23

Two Strings Attached

So Keven had a mere obsession with money. Jiro decided to move on, “About the will your grandmother left you, you received the money?”

Hebe nodded, “It got deposited into my account.”

“Is it true Keven became angry because you didn’t care about the money?”

“It’s true. I didn’t have a need for it because all I wanted then was just Aaron.” Hebe’s expression changed a bit when she said his name, but her expression held nothing about being hurt. “I had no choice, but to take the money. My step mother had told me that a deceased one’s wishes have to be carried rightfully by the court.”

“How much money exactly did you receive?”

“My grandmother was rich, so about 10,000.”

“And your brother…”

“I’m not sure. Maybe something in the hundreds…like 500.”

“That’s not a lot.”

Hebe shrugged.

“Do you know what he uses the money for?”

“No, I don’t.”

“You know nothing about his whereabouts right now, right?”

Hebe nodded.

“Ok. That should be all I needed to know right now. Sorry, Hebe, I don’t mean to bombard you with these questions.”

Jiro got up and Hebe got up immediately too. “Are you leaving? You just came here to ask questions?”

She had been hoping that there were other reasons why he had come. Jiro stared at her clearly aware of the answer.

“I’m sorry, but I really have to go now.”

||||||||

It had bothered him all day ever since he’d gotten back from lunch break. After bidding farewell to Selina, who also seemed worried herself, he felt insecure. That something was there…an answer of some sort, but it didn’t come to him. It was the kind of nagging feeling when you know you’re missing something.

Aaron tossed his jacket onto the couch and walked over to the large window looking out upon the city. If it hadn’t been for Keven he probably would have had a great time with Selina, but his sudden appearance ruined it all. Aaron had been well aware of Keven’s personality before and after he’d married Hebe. He wasn’t a good guy and he had no sympathy or whatsoever for anyone. Keven was always higher than those he surrounded.  
 
His doorbell rang and Aaron found himself turning around annoyed. He had stayed behind work to catch up on work and had just returned just 5 minutes ago and now he had an uninvited visitor.

When Aaron opened the door Jiro realized that he didn’t look welcomed. Aaron glanced at him holding onto the doorknob as if debating about whether he should let the investigator in or not.

“I’m sorry to bother you.” Jiro apologized. “I see I arrived at the wrong time, but this is urgent that I speak with you.”

Aaron reluctantly invited him in and offered in a drink, but Jiro politely refused and seated himself down. If Aaron found him a nuisance, he didn’t say so. His distressed expression told Jiro that he was not in the mood to listen to Jiro beat around the bush so he decided to get right to the point.

“Since you were once married to Hebe, I assume you know of her step brother, Keven?” Jiro was surprised when he realized he had specifically called Keven Hebe’s step brother instead of just brother. Maybe Hebe’s cautiousness about it was getting to him.

Whether or not Aaron seemed flustered he didn’t show it. “Yes, I know of him.”

“Those that I’ve questioned so far describe him as aggressive. Would you agree?”

“Yes.”

“What was your relationship with him like?”

“From what I recall he was never around much, but I got to know him while I was still studying. Keven was not those type of good guys and held back sympathy…more like he
had no humane feelings toward anyone especially animals. He like fighting and intended to start some with me, but friends held me back. Sarcastically, I’d say he’s well known for his cruel joke and insults. In sum, we never got along.”

Jiro nodded, “When you moved into that house with Hebe do you remember anyone specific who visited?”

“Mom and dad, Hebe’s parents, and Ella. We weren’t close to anyone then.” Aaron recalled.

“Keven never visited?”

Aaron looked like he was holding something back but replied, “He did.”

But Hebe didn’t remember, Jiro recalled.

“Hebe wasn’t home that day. She’d gone out to visit the grandma at the corner of the block and had taken the twins with her. I had just gotten back from work when Keven came by,” Aaron told.

“He went into the house?”

“Of course. He would have thrown a fit if I didn’t invite him in.”

“Do you remember why he visited?”

“He said he had been cruising by when he passed our house and suddenly thought of dropping by. I just gave him a cup of water.”

“Did you show him around?”

“Not at all.”

Then how would Keven know where the twins’ bedroom was located? Or had he given it a lucky guess when he’d kidnapped the children? Assuming that Hebe had chased out the intruder, she wouldn’t have gotten off the block when she remembered the twins were still in the house. It must have taken at least 1 minute and a half to abduct the children without making a noise. The plan to take the children must have taken a lot of time to be planned out. However, what if Keven wasn’t the kidnapper?  

Hebe’s grandma passed away 4 years ago, so it happened after grandma’s funeral when the will had been divided as she wished. So Keven might have taken a look around the house, but had never gone upstairs. And if he were the kidnapper, he had to know the layout of the house and memorized it. These thoughts raced through Jiro’s mind as he tried calculating out possibilities Keven might have had.

“That’s all I wanted to know. Thank you for having patience with me.” with that Jiro got up and when he saw Aaron got up too he said, “I’ll walk myself out.”

As soon as the door closed Aaron dropped onto the couch to let himself relax before his brain would fry from thinking.