11

Two Strings Attached

Hebe stared at Jiro who seemed lost in thought. She began doubting about whether he’d been listening to her when he looked at her.

“Do you want to go out? For a ride or for a walk?” Jiro questioned.

Hebe felt speechless.

Moments later they were walking through the night market stopping by each stall, admiring every item they found interesting, and ate at the noodle stall. Jiro bought Hebe ice cream to cheer her up. Hebe heard some case stories from Jiro and found them to be more fascinating than when Calvin told them.

“Thanks.” Hebe thanked.

There was a lot she wanted to thank him for, but didn’t know whether she should voice them our or not.

“Don’t hesitate to call me if you have anything else on your mind,” Jiro said. “And your dream…I’ll think about it.”

Before Hebe stepped out of the car she turned to Jiro, “You called me Miss Tian the last time we met.”

“Did I?” asked Jiro.  

“Since we’re friends you can just call me Hebe. That’s my name, Hebe.”

Jiro stared at her. He wasn’t accustomed to calling those involved in his cases by their names.

He found himself nodding, “Good night.”

Hebe waved after she got out of the car and walked toward her house.

When he returned to his complex Jiro fell into a deep sleep and woke up early to report to work. He hadn’t gotten anything from Reeve so it meant he had to wait longer for the  answers he was anticipating. If he found something suspicious about Keven’s records then he’d be the only suspect during the moment. When Jiro’s instincts caught on to something, he knew he was always onto something then.

However, the case was going just as he expected. The others on the team had backed out of the case and only a few of them stood behind him. While the chief was no longer in power, but in the hospital no one would listen to Jiro go on about the case. Just 3 years into the police force was it? He would still be considered a newbie. The first year he’d spent there doing paperwork and during his 2nd year he was recruited into the chief’s team. But as Reeve had told him, “You just need to make them respect you.”

||||||||

Depart time was Friday evening. She was told that the bus fee and the hotel fee was paid for so all she needed to bring was some luggage. It was early Friday morning and Selina had only packed two day’s worth of clothes into a bag she’d be able to carry. She was curious about the trip to Chunan. They were supposed to be visiting a company that processed plastic goods and learn something about the acid level there. What experience did this have to do with international business? Selina had wondered many but kept to herself in case she’d make herself look idiotic with her questions.

It was already Friday morning and right after work she’d have to come pick up her bag and leave for the bus. She was so ready for the 2 day trip that the company would provide. If she could get away for a bit she might at least feel better.

After getting into a taxi she walked into the building. Same routine, same avoidance everyday. She’d already stopped wondering about whether she was running away from all her problems because it seemed all too old for her. His face had become a thing she’d become quickly used to during the past week that she’d worked there. It was no big deal because he seemed to be leaving her alone after their small argument the other day. She didn’t know whether to feel grateful or disappointed.

Her heart felt locked in a solid cube just as she felt locked in that room with the others. She couldn’t climb out of the small world she lived in no matter how much effort she put into it. Work hours passed by fast and Selina was already back at her place to catch a quick dinner then headed off again.

The bus station was packed with many people. Mothers and fathers carrying children. Teenagers on their phones talking to friends. The bus drivers visiting each other before the depart time each carrying paperclip boards with them. It was all a place of loud chatter Selina had quickly adapted to. Selina let her eyes browse around allowing her brown eyes to land on every stranger’s face. That was when she saw a familiar figure walk amongst the crowd.

“No way.” she thought to herself.

She looked around some more but didn’t spot any of the other team members. Was this 2 day trip a set up? Selina waited until they were allowed to board and found a seat at the back where she hoped he wouldn’t be able to see her amongst all the strangers. But when she’d been busy looking out the window he’d already found her.

“Can I sit down?” Aaron questioned.

Selina turned around with her hair whipping the air.

“I already sat down,” Aaron smiled playfully.

Selina suddenly felt nervous. She didn’t know herself anymore when he was around her. Her words always came out differently than she intended them to. She was only able to  look at him from the corner of her eyes. He was so relaxed in his seat with his earphones in his ears, Selina felt jealous because she didn’t feel as comfortable as he.  

“Doesn’t your back hurt sitting up like that while the bus is moving?” he asked without looking at her.

Selina let herself fall back into her chair and felt their shoulders touch.

“Sorry, you wanted me to leave you alone but it doesn’t look like that’s happening,” he said.

She was silently beginning to dread the 2 day trip.

||||||||

Jiro had already forgotten about the other date he’d already set a few days before. He was sitting in his office when his eyes began to close that the sudden mental reminder came to him. There suddenly seemed so much to do. He’d need to squeeze the wedding into his schedule along with meeting with Reeve and checking out where Keven lived.

He rubbed his temples and got up from the desk to phone Hebe about the wedding.

||||||||

Selina wanted to move out of her uncomfortable position, but couldn’t even budge because she’d been afraid of falling over him because the bus moved too much. How was he able to see her through the crowd of all these other people? She thought she’d hidden herself pretty well. Anger boiled in her whenever she saw him, but she couldn’t bring herself to do anything when he was actually near her. This fact of longing and missing him that she wanted to deny so much stood out so clearly in her heart that it was painful. Why had she come back just to see him again?

It was dark now and they’d probably reach Chunan in the early morning. The noise from the bus’ engine and the wheels, the radio, and the chattering that was going all around her was all she could listen to. She felt drowned out. Selina turned her head slightly to see that Aaron’s eyes were closed. He had gotten more handsome. Looking at him reminded her of the night they’d fallen asleep together at the library while studying for exams. How long ago it was. As Selina turned her head away Aaron opened his eyes.

“If I had the chance…I’d tell her everything.” he recalled his own words.

He slowly let his eyes land upon her face hoping and wondered if she had missed him. How much different would things be compared to how it was 3 years ago? Maybe not much different because Selina was still keeping her distance and was continuously building a wall around herself. But for him…3 years ago…he’d never stopped loving her. He wanted her to know it even if she wouldn’t acknowledge it. Life had come to a short standstill when the twins had gone missing, but would it move forward again if he solved the problem between him and Selina? Wondering and hesitating made no difference from being a coward and standing back.

The bus came to a halt and Aaron woke up when he felt Selina’s head roll onto his shoulder. When he turned to look at her Selina seemed to wake up herself and immediately gathered herself before standing up. The passengers lined up to get out of the bus and because there were so many people they found themselves squashed and pushing against each other to maintain their place in line. Selina found herself bumping into Aaron’s back and tried to reposition herself to stand up straight in line, but there were too many behind her pushing and pressing themselves into the line she kept falling against him. She slowly reached her hands up to grab his arms to help maintain her balance feeling embarrassed that she had to do so. Once they were off the bus and the bus driver had begun taking out their luggage from the cartridge Selina avoided eye contact.

They grabbed their bags and found their ride which took them to the hotel for breakfast and a short rest before setting off again. The company was a large one. It extended from the parking lot to the other side of the field at the back which wasn’t visible to Selina. Her eyes followed the hot steam floating up from the chimney to the sky where it dissolved. She’d been so busy staring at the steam she didn’t notice a tall, skinny man in his 40’s come out to greet them with a smile. He shook both of their hands.

“We’re glad to have you here,” he said, “you can call me Director Bai.”

“Aaron.”

“Selina.”

“I can guarantee you that our company is one of the top ranked environmental safe companies in Taiwan,” he said and started going on about how they process plastics.

He showed Aaron and Selina a tour inside the factory where the largest machines were placed. After they were introduced to some line managers they were led into a cubed room where a short presentation was held for them. After the presentation they were treated to snacks and drinks then headed outside to take a look at the environment. The director showed them to the main office and led them to the back where flowers still bloomed beautifully and a short stream ran into the prairie. Before they had noticed it a whole day had already flew by.

Before going back the driver took them to a circus show where Selina suddenly found herself screaming in excitement and smiling at Aaron who smiled back. She had forgotten all her feelings and was feeling the bliss she had been longing for. After the show they returned to the hotel for dinner in a good mood. Selina had forgotten all her anger and had even sat with him for dinner. They had been talking about a club trip to the zoo 4 years ago before deciding to head up to their rooms.

“I like you talking to me like this,” Aaron told as they stood in the elevator alone.

Selina remained composed feeling slightly nervous again.

“I…you know about the thing about being friends,” Aaron said.

Selina felt as if the string on her heart had tightened.

“Even if you hate me, but if we can speak like friends who’d just met I would feel better,” Aaron said. “I still want to talk to you, know about how you’re doing. It doesn’t mean we have to stay in a close relationship. There’s a lot I want to tell you…”

“I don’t hate you.” Selina heard herself say.

Her feelings were becoming complicated and were going to become even more complicated if Aaron kept on going. She knew…she understood exactly what he meant. She wanted to be friends, but there was something so dead against it within her.

“But we can’t be friends.” Selina said just before the elevator door opened and she walked out first.

Why did he have to break the mood by bringing up that subject again?

||||||||

Jiro had called before he arrived at Hebe’s place. The wedding had already started and the venue should be packed up with guests by now. He’d purposely come to get her an hour late, so hopefully by the time they make it there it’d be hard for anyone to see Hebe and it’d be difficult for Hebe to see those she knew, especially her parents. Jiro hoped things would really go as he planned or else if Hebe caught onto his plan he wouldn’t know what would happen.

Hebe came out of her house wearing a purple dress that reached her knee and white heels. Her hair was styled with short wavy curls and purple earrings dangling from her ears. Once Jiro smiled at her Hebe turned away shyly.

The wedding venue was packed just as Jiro had expected. There were many more guests  than Mr. Tian had described to Jiro earlier. But he’d told Jiro that there were many people who Hebe did not know and many who wouldn’t recognize her…Jiro hoped he was right.

Flowers were streaming everywhere. On tables, chairs, and hanging up above the orchestra. However, the setting was beautiful. The green grass, in Jiro’s opinion, was the highlight of the wedding and the orchestra added just the perfect tint of romantic feeling to it.

“Good afternoon!” some shouted.

“Thank you for coming!”

“You’re such a cute couple.”

“When are you going to get married?”

“I have 5 children now.”

Hebe walked alongside him without wondering why Jiro didn’t greet others or why others didn’t greet him. She was too busy caught up in her own thoughts about why Jiro would ask her to come and if she’d made a mistake coming with him, as Ella had warned before.

“Hebe!” a voice broke through her thoughts.

Hebe turned to see a girl in a wedding dress rush toward her. Before Hebe could react and try to recognize the girl her arms had already flown around Hebe’s neck.

“I missed you so much!”

Jiro watched them until a plan b idea popped into his head. He turned toward the groom who was standing there waiting for his bride. He was a well reformed man with neat combed hair dressed in a black tux. By looking at him Jiro could tell he was those kind of ordinary businessman who rushed around in the business department with copies of paper for this person and that person.

Jiro walked over to him, “Congratulations.”

“Oh…thank you.” he turned to Jiro.

Jiro stood silently for a moment feeling awkward but leaned toward him whispering, “What’s your name?”

The groom looked at Jiro wondering why someone, the groom assuming he was a relative who’d come to his wedding, would ask that.

“Naza.”

Jiro nodded with a smile then thanked him.

“You didn’t know?” the bride’s voice suddenly rang in Jiro’s ears.

He turned toward the girls to find them staring at him.

“You know my cousin?” asked Hebe.