26

Two Strings Attached

“I met with the grandma from the corner of the block yesterday and I’m glad I did. I’ve only begun understanding the position I’ve placed you in the past year and I’m sorry for the misery it caused all of us. I want to apologize and like you said I agree that it’s a good idea if we keep in touch and remain friends. It really eases me to know that you’re doing well.” there she felt better now. All the things that made her sad and go through numerous pain in the past year and the past few days was all gone just because of these quick words. Even though she hadn’t been really specific she believed that Aaron would be able to understand what she was talking about. She was right because the surprised expression on his face told her it all.

“I’d really enjoy it if we could all get together again,” Hebe said.

“Thank you Hebe.” Aaron’s smile seemed so tender.

“Shall we order something to eat?”

And throughout the meal they both forgot about the twins and their problems. The cackling of forks against plates and the waiters who walked back and forth endlessly serving customers their needs. None of those noises were able to break through the peaceful atmosphere that Hebe and Aaron were able to enjoy the first time that year.

||||||||

Selina watched as Aaron grabbed his jacket and had walked out of the office. She had already returned from lunch so he must be out to get something to eat, but that phonecall made her all the more curious. After work hours ended she went with Ah Ken to get some snacks to eat and was on her way back to her apartment. However, along the way something else popped up into Selina’s mind. It hadn’t been long since she’d met with Ella and made up with Aaron, but there was still someone else she needed to see.

||||||||

Jiro was able to make his trip to the estates company right at 8 in the morning. They weren’t open yet, but Jiro had made a call overnight waking up the manager, who didn’t seem too happy that an investigator had contacted him. And just as planned that fat manager with round glasses was standing around inside double checking that the place was neat when Jiro arrived.

“Good morning,” Jiro greeted.

The manager, Mr. Zhou, seemed startled when Jiro’s loud voice echoed inside. He turned around and nodded walking toward Jiro holding his hand out for a handshake.

“Good morning there Mr. Wang. I was certainly surprised that you called last night. I apologize if I seemed a bit rude,” he said.

“No problem at all.” Jiro figured he had to go easy on this man, if he didn’t want to offend him because if he did, this Mr. Zhou might not give him what he wanted. “Looking into records there was a Lu Wei Lian who worked for you.”

“Uh…yes.” Mr. Zhou seemed uncomfortable as he led Jiro into his office.

Two fat leather couches sat in front of his large dark oak desk. His room was a very round square one with a large window behind the desk overlooking the streets. And a picture of an old house hung on the wall to the left. The only item that decorated the room was a large fake bamboo plant to the right of the doorway.

“Please sit down.”

Jiro sat down as Mr. Zhou made his way around the desk and sat down in his large chair moving about. He seemed scared, Jiro figured.

“Can you describe him for me? I’m aware he was transferred from Taichung, was there any reason why?”

“No specific reason. We had an empty position over here which seemed better suited for him so he agreed to come to Taipei.” Mr. Zhou continued. “He’s a middle sized man and by looking at him you know he works out, but working out didn’t make any difference on his body shape. Mr. Lu had short hair and always arrived to work on time, he was a really hard worker. What’s significant about him is that he’s younger than his age. I first thought he was 20 when he joined us, but he was actually a man of his 30’s.”

Jiro jot down everything he said into his memory, “Mr. Zhou is there any particular property that Mr. Lu looked after that you may remember?”

“The houses on the opposite side of town were the ones he took care of,” Mr. Zhou told.

The opposite side of town was where Hebe’s house was located.

“Did he, by any chance, look after Cheng Road, or a house on that street?” asked Jiro.

“I’m unsure about specifics…I’m not sure if I can tell you that myself.” Mr. Zhou stuttered through his quick words.

“Mr. Zhou, I hope you know that this is important that you tell me exactly what you know. If I get misinformation about this, a desperate mother may lose her children forever and I’m dead on sure that I will not be the one at fault.” Jiro warned then finished by saying, “Did Mr. Lu Wei Lian look after the houses for sale on Cheng Road?” He was sure, his instincts knew that Lu Wei Lian was the person responsible for selling the home to a couple who sold the house cheap to Aaron and Hebe.   

“Well…I’m…” Mr. Zhou scratched his nose. “He did look after a house that had been empty on that block and during that time he also took care of it because he liked it so much. I’m aware you should know of that home too. It’s the one where the desperate mother’s twins were abducted. She refused to sell it to us because she was waiting for the return of her kids, but then you know a woman staying inside a two story house alone isn’t very safe, so I wanted to tell her to move into an apartment.”

Jiro gave Mr. Zhou a stern look, “I think her private matters are not something you can decide for her, big real estates manager. How about you just finish answering my questions about Mr. Lu so we can both get out of here?”

Mr. Zhou cleared his throat, pulled at his tie, and continued nervously, “Like I was saying that man was also short of money. He had a serious gambling habit even though he looks like a darn clean man. That’s why we fired him, he asked for money from anyone, even the customers. So I assume his gambling habit will take his life sooner or later.”