Project World Domination: Part 2.5

The Escapades of Youngjae and Kyungsoo

Kyungsoo sits across from Youngjae on a bench by the playground, cheek resting on his left palm, right hand tucked beneath his left elbow. He stares at his friend without actually seeing, deep in thought. Youngjae hangs his head back, swinging his legs, and watches as clouds float across the sky. As he waits for a particularly large fluff of cloud to pass out of his line of vision, Kyungsoo exhales heavily through his nose and smacks both hands against the table.

“Okay. We have to get my tooth out. We can have one more chance to get that fairy and her magic.”

“What,” Youngjae blinks. “You want to pull your tooth out. On purpose?”

“It’s the only way,” Kyungsoo explains. “I wanna know how the tooth fairy’s magic works. If we can catch her, we can see what powers she has and maybe use it for our plans!” Youngjae purses his lips, still skeptical. “If we wanna catch the tooth fairy, we need a tooth. And I got a shaky tooth. It’s perfect!” Kyungsoo continues, trying to make his best friend catch on to his logic.

“Okay,” Youngjae replies slowly. “Let me see your tooth? Open your mouth.”

Kyungsoo opens wide and Youngjae stands up on his seat, leaning over the table. “Which one is it?”

“’iz ‘iss ‘on” Kyungsoo mumbles around the finger he currently has inside his mouth, pointing to his bottom left molar. He pushes against it, wiggling it around.

Youngjae frowns, “that doesn’t look like it’s gonna fall out soon.”

“Yes it will,” Kyungsoo retorts, removing his finger. “We’ll make it.”

Youngjae crawls off the table and resumes his seat. “And how‘re we gonna do that?”

“We’ll use one of the nurse’s metal thingys to pull it out,” Kyungsoo says confidently, both hands on his hips, chin lifted up. (Youngjae raises an eyebrow.) “We just gotta get inside the nurse’s office. Easy.”

“Okay then,” Youngjae sighs, giving in. “How are we gonna get inside the nurse’s office?”

“I dunno,” Kyungsoo smiles, abashed. “Didn’t get that far yet.”

--

Jongin gives Kyungsoo the thumbs up and then returns his gaze back to Miss Tiffany, who is currently facing away from her students, spelling out vocabulary words on the whiteboard. Jongin keeps guard as Kyungsoo pulls out a milk carton from his jacket pocket. Surreptitiously glancing left and right (and over both shoulders for good measure) to be absolutely sure no one is watching, Kyungsoo quietly opens the little container. He wrinkles his nose as he stares down at the contents of the carton. Bleh!

--

Kyungsoo had spent most of his lunch time trying to figure out a way to steal inside the nurse’s office. Once again gazing at his best friend but not actually seeing, Kyungsoo is snapped back to reality as Youngjae comments on the staring

“Do I have something on my face? Stop staring. You’re being weird.”

You’re weird,” Kyungsoo retorts, scrunching his nose and sticking out his tongue.

Youngjae shrugs, returning his attention back to drinking his milk. Kyungsoo huffs at the easy defeat. He squints at Youngjae who is slowly sipping on his straw, and is about to provoke another round of battle of the wits, when Kyungsoo finally decides how they will be sneaking into the nurse’s office.

Kyungsoo snatches the carton out of Youngjae’s hands (“Hey! Give it back!”) and takes a packet of biscuits and crumbles them up into small chunks. He opens the packet and dumps the crumbs inside the carton and sets it on the table, exclaiming “I’m genius!”

Youngjae crosses his arms, miffed. “Okay mister genius, why’d you steal my milk? And what are you doing?”

“Just wait,” Kyungsoo says, attention still focused on the carton. A few minutes pass by. He finally takes the carton and shows it to Youngjae. “See? Look! We can use this to get inside the nurse’s office!” Youngjae takes a look inside and quickly leans away, wrinkling his nose. The biscuit crumbs had soaked up most of the moisture, coagulating into a substance that resembles someone’s sick. “Ugh.”

“Here,” Kyungsoo says, handing Youngjae his unopened milk. “You can drink some of mine and make one too.” Slightly appease, Youngjae takes the offered carton.

--

After making sure that no one is watching, Kyungsoo dumps the concoction onto his brother’s shirt. He stashes the carton inside his backpack and places his forehead onto his desk as Jongin begins to shriek.

“Eww! Gross! Ugh!”

Miss Tiffany’s whole body pivots toward the sound of the screaming (Daehyun screaming even louder to help create the right mood) as Jongin quickly strips off his shirt and begins to chase after his revolted classmates, holding the soiled shirt away at arms-length. Students are now scrambling to put as much distance between Jongin and themselves as possible (“EW!” “GROSS!” “GET AWAY!”). Some break for the door while others climb inside cabinets to hide.

“Oh my God, Jessica, you check on Kyungsoo and see if he’s okay!” Tiffany commands before running after Jongin. “Kim Jongin! Stop! Stop, Stop! You come here right now! Kids, please stay right there! Stay by the door! Don’t move! Jongin I said stop!”

Miss Tiffany manages to catch up and subdue Jongin and ties the shirt inside a plastic bag. She makes sure that none of the sick had splashed on to the carpet or desk before ordering the class back to their seats.

“How is he?” Tiffany asks.

“He looks fine. No fever or anything,” Jessica responds, feeling Kyungsoo’s forehead.

Tiffany sighs and returns to her desk. She writes up a note for Kyungsoo to take to the nurse’s office. Then, glancing at the half Jongin, she writes another for Jongin to take to the administrative office so that someone can call his parents to bring him a fresh set of clothes. She hands Jessica the notes and plastic bag containing Jongin’s shirt as Jessica leads the boys out the door, holding the plastic bag with thumb and forefinger.

Miss Jessica drops Kyungsoo off at the nurse’s office before leading Jongin away to the administrative office. Kyungsoo finds Youngjae already sitting on one of the chairs inside. He plops down next to him, trying to pretend illness.

“Zitao cried,” Youngjae whispers. “I forgot to tell him what we were doing. He thought it was real.”

Kyungsoo grimaces. Oops.

The nurse leaves the two for a few minutes in search of more disposable plastic thermometers in the back storage closet (“You two stay put now”).

“Okay quick,” Youngjae hisses as soon as the closet door clicks. Both jump up and rummage through whatever drawers and cabinets they can reach, but come up with nothing. Youngjae huffs in frustration and unease, glancing at the door every few seconds. “There’s nothing.” Neither is able to find anything that may be of use in grabbing hold of Kyungsoo’s tooth to pry it out.

Both heads snap to the door as the doorknob jiggles. The door begins to open, then suddenly closes again (“Oh, wait a sec, I forgot”).

“Okay whatever! No time, no time!” Kyungsoo hisses. “Let’s just try this!” Youngjae looks over to where Kyungsoo is squatted on the floor, fiddling with a spool of thread. Youngjae watches as Kyungsoo tries to tie the string around his molar. He is about to tell Kyungsoo that this seems like a bad idea, but stops, knowing there is no purpose in arguing with him, and instead joins Kyungsoo to help him tie the knot. Kyungsoo then waves him over to the resting cot and motions for Youngjae to climb on top. Both clamber up onto the cot, checking to make sure that the door is still shut.

“I stay, you jump,” Kyungsoo directs, handing Youngjae the other end of the string. Youngjae takes the string and hesitates.

“Go, go! Jump now!”

Youngjae grits his teeth and prepares to jump, bending at the knees, swinging his arms back. As soon as he is about to launch, the closet door opens, the nurse returning with a handful of thermometers and a box of gauze pads and hydrogen peroxide.

“Good gracious, what are you doing?! No, no!”

a/n: this actually turned out a lot milder than the other troubles they have caused. omg im so sorry this didnt turn out at all like i had wanted it to ㅠㅜ i had too many ideas clashing with each other and word vomit happened.