29

Two Strings Attached

||||||||

When Aaron awoke he found the spot next to him empty. Had Selina left again without a word? No, she wouldn’t leave when she was in her own apartment. The noise from outside the bedroom assured him that she hadn’t left and was still there. He sat up and got dressed then headed out to find Selina chopping up some veggies. He walked up behind her and pecked her cheek startling her.

“I almost cut myself!” she half shouted. “You’re so quiet it’s a bit creepy.”

Aaron smiled and laughed, “Why’d you get up so early? For a moment I thought you left without saying bye.”

“Moron, this is my place.” Selina said. “I’m an adult, so I can leave whenever I want without having to say anything to you.”

“Mmm…that’s not how the rule goes from now on,” Aaron told resting his chin upon her shoulder.

“No such rule existed in the first place,” Selina pointed out. “Can you go sit down?”

“Don’t want to,” he replied wrapping his arms around her waist, “what are you making?”

“Breakfast,” Selina replied, “for myself, if you won’t leave me alone.”

 “Whatever, Selina. I’ll be in the shower so hurry up. My stomach is rumbling,” he said and walked away.

After breakfast Aaron was forced to wash the dishes while Selina went to take a shower. While he was alone he walked around observing her apartment and headed out to the balcony. He tilted his head to look up at the gray sky where it was on the verge of raining.

||||||||

Jiro had just finished making the phone call and found out something interesting. Apparently, the family that was now living in Lu Wei Lian’s old home were far distance relatives of his. Jiro wondered just how lucky he could get.

He grabbed his jacket aware that it was going to be a rainy day and headed out. His appointment with them wouldn’t be until late afternoon when they would finally get back to the house, so he’d planned to have breakfast with Hebe. When he arrived at the café Hebe was on the phone with who Jiro guessed was Ella.

“I can’t believe you made such a quick decision,” Ella’s concerned voice came from the other line. “I hope you can go through with this.”

“I think it’s how well you know the person, not how long you’ve known him, and I’m positively sure I’ve made the most correct decision in my life.” Hebe told. “You shouldn’t be so disappointed, if you are then just get together with your super tall boyfriend.”

“He’s not my super tall boyfriend.” Ella imitated her.

Hebe looked up when she noticed Jiro, “I gotta run now, goose. Talk to you later.” Hebe turned to Jiro. “You’re here awfully early.”

“Back at you.”

Hebe smiled, “I already ordered.”

“Without me?” Jiro asked in a disappointing tone then smiled. “I’ll get whatever you got.”

“What are you going to do after breakfast? Do you want to have lunch together?” Hebe questioned.

Jiro found himself hesitant with the answer to her question. He never talked to her about his investigations or what he was doing. Was he afraid that if she found out he suspected her step brother she’d get angry? Would she understand if he told her about it? Jiro went back on that thought. He shouldn’t share the twins’ case with her. If she knew how far he was looking into it and who he had in mind the kidnapper was Hebe might find herself in danger. Jiro had had many cases before when the victim was somehow put in danger and the last thing he needed was for Hebe’s life to be on the line.

“I’m not sure. I don’t really plan anything out because my job takes a lot of time from me,” Jiro explained, “but if I find the time I’ll call you, alright?”

“Ok.” Hebe seemed a bit disappointed, but she didn’t say much.

Jiro silently promised he’d bring an end to the twins’ case soon. After he watched Hebe go off to work he headed toward his car. Even if he were a bit early for his appointment he decided it was better to be early than late.

The yard was a big one and the house was one that belonged to a middle class family. From the looks of it Jiro supposed that this Mr. Lu had been rich and the second person he knew of that lived in a two storied house alone. It was a welcoming home with a stone staircase leading up to the white door that had just been recently painted. The exteriors were of a happy yellow and flowers grew underneath the veranda.

When Jiro had just gotten out of his car a dark green van drove pass him and up the drive toward the garage next to the house. He supposed it was the Lu family and was correct when a tall woman, a sturdy man, and a girl and a boy got out.

“Go inside first,” the mother told the children who ran into the house after giving Jiro curious stares.

Mr. and Mrs. Lu made their way to Jiro with welcoming expressions. They were a happy family, Jiro guessed.

“Good afternoon,” Mr. Lu greeted shaking Jiro’s hand.

“Thank you for agreeing to meet with me. I appreciate it very much,” Jiro thanked.

“I heard you’re working on the twins’ case?” Mrs. Lu questioned. “I also specialize with disappearance cases. I’ve been working for a law firm for the past 8 years, so it’s really an honor to meet with you detective.”

Jiro nodded surprised. “I’m not a detective, yet.”

Mrs. Lu smiled, “Would you like to come in? We don’t have much in stock but we can serve you some coffee.”

“Yes, come right in.” Mr. Lu said leading him toward the house.

||||||||

“What are you staring at?” Selina’s voice came from behind him.

Aaron turned around to see Selina walk next to him and rest her arms on the railing.

“I was just thinking it’s going to rain today.”

“Seems so.”

They became silent as their eyes drifted off toward the gray sky. It felt good to be together again, to talk, and spend time together. But there were things Selina couldn’t stop pondering about. If the twins were ever found…she knew it was mean and not right of her to think it but…would they be found dead or alive? A year had passed by since they’ve disappeared, they’ve been gone too long. Anything could’ve happened to them. What if the kidnapper-the suspected one behind it all, Keven-did harm them. Children cry and throw tantrums and being aware of his aggressiveness he probably wouldn’t have mercy on those little children. Selina hated the thought, but every possibility of it came flying to the back of her head every time she saw Aaron, who was worried sick about the twins.

She suddenly felt an arm around her and she turned to see Aaron smiling at her. “I just thought of it. If we ever do, I’m just saying, but if we ever do start a family we should get a dog.”

“Dog?”

“Of course, it could watch the house and help keep it safe. Besides children would probably love playing with the dog too.”

“I suppose…if we ever do.”

His smile was so sincere, so touching Selina found herself praying…that no matter what happened after the twins were found…no matter if Hebe and Aaron got back together…Selina prayed that the twins would be alive.