tried, but Hebe shook her head.

They were now seated in Ella’s cold living room with the curtains closed. Ella had wrapped herself in her thick robe after she had served Hebe some coffee. Hebe’s tears had almost run dry and she had been staring at the ground ever since Ella had come to sit down next to her. Ella really wanted to rub her own head and pull her hair out. Seeing Hebe in this state was one thing she hated the most. She felt sorry to admit it, but it really brought pressure upon her whenever Hebe came to her in a broken state.

“What if he was telling the truth?” Hebe asked. “What if they can never be found? Who would take them in the first place!”

Ella wanted to ask if Hebe had notified Aaron about the situation but kept shut. She already knew the answer herself.

“No, the cops wouldn’t give up on such a case. They can’t just push the case aside and find another one to start working on. It’s just…not right. Trust me Hebe, someone out there is willing to help you,” Ella tried to sound persuading, “and they will come to you with news of the twins. It…it will have to take time, but I believe someone is working hard to find out the person behind all this.”

Hebe didn’t say anything but cried some more. Ella sighed helpless and suggested that Hebe sleep for a while in her room while she went out to buy something sweet for Hebe. However, it had been a white lie. Of course Ella was going out to buy something sweet for Hebe to help her calm down but there was something else she wanted to do. Even if Hebe disliked the idea of it, Ella felt Aaron should know about the visit the cop had paid to Hebe.

After stopping in at the store Ella found a bench under a short tree and sat down. The phone rang a few times before someone finally picked up.

“Aaron?” Ella asked.

“Ah…Ella!”

“Well, Hebe came over to my place this morning. I don’t know if this will be disturbing news to you or not,” Ella started.

“Is it something about the twins?!” Aaron sounded almost excited, his hopes climbing up in his voice.

“It’s not that great of news,” Ella warned, “an officer came to Hebe and told her that they weren’t able to find anything on the twins.”

Silence.

“Why would they tell her that?” Aaron questioned. “Are they making fun of us?!”

“Calm down Aaron,” Ella tried.

“I knew it! I should have told the cops to inform me before Hebe!”

“It’s not your fault, alright?” Ella told. “Look, maybe that officer was a fake or something or maybe something happened at the police station and he had to break the news to Hebe.”

“And why would something happen in the police station?” Aaron questioned.

“I don’t know,” Ella shrugged. “I just wanted to let you know because you’re their father and you have a right.”

“Thanks.”

“How are you doing? Everything still the same?” Ella suddenly felt the urge to ask

Ella felt like a babysitter or the wisest of them 3 and was always serving as the medium between Aaron and Hebe.

Aaron seemed to hesitate for a long time before he finally answered, “Well, I guess I should at least let you know, but this isn’t something Hebe should know right now, alright?”

“Alright.”

“Selina came back,” Aaron said, “I think it’s really a coincidence that she transferred from Shanghai for work.”

“You sound a bit happy though,” Ella pointed out.

“But it doesn’t seem like she wants to be friends or anything,” Aaron stated. “So that’s all I have to tell you. If you see her around say hi to her ok? I think she feels pretty lonely.”

“I have to say Aaron, you’re best at reading Selina’s emotions,” Ella told, “alright I’ll say hi to her if I see her. Keep in touch ok? Let me know if something comes up for you.”

“You too.”

After they hung up Ella found herself staring at the traffic in a daze. Hebe had come to her so often after she’d gotten married and after the divorce that basically her problems had become Ella’s as well. Ella felt so caught up in Hebe’s life it was hard to search for her own through the mess.

They had basically been friends in university, the four of them, Aaron-Hebe-Selina-herself. Though Hebe and Selina weren’t very close they had been on good terms. Ella had gotten along with Aaron and Selina pretty well. The problem had mostly lied between Hebe and her sense of interpretations…maybe because she had still seemed so much like a little girl-her mentality at least. Because she had seemed so lonely sometimes Aaron had asked her out for lunch on friendly terms, but Hebe had interpreted them differently. They were dates to her and during the end of the day she’d come running to Ella screaming joy. Ella had told Hebe off a few times, but had been told by Hebe that she was only jealous. Hebe…understood nothing about the adult world…and now that she was going through the frustrations of losing her twins she didn’t seem to be maturing any much.

Ella felt horribly sorry for Selina and was afraid of seeing her or talking to her again after the wedding because she always feared Selina's rejection in their friendship. Though she waved at Ella whenever they walked passed each other during their last year of university Ella was never able to bring herself to mutter even a small greeting. Selina was so hurt and dared not show it that Ella felt afraid. She had felt that she had been partly at fault for letting Hebe run around with her fantasies. On the other hand Aaron had been given a hard time as well. And now that Selina was back…what was going to happen? Would Aaron try to get her back…even after 3 years? What would Selina do if she found out about the twins?

“That’s right…she doesn’t know about them,” Ella found herself saying aloud.

Selina would have to be a secret Ella would need to keep from Hebe. She didn’t want to think about Hebe’s reaction if she knew. Finally Ella picked up her grocery bag and rushed back to her place.

“You were gone for an awfully long time,” Hebe commented as Ella entered through the door.

“Traffic…and the convenience store was really busy you know?” Ella lied. “Come on, I brought some really sweet candy and juice for you.”

||||||||

Jiro was finally able to sit down in a calm mood when the door bell rang. He lived in a medium sized complex by himself. The door yellow, the walls a light mahogany, and the kitchen walls built of marble stones. Everything clashed, but strangely Jiro liked it. An entertainment show was broadcasting on TV in front of him before he had turned away from it. Who was visiting him now?

“Hi! I saw you come in! For the first time this month!” Calvin cheekily smiled.

Jiro rolled his eyes feeling overly tired and irritated.

“What do you need now?” Jiro asked. “Don’t tell me you came to ask me to pardon you for a speed ticket you received.”

Calvin laughed, “Nah. I’ve definitely learned from my lessons. Do you want to go out tonight? It’s on me. I think a beer would really help you cool down, right my really cool police officer friend?”

Jiro stared at Calvin for a long time, “No.”

“Why!”

“Because every time I agree to go you do something stupid.”

“Like what?”

“Like for instance you brag about me being a cop and you try to hook yourself up with girls from the bar,” Jiro reminded.

“Oh…come on!” Calvin said snapping his head back like a turtle as if offended. “That’s not it for tonight. I have this really awesome friend-girl. We’re just going out to meet her tonight. She called me earlier and said she could use some air.”

“She called you, not me,” Jiro pointed out hoping to get Calvin off his back.

“Please just go with me,” Calvin begged grabbing Jiro’s hand.

||||||||

It was beginning to get dark outside and yet Hebe still hadn’t left her place. Ella was already dressed and ready to go out, but Hebe still sat on her couch spacing out.

“Hebe,” Ella told, “I’m going to go out. If you’re going to stay you know, make yourself at home ok?”

When Ella had already slipped on her shoes Hebe turned around.

“Where are you going?”

||||||||

Jiro didn’t know how Calvin had urged him to go out and why he’d even gone out with Calvin. They were now sitting at a small circular table in a pizza place waiting…for whoever was coming. When the door opened for the 15th time Calvin turned and waved. Jiro watched as the two girls walked over-both were the same height, but with very different appearances. The short haired girl was very neatly dressed and the other girl…very casual. First the two girls sat down and Calvin introduced them, but the girl with the longer hair didn’t even seem to be paying attention. Jiro heard Calvin pull Ella aside and ask her why she’d let Hebe come along.

“I don’t know…it just happened. Sorry,” Ella apologized. “You dragged someone along too?”

“Ah!” Calvin immediately turned his head to look at Jiro. “The cop I’ve been talking about.”

Hebe’s head immediately turned at the word.

“Hi!” Ella greeted much louder than before. “I didn’t know it was you! You’re awesome!”

Jiro glanced at Calvin. Calvin smiled widely back showing all his teeth.

“Hi,” Jiro replied.

“You!” Hebe suddenly shouted surprising everyone. “It’s you! How can you show your face in front of me?!”

Ella and Calvin turned to look at Jiro. Jiro stared back at them and suddenly felt his headache coming on again.

“What are you talking about?” Ella questioned Hebe.

Hebe seemed to grit her teeth, “The cop from earlier.”

Ella turned to look at Jiro curious.

“Huh?” was all Calvin was able to make out. “Wait…what happened?”

“I want to leave,” Hebe told, “Ella lets go.”

Ella’s eyes became big as she turned look at Hebe with a questioning expression. She didn’t want to leave.

“Are you going to go with me?” Hebe asked. “Or do you want to hang out with these so called people who believe in being righteous?”

“What are you talking about Hebe?” Ella asked. “We’re only here to relax…it’s a Saturday and everyone would like to…”

“Then forget it,” Hebe turned around and stormed out the door leaving Ella speechless.

“Sorry guys,” Ella apologized, “she’s been like that recently.”

Ella was already getting up when Jiro got up from where he’d been sitting, “You two stay. I can go after her.”

Jiro hurried out the door and looked around before he made out Hebe’s back walking down the sidewalk. He kept his distance and slowed down when he realized that Hebe wasn’t heading back to her house. Cars drove by, people passed by, and the night felt even longer for him. He was always tired after a week of work and being cooped up in the station and rarely had time to return to his complex to relax for just a day. But why now, was he following her? He barely took time to care about anyone else aside from those that were linked to the police station.

He watched Hebe stop in front of a stand where an old couple sold clothes. Hebe was staring up at the children’s clothes on display.

“You have to take this seriously. The mother is really heartbroken about this matter. Take it as she’s a really close friend you’d want to help and since you’re a cop, bingo! You have the authority to weigh others down.” Reeve’s words ran through his head.

A really heartbroken mother…his responsibility to find the kidnapper. He found himself waking out of his thoughts when he felt someone’s eyes on him. Jiro turned to find that Hebe had finally noticed that he’d followed her. It felt like a memorable scene. The two of them standing on opposite sides of the crowd, eyes glued together. When the crowd thinned Hebe stepped away from the stall.

“Why have you been following me?” Hebe asked. “Is there something you want? Or is there some other kind of news you’d like to share?”

She didn’t sound too happy to see him, but Jiro felt he could deal with her. And amazingly she was no longer blowing up at him like she had earlier because Jiro had half expected her to scream at him.

He turned his head to look down the walk, “You haven’t eaten have you? Do you want to eat some noodles?”

Hebe felt surprised. No one, no one had ever asked her for a meal of noodles at the night market. Ella hated it because the food didn’t seem clean and Aaron disliked the food there. The reason why she liked the night market so much was because her childhood memories existed there. When she was young, before her mother had left her, she had spent nearly every night coming for meals here. Then when her mother left her father remarried and she lost all joy of the night market.

“You really want to eat here?” Hebe asked as if mesmerized by something.

“Huh?” Jiro felt lost.

Hebe turned away from him and led him through the crowd. As they did Jiro finally had the chance to observe her closely. She seemed like a decent, hardworking person. A woman who cared deeply for her family, but yet didn’t understand the whole of what it meant.  

When they sat down and ordered their bowls of noodles Jiro found Hebe spacing out.

“Do you come here often?” Jiro questioned.

“I do,” was all that came from her.

They ate in silence. After the meal they walked around a bit more.

“Ella talked about a case,” she suddenly spoke up. “The one where her brother happened to be the killer. Were you the one that shot him?”

Jiro thought for a moment then found himself laughing, “Calvin exaggerates. No, I wasn’t the one who shot him. I was only there after I had gathered enough evidence to prove it was him.”

He turned to look at Hebe who stared at him with a solid face. It was then that he realized how small she was compared to him. How could such a small woman be carrying so much burden alone?

“There was one night when Ella made Calvin tell me that story,” Hebe said, “and she told me it was an inspiring story, but I got angry.”

Jiro was silent before replying, “Well…it’s understandable. It may have sounded like a comparison to the twins’ case…”

Hebe felt impressed. Jiro hadn’t asked her why she had gotten angry and hadn’t put the blame on her. Instead he was pointing it out…that he understood. No one had tried to understand her point of view before correcting her or telling her what she’d done was wrong.

“So it wasn’t wrong of me to have gotten angry, right?” Hebe stopped and walked in front of him.

Jiro felt surprised with her suddenly doing so. What did she want him to say? Did she want him to side with her?

“Ah…well…” Jiro started. “In my opinion I think it was wrong, but not your fault that you got angry and it's not Ella's either.”

Hebe started walking again and they remained silent for some time. She had never expected him to side with her nor did it matter if he sided with her or not. The only thing that mattered was that he did understand why she’d gotten angry.

“Do I need to apologize?”  Hebe asked.

Jiro realized she was like a child who needed advice because she pondered about every little thing. Whether it’d be right or wrong to do this or that. Or maybe she was just looking for someone to lead her. Yet, Jiro didn’t expect for her to be talking to him…it was strange how she’d gotten angry at him then now she was somehow…opening up with all these questions.

“You don’t need to but you should,” Jiro replied, “I just mean since you’re friends.”

Hebe nodded beside him as they stopped near the curb.

“What was your name again?” Hebe asked.

“I’m Jiro.”

She shook her head, “I’ll be going home now…thanks for the meal.”

Jiro watched as she hailed a taxi and disappeared down the street along with the traffic. He turned around to head back to the pizza place where, hopefully, Calvin still was.

||||||||

“So what about earlier?” Calvin asked.

“An officer reported to Hebe earlier that her children…they weren’t able to find her children,” Ella explained, “I guess your friend was the one who did it. I really hope Hebe is able to calm down. She was pretty upset when she arrived at my place.”

“She’ll be fine,” Calvin told, “Jiro will be able to catch up to her. He’s a cop after all.”

“Well it doesn’t matter whether you’re a cop or not. Hebe’s…just so stubborn.” Ella said.

“I know.” Calvin agreed.

They ordered a pizza and ate and talked some more. The door opened and Jiro walked in.

“You’re back,” Calvin greeted.

“I’m tired.” Jiro replied.

“Where’s Hebe?” asked Ella looking around.

“Probably home.” Jiro told.

“Were you able to catch up to her? Is she still angry?” Ella worried.

“She seems fine to me,” Jiro said. “She was asking me a lot of questions.”

Ella sighed a sigh of relief, “She’s like that. She just needs someone to listen to her, she’s  pretty much like an adolescent who’s still growing up.”

“I’ve got a question,” Jiro said, “would it be alright to ask you?”

He’d been curious since it’d become something like gossip at the police station and now that he actually had met her he wanted to know. It might help motivate him with the case investigation.

Ella nodded telling him to go ahead with the question.

“Why did they divorce?”